PDA

View Full Version : Would this work? All previous flat iron addicts report here!

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I would like to create this thread as support for those of us who used to flat iron religously and are now dealing with the aftermath=damage. For me, my curls have gone and volume is something my hair laughs at, it is the worst! What does the aftermath mean for you? Is your hair frizzy, not curly, breaking, flat? Come and lets try and make this new ending (feels that way) stage bareable. I have been experimenting with different shampoo and conditioners in an attempt to help this out, my recent idea is to use aphogee 3 minute keratin treatment then aussie 3 minute miracle for moisture rebalance, maybe THIS would get my curls back? I will try to help the best i can to help, so lets see what we can do!

caiti42
March 28th, 2012, 06:22 AM
All I can suggest is keep away from the flat iron!

I used to straighten every day because I thought my hair looked awful without it. Infact it looked awful because I straightened it every day!

Its now been almost 12 months since I stopped straightening every day and I really like the natural texture of my hair now. It took about 3 months for my hair to 'come good'.

Don't get me wrong I still use heat, but only once a week or fortnight now :)

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 06:25 AM

I used to straighten every day because I thought my hair looked awful without it. Infact it looked awful because I straightened it every day!

Its now been almost 12 months since I stopped straightening every day and I really like the natural texture of my hair now. It took about 3 months for my hair to 'come good'.

I haven't touched the iron for 9 months and don't EVER plan to again. I have waited much longer than 3 months, my hair has not come back, it just is, horrible, i don't think it will ever come back, would the protein treatment then moisture work? I would LOVE my natural curls is they would JUST come back! Even all that volume and frizz....i would NEVER flat iron again.......oh what i would give

caiti42
March 28th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I would definitely keep up the treatments. I don't have curly hair only slight waves so the make up of the hair is not the same, but initially I used stacks of protein treatments. Probably every 2nd wash. I would apply to dry hair about an hour before a wash, shampoo my scalp only and then use my regular moisturizing conditioner for 5 minutes after.

cheetahfast
March 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I think the hair won't come back. I cut off my straightening damage. My hair wasn't breaking, it was kinda disintegrating, and there were so many split ends.

The hair always curled, but it got frizzy and some of it was looser (like a few random straight pieces). The frizz never went away, now I know that it was from the heat styling, since now the frizz is minimum.

To be honest my hair's curl pattern has changed so much though that it's confusing. Now my curls are much looser than they used to be. My siggy picture is an accurate image of my curls now. I used to have super tight ones, they were like a 3c. It makes no sense since I have at least 6 inches of virgin hair, I guess my hair type changed :confused:.

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I would definitely keep up the treatments. I don't have curly hair only slight waves so the make up of the hair is not the same, but initially I used stacks of protein treatments. Probably every 2nd wash. I would apply to dry hair about an hour before a wash, shampoo my scalp only and then use my regular moisturizing conditioner for 5 minutes after.

What protein treatment did you use? I had a BAD and i mean BAD run in with protein this summer, used FAR too much, with NO moisture, 2 times daily washing (out of frustration) and blow drying with protein heavy product. I might have to give protein another go, but follow it up with moisture, i know people say moisture is better for curls, but what if my hair doesn't have the structure right now to even curl? In that case, i would say protein is better. it is strange, my hair never looked damaged, it just one day decided to be straight and flat, it is still shiny and looks healthy, it just doesn't look like my hair at all! I am at a loss.....

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I think the hair won't come back. I cut off my straightening damage. My hair wasn't breaking, it was kinda disintegrating, and there were so many split ends.

The hair always curled, but it got frizzy and some of it was looser (like a few random straight pieces). The frizz never went away, now I know that it was from the heat styling, since now the frizz is minimum.

To be honest my hair's curl pattern has changed so much though that it's confusing. Now my curls are much looser than they used to be. My siggy picture is an accurate image of my curls now. I used to have super tight ones, they were like a 3c. It makes no sense since I have at least 6 inches of virgin hair, I guess my hair type changed :confused:.

I refuse to think my hair has just, changed....i want my hair back! I got frizz for a few weeks, then it just went...flat....i don't want to cut it all off either....my hair never looked damage for 3-4 years, it just suddenly, stopped curling. It is really maddening! I am glad you got rid of your heat damage, maybe your hair just needs more TLC? Curly hair is in your genes, it should come back for your ringlets (mine seems to be another matter...i want to BELIEVE it will come back...but idk!)

caiti42
March 28th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I used De Lorenzo Rejuvin8 Treatment. I believe it's an Australian brand.

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I used De Lorenzo Rejuvin8 Treatment. I believe it's an Australian brand.

Oh, i don't know if its avaible here...would the aphogee work?

barely.there
March 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM
It will take its sweet time to come back properly. I don't have natural curls or any split ends, but my hair has been kind of velcro-y the last few weeks, and kind of thin at the bottom hairline. I'm thinking about doing a micro trim today. even though its been 7 months since its last cut, I still cringe T_T

To keep my hair flat naturally, I'm looking to do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uoFcK_zM8o

I practiced putting the hair up last night, and I got it! I do need the large clips like she has though, cause bobby pins just pulls little pieces of the hairs out :/

I'll be working on nutrifying my hair. coconut oil/olive oil and eggs. Once, I used blackstrap molasses, and because of its iron content, my hair was super thick/velcroy feeling.

Gotta get rid of the darn velcro!!!!!!

cheetahfast
March 28th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I refuse to think my hair has just, changed....i want my hair back! I got frizz for a few weeks, then it just went...flat....i don't want to cut it all off either....my hair never looked damage for 3-4 years, it just suddenly, stopped curling. It is really maddening! I am glad you got rid of your heat damage, maybe your hair just needs more TLC? Curly hair is in your genes, it should come back for your ringlets (mine seems to be another matter...i want to BELIEVE it will come back...but idk!)

No mine won't. It simply grows in differently, looser. I have no more hair that was heat damaged. When I was little my hair was straight, so I guess my hair is prone to changing.

I wasn't saying your hair growing in has changed, just that after a certain point of heat damage the hair will not be able to come back from it and curl. The heated hair's molecular structure can become damaged and not curl anymore.

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM
No mine won't. It simply grows in differently, looser. I have no more hair that was heat damaged. When I was little my hair was straight, so I guess my hair is prone to changing.

I wasn't saying your hair growing in has changed, just that after a certain point of heat damage the hair will not be able to come back from it and curl. The heated hair's molecular structure can become damaged and not curl anymore.

Sorry if i was mean, i wasn't meaning to be, i just am scared my hair is permenatly ruined even when regrown. Your hair may be prone to changing, my hair was curly as a kid and was curly until i started to flat iron it. I think i will have to except that even though my hair looks shiny, it IS fried....

JellyBene
March 28th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I used to flat iron my already straight hair so it would be "super straight" a few years ago when I was about 14-15. I did it every day sometimes twice a day to touch up. When I was 16 and decided to grow out my hair and found TLHC I had a TON of damage, my hair was dry, frizzy, dull, flat. It took me 2 years to completely grow out the damage and now I have APL soft shiny healthy hair, basically the complete opposite of how it used to be. It is a hard journey but it is very worth it to grow out all the damage

kitcatsmeow
March 28th, 2012, 07:37 AM

THIS!! I thought I couldn't have a decent hair-day without my blow-dryer, flat iron or curling iron. Now I run from heat and realize my hair looks and feel soooooooooo much better when it's air dried and I wrap it to straighten.

There is still a lot of damage although it's not nearly as noticeable now so I like to wrap it straight as opposed to using heat-less curling techniques since I find them to be straining even though my hair tends to be wavy. And, because of the damage, I can't just let it air dry and go YET. Still have some damage to cut off as it grows but that is my goal.

Careful with the keratin. My hair doesn't like or need it as much as I thought and I had previously bleached hair! Also I never thought I'd be able to go silicone or SLS free because I had damaged hair but....turns out my hair looks and feels better than ever cone and SLS free and 100% all natural ingredients.

Experiment, experiment, experiment. It took my 6 months to break the heat cycle and I've just now adjusted my routine to the new au naturale care. You have to try things out before you assume it won't work and also be prepared for a lot NOT to work. lol.

Worth it in the end when you can find a nice routine! Good luck and CONGRATS on hanging up the heat tools!!!

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 08:13 AM
THIS!! I thought I couldn't have a decent hair-day without my blow-dryer, flat iron or curling iron. Now I run from heat and realize my hair looks and feel soooooooooo much better when it's air dried and I wrap it to straighten.

There is still a lot of damage although it's not nearly as noticeable now so I like to wrap it straight as opposed to using heat-less curling techniques since I find them to be straining even though my hair tends to be wavy. And, because of the damage, I can't just let it air dry and go YET. Still have some damage to cut off as it grows but that is my goal.

Careful with the keratin. My hair doesn't like or need it as much as I thought and I had previously bleached hair! Also I never thought I'd be able to go silicone or SLS free because I had damaged hair but....turns out my hair looks and feels better than ever cone and SLS free and 100% all natural ingredients.

Experiment, experiment, experiment. It took my 6 months to break the heat cycle and I've just now adjusted my routine to the new au naturale care. You have to try things out before you assume it won't work and also be prepared for a lot NOT to work. lol.

Worth it in the end when you can find a nice routine! Good luck and CONGRATS on hanging up the heat tools!!!

I am glad you have figured out what works, i wish i could! I don't feel worthy of being congratulated, my hair is so terrible and ugly now, i don't even think it will grow in right.....should i try the protein? Where do i start, i have tried nearly everything, nothing does seem to work....what do you suggest first? It is just saddening to see my used to be full and wavy/wurly hair flat and lifeless with no volume....and when nothing works, it makes me feel like its not worth trying because its screwed anyway. Sorry to dump all of this on everyone, this is meant to be a thread for all of us trying to help our hair from past heat damage.

