PDA

View Full Version : Growing out pixie with no trims? Scared of the "M"

Isa Ferrara
March 28th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Just curious if anyone has any pics of their progress if they chose not to trim while growing out their pixie cut. I *really* don't want to trim, I'm feeling so stingy right now.

I have a gorgeous wig - and I wear it on weekends/nights out. But I feel like I might feel weird if I just started wearing it every day...like, go from henna pixie to long strawberry blonde 'do the next. Granted, a close friend thought I got extensions (seriously?! haha!). I don't want to switch back and forth with my daily life, really - I'm a student with a custodian job. It's not like I *have* to look fantastic, even if the wig is really minimal upkeep. Plus it's summer and I don't want to be super hot all the time.

I guess I'm just scared of the whole mullet thing. Is it THAT bad? Should you really just trim as you go? I love scarves, I guess...I'd need to stock up on some nice silky ones for summer...

So, any pics? :eyebrows:

Amber_Maiden
March 28th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Not everyone who grows out a pixie eventually has a mullet!

misspurdy06
March 28th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I thought it always grew out like a shag.

hs_atreides
March 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM
You will reach shag stage, which can actually be fun. The mullet only becomes problematic if you decide to change from shag to bob territory.

I used scarves, headbands, mini-buns (i.e. Bjork, circa Big Time Sensuality, and anything I could think of.

Pixie0763
March 28th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Isa, I'm growing out a pixie too. I haven't had a trim in well over 6 months. If I flip the ends out, I think it looks like a long shag.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/Pixie0763/HairMarch2012.jpg

XcaliburGirl
March 28th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I think it depends on your original cut, how your hair grows, etc. I trimmed once, not counting a longer short cut I got before deciding to grow out my hair. I have some pictures in my album of my grow-out. No matter what you do, I think it does end up looking a little messy, but it all depends on whether you want to get there quickly or neatly.

It always seemed like I had alternating bad hair weeks and good hair weeks.

barely.there
March 28th, 2012, 07:19 AM
It will depend on your layers on whether it looks like a mullet or a shag. When I was growing my hair out, I had to cut it a few times in a year just to make it look decent. then when most of the layers were at my shoulders, I had it professionally styled to something that would look still look great as it grew out without me having to trim it all the time. As your hair grows out, you will see for yourself whether or not you need to cut it, and where exactly it needs cutting.

Roscata
March 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I grew out of a pixie cut.

This is the pixie cut: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/ioana2adelina/TheLongHairComm/IMG_0223.jpg

Here's the first year at LHC: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/ioana2adelina/TheLongHairComm/lengthwdates-1.jpg

Then I cut off all the layers.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/ioana2adelina/TheLongHairComm/beforeandafterhenna-rooibos.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/ioana2adelina/TheLongHairComm/3monthprog.jpg

The truth is that as my hair grew longer and longer the layers blended with my hair to the point where I didn't see them, all I saw was a thin hemline.

While my hair grew I did put it up as much as possible because I didn't want to see the awkward stages. That means I was in headband and ponytail land for over a year, then I moved onto Gibson tucks and French braids until my hair hit APL when I could do Cinnamon buns and lazy wraps.

I hope that helps. Good luck! :)

heidi w.
March 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Not everyone who grows out a pixie eventually has a mullet!

In my hair album is a picture of me when I had short hair, as short as Princess Di, and I colored and styled it then. I grew it out to mid-calf length, and that's where i now keep it trimmed. I never went through a mullet phase, although I had differently layered hair for a time. But I kind of forget those days now.

heidi w.

arcane
March 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I once grew out a cut that was long in the front, but pixie length in the back. I did cut off the mullety part once, it was just like the last inch of my hair on my scalp that made it look mullet-y and I cut it off myself once. Other than that it grew out nicely.

lapushka
March 28th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I grew out from a pixie multiple times in the past. When it got to a mullety stage, I'd always tuck my hair behind my ears, or pin the sides back. It helps calm it a bit. I always chose to trim the back until the sides could catch up some, going to a sort of bob-stage.

BeccaAngel
March 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM
wow, i remember growing out from the start. ah memories of a new beginning! sometimes i wanna do the short hair all over again! because i love long hair and short hair, but then i remember the time and effort to grow it all out and go back to loving my longer hair. i'm sure there is a mullet-like stage but i never really paid attention enough to notice because i was focusing on how to keep it healthy. good luck though :)

Isa Ferrara
March 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Thank you so much for all of your replies and pictures!!! I see that it's different for everyone. Calling it a "shag" makes me feel better too, lol.

