PDA

View Full Version : Why are celebs cutting off all of their hair (or giving up their extensions)

misspurdy06
March 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM
vanessa hudgens

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2011/07/vanessa-hudgens-short-hair-dmv.jpg

larisa oleynik

http://www.larisa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/HAWAII-FIVE-0-Na-Mee-Laua-Na-Paio-Episode-19-2.jpg

Ginnifer goodwin

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BOTQ4MDEwODQzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDc4NzA2NA@@._ V1._SY314_CR11,0,214,314_.jpg

Miley Cyrus

http://style.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/miley-cyrus-haircut.jpg

and now for a convenient slideshow thanks to USWeekly

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-beauty/pictures/celebs-who-chopped-off-their-hair-2011233/13681

barely.there
March 28th, 2012, 07:29 AM
yeah! haha when miley cyrus chopped off her length, i was like DANG! she still looks good, but it was a pretty big change.

I don't think necessarily ALL the stars are doing it. This comes and goes in waves.

For the slideshow, it doesnt say the date of when the stars cut their hair. Jessica Alba has had short hair before. same with Jennifer Aniston. With high profile people, they will always feel like they need a change because they are folks who are always on the move.

Emma Watson cut her hair just to experiment because she had to have her hair long for Harry Potter for her whole life. so shes going through her experimental phase now (if that ever really ends).

Grillz
March 28th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Some of those haircuts are really cute. It makes me wish I could afford celeb-quality extensions so I could chop my hair off whenever I felt like a change :)

racrane
March 28th, 2012, 08:23 AM
They're doing it because they can. They have money to look good and if they dislike the haircut they can always get extensions. Long hair in terms of "fashion" comes and go's.

LocustSpawning
March 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
They're doing it because they can. They have money to look good and if they dislike the haircut they can always get extensions. Long hair in terms of "fashion" comes and go's.

This! I also don't really understand why people care about this sorta thing. :confused:

misspurdy06
March 28th, 2012, 08:29 AM
This! I also don't really understand why people care about this sorta thing. :confused:
It's our culture and in our nature. Perfectly normal.

ktani
March 28th, 2012, 08:33 AM
A lot of times, from actor interviews I have read, it is done for parts they play and comes under requirements of the job, unless they want to wear wigs. It can just be easier and less expensive to cut the hair and or colour it than the alternatives.

Babyfine
March 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Well I think 3 different reasons, really:
1. Damage due to chemical abuse, styling stress, heated tools.
Often actors, ect have to change up color, hairstyles for roles and have their
hair heat styled on a regular basis which naturally is going to lead to damage.
2. Different roles, ect.
Perhaps they need to change lengths or colors for a role.
(although they could use wigs or extensions for that) I once saw Jane Seymour
sporting short hair for a role:blueeek:Turned out to be a wig(whew!)
3. Artistic creativity. As said above, they have money and can afford to expirement more with the hair than those of us on a budget, and get beautiful extensions to wait out the grow out.

DancingQueen
March 28th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I think it is several different things, and long hair is in fashion right now. I think some of the teens, or the disney stars cut it because they wanted to get away from the disney-image, and look older. And maybe because they wanted a change :)

arielįgua
March 28th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I think it can be for many reasons. Job necessity like some mentioned before, personal feeling or because it is a trend, and celebrities are usually the first to try it. For example, in my college is going on this new thing of chopping most of the hair or shaving the whole head in girls. :)
It's nice to experiment once in a while, can you imagine if all of us had long hair? It would be actually pretty cool, lol lol.

rock007junkie
March 28th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I know in an interview Ginnifer said that she likes short hair and has now included in her contract the use of wigs for different roles because she does not wish to grow her hair.

heidi w.
March 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Summer's here. People don't like fur all about.

LOL

heidi w.

ladyshep
March 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Keeps people interested I suppose. (Along with all of the other comments)

princessp
March 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Because (for good or ill) the 90s are back. :)

Celtic Morla
March 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Gennifer Goodwin has had a pixie for years I is one of the closest guarded secrets til recently of hers in every contract she has a wig clause that as she develops he character she will choose the wig that will make he character. He pixie cut in once upon a time is her own hair seen for the first time iany years!0

spidermom
March 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Well, why not? Why does anybody do anything? Why did I choose these socks this morning?

oktobergoud
March 28th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Because it's fun??

freckles
March 28th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well, why not? Why does anybody do anything? Why did I choose these socks this morning?

I'm not sure why but this post really made me giggle. :o Thanks, spidermom.

(Also, yeah, that's pretty much my feelings on the subject)

noelgirl
March 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Well I think 3 different reasons, really:
1. Damage due to chemical abuse, styling stress, heated tools.
Often actors, ect have to change up color, hairstyles for roles and have their
hair heat styled on a regular basis which naturally is going to lead to damage.
2. Different roles, ect.
Perhaps they need to change lengths or colors for a role.
(although they could use wigs or extensions for that) I once saw Jane Seymour
sporting short hair for a role:blueeek:Turned out to be a wig(whew!)
3. Artistic creativity. As said above, they have money and can afford to expirement more with the hair than those of us on a budget, and get beautiful extensions to wait out the grow out.

Damage is a big one, I think. I remember how Jennifer Aniston said she chopped hers because extensions made her hair thinner, and I'm sure that happens more than we hear about, with how much styling is just part of their jobs.

Lady Neeva
March 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I thought it was fashion or for keeping out of way. Who knows?

mrs_coffee
March 28th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I personally love to change things up every once in a while. I've never had really long hair, but I used to grow it out to shoulder length and then chop it all of pixie style because it was fun. I love Miley's new cut. It looks really cute on her and so does Ginnifer Goodwin's pixie cut. I also am in love with Michelle Williams' hair and think it suits her so well.

kidari
March 29th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I think that they get extensions mostly because their careers put them in a situation where professionals are constantly styling and restyling their hair. Nobody's hair can withstand that so they get extensions, because if you heat and tease and spray extensions and they get damaged you just switch them out for a new set and start over. I read in a magazine interview that the most recent time that Jennifer Aniston cut her hair short was simply because her extensions had caused significant damage and thinning so she just cut it shorter.

honeydippedxo
March 29th, 2012, 12:26 AM
So that people can go around making a big deal about it and say things like OMG! did you know Miley cut her hair short?

OR just because they feel like it.

I get a little sad when one of my favorite long haired celebs goes short.
And then a little mad when they try to make it seem like they grew their hair super long a few months later when in reality it's just extensions....