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I used to flat iron my already straight hair so it would be "super straight" a few years ago when I was about 14-15. I did it every day sometimes twice a day to touch up. When I was 16 and decided to grow out my hair and found TLHC I had a TON of damage, my hair was dry, frizzy, dull, flat. It took me 2 years to completely grow out the damage and now I have APL soft shiny healthy hair, basically the complete opposite of how it used to be. It is a hard journey but it is very worth it to grow out all the damage

I know what you mean by major damage, i used to compulsivly touch up the flat ironing from the morning, my hair isn't dry or dull, just flat and lifeless (yes, my poofy, curly, full hair has desserted me, this is the WORST of all)

kitcatsmeow
March 28th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I am glad you have figured out what works, i wish i could! I don't feel worthy of being congratulated, my hair is so terrible and ugly now, i don't even think it will grow in right.....should i try the protein? Where do i start, i have tried nearly everything, nothing does seem to work....what do you suggest first? It is just saddening to see my used to be full and wavy/wurly hair flat and lifeless with no volume....and when nothing works, it makes me feel like its not worth trying because its screwed anyway. Sorry to dump all of this on everyone, this is meant to be a thread for all of us trying to help our hair from past heat damage.

Honestly? Cut it. I know that's not what you wanna hear or do but that's your best bet and you will be so happy in the long run. I avoided it and looked for a "magic" cure for months and finally chopped off about 6 inches which has almost all grown back very quickly. It's now sooooo much healthier and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner or cut more.

jeanniet
March 28th, 2012, 10:59 AM
If you were straightening your hair regularly, it may simply be so damaged that you'll have to grow it out and trim it off to see a real improvement. Treatments will help, but it's still damaged hair--that can't really be made new again. In 9 months, you should have 4-5" of new growth, but since the length is what's damaged, you may not be able to see your real texture coming back that well. What I would do is just basic moisture treatments, maybe a protein treatment once or twice a month, and just keep trimming off the damage until it's gone. If you can stand to have your hair back to about SL or even APL, I'd cut it. That will take off most of the damage, and in another year you'd have SL to APL hair that's all healthy.

Vanille_
March 28th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Honestly? Cut it. I know that's not what you wanna hear or do but that's your best bet and you will be so happy in the long run. I avoided it and looked for a "magic" cure for months and finally chopped off about 6 inches which has almost all grown back very quickly. It's now sooooo much healthier and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner or cut more.

I never like advising a cut, but it may in fact be what would help you. I know it will be hard to lose the length, but look at it as a fresh start. You would get to start a whole new set of Update Photos and you would love your healthy hair. You wouldn't think twice about it being damaged. You could get a fresh start and really have a leg up on some of the rest of us who found LHC late and so now half of our hair is healthier than the other half. I bet your thickness would increase.

I actually think you would be happier in the long run. If it's about the length that really bothers you, maybe take an update shot every couple of months but don't come to LHC for a bit? I know it can be hard to see all these progress pictures when your hair is short. I've taken breaks when I was especially upset about my hair. Just find a hobby or another forum. I became interested in astral travel and joined a fascinating forum dedicated to astral travel, obe, lucid dreaming, dreams, religions, and just about anything new age. I got to learn a lot about something I'd always wanted to know more about.

Good luck!

Oksana
March 28th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I used to straighten my hair at least twice a day but have been heat free for nearly 2 years now :)

I still have terrible damage on my ends but my hair is now much more manageable. Conditioner only washing was my turning point.

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I never like advising a cut, but it may in fact be what would help you. I know it will be hard to lose the length, but look at it as a fresh start. You would get to start a whole new set of Update Photos and you would love your healthy hair. You wouldn't think twice about it being damaged. You could get a fresh start and really have a leg up on some of the rest of us who found LHC late and so now half of our hair is healthier than the other half. I bet your thickness would increase.

I actually think you would be happier in the long run. If it's about the length that really bothers you, maybe take an update shot every couple of months but don't come to LHC for a bit? I know it can be hard to see all these progress pictures when your hair is short. I've taken breaks when I was especially upset about my hair. Just find a hobby or another forum. I became interested in astral travel and joined a fascinating forum dedicated to astral travel, obe, lucid dreaming, dreams, religions, and just about anything new age. I got to learn a lot about something I'd always wanted to know more about.

Good luck!

Oh thank you, i don't want to cut and am just trying to wait this out, i hope it really is just heat damage as opposed to soemthing horrible and unfixable. I am just trying to wait this out. I will try the protein and moisture treatments, but if all else fails, i think cutting will remain my last option. I am just scared that since the 4-5 inches of new growth aren't really curling, whats to say the rest of my hair will even grow in curly.....not to mention i don't think my self confidence can take the blow of cutting ALL my hair off....5 inches was tramutizing enough, just think, i would have been PAST WL by now, not nearly maybe BSL.....

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I used to straighten my hair at least twice a day but have been heat free for nearly 2 years now :)

I still have terrible damage on my ends but my hair is now much more manageable. Conditioner only washing was my turning point.

I have considered CO as well, did it give volume?

kidari
March 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I wasn't addicted to the flat iron, I was addicted to the curling iron. Daily use of curling iron and hot rollers damaged my hair so much. It was always dry like hay and the ends may have been breaking off because my hair was thinning and tapering. My solution was to chop off all the damage and stop heat styling.

CurlySasha
March 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I mostly blow-dried, but I deal with the aftermath too. Can I join? :D
Anyway, my hair is very, extremely, incredibly dry. There are lots of split ends, and it's very weak. My hair break so easily.. it's all very saddening.
I'm currently trying out masks, commercial ones and homemade.
To get curls back, moisturize like crazy and scrunch damp hair. It works on me, and my mother whose hair is A LOT more damaged than mine (hers is a disaster I'm trying to fix!)
Good luck!

cfreya
March 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I can definitely recommend aphogee although my hair is straight it really helped strengthen my heat damaged hair
Also smt for moisture
I have been heat free for 3 months now and live my natural texture , still straight-ish but not so absolutely flat as before, why oh why did I succumb to the ghd trend and ruin my hair!

afu
March 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM
my hair too is very damaged from both bleach and daily hot iron use, i straightened my hair every day for at least 3 years and only stopped at christmas (2011). Now i havn'y used heat at all since. I use the cold setting on the hairdryer (which on mine is properly cold) to dry my fringe then air dry the rest.

Again, for me the thing that has made a huge difference recently is CO washing. I follow this with applying coconut oil to the lengths, scrunching then leaving to dry. a month ago i was so upset about the state of my hair i was so scared it would all just snap off one day, now im really happy about the improvement and would never go back to a normal wash regime.

Don't lose hope, i was so sad it took me ages to find the right treatments but now im happy :)

p.s. CO didn't give me extra volume directly, but it has made my curls/waves come back in better condition and keeps them there so really it has made a difference

Littlewing13
March 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Mine took a few months too. I had those squiggly frizzy ends, but used henna & they disappeared. You need intense moisture too. Not sure about curls losing volume, haven't had that problem. But be aware that your curls will drop a little & you will lose a little volume the longer your hair gets (unless you have layers or very tight curls like GRU). In fact many people find curly hair easier to manage when it is longer because the length weighs the curl down.

Vampyria
March 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I used to flat iron my hair every week. I stopped year and a half ago because the ends were always breaking and became really thin. I also started to take birth control pills and I experienced mayor shedding.

My hair was 2a or 2b back then and between BSL and waist. I also gave up the dye, started to air dry, using coconut oil, henna, natural shampoo and conditioner and taking supplements. All that helped with breakage and split ends, but my hair was so thin I had to cut it to APL.

The ends are still a bit thinner than the hair that grew after, but a least I'm on the right path now :) And I'm not touching any of the heat styling appliances ever again!

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I mostly blow-dried, but I deal with the aftermath too. Can I join? :D
Anyway, my hair is very, extremely, incredibly dry. There are lots of split ends, and it's very weak. My hair break so easily.. it's all very saddening.
I'm currently trying out masks, commercial ones and homemade.
To get curls back, moisturize like crazy and scrunch damp hair. It works on me, and my mother whose hair is A LOT more damaged than mine (hers is a disaster I'm trying to fix!)
Good luck!

YES you can join! yay! Thanks for the luck, good luck to you too! I am scrunching my hair for the first time with gel tonight! I just used aphogee 2 minute reconstructing treatment, it has moisture and protein, so i should be good! Smt are great for moisture, i use aussie 3 minute miracle in mine, it is AMAZING.

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I used to flat iron my hair every week. I stopped year and a half ago because the ends were always breaking and became really thin. I also started to take birth control pills and I experienced mayor shedding.

My hair was 2a or 2b back then and between BSL and waist. I also gave up the dye, started to air dry, using coconut oil, henna, natural shampoo and conditioner and taking supplements. All that helped with breakage and split ends, but my hair was so thin I had to cut it to APL.

The ends are still a bit thinner than the hair that grew after, but a least I'm on the right path now :) And I'm not touching any of the heat styling appliances ever again!

Yeah, my ends were SO thin before i trimmed, my previous hairdresser (who i don't like now, nice lady, bad advice) had me convinced my thick hair just tapered like that when it got past BSL...yeah, right, so i found a new stylist, a new salon and chopped 3 inches (after letting the old stylist chop off 2 or so) my hair is nearly BSL and MUCH thicker on the ends, i almost don't know what to do with a blunt hemline....if only my hair had bounce and volume like it used to...with time, i hope Yay for no more heat appliances, congrats! Your ends will thicken up in no time!:)

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Mine took a few months too. I had those squiggly frizzy ends, but used henna & they disappeared. You need intense moisture too. Not sure about curls losing volume, haven't had that problem. But be aware that your curls will drop a little & you will lose a little volume the longer your hair gets (unless you have layers or very tight curls like GRU). In fact many people find curly hair easier to manage when it is longer because the length weighs the curl down.