You guys have made me feel really reassured. We'll just see what happens with mine, I guess. I need to get some pictures for my own sanity now - I feel like it's going to take forever. Hair accessories, here I come.

Mesmerise
March 28th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Well... I avoided the mullet because my hair has enough natural curl/wave (especially in the underlayers) to make it not look mulletty! But with 1a hair I don't know ;).

Sometimes it's just better to trim those ends off? Not necessarily get rid of all the layers, just the very bottom ones which is what makes the mulletty look. Then once you've got more of a bob with just a few layers, you can grow to your heart's content!

Isa Ferrara
March 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Well... I avoided the mullet because my hair has enough natural curl/wave (especially in the underlayers) to make it not look mulletty! But with 1a hair I don't know ;).

Sometimes it's just better to trim those ends off? Not necessarily get rid of all the layers, just the very bottom ones which is what makes the mulletty look. Then once you've got more of a bob with just a few layers, you can grow to your heart's content!

My hair doesn't have much body, so yeah. :o That's a good idea. The lady who cut it last didn't do much of a taper to my neck, and it's fairly straight across the back. I might just have to suck it up and trim...I just wonder what that would look like from the back! Mine might honestly just grow into a nice, straight shag. I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks!

mrs_coffee
March 28th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I tried to wait it out but I ended up hacking off the mullet looking length in the back. It's been about a year and a half since I started growing it and even with trimming I've made good progress.

Isa Ferrara
March 29th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I tried to wait it out but I ended up hacking off the mullet looking length in the back. It's been about a year and a half since I started growing it and even with trimming I've made good progress.

Your hair in your avatar looks gorgeous - you give me hope! Thanks for sharing your experience!

icallitbliss
March 29th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I've grown out 4 pixies in 8 years. Currently growing one out now! With the first 4, I just kept the mullet the entire time, and never thought about it. Within a year each time I cut it into a bob, and then, well, after that kept cutting back into a pixie.

Anyway! I had decided to take a different approach and keep cutting the mullet. What's happened is that it's made me frustrated because without the mullet, it's even harder to pull it back into a little mini ponytail. Which means if you keep trimming, you're stuck with the awkward ear length and below stage for a very long time. And there's nothing you can do about it except let it hang there.

So...this time I'm letting my mullet grow. I cut into a pixie in August of 2011 and was down to ear length. But there were so many layers that I cut the top pieces all one length am keeping the mullet. Needless to say, it looks awful, but the sooner I get into a ponytail, the sooner I won't even look at this mess.

It seems like if you cut the mullet, growing out takes longer. If you don't cut, it might look funny sometimes, but for me, ponytails are worth it.

Once the mullet and the rest grow out, it just looks like long choppy layers. Some people like to not cut and keep growing from there, but I plan on evening everything out once my top layers hit chin. To each their own!

oktobergoud
March 29th, 2012, 04:58 AM
To each their own, I guess! I'm growing out a pixie and have cut the mullet every 2 months or so for a year! Now it's finally at a decent length that I can just let the back grow out like the rest. But for me, there was no other option! I hated the mullet so much, I knew I was sure I'd cut it all off because I'd get so frustrated with the mullet.

So yeah, I guess it takes a bit longer that way, but to me it is very much worth it. Plus, when you have a pixie you'll most likely have tons of layers anyway that will need to be cut one day!

But again, it's different for everyone :) (there are some pictures in my album by the way! Or here: http://myboringhair.tumblr.com/tagged/monthly-picture ) :)

XcaliburGirl
March 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I've grown out 4 pixies in 8 years. Currently growing one out now! With the first 4, I just kept the mullet the entire time, and never thought about it. Within a year each time I cut it into a bob, and then, well, after that kept cutting back into a pixie.

Anyway! I had decided to take a different approach and keep cutting the mullet. What's happened is that it's made me frustrated because without the mullet, it's even harder to pull it back into a little mini ponytail. Which means if you keep trimming, you're stuck with the awkward ear length and below stage for a very long time. And there's nothing you can do about it except let it hang there.

So...this time I'm letting my mullet grow. I cut into a pixie in August of 2011 and was down to ear length. But there were so many layers that I cut the top pieces all one length am keeping the mullet. Needless to say, it looks awful, but the sooner I get into a ponytail, the sooner I won't even look at this mess.

It seems like if you cut the mullet, growing out takes longer. If you don't cut, it might look funny sometimes, but for me, ponytails are worth it.