I have had longer hair with the curls intact before, i'm pretty sure this is damage, this is sevre curl and volume loss, like my 2c hair went to maybe 1b from AIR DRYING and no combing.....it was flat after the comb got to it.....and the volume, i used to have poofy, full hair before all of this, it is not shedding, it is just, flat. Really, my hair disgusts me right now.....

Hollyfire3
March 28th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I have had longer hair with the curls intact before, i'm pretty sure this is damage, this is sevre curl and volume loss, like my 2c hair went to maybe 1b from AIR DRYING and no combing.....it was flat after the comb got to it.....and the volume, i used to have poofy, full hair before all of this, it is not shedding, it is just, flat. Really, my hair disgusts me right now.....

Checking back in to my own thread, alright so i scrunched and scrunched and scrunched some more....and got slight wave thingys that fell straightish, i even scrunched with a cool aired hair dryer...ok so i ended up taking a brush to it and pretty much blow drying it striaght, i think my hair hates me and now just likes being staight.....i might just give up and blow dry it straight, obviously NOTHING is working, i hate my hair I hate me hair I hate my hair! Sorry just had to get that out....

cwarren
March 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I had an afro throughout most of high school. The longer it got, the more annoying it became to maintain it. My hair is very picky with different textures everywhere. When I got to college and could afford it, I had my hair straightened once every two weeks by a beautician. She used and pressing comb then a flat iron at 410 degrees (I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS BAD FOR MY HAIR!!! I SWEAR!). My hair was always bone straight and I loved it. But my hair never got past BSL.

Now that I'm trying to grow out my hair, I only straighten it once every couple of month to be able to manage it (otherwise I'd go bald trying to comb it). There is still some heat damage at the ends of my hair (about 2.5 inches) which I will cut off. My ends remain bone straight and will not curl like the rest of my hair. Neither moisture or protein have any effect on them and are prone to breakage. An awful experience with a horrible conditioner that took out a lot of my hair left my ends VERY thin. I am currently looking for ways to make my 3c/4a hair more manageable.

Miss Maisie
March 28th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Ugh, I was one of these folks! I used to flat iron my hair, then wrap it around foam rollers to "set" the curls. I used to hate how my hair looked when it was straightened, but I wanted a bit of wave/volume to my hair.

As it turns out, I have 1c/2a (mostly 1c) hair. So irony of ironies, I flat ironed my 1c hair to GET a 1c look. My poor hair was just too fried to show its true colors!

I haven't used a flat iron since last July. My hair looks soooo much better, and is growing in thicker and healthier. I am dealing with a wonderful mess of white dots/splits, but coconut oil is helping to keep things smooth and I'm S&Ding a few times a month.

Mesmerise
March 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Your hair WILL go back to normal, I am sure of it!! It just needs to grow out the previously heat straightened bits :D. My hair has permanently changed from flat ironing, it is weird... the hairs just don't have a regular wave pattern anymore... sooo it just looks horrid and frizzy and yuck. I had started to think it would be that way forever, but when I look at pics before I ever heat straightened, I realised that's simply not the case. It's just the straightening messing with the hair structure!!

It WILL take time for your hair to go back to normal... but give it time and it'll be fine ;). After a year of stuffing around with all sorts of different methods from CWC, to CO, to oil shampoo blah blah... I have realised that none of those are going to fix my hair. The only thing that will fix it is the TIME to regrow it!

If your hair structure has changed and become straighter, I don't think it will matter what you do to it, as the structure of the hair has changed (like if you get it permed or something...once it's changed, it's changed until it's grown out).

What I am doing is being patient and wearing it up all the time!!! It sucks as I look much better with my hair loose... BUT my loose hair itself looks horrible, so I am stuck not looking fantastic. But I won't compromise and straighten it anymore!! I've gone 14 months without it and I refuse to go back!!

Mind you... I am pretty sure that some flat iron addicts hair has sort of got back to normal without regrowing, but in my case I am pretty sure now that it just needs to regrow. For others it's possibly different!! It's gonna take me YEARS which is sort of depressing... but at least I'm not damaging it anymore so I am giving it a chance!

missdelarocha
March 29th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Hey Hollyfire3, I've always had fairly straight hair and have quit heat styling but not having a problem with regaining texture, I thought I would also put out there that you have been a member since November 11 and it sounds like you're really using a lot of things at the same time, I know it's frustrating to live with damage but you won't know what helps and what doesn't if you do it all at once and expect instant results.
There's nothing wrong with being a new member just that you might want to start out a little more slowly!
:flower:

Dars
March 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Ohh I love the idea of this thread. I'm checking in with 2.5 years without heat tools touching my hair! Whoohoo. I also hated my hair when I was heat styling it and generally pre LHC. Now I'm so in love! It behaves so well and feels soft and moisturised, curls beautifully!

afu
March 29th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I have considered CO as well, did it give volume?
Coming back to this, one thing i've found (totally by accident) is that if you make a sock bun as high as you possibly can on your head and sleep in it, you get some great volume the next day :)

Hollyfire3
March 29th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hey Hollyfire3, I've always had fairly straight hair and have quit heat styling but not having a problem with regaining texture, I thought I would also put out there that you have been a member since November 11 and it sounds like you're really using a lot of things at the same time, I know it's frustrating to live with damage but you won't know what helps and what doesn't if you do it all at once and expect instant results.
There's nothing wrong with being a new member just that you might want to start out a little more slowly!
:flower:

I had been dealing with this problem for a few months before i joined this site, i know i tried alot at once, but when nothing works, why give it the chance? I try most things for at least a week, but most of the time, i am simply going back to what has worked before, not trying something completly new. I know, i expect instant results, but is really is insane to not have ANYTHINg work even over a month of so. (i tried my newest shampoo and conditioner for a month with little improvement)

Hollyfire3
March 29th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Coming back to this, one thing i've found (totally by accident) is that if you make a sock bun as high as you possibly can on your head and sleep in it, you get some great volume the next day :)

Hmm, i tried a regular bun and it was still wet by morning (great to know my hair is as thick and takes as long to dry as ever....) but maybe a sock bun will be easier to let dry faster?

Hollyfire3
March 29th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Ohh I love the idea of this thread. I'm checking in with 2.5 years without heat tools touching my hair! Whoohoo. I also hated my hair when I was heat styling it and generally pre LHC. Now I'm so in love! It behaves so well and feels soft and moisturised, curls beautifully!

I wish my hair would get to there....how did yours act when you first quite the heat? Oh, and welcome to this thread!:)

Hollyfire3
March 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Your hair WILL go back to normal, I am sure of it!! It just needs to grow out the previously heat straightened bits :D. My hair has permanently changed from flat ironing, it is weird... the hairs just don't have a regular wave pattern anymore... sooo it just looks horrid and frizzy and yuck. I had started to think it would be that way forever, but when I look at pics before I ever heat straightened, I realised that's simply not the case. It's just the straightening messing with the hair structure!!

It WILL take time for your hair to go back to normal... but give it time and it'll be fine ;). After a year of stuffing around with all sorts of different methods from CWC, to CO, to oil shampoo blah blah... I have realised that none of those are going to fix my hair. The only thing that will fix it is the TIME to regrow it!

If your hair structure has changed and become straighter, I don't think it will matter what you do to it, as the structure of the hair has changed (like if you get it permed or something...once it's changed, it's changed until it's grown out).

What I am doing is being patient and wearing it up all the time!!! It sucks as I look much better with my hair loose... BUT my loose hair itself looks horrible, so I am stuck not looking fantastic. But I won't compromise and straighten it anymore!! I've gone 14 months without it and I refuse to go back!!

Mind you... I am pretty sure that some flat iron addicts hair has sort of got back to normal without regrowing, but in my case I am pretty sure now that it just needs to regrow. For others it's possibly different!! It's gonna take me YEARS which is sort of depressing... but at least I'm not damaging it anymore so I am giving it a chance!

This sounds right! My hair is structurly damaged i think i just have to except that, i won't stop trying and i don't think i'll chop, but i will give it time, and i will swear off heat tools, (well, minus tommrow, i am having my picture taken, so i am actually going to blow dry it straight, so it has volume but is straight) i know its counterproductive, but one day won't really kill it more than i already have right? I won't EVER touch a flat iron, so no matter how curl my hair grows back, i will use a blow dryer to straighten it if i must

Hollyfire3
March 29th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Ugh, I was one of these folks! I used to flat iron my hair, then wrap it around foam rollers to "set" the curls. I used to hate how my hair looked when it was straightened, but I wanted a bit of wave/volume to my hair.

As it turns out, I have 1c/2a (mostly 1c) hair. So irony of ironies, I flat ironed my 1c hair to GET a 1c look. My poor hair was just too fried to show its true colors!

I haven't used a flat iron since last July. My hair looks soooo much better, and is growing in thicker and healthier. I am dealing with a wonderful mess of white dots/splits, but coconut oil is helping to keep things smooth and I'm S&Ding a few times a month.

Yeah for thicker hair! I know people who striahgten their straight hair and then curl it also, its crazy and damaging, glad you realized what you were doing, good luck! I am hoping to try coconut oil also.

afu
March 29th, 2012, 06:23 AM
how did yours act when you first quite the heat?

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but i just wanted to say that when i first stopped using heat i didn't really see an improvement for a few months. For me the improvement was triggered by starting the CO routine and coconut oil, i think a big part of it is down to finding the best routine for you :)

Hollyfire3
March 29th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but i just wanted to say that when i first stopped using heat i didn't really see an improvement for a few months. For me the improvement was triggered by starting the CO routine and coconut oil, i think a big part of it is down to finding the best routine for you :)

Its fine, you can answer the question. I have not yet found the right routine, i am trying, i am glad you did though, i'm sure it makes things alot easier.

Becky9679
March 29th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I can't answer this from a personal perspective as I've never used heat styling in my life (I wouldn't know what to do with a flat iron :confused:) but this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) by Nightshade may be of use in case you haven't already read it, it's about the different kinds of damage that can be caused to hair by various methods of styling and ways of rehabilitating it. Hope you find something that works for you there!

afu
March 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the link Becky9679 :)

Hollyfire3
March 29th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I can't answer this from a personal perspective as I've never used heat styling in my life (I wouldn't know what to do with a flat iron :confused:) but this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) by Nightshade may be of use in case you haven't already read it, it's about the different kinds of damage that can be caused to hair by various methods of styling and ways of rehabilitating it. Hope you find something that works for you there!

Very helpful! I read it and wonder if there if lack of curl or volume really IS damage...or something else........

Dars
April 11th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I wish my hair would get to there....how did yours act when you first quite the heat? Oh, and welcome to this thread!:)
It was quite frizzy, dry and "lifeless". When I quit heat, among other things I was also trimming and S&D'ing damage much more frequently than now. Which really helped the transition and coping to no heat/curly hair.

Hollyfire3
April 11th, 2012, 06:34 AM
It was quite frizzy, dry and "lifeless". When I quit heat, among other things I was also trimming and S&D'ing damage much more frequently than now. Which really helped the transition and coping to no heat/curly hair.

I understand the lifeless, my hair often acts as though I have chemically straightened it, it just goes, straight....especially when I use too much protein, it just rebels against all I have know my hair to be....soooo sad! Can heat even cause that sort of chemical straightening reaction? I have never chemically striaghtened my hair or permed it, only heat styled for 3 years. I don't plan to S&D because I want my hemline to be really blunt, so I trim every 4-6 weeks right now to slowly get rid of damage, but once its managble, I plan to trim every few months just for upkeep, trust me, as bad as monthly trims are if your growing out your hair, they helped mantain my hair at BSL with minmal damage to the ends while I was striaghtening daily, yeah, they look 100 times better now with only some of the damage trimmed off and no heat, but without those monthly trims, I cringe to imagine what my ends WOULD have been like...I would have ended up choping to like SL or something terribly short, no questions asked. My poor poor hair....I feel SO bad for it....how long did it take for your hair to look semi normal again?

Jessy22284
April 11th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I gave up flat ironing *most* of my hair about 3 weeks ago after I read on LHC boards about how it changes the texture of your natural hair and kind of flattens it out. I already knew it was damaging it (and my stylist was telling me that pretty regularly that I was hurting it, but I told myself I needed to flat iron my ALREADY STRAIGHT hair to keep it in line - dumb). I am still using the iron VERY lightly on my bangs :o to curl them out around my face because I can't get them to cooperate in the morning. I do use a hair dryer in the AM because I have to be to work by 6-7 and I don't have time to let it air dry.

In the last 3 weeks I've already seen a big difference in my hair. It's thicker, it's softer. I think it's fuller too and has more volume and is less matted down. I'm not sure if it's because I've also made other changes in my hair care since lurking on LHC (oiling, condition/shampoo/condition, wide tooth combing, using mane and tail, etc.). Overall, I'm glad I've for the most part given up the flat iron. I'm going to try to give it up completely, but addictions are hard to break

Hollyfire - just stay at it - through reading all your posts it seems like you had a lot of damage, and you get discouraged about it, but you have been working really hard to repair it. It's going to pay off. Just keep at it!

Hollyfire3
April 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I gave up flat ironing *most* of my hair about 3 weeks ago after I read on LHC boards about how it changes the texture of your natural hair and kind of flattens it out. I already knew it was damaging it (and my stylist was telling me that pretty regularly that I was hurting it, but I told myself I needed to flat iron my ALREADY STRAIGHT hair to keep it in line - dumb). I am still using the iron VERY lightly on my bangs :o to curl them out around my face because I can't get them to cooperate in the morning. I do use a hair dryer in the AM because I have to be to work by 6-7 and I don't have time to let it air dry.

In the last 3 weeks I've already seen a big difference in my hair. It's thicker, it's softer. I think it's fuller too and has more volume and is less matted down. I'm not sure if it's because I've also made other changes in my hair care since lurking on LHC (oiling, condition/shampoo/condition, wide tooth combing, using mane and tail, etc.). Overall, I'm glad I've for the most part given up the flat iron. I'm going to try to give it up completely, but addictions are hard to break

Hollyfire - just stay at it - through reading all your posts it seems like you had a lot of damage, and you get discouraged about it, but you have been working really hard to repair it. It's going to pay off. Just keep at it!

I'm proud of you for attempting and suceeding to give up flat ironing!:) It IS hard to stop, it was for me, then it literlly happened that one day, I blow dried my hair and it was straighter (granted I was visting family in Arizona) than the next time, it was nearly completly straight and just kept getting flater and flater and I kept trying to remedy it with henna and placenta treatments in the red package (they are protein heavy, my hair hated them) I kept obsessing and blow drying and ripping a brush through in misery, hating my hair, trying new masks and products and all the while blow drying with a sticky product and my ends got worse and worse until I went to my old hairdresser (who I no longer go to) got trim after trim, a 2 inch trim at one point, lossing most of my length too, and kept trying new stuff. Its the weirdest thing, if I get the right, perfect balance of protein and moisture, my hair is perfect purely perfect, but other than that the chemical straightening look comes to haunt me....straightening straight hair, SO glad you found this place! I have been trying hard, hopefull it pays off. I am glad you are finding what works, it must be a great feeling! Going heat free does add more softness and volume, its incredible right?:)

cfreya
April 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM

I'm proud of you for attempting and suceeding to give up flat ironing!:) It IS hard to stop, it was for me, then it literlly happened that one day, I blow dried my hair and it was straighter (granted I was visting family in Arizona) than the next time, it was nearly completly straight and just kept getting flater and flater and I kept trying to remedy it with henna and placenta treatments in the red package (they are protein heavy, my hair hated them) I kept obsessing and blow drying and ripping a brush through in misery, hating my hair, trying new masks and products and all the while blow drying with a sticky product and my ends got worse and worse until I went to my old hairdresser (who I no longer go to) got trim after trim, a 2 inch trim at one point, lossing most of my length too, and kept trying new stuff. Its the weirdest thing, if I get the right, perfect balance of protein and moisture, my hair is perfect purely perfect, but other than that the chemical straightening look comes to haunt me....straightening straight hair, SO glad you found this place! I have been trying hard, hopefull it pays off. I am glad you are finding what works, it must be a great feeling! Going heat free does add more softness and volume, its incredible right?:)

I was the same, straightening my straight hair, ridiculous isn't it !

Now when I air dry I realise the blow dryer was actually making my hair MORE frizzy after drying, meaning I had to use the straightener to flatten it back down and smooth it out :rolleyes:

Jessy22284 3 weeks is quick to see an improvement! It took a few months for me but now it is definitely paying off (I cut down to once a week for a few months and then in Jan went cold turkey)

Also Hollyfire, I know you have hundreds of things to try out but have you tried mineral oil? It may not bring back your curls but it will help to moisturise the damaged ends, I never thought it would work but now I keep a bottle of baby oil in the shower and use ONE drop immediately after washing hair, it really does help damaged hair soo much, I thank Ktani soo much for passing on her knowledge of MO!

Does anyone else here with damaged hair find that for the first few days after washing hair the ends look much better, but the longer you go from wash day the drier and more split they look? Or is my hair just weird:(

cfreya
April 11th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Also Hollyfire why don't you try and join the "Wear Hair Up" thread?

I have just joined because obviously with our heat damaged hair the ends are very delicate and I hope it will help me to stop fussing with my hair and just let it grow, I joined after seeing the "Surprised by your hair" thread where so many people were saying they kept it up for a while and when they let it down they realised it looked so much longer!

I'm gonna do it until my birthday May 20th (if I can avoid the temptation to wear my hair down, I just love hair down)

That might help you to relax and just let it grow, rather than experimenting too much and worrying about the wave/curl pattern:)

Tia2010
April 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hollyfire3
Your hair does sounds damaged from the past heat and other things you have been trying. Maybe give it a few weeks (even months) without any product or new things.... just moisturize/oil it and put it up and let it be.... Wear lots of hats/ scarves/braids if necessary, but just leave it be for a while to let it try and re-balance itself. It may help.

You may also be at an "in between" stage. My hair gets to a point where it will look crazy and just not feel like itself for a few weeks till it grows a half inch then it seems to right itself..When that happens I wear it up and do as little as possible to it till it sorts itself out :D

I hope it all works out for you! :grouphug: I know it can be frustrating trying to get your hair to be what you know it can be when it just wont cooperate with you! Just give it time...You will get it back to what it was!

carolinaberry
April 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm certainly no expert here, but when my daughter decided she wanted to wear her natural curls, we had to cut all of the damaged hair out because no matter what treatments we put in it or any other efforts, the curl pattern was changed. We are about to have to do it again, because she decided to wear her hair straight (after a keratin treatment, flat ironed) for a year and the curl pattern was again changed. I wouldn't suggest you cut it all off at once, but you may have to commit to regular trims until all of the damaged curl is gone.

Hollyfire3
April 11th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm certainly no expert here, but when my daughter decided she wanted to wear her natural curls, we had to cut all of the damaged hair out because no matter what treatments we put in it or any other efforts, the curl pattern was changed. We are about to have to do it again, because she decided to wear her hair straight (after a keratin treatment, flat ironed) for a year and the curl pattern was again changed. I wouldn't suggest you cut it all off at once, but you may have to commit to regular trims until all of the damaged curl is gone.

I am trimming regularly, no worries there, glad to know I'm not alone in curl patterns being altered by heat, I thought i had gone crazy and made it up!