Once the mullet and the rest grow out, it just looks like long choppy layers. Some people like to not cut and keep growing from there, but I plan on evening everything out once my top layers hit chin. To each their own!
I completely agree. After my one trim, I went through about 3 months of bad hair, but now that I can put it in a ponytail, it is such a relief. Totally worth it.

mrs_coffee
March 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Your hair in your avatar looks gorgeous - you give me hope! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thank you! :) You will get there, it just takes a whole lot of patience...which I am not very good at, but hang in there and it will happen.

Isa Ferrara
March 29th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Again, gorgeous hair and gorgeous pics everyone!

So ... a ponytail is important to me. I think as soon as I can do little pigtails I can be happy having a little extra thin length on the end where it grows out. I have officially decided no trimmings of the mullet! :D

spidermom
March 29th, 2012, 11:49 AM
It's good that there are so many different options. I had my growing-out pixie trimmed/shaped about every 6-8 weeks. I couldn't tolerate the shapeless mess of the in-between stages.

Bunnysaur
March 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I grew out from a pixie multiple times in the past. When it got to a mullety stage, I'd always tuck my hair behind my ears, or pin the sides back. It helps calm it a bit. I always chose to trim the back until the sides could catch up some, going to a sort of bob-stage.

That's what I did, minus the trimming. My hair guy gave me this cut that was totally freakin' awesome, a really cool asymmetrical bob/pixie thing. Think Emma Watson on one side, Marilyn Manson on the other, but girly and super awesome. This was over the summer, and then when I went back to school I had no way to maintain it, so here I am :p I had the most hardcore mullet stage ever. It was just... awful. I just put up with it, it only lasts a couple months, and I would have really regretted cutting off some of that length.

going gray
March 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I completely agree. After my one trim, I went through about 3 months of bad hair, but now that I can put it in a ponytail, it is such a relief. Totally worth it.

I realized after reading this thread that I've done exactly the same thing....you are both exactly right! And yes, being able to make a 2" ponytail is a tremendous relief!

Not to mention he comes the summer weather & I can put my hair up....finally! (any little bit helps)

going gray
March 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I realized after reading this thread that I've done exactly the same thing....you are both exactly right! And yes, being able to make a 2" ponytail is a tremendous relief!

Not to mention he comes the summer weather & I can put my hair up....finally! (any little bit helps)
why oh why don't I proof read what I write......."he"...should be here!

mrs_coffee
March 29th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Again, gorgeous hair and gorgeous pics everyone!

So ... a ponytail is important to me. I think as soon as I can do little pigtails I can be happy having a little extra thin length on the end where it grows out. I have officially decided no trimmings of the mullet! :D

Good decision. If a ponytail is important to you it will help you while you're waiting for the big grow out. Whatever works best for you. :)

Sero
November 17th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I came here for similar advice :)

I'm growing out my pixie - it has been about 5 months since my last cut (short pixie with longer bangs) and it is now at a chin-length bob. I've got curly (3a/b) hair, so I haven't hit the mullet state...yet. I've found that setting my hair (with foam rollers ala Marilyn Monroe) really helps - the sort of mullet/shag cut is what they got in the 40s/50s to set it into those bouncy curls. I also recommend becoming best friends with your bobby pins, lol, I'm getting really good at pinning all of those short hairs along my neckline and hiding the mess under a scarf. Good luck to any other former pixies coming to this thread!

Starbunny
February 29th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I have grown out a pixie both ways. I've gotten the every 5-8 weeks trims, I've also just let it grow for 9 months. The time I did that (from a super short pixie) I went from pixie to below my shoulders (SUPER layered though) in 9 months. It was awesome, but it looked really scraggly by then. Instead of getting it shaped, I ended up getting it pretty chopped into an asymmetrical bob, which I then grew out again to my shoulders. I think this time, I'll just let it do it's thing (without trims) and see what happens. My hair is like 2a maybe? Slight S waves, but not curly or anything or even "wavy wavy".

bilbolongtail
March 1st, 2016, 05:24 AM
Hi Starbunny, I started trimming the mullet off when I decided to grow out my pixie last autumn, but since officially joining LHC this month and reading everyones opinions I want to try leaving it alone now so I feel like I'm getting somewhere and maybe try out a few distraction hairstyles like pinning up the front into twists or french braiding the front long sections etc..

Nuala
March 1st, 2016, 01:45 PM
I'm in the progress of growing out a pixie. After the December picture, I couldn't stand the mullet any more, and had a trim.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/evaatjes/overview%20Feb%202016_zpscxlqmhjh.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/evaatjes/media/overview%20Feb%202016_zpscxlqmhjh.jpg.html)

Obsidian
March 1st, 2016, 03:50 PM
I've been growing my pixie out for 9 months or so. The back is just now at shoulder and the sides are chin length, definitely a mullet but with my curls, you really can't see it too much. I wasn't going to trim until my sides hit shoulder but I think I need to have some kind of shaping done in the mean time.