Hollyfire3
April 11th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Hollyfire3
Your hair does sounds damaged from the past heat and other things you have been trying. Maybe give it a few weeks (even months) without any product or new things.... just moisturize/oil it and put it up and let it be.... Wear lots of hats/ scarves/braids if necessary, but just leave it be for a while to let it try and re-balance itself. It may help.

You may also be at an "in between" stage. My hair gets to a point where it will look crazy and just not feel like itself for a few weeks till it grows a half inch then it seems to right itself..When that happens I wear it up and do as little as possible to it till it sorts itself out :D

I hope it all works out for you! :grouphug: I know it can be frustrating trying to get your hair to be what you know it can be when it just wont cooperate with you! Just give it time...You will get it back to what it was!

I don't know many updos...many are suggesting I wear my hair up to help it, but with it being so flat, it often makes my buns just look, bad...the only thing I like to do is a looped ponytail with a big scruncie

Tia2010
April 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I don't know many updos...many are suggesting I wear my hair up to help it, but with it being so flat, it often makes my buns just look, bad...the only thing I like to do is a looped ponytail with a big scruncie

Trust me I know that feeling :D I can only do a ponytail, a (messy) side braid and the "throw it up and put a clip in it and pretend it's a style" style :D (But I'm learning more..ever so slowly)

It doesn't have to be a real updo...cool hats, draped scarves, big flowers/little flowers and hair jewels would all be fun things to use without having to know many buns/updos. :D

Hollyfire3
April 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Trust me I know that feeling :D I can only do a ponytail, a (messy) side braid and the "throw it up and put a clip in it and pretend it's a style" style :D (But I'm learning more..ever so slowly)

It doesn't have to be a real updo...cool hats, draped scarves, big flowers/little flowers and hair jewels would all be fun things to use without having to know many buns/updos. :D

I can't wear drapes and scarves and such to work, the dress code doesn't allow it.:( My hair won't go into a side braid (stupid hair) The clip gives me a headache because the amount of hair I stuff (or attempt to stuff) into it does not agree with even the largest clip I own, I end up with a half put up lump that just gives a major headache...oh no fun! Braids are no fun because my hair is 2 inches from BSL and looks short in a braid, I just don't know...my hair is dificult! If you come across any other styles that work for you, let me know please! A week of looped ponytails in scunchies and nearly exploding claw clips are no fun! (lol you should see me try and fold my hair to get all of it in the clip, I end up with a big loop at the top containing most of my hair, I look in the mirror and say, can i call this a style? Lol, then I take it down soon because of the weight.....

door72067
April 11th, 2012, 09:13 PM
a Chinese bun is comfy to wear

julliams
April 11th, 2012, 09:53 PM
A couple of things :

Sometimes the wave pattern starts below the chin/shoulders so you may just simply have to wait until your new growth gets past that length.

I heat straightened every couple of days for years and years. When I found LHC in September 2009 I gave it up, clarified and started putting moisture back into my hair. Twice a week most weeks I did either an SMT (after shampooing) or lite coconut milk soak (before shampooing) and I found that it took several months, but my curls did start to come back. After I trimmed in April 2010, you can distinctly see my wave started to come in. It was like chalk and cheese. The two things that made the difference were length and moisture and the trim might have simply been a good cut for my hair.

If you take a look at my albums you can see the progress from November 2009 and you will be able to see the difference at April 2010 for yourself. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9430

So, get some moisture into your hair and stick with it. It's going to be one of those things you are going to have to keep up for several months and be consistent with it.

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 05:36 AM
A couple of things :

Sometimes the wave pattern starts below the chin/shoulders so you may just simply have to wait until your new growth gets past that length.

I heat straightened every couple of days for years and years. When I found LHC in September 2009 I gave it up, clarified and started putting moisture back into my hair. Twice a week most weeks I did either an SMT (after shampooing) or lite coconut milk soak (before shampooing) and I found that it took several months, but my curls did start to come back. After I trimmed in April 2010, you can distinctly see my wave started to come in. It was like chalk and cheese. The two things that made the difference were length and moisture and the trim might have simply been a good cut for my hair.

If you take a look at my albums you can see the progress from November 2009 and you will be able to see the difference at April 2010 for yourself. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9430

So, get some moisture into your hair and stick with it. It's going to be one of those things you are going to have to keep up for several months and be consistent with it.

I just started using tressme moisture shampoo and nexxus moisture conditioner, it seems to be working a bit better (knocks on tree wood) my hair some curls but not any volume yet, your right, moisture is key, maybe this can be my long term shampoo and conditioner to get my hair back in shape? Coconut milk made my hair waxy feeling, maybe it was the brand I used, what bradn do you use?

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 05:38 AM
a Chinese bun is comfy to wear

Not sure if my hair is long enough, correction, I have tried it, its not long enough. My measurments are actually a bit off, I never changed them when I chopped 3 inches from BSL to nearly APL, but even then, my hair wouldn't make the proper chinese bun. Is there a short hair variation?

julliams
April 12th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I just started using tressme moisture shampoo and nexxus moisture conditioner, it seems to be working a bit better (knocks on tree wood) my hair some curls but not any volume yet, your right, moisture is key, maybe this can be my long term shampoo and conditioner to get my hair back in shape? Coconut milk made my hair waxy feeling, maybe it was the brand I used, what bradn do you use?

I'm in Australia so alot of our brands won't be available elsewhere. IN any case I just look for lite coconut milk (not cream) and I only use 1/3 of a can on my whole head of hair so one can lasts me 3 treatments. I just freeze the other 2/3 in two separate ziplock baggies and thaw them out in hot water the next time I use them. I put it on my hair, leave it on for an hour and then just wash and condition as normal.

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I'm in Australia so alot of our brands won't be available elsewhere. IN any case I just look for lite coconut milk (not cream) and I only use 1/3 of a can on my whole head of hair so one can lasts me 3 treatments. I just freeze the other 2/3 in two separate ziplock baggies and thaw them out in hot water the next time I use them. I put it on my hair, leave it on for an hour and then just wash and condition as normal.

Lite coconut milk, okay, will try that for a DT soon. Does coconut milk have protein? My hair hates protein sometimes (it varies depending on its current likes that day...) Does the coconut milk make your hair feel waxy? Or maybe its the brand I bought. I looked at your pictures, from the furthest to the most current, there is a big difference, but at the short length you started, my hair was poofier and a bit curlier when I had that length without heat (now I'm back at that length or maybe a few inches longer, with the damage and it is straighter than that pic) so, my hair is on the wavier side of 2b/2c, but the advice from you will still holds true, moisture moisture and more moisture, what updos could you do at that length?

marioma
April 12th, 2012, 06:21 AM
i also have heat damage from flat iron , I am transitioning so i'll cut the damage at the certain length , after 8 months of experimenting the only thing that worked fpr me is applying lots of conditioner while my hair is dropping wet , the braiding my hair in 4-5 braids and twisting the ends around my fingers and put a bobby pin .

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 06:24 AM
i also have heat damage from flat iron , I am transitioning so i'll cut the damage at the certain length , after 8 months of experimenting the only thing that worked fpr me is applying lots of conditioner while my hair is dropping wet , the braiding my hair in 4-5 braids and twisting the ends around my fingers and put a bobby pin .

Your gonna cut all the damage off? I'm proud of your bravery! That braid thing seems like it might work well.

julliams
April 12th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Lite coconut milk, okay, will try that for a DT soon. Does coconut milk have protein? My hair hates protein sometimes (it varies depending on its current likes that day...) Does the coconut milk make your hair feel waxy? Or maybe its the brand I bought. I looked at your pictures, from the furthest to the most current, there is a big difference, but at the short length you started, my hair was poofier and a bit curlier when I had that length without heat (now I'm back at that length or maybe a few inches longer, with the damage and it is straighter than that pic) so, my hair is on the wavier side of 2b/2c, but the advice from you will still holds true, moisture moisture and more moisture, what updos could you do at that length?

My hair hates protein too. An avocado mask made it completely straw-like and horrible. The coconut milk doesn't make it waxy at all - completely soft and lovely. It's really worth a try for around $1 a treatment or even less.

Updoes at APL were few and far between but the lazy wrap was my first bon other than the regular cinnabun. Then when I got a little longer my favourite bun is the chopstick bun (look for pencil bun on youtube). It's by far my favourite bun and it's worked for me through all my lengths.

I pretty much only put my hair up when I'm working. When I'm lazing around my hair is out.

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 06:36 AM
My hair hates protein too. An avocado mask made it completely straw-like and horrible. The coconut milk doesn't make it waxy at all - completely soft and lovely. It's really worth a try for around $1 a treatment or even less.

Updoes at APL were few and far between but the lazy wrap was my first bon other than the regular cinnabun. Then when I got a little longer my favourite bun is the chopstick bun (look for pencil bun on youtube). It's by far my favourite bun and it's worked for me through all my lengths.

I pretty much only put my hair up when I'm working. When I'm lazing around my hair is out.

I will get lite coconut milk and use it when I'm do for a DT next week or so, right now, my shampoo and conditioner seems to be helping so I don't want to risk chnaging that balance. The lazy wrap bun...I can't get it to work for me right now, do you have simlified tips or instructions? I have read the article, but it confuses me. The pencil bun is also confusing...I need simple tips, I think I'm hair style impared. I don't put my hair up often, but I know I need to at least every so often, especially with all this damage.

julliams
April 12th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I will get lite coconut milk and use it when I'm do for a DT next week or so, right now, my shampoo and conditioner seems to be helping so I don't want to risk chnaging that balance. The lazy wrap bun...I can't get it to work for me right now, do you have simlified tips or instructions? I have read the article, but it confuses me. The pencil bun is also confusing...I need simple tips, I think I'm hair style impared. I don't put my hair up often, but I know I need to at least every so often, especially with all this damage.

This video made the most sense to me for the pencil bun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34

And this one for the lazy wrap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt771qkO24

I'm a visual learner so reading about it is pointless for me. I need to see it and do it at the same time and then practice it over and over. The first 10 times won't work and then magically it works!!

Best tried on second day+ hair as it's a little oilier and holds better.

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 06:45 AM
This video made the most sense to me for the pencil bun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34

I'm a visual learner so reading about it is pointless for me. I need to see it and do it at the same time and then practice it over and over. The first 10 times won't work and then magically it works!!

Thanks! I don't know if I have the length to do the lazy wrap, but my hair is past APL...second day hair doesn't exist for me right now, I wash every day out of frustration and hoping it works, once I find a routine and shampoo and conditioner I adore and works continuously, I will stretch washing to at least every 3rd day. What are your other best tips for better hair? I just saw your thread on your HL hair, it looks ALOT like mine, except I have a blunt (very blunt now that I am heat free for a while yay!) hemline and dark chestnut hair instead of your color.

julliams
April 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks! I don't know if I have the length to do the lazy wrap, but my hair is past APL...second day hair doesn't exist for me right now, I wash every day out of frustration and hoping it works, once I find a routine and shampoo and conditioner I adore and works continuously, I will stretch washing to at least every 3rd day. What are your other best tips for better hair? I just saw your thread on your HL hair, it looks ALOT like mine, except I have a blunt (very blunt now that I am heat free for a while yay!) hemline and dark chestnut hair instead of your color.

It seems we have the exact same hairtype!! Honestly my best tips are
1) Moisture treatments twice a week (or weekly if this gets to be all too much) until you personally feel your hair is healthy (could take 6 months) and then just do them as needed. I alternated between SMT's and the Coconut soak.
2) Wash only as you need to and make sure you clarify about every 3 - 4 weeks to avoid any buildup.
3) Use a good leave in (I use Giovanni Direct Leave in after a wash on wet hair and Nightblooming Panacea on second day+ on the ends.
4) S & D as necessary which is easier to do as it gets longer and also more necessary.
5) To avoid frizz at the crown, I bun my hair when it's wet and it dries really flat on top. Then once it's dry, I let the length out and do my best to keep my hands out of it. Sometimes I scrunch with a towel too which gives me a little more wave. Just depends on what I'm going for.
6) Try not to always want more length and think that your hair will not be nice until it's "x" long. I felt that way alot but I look back on the pictures and it looked nice the whole way through. Try to enjoy it all the way. Take pics each month and watch your growth. It's a good way to find out what your growth rate is and how it looks on your body. This was how I decided to get layers cut BACK in.

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
1) Moisture treatments twice a week (or weekly if this gets to be all too much) until you personally feel your hair is healthy (could take 6 months) and then just do them as needed. I alternated between SMT's and the Coconut soak.
2) Wash only as you need to and make sure you clarify about every 3 - 4 weeks to avoid any buildup.
3) Use a good leave in (I use Giovanni Direct Leave in after a wash on wet hair and Nightblooming Panacea on second day+ on the ends.
4) S & D as necessary which is easier to do as it gets longer and also more necessary.
5) To avoid frizz at the crown, I bun my hair when it's wet and it dries really flat on top. Then once it's dry, I let the length out and do my best to keep my hands out of it. Sometimes I scrunch with a towel too which gives me a little more wave. Just depends on what I'm going for.
6) Try not to always want more length and think that your hair will not be nice until it's "x" long. I felt that way alot but I look back on the pictures and it looked nice the whole way through. Try to enjoy it all the way. Take pics each month and watch your growth. It's a good way to find out what your growth rate is and how it looks on your body. This was how I decided to get layers cut BACK in.

This all looks great! I will start following these now, using a leave in conditioner after I wash. I will try to enjoy my hair at all lengths, but the damage is the real issue right now. I have layers in my hair, or at least I used to, I am trying to grow (almost wrote crow, no clue why) them out, some are still there (they were supposed to be long layers, but the hair dresser made them uneven, I don't go to her anymore, not cool) , most of them are grown out and I am trying to get one even long layer through my whole hair 2 or so inches above the hemline to make it look fuller and bouncier at the bottom, at past WL I might grow to one length, but I am down with bunches of layers, not that they didn't help make my hair lighter, they just look bad IMO. Can I PM you with questions or concerns? You are very helpful, thank you:)

palaeoqueen
April 12th, 2012, 09:21 AM
This is definitely a thread for me! A bit of background... as a child my hair was poker straight (and platinum blonde *sigh*) but started to develop a wave when I hit puberty. The texture also became fluffier and less silky and the colour started to darken. From the age of about 13 I have blow-dried and bleached my hair in an attempt to recreate my childhood hair. I also started using straighteners in my early twenties (they didn't exist before then ;) ). I first visited the LHC on recommendation of a friend, who has beautiful hair, maybe two years ago but I didn't take much in. I don't know what triggered it but I finally had a lightbulb moment last year, started reading around the forums and eventually stopped using heat and bleach on my hair.

And guess what? My horrible unruly frizzy hair is finally started to regain it's natural texture and wave! Ok so it'll never be poker straight but it turns out that when I'm not busy killing it my waves are actually really pretty. I stopped bleaching nine months ago and it's now four months since I used any dye or heat (except my fringe, I do straighten this occasionally but it's very short and doesn't have chance to build up damage). It has been very hard. I've spent most of the winter with my hair in a really crappy looking ponytail as it's still too short to do anything else with but it has really helped take my mind off the state of my hair. Now that spring is here it's easier to just wash and let it air dry to see how the waves are coming on and honestly, it's looking better month by month.

I just wanted to share my story to give you hope! Your hair will recover but it will take time. You are definitely not alone. My hair is still a bit too unpredictable to wear it down and natural for special events but I keep telling myself, if it's this much improved already, just imagine how it will be when all the nasty bleach and heat damage is gone. Oh and I'm with you on the not cutting, mine would greatly benefit from a big trim (had a little one yesterday) but as it's barely shoulder length at the moment I would have to cut it to a chin length bob to see a real difference and I just can't bear it.

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM
This is definitely a thread for me! A bit of background... as a child my hair was poker straight (and platinum blonde *sigh*) but started to develop a wave when I hit puberty. The texture also became fluffier and less silky and the colour started to darken. From the age of about 13 I have blow-dried and bleached my hair in an attempt to recreate my childhood hair. I also started using straighteners in my early twenties (they didn't exist before then ;) ). I first visited the LHC on recommendation of a friend, who has beautiful hair, maybe two years ago but I didn't take much in. I don't know what triggered it but I finally had a lightbulb moment last year, started reading around the forums and eventually stopped using heat and bleach on my hair.

And guess what? My horrible unruly frizzy hair is finally started to regain it's natural texture and wave! Ok so it'll never be poker straight but it turns out that when I'm not busy killing it my waves are actually really pretty. I stopped bleaching nine months ago and it's now four months since I used any dye or heat (except my fringe, I do straighten this occasionally but it's very short and doesn't have chance to build up damage). It has been very hard. I've spent most of the winter with my hair in a really crappy looking ponytail as it's still too short to do anything else with but it has really helped take my mind off the state of my hair. Now that spring is here it's easier to just wash and let it air dry to see how the waves are coming on and honestly, it's looking better month by month.

I just wanted to share my story to give you hope! Your hair will recover but it will take time. You are definitely not alone. My hair is still a bit too unpredictable to wear it down and natural for special events but I keep telling myself, if it's this much improved already, just imagine how it will be when all the nasty bleach and heat damage is gone. Oh and I'm with you on the not cutting, mine would greatly benefit from a big trim (had a little one yesterday) but as it's barely shoulder length at the moment I would have to cut it to a chin length bob to see a real difference and I just can't bare it.

Welcome! Glad to know you saw the light, I hope it works out for you, we will all try to help you the best we can! Embrace your waves, I'm sure their beautiful!

palaeoqueen
April 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the welcome :) I look forward to sharing some pics once I get round to taking some.

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome :) I look forward to sharing some pics once I get round to taking some.

Your welcome for the welcome!:) Looking foward to pictures and good luck!

Dars
April 13th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'd say my hair improved in texture about a year from being on LHC, you can view my pictures in my album if you wish (red top versus purple top). Heat styling definitely changes the structure of the hair shaft (like chemical use) and I experienced the straightness in damaged hair as well. That's good that you're trimming often. Health over length any day for me too.

MissHair
April 13th, 2012, 10:52 PM
My hair is all of the above I think. Some days flat, some days frizzy. Some days breaking at the nape. I don't use it as much as I used to. Two years ago it was everyday, without heat protection. Now I do it once a month when I do my lenght-pics.

Does anyone else remember life without hair straighteners established? I remember those days... Those were the good days. Mind you, my hair is naturally straight but once I became addicted to them I felt my hair looked ''wavy'' natural because the flat iron made it look even more straight than humanly possible.

Hollyfire3
April 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I'd say my hair improved in texture about a year from being on LHC, you can view my pictures in my album if you wish (red top versus purple top). Heat styling definitely changes the structure of the hair shaft (like chemical use) and I experienced the straightness in damaged hair as well. That's good that you're trimming often. Health over length any day for me too.

Yeah, I just am microtrimming every month or so, my ends look 100 times better without heat. I just hate myself a little bit for doing this permanently to my poor hair...i hate heat!

Hollyfire3
April 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
My hair is all of the above I think. Some days flat, some days frizzy. Some days breaking at the nape. I don't use it as much as I used to. Two years ago it was everyday, without heat protection. Now I do it once a month when I do my lenght-pics.

Does anyone else remember life without hair straighteners established? I remember those days... Those were the good days. Mind you, my hair is naturally straight but once I became addicted to them I felt my hair looked ''wavy'' natural because the flat iron made it look even more straight than humanly possible.

Heat damage is the worst isn't it! I say stay on this thread, we can all help each other out, welcome!