Ashflower89
March 1st, 2016, 05:09 PM
I've grown out 4 pixies now since 2009, made monthly picture charts for each one too so I'll go ahead and post them below. None of it is back shots unfortunately, so its hard to see whats going on with the mullet. It's all preference, but I felt so ugly by not trimming the mullet off. So many jagged layers all over the place, I hated how it looked. There was no such thing as a good hair day like that for me. I didn't cut the mullet for the first pixie, but I sure learned my lesson and kept it trimmed up obsessively on the 3 following that.

The longer you can stand to not cut it, the better I suppose. But saving 3" longer of hair only at the back of your head doesn't look or feel much like actual "length". And having these weird little wispy holes where the pixie was cut around your ear looks pretty strange too.

I swore off pixies after the 4th one in January 2015, trimmed the mullet every few months until the sides caught up, and now I'm in the process of trimming out the rest of the layers. Even though most of my hair is at collarbone, i have this single top layer left that only reaches my chin. I don't want to lose ponytail status though, so I'm just doing more trims until it catches up.

After 7 years of growing out pixies, layers are the devil to me lol.

olivetime
January 23rd, 2018, 02:26 PM
Bumping an older thread! Anyone else grow out a pixie without trimming the mullet? Pictures appreciated :)

Trip
January 23rd, 2018, 02:30 PM
I started out with about 2 inches of hair and if i had done no trims would be about apl by now but HAD to trim like 4 inches because i looked like billy ray cyrus
But if youre into that its fine

ponine
January 23rd, 2018, 02:57 PM
When I was growing my hair out from very short I kept it in a half up as soon as I could. I put the hair at the top of my head into a small high pony and let the mullet part be free. I ended up trimming it after a while though, I just couldn't exist knowing how it looked. :D

The mullet looked pretty funny though, my hair was basically a short bowl cut first. Basically like this but the hair on the top touched my ears: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/46/20/0e/46200e8c560dddacfeaeb77848f5289e.jpg And the mullet I got looked like I had very badly blended extension or exactly two layers cut to my hair. It was just terrible :D

Simsy
January 26th, 2018, 05:11 AM
Bumping an older thread! Anyone else grow out a pixie without trimming the mullet? Pictures appreciated :)

I grew out a shortish mullet in hig school. Curls meant the whole thing looked like a pixie cut. Hardest part was dealing with the short bits from the top once I was able to pull the back into a pony.

Pro tip, learn how to braid the top section and stick it in a pair of French/Dutch braids. Send them down the side of your head for pigtails, or pull them straight back into a pony for a half up option. It looks cute either way, and it protects those ends nice and early.

emptyque
January 26th, 2018, 05:21 AM
I once grew out a pixie cut without trims. I didn't think it ever became a mullet, but it didn't look good for a long time. I just didn't get it cut and eventually it evened out. I probably wouldn't do it again.

Todd
January 26th, 2018, 05:37 AM
Seems like after another 18 months or so, the mullet wouldn't be visible any more? Maybe even less time, depending on your hair and its volume.

In other words, I'd suggest not trimming.

pixitolong
July 13th, 2019, 08:01 AM
I'm still at mullet stage..after reading all comments.. I am going to document how long it takes and report mack when I can put my hair back in a pony tail. I have been measuring my hair every 2 weeks.

lapushka
July 13th, 2019, 03:16 PM
I'm still at mullet stage..after reading all comments.. I am going to document how long it takes and report mack when I can put my hair back in a pony tail. I have been measuring my hair every 2 weeks.

It changes quite fast on hair so short, so that's a plus. But I really wouldn't measure every 2 weeks. Do it once a month and that's plenty! It's not great if you're focused too much on growth. It's like watching a pot boil.

pixitolong
July 13th, 2019, 09:24 PM
It changes quite fast on hair so short, so that's a plus. But I really wouldn't measure every 2 weeks. Do it once a month and that's plenty! It's not great if you're focused too much on growth. It's like watching a pot boil.