DarkSky
April 14th, 2012, 03:54 PM

Great advice from start to finish!!!
I'm going to give tip 5 a try for something different.

Hollyfire3
April 14th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Great advice from start to finish!!!
I'm going to give tip 5 a try for something different.

Just warning you, wet or damp buns take FOREVER to dry (think, 8 hours overnight, still damp in the morning for like 3 or so more hours on only in between APL and BSL hair, but the results are great!

ceruleanlove
April 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Something I saw on another thread that may help. It might take a little searching to find one that will work well if you hair is being difficult, but it's worth a shot!

http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/

ladonna
April 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I tried the tea rinse suggestion from one of your threads. I just grabbed what I had in the kitchen. So 4 tea bags, a splash of acv. Then some olive oil after towel drying my hair. My hair back to waves and curls if I do this every morning.
Back went I gave up flat ironing I did have to chop my hair from almost waist to shoulder. I was a sad time for me, right now I am slowly trimming off dye damage.

geeorgie
April 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I think I'm going to have to keep checking in here xD I'm trying to stop using my straighteners, it's hard but I'm doing much better! I'll eventually have to grow out the heat damage, but I'm not even at shoulder now so it's going to be a slowwww process.

Hollyfire3
April 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I think I'm going to have to keep checking in here xD I'm trying to stop using my straighteners, it's hard but I'm doing much better! I'll eventually have to grow out the heat damage, but I'm not even at shoulder now so it's going to be a slowwww process.

Why straighten your hair? You say you're a 1b, thats pretty straight, I say layer on the cones and maybe comb carefully while drying, no need to use heat at all.

Hollyfire3
April 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I tried the tea rinse suggestion from one of your threads. I just grabbed what I had in the kitchen. So 4 tea bags, a splash of acv. Then some olive oil after towel drying my hair. My hair back to waves and curls if I do this every morning.
Back went I gave up flat ironing I did have to chop my hair from almost waist to shoulder. I was a sad time for me, right now I am slowly trimming off dye damage.

The tea rinse brought back curls? Wow, I never heard of that, I once tried tea to darken my hair, but never did it enough to see real results, maybe I can try it to get back my wurls? I don't want to chop, it would just make me more miserable...but I am microtrimming off the damage slowly, so no worries, it will all be gone eventually.

LaceyNg
April 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I can't wear drapes and scarves and such to work, the dress code doesn't allow it.:( My hair won't go into a side braid (stupid hair) The clip gives me a headache because the amount of hair I stuff (or attempt to stuff) into it does not agree with even the largest clip I own, I end up with a half put up lump that just gives a major headache...oh no fun! Braids are no fun because my hair is 2 inches from BSL and looks short in a braid, I just don't know...my hair is dificult! If you come across any other styles that work for you, let me know please! A week of looped ponytails in scunchies and nearly exploding claw clips are no fun! (lol you should see me try and fold my hair to get all of it in the clip, I end up with a big loop at the top containing most of my hair, I look in the mirror and say, can i call this a style? Lol, then I take it down soon because of the weight.....

have you tried tucking under the ends of your braid? to me that always looks so pretty, and fools the eye into thinking the updo is more elaborate and the hair is longer :)

thanks for sharing these, Hollyfire3! the lazy wrap FINALLY makes sense to me!!!! *is excited*

i, too, am a former straightener. and to top ot off, i'm also a former chemical dye-user-- all on my fine, 1b-ish hair :(
the irionic part is that when i straightened my hair, it was SO much worse naturally, so then i *had* to straighten it again for it to look neat. i've been heat-free since joining LHC, soooo.... *checks* a year and 4 months or so. it took me a good 4 or 5 of those months before i felt like my hair was noticably improved. in that time i've trimmed off probably 5 or 6 inces or so. i'm *IN LOVE* with self-trims, since i can take of as little as i want :)

what's mde the most difference to my hair:
* giving up shampoo and conditioner. first i went CO, and my hair LOVED that! scalp was still irritated though, so now i'm WO. and i think it's really helping my hair, being coated in it's own natural sebum. i think it helps to hide some of the damage that i'm not ready to part with.
* switching from chemical dyes to henna. the henna isnt at all damaging, although it IS a bit drying for the first few days afterwards. and since my henna never loses it's color, i dont need to re-do often at all. i do glosses, so theres not a stark, obvious line of demarcation.
*JOJOBA OIL!!!!!! <-- for the win! it mimics my hair's natural sebum, and just soaks right in! i've heard that its actually a wax and that it doesnt penetrate the hair shaft, but coconut oil, which does, made my hair crunchy at the ends, while jojoba oil makes it soft!

also, an observation about my hair since ditching the straightener and dye: i have SO MUCH LESS BREAKAGE! i know this b/c i have a TON of shorter hairs that stick out all over-- hairs that USED to be broken off, but are now able to gain length. right now it's making my updo's look untidy, but after another year or so they shoudl go back in an updo nicely :)

Hollyfire3
April 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
have you tried tucking under the ends of your braid? to me that always looks so pretty, and fools the eye into thinking the updo is more elaborate and the hair is longer :)

thanks for sharing these, Hollyfire3! the lazy wrap FINALLY makes sense to me!!!! *is excited*

i, too, am a former straightener. and to top ot off, i'm also a former chemical dye-user-- all on my fine, 1b-ish hair :(
the irionic part is that when i straightened my hair, it was SO much worse naturally, so then i *had* to straighten it again for it to look neat. i've been heat-free since joining LHC, soooo.... *checks* a year and 4 months or so. it took me a good 4 or 5 of those months before i felt like my hair was noticably improved. in that time i've trimmed off probably 5 or 6 inces or so. i'm *IN LOVE* with self-trims, since i can take of as little as i want :)

what's mde the most difference to my hair:
* giving up shampoo and conditioner. first i went CO, and my hair LOVED that! scalp was still irritated though, so now i'm WO. and i think it's really helping my hair, being coated in it's own natural sebum. i think it helps to hide some of the damage that i'm not ready to part with.
* switching from chemical dyes to henna. the henna isnt at all damaging, although it IS a bit drying for the first few days afterwards. and since my henna never loses it's color, i dont need to re-do often at all. i do glosses, so theres not a stark, obvious line of demarcation.
*JOJOBA OIL!!!!!! <-- for the win! it mimics my hair's natural sebum, and just soaks right in! i've heard that its actually a wax and that it doesnt penetrate the hair shaft, but coconut oil, which does, made my hair crunchy at the ends, while jojoba oil makes it soft!

also, an observation about my hair since ditching the straightener and dye: i have SO MUCH LESS BREAKAGE! i know this b/c i have a TON of shorter hairs that stick out all over-- hairs that USED to be broken off, but are now able to gain length. right now it's making my updo's look untidy, but after another year or so they shoudl go back in an updo nicely :)

Oh my, thank you for all the tips and the long post! Thank julliams for the video on the lazy wrap bun, I can't even do one yet what with my thickness and length (or more like lack there of) of 2 or so inches away from BSL. Stoping the straightening DOES help with breakage, doesn't it? I have noticed this also, my hemline is SO thick now, its crazy!

spookyghost
April 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Hi everyone-Im so glad I found this community and this thread!:D

Hollyfire3, I feel your pain and everyone elses too. I too am addicted to heat. Right now its only the flat iron that I use about four times a week but I need to stop it. Plain and simple. Because I threw my hair under the bus and got bleach highlights back in December, my hair looks horrible. I'm pretty embarrased. I cant believe I did something so stupid to my poor hair. What was I thinking?

Its been about two months that I either air dry or cold blow dry my hair everyother day. I start work at 6am so it is very hard for me to air dry during the week but if I get up at 4am I can do it and just get to work on time. My hair looks awful. Bleach and the flat iron-their the devil!! My hair is about an inch above my bra strap and its not like the bleach its going to fade and all of a sudden look healthy. I have to let this grow out:( I am really sad because my hair looks so bad if I dont flat iron it on the days that I do wash it. I already wear my hair in a pony tail on the days that I dont and I just look so much better with my hair down. Plus my hubby loves my hair down and even though he thinks Im beautiful no matter how I wear it, I know how much he loves it down and I like to wear it like that for him. And today I lifted up some of the bleach highlights to check out the hair underneath and it looks amazing. Well at least compared to the bleach parts!

Another issue that has been on my mind alot is my dirty blonde hair isnt the greatest color and I have some gray too. So Im thinking that I always have to at least have some color in my hair for me to be happy with how I look. I always get compliments that I dont look my age and I would like that to keep it that way. So then I begin to wonder if I can have nice hair and get my hair colored too. My hair has me exhausted-I need a hug!:D We all need a hug!

Hollyfire3
April 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone-Im so glad I found this community and this thread!:D

Hollyfire3, I feel your pain and everyone elses too. I too am addicted to heat. Right now its only the flat iron that I use about four times a week but I need to stop it. Plain and simple. Because I threw my hair under the bus and got bleach highlights back in December, my hair looks horrible. I'm pretty embarrased. I cant believe I did something so stupid to my poor hair. What was I thinking?

Its been about two months that I either air dry or cold blow dry my hair everyother day. I start work at 6am so it is very hard for me to air dry during the week but if I get up at 4am I can do it and just get to work on time. My hair looks awful. Bleach and the flat iron-their the devil!! My hair is about an inch above my bra strap and its not like the bleach its going to fade and all of a sudden look healthy. I have to let this grow out:( I am really sad because my hair looks so bad if I dont flat iron it on the days that I do wash it. I already wear my hair in a pony tail on the days that I dont and I just look so much better with my hair down. Plus my hubby loves my hair down and even though he thinks Im beautiful no matter how I wear it, I know how much he loves it down and I like to wear it like that for him. And today I lifted up some of the bleach highlights to check out the hair underneath and it looks amazing. Well at least compared to the bleach parts!

Another issue that has been on my mind alot is my dirty blonde hair isnt the greatest color and I have some gray too. So Im thinking that I always have to at least have some color in my hair for me to be happy with how I look. I always get compliments that I dont look my age and I would like that to keep it that way. So then I begin to wonder if I can have nice hair and get my hair colored too. My hair has me exhausted-I need a hug!:D We all need a hug!

hugs and hugs and MORE hugs!!! It WILL get better, your hair will grow and yes you CAN have healthy but colored hair, you can use semi permanent color, deposit only, henna or even regular hair dye if you treat your hair right. You don't have to except your grays if you don't want to and you CERTAINLY don't have to sacrifce your looks for healthy hair, I suggest moisture with all the highlights you have and maybe put a temporary color over them to help them look more even and to help the hair look healthier? Is your hair long enough for updos? If so, try some of those (the french twist a cinnabun)instead of a simple ponytail.

Hollyfire3
April 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I've come for help on my own thread lol.....I don't know what to do, my hair is straight again, and it was JUST starting to come back....I don't know what happened, I used the same shampoo and conditioner and got curls now, it is just, blah. Its not build up, I clarifyed recently, I DID however use a vinegar rinse monday night (it made it straighter and just flat and nasty and terrible....) and washed my hair last night but had to re wash while still damp because I didn't lather well enough and my hair was feeling coated. Well, now it just feels stripped, I am considered coconut oil, maybe a DT, but I want to rewash or at least rewet my hair because I WILL NOT deal with it straight and stripped for even one more day...should I go ahead and wash again? Oh what to do!

geeorgie
April 17th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Why straighten your hair? You say you're a 1b, thats pretty straight, I say layer on the cones and maybe comb carefully while drying, no need to use heat at all.

It's the classic case of straightening the hair that's already straight scenario:p It's just a hard habit to break when I'm so use to doing it. I think I'm going to have to stick with cones, I've tried no cones and my hair just does not like it at all,so i'll keep those for further down the line when my hair is newly grown and recovered! (maybe..)

Hollyfire3
April 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
It's the classic case of straightening the hair that's already straight scenario:p It's just a hard habit to break when I'm so use to doing it. I think I'm going to have to stick with cones, I've tried no cones and my hair just does not like it at all,so i'll keep those for further down the line when my hair is newly grown and recovered! (maybe..)

Yeah, cones take wave out for most people, try it, you might like it better than straightening. You could always wrap your hair while its damp to further straighten it?

ShelleyJane
April 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Does anyone have any tips for growing out wavy hair without using straighteners??? I would love to give up the heat... but I have that kind of wavy hair that just makes me look like a mad professor until it grows enough to complete its curls... I'm growing out a pixie cut and have about five inches of hair all over... I feel like my only solution is to straighten :(

jtsck
April 17th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I've come for help on my own thread lol.....I don't know what to do, my hair is straight again, and it was JUST starting to come back....I don't know what happened, I used the same shampoo and conditioner and got curls now, it is just, blah. Its not build up, I clarifyed recently, I DID however use a vinegar rinse monday night (it made it straighter and just flat and nasty and terrible....) and washed my hair last night but had to re wash while still damp because I didn't lather well enough and my hair was feeling coated. Well, now it just feels stripped, I am considered coconut oil, maybe a DT, but I want to rewash or at least rewet my hair because I WILL NOT deal with it straight and stripped for even one more day...should I go ahead and wash again? Oh what to do!

My advice? You like this shampoo and conditioner you are using. Stop using anything else for now. Consider the two week rule law for you right now. :guns: I know its hard, I want to do a million new things to fix the problems too. But the happiest you've seemed to be is with this S&C. :D

I would wait to wash it as long as you can and then wash it. Focus on doing all the steps like you need to when you are doing it so you can avoid the double wash.

Good luck, you seem to be making progress in how you feel about how this is going and I don't want to read that you are upset again! It makes me want to help, but that means making suggestions and I think you have tons of those!? :)

Hollyfire3
April 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM
My advice? You like this shampoo and conditioner you are using. Stop using anything else for now. Consider the two week rule law for you right now. :guns: I know its hard, I want to do a million new things to fix the problems too. But the happiest you've seemed to be is with this S&C. :D

I would wait to wash it as long as you can and then wash it. Focus on doing all the steps like you need to when you are doing it so you can avoid the double wash.

Good luck, you seem to be making progress in how you feel about how this is going and I don't want to read that you are upset again! It makes me want to help, but that means making suggestions and I think you have tons of those!? :)

Would washing today hurt? Thank you for the tips, I WAS a bit happier with this current product, until this all happened....

spookyghost
April 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Im sooo new at this and I really wish I could give you some good advice on how to help your hair. I do like what jtsck said. I think that sounds like a good idea to try-especially since you are really happy with your shampoo and conditioner. I dont have much experience with natural curls. My hair is fine and straight, I couldnt buy a curl!

Oh and thank you so much for your very sweet words of encouragement-I really needed that! Its so nice to actually hear someone else say that there is definately light at the end of the tunnel:p Isnt it funny how important hair is? I love my hair. Its a part of me and who I am. My husband loves long hair and I love having it for him. If only I would have taken care of it better. Truthfully, until I found hair oiling on you tube and this site, I had no idea on how to really take care of my hair. Hey, better late than never huh?:D

Hollyfire3
April 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Im sooo new at this and I really wish I could give you some good advice on how to help your hair. I do like what jtsck said. I think that sounds like a good idea to try-especially since you are really happy with your shampoo and conditioner. I dont have much experience with natural curls. My hair is fine and straight, I couldnt buy a curl!

Oh and thank you so much for your very sweet words of encouragement-I really needed that! Its so nice to actually hear someone else say that there is definately light at the end of the tunnel:p Isnt it funny how important hair is? I love my hair. Its a part of me and who I am. My husband loves long hair and I love having it for him. If only I would have taken care of it better. Truthfully, until I found hair oiling on you tube and this site, I had no idea on how to really take care of my hair. Hey, better late than never huh?:D

Yup, better late than never! There IS light, don't worry, it just takes some patience. Hair is important, it really is, and it can be beautiful too, with some love and TLC. Just baby your hair, enjoy it as it is right now, love it all, then one day, you will wake up with hair you genuinely love and want, but it won't happen over night. :) If your hair is straight and fine, try being gentle, don't brush hard, don't handle it too much, just wash it air dry and let it be. Try some deep treatments for your hair to keep it from being too dry, try coconut oil, but also be sure not to try too much at once.

jtsck
April 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Would washing today hurt? Thank you for the tips, I WAS a bit happier with this current product, until this all happened....

I don't think it will hurt at all. Just make sure you don't want to wash it again right after! I fight this too, I try to avoid touching my hair as it dries because I am usually ok with how it dries but don't like how it feels wet! In fact I am sitting here right now with my hair in a turban so I will leave it alone until it is more dry.

Hollyfire3
April 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I don't think it will hurt at all. Just make sure you don't want to wash it again right after! I fight this too, I try to avoid touching my hair as it dries because I am usually ok with how it dries but don't like how it feels wet! In fact I am sitting here right now with my hair in a turban so I will leave it alone until it is more dry.

Yeah, I HATE the feeling of wet hair, heavy and just yuck! My hair takes forever to dry and I assume yours does too? so not fun! I washed it and am now sitting with it dripping....

jtsck
April 17th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I HATE the feeling of wet hair, heavy and just yuck! My hair takes forever to dry and I assume yours does too? so not fun! I washed it and am now sitting with it dripping....

Mine is taking a bit longer than it used to, I CO now and that stretches the drying time. I don't worry about curls though so I just comb it out and put it in a ponytail after some time in a turban. I did discover that I can have curls now that my hair is nice and moisturized. I just have to baby it to a point that I just don't want to do it. Especially since I have to wear it up in a bun for work anyway!

Hollyfire3
April 19th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Mine is taking a bit longer than it used to, I CO now and that stretches the drying time. I don't worry about curls though so I just comb it out and put it in a ponytail after some time in a turban. I did discover that I can have curls now that my hair is nice and moisturized. I just have to baby it to a point that I just don't want to do it. Especially since I have to wear it up in a bun for work anyway!

Moisture seems to help my curls (or what little I have left) but sometimes (like recently) I need protein to pick them back up...its so weird... tried CO once with vo5, it didn't work, I should really try it with some other conditioner, but my will to try a completly new method has died with these past bad results just....no fun.

afu
April 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Moisture seems to help my curls (or what little I have left) but sometimes (like recently) I need protein to pick them back up...its so weird... tried CO once with vo5, it didn't work, I should really try it with some other conditioner, but my will to try a completly new method has died with these past bad results just....no fun.

Dont lose hope :heart: after years of straightening i lost so much of my natural curl, but on my current care regime im getting more and more back every week, reckon i'll be up to full 3 soon :) CO and cocnut oil definitly saved the day for me

jtsck
April 20th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Just stick with what you are doing for now and if in 2 weeks things still look good you can go from there!

The biggest problem with starting CO is figuring out what condish works for you and what methods to use. For example, I put my condish on dry hair, massage it in and then wet it in stages and keep rubbing it in as I wet it and then finally rinse it out. I also can't use a second condish or my hair wigs out. I didn't learn all of this right away and spent a month dealing with stupid looking hair.

Try some positive affirmations! (You can look at me like I am crazy if you want!) Everyday find one thing you like about your hair even if its that it isn't doing the same silly thing it did yesterday. Its hard to do but it can help you feel better.

Hang in there, you are really doing good things for your hair and it will get better!

afu
April 20th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I also can't use a second condish or my hair wigs out.

I too only use a one stage CO, cheap supermarket own brands seem to work best for me (and most are cone free, here anyway). Maybe if you previously tried a 2 stage CO the second conditioner may have added too much weight for you