True thanks for reminding me. I am trying oh so hard to be patient. I am doing everything to distract myself. I also realised that I have been measuring my length of the strand which is not what it seems is how to do it. So if I measure correctly from my widows peak down the back at the start of August..I'm guessing I will have had a miraculous growth spirt lol.

keshkala
December 4th, 2021, 04:32 AM
I am in the same boat. Has only been 4 months of growing out my pixie and I keep wishing for it to grow faster than it does. People meeting me after a months time tell me that my hair has grown quite a lot so that's very encouraging. I am also documenting my growth by taking a picture every month. Hope your patience paid off and you are at a comfortable length now.

keshkala
December 6th, 2021, 06:30 AM
That's what I did, minus the trimming. My hair guy gave me this cut that was totally freakin' awesome, a really cool asymmetrical bob/pixie thing. Think Emma Watson on one side, Marilyn Manson on the other, but girly and super awesome. This was over the summer, and then when I went back to school I had no way to maintain it, so here I am :p I had the most hardcore mullet stage ever. It was just... awful. I just put up with it, it only lasts a couple months, and I would have really regretted cutting off some of that length.

a couple months sounds reassuring! After seeing so many threads on pixie and mullets a small part of me can't wait to see how my mullet will look like when it's finally here. :D

thatsideoflife
December 6th, 2021, 09:13 PM
I grew out a buzzcut and trimmed at the nape until something passable for a bob... and I regretted it! If I hadn't trimmed, gone straight through pixie, to bob, to shag, I would have ended up with a perfectly layered mid-length hair shape. I think the mullet is between bob and shag. But as others have said, it depends on your starting cut. Some hairdressers accentuate the feathering on the nape, leaving it long for more of a feminine look. If you're starting from there, it's going to be a little different. But the main thing is that growing out a pixie is super fun, and every new length is a whole new look. Might as well enjoy it!

Bat
December 6th, 2021, 11:39 PM
I'm growing from bald ( with a longer bit on top) this time I'll keep the Mullet I cut Waaay too much last time around so after length over tidyness

keshkala
December 7th, 2021, 02:30 AM
I grew out a buzzcut and trimmed at the nape until something passable for a bob... and I regretted it! If I hadn't trimmed, gone straight through pixie, to bob, to shag, I would have ended up with a perfectly layered mid-length hair shape. I think the mullet is between bob and shag. But as others have said, it depends on your starting cut. Some hairdressers accentuate the feathering on the nape, leaving it long for more of a feminine look. If you're starting from there, it's going to be a little different. But the main thing is that growing out a pixie is super fun, and every new length is a whole new look. Might as well enjoy it!

Ah! I see what you mean. I got a very short pixie with the back side almost buzzed. Maybe that's why the hair does not look awkward despite being 5 months into the growing period. I fully agree about each length bringing a new look with it. It is going to be an exciting hair journey I feel. :) Hope you are enjoying your current length.

thatsideoflife
December 7th, 2021, 06:42 PM
Ah! I see what you mean. I got a very short pixie with the back side almost buzzed. Maybe that's why the hair does not look awkward despite being 5 months into the growing period. I fully agree about each length bringing a new look with it. It is going to be an exciting hair journey I feel. :) Hope you are enjoying your current length.

I am, thank you :).

SaveTheTapirs
December 8th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Oh this thread was made for me, why am I only now finding it? I'm going to go get caught up, if the server lets me.

C_Bookworm
December 8th, 2021, 02:29 PM
I did this in high school. Using claw clips to pin up the longest bits helped tame the mullet look, and letting all the curls and wispies loose to soften the look helped too. Once it was past my shoulders, it looked like a normal layered haircut.

SaveTheTapirs
December 8th, 2021, 04:32 PM

Yes! This is my hope, that eventually if I'm patient and leave it alone, it will look like normal layers. And in the meantime, being able to have a ponytail is really important to me.

I did this in high school. Using claw clips to pin up the longest bits helped tame the mullet look, and letting all the curls and wispies loose to soften the look helped too. Once it was past my shoulders, it looked like a normal layered haircut.

Another success story, thank you! So mine wasn't exactly a pixie, but a short, very layered bob that I was hoping would be curly-ish and look good but it wasn't. But the grow-out is basically the same and my natural hair without styling to disguise it, looks like a muffin.

There is a youtuber named JaaackJack who went through this after she buzzed her hair, and she's a great example of how the "mullet" layers eventually start to look like normal layers. (Is it ok to link youtube videos?) It's kind of annoying to me how a lot of youtubers and grow-out guides I've read say that trimming the mullet is basically mandatory. It took me a long time to find a counter-example, even though I suspected that going the no-trimming route would be fine.

Both options require waiting and patience. I guess the question is whether you want to wait longer for your hair to gain length, or
wait longer for it to look good down.

Bat
December 9th, 2021, 03:20 AM
Length over style and style over length, only lucky people get both!

SaveTheTapirs
December 10th, 2021, 03:09 PM
I hope to have both someday....if I wait long enough!

Bat
December 10th, 2021, 05:04 PM
I think your hair will look great with or without layers