PDA

View Full Version : Gah! frustration

Littlewing13
March 27th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Sorry guys, I gotta have a whinge.

I'm just feeling a bit bleh about my hair right now. Usually I just wear it in a ponytail, but today I wore it out. It is somehow both flat & frizzy.

Flat because my layers are growing past that stage that they look good & into that "drags your face down" length. I want them to get past that & into the "I have long layers" length. Hope you're getting what I mean here.

Frizzy because I just realised I am getting some breakage. I have about 2-3in of natural regrowth, from there on it was lightened chemically. I have hennaed over all of this. The breakage starts where the lightened bits start so I know that the previous colour is the reason for the breakage, but I don't know why its suddenly happening now.

Also (not really relevant) my hair is @ APL & for me this length is frustrating.

My routine is CO wash most of the week with shampoo once a week. I use cone free & sulphate free natural products. Henna with chamomile tea & conditioner in the mix. Oil nightly with either coconut or evoo. Use either tangle teezer or mason pearson plastic seamless comb. sleep with hair in braids & on satin pillowcase.

Should I incorporate some kind of protein treatment? What would you recommend that is all natural & vegan? Maybe I will try some soy milk.

Any other suggestions more than welcome :)

RapunzelKat
March 28th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Aw, I'm sorry you're frustrated with your hair! :( There's nothing like an awkward stage to make the process unpleasant!

I don't think I can give much advice as far as protein treatments - my hair hates protein so I don't know much about them. However, as a bit of a cure for the hair blahs, I would suggest learning some new styles. :) This always works well for me when I get bored with my hair :flower: I would think at your length you could do messy French or Dutch braids with tucked ends, maybe a French twist or a few other things like that. Then I would suggest just leaving it up and forgetting about it for a while.

Don't worry, those layers and damage will grow out before you know it. ;)

ETA: I grew out my layers and bleach damage with the put-it-up-and-forget-about-it method a few years back. It works really well! :)

ktani
March 28th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Sorry guys, I gotta have a whinge.

I'm just feeling a bit bleh about my hair right now. Usually I just wear it in a ponytail, but today I wore it out. It is somehow both flat & frizzy.

Flat because my layers are growing past that stage that they look good & into that "drags your face down" length. I want them to get past that & into the "I have long layers" length. Hope you're getting what I mean here.

Frizzy because I just realised I am getting some breakage. I have about 2-3in of natural regrowth, from there on it was lightened chemically. I have hennaed over all of this. The breakage starts where the lightened bits start so I know that the previous colour is the reason for the breakage, but I don't know why its suddenly happening now.

Also (not really relevant) my hair is @ APL & for me this length is frustrating.

My routine is CO wash most of the week with shampoo once a week. I use cone free & sulphate free natural products. Henna with chamomile tea & conditioner in the mix. Oil nightly with either coconut or evoo. Use either tangle teezer or mason pearson plastic seamless comb. sleep with hair in braids & on satin pillowcase.

Should I incorporate some kind of protein treatment? What would you recommend that is all natural & vegan? Maybe I will try some soy milk.

Any other suggestions more than welcome :)

I think you have too much product on your hair at one time. You most likely need to clarify. You should not need to oil daily or nightly to help keep your hair moisturized. You can do a much better job of that with mineral oil/baby oil used once between washes. You will need to clarify first in my opinion to remove the residue of what is there first. Then lightly condition and if you like try drops of the mineral oil.

ETA: USP mineral oil can be vegan, http://www.calumetspecialty.com/ProductsSubCategory.aspx?catID=1001&subcatID=1000. It is for the cosmetics industry ETA:2 and more.

ETA:3 USP mineral oil is recommended for wooden cutting boards, See the section on "gear" http://books.google.ca/books?id=LktlXASBLTUC&pg=PR26&lpg=PR26&dq=usp+mineral+oil+vegan&source=bl&ots=gDbkHEKKOs&sig=qgD0m7gdKnR0RvWfR2OmVkZyLPA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Nw5zT-STJ-nh0QGS7-HlAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHkQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

caiti42
March 28th, 2012, 06:14 AM
When ever I get really frusterated with my hair I just put it up for several weeks. Just wash it, let it dry and bun or ponytail it. I then appreciate it again in a few weeks :)

Amber_Maiden
March 28th, 2012, 06:27 AM
The vegan protein treatment I use is a beer rinse- flat beer poured over head. I also use veganaise sometimes.

barely.there
March 28th, 2012, 07:56 AM
If you are talking about soy milk on your hair, try it out!

I don't suggest drinking it as it is a form of unfermented soy - the natural estrogen can and will mess with your thyroid and your cycles. If you want more information on this I can give it to you.

misspurdy06
March 28th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I recommend lightly misting your hair till its the tiniest bit damp and sit infront of a fan to let it dry make sure you run your fingers through it a lot and in different directions (upside down is good) when it's dry (if you are alone) or not your choice lol. Get naked. Walk around naked. Play with your hair, look at it in the mirror, feel the length down your back.

This always make me feel better about my hair. I think everyone should try it at least once.

Littlewing13
March 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I think you have too much product on your hair at one time. You most likely need to clarify. You should not need to oil daily or nightly to help keep your hair moisturized. You can do a much better job of that with mineral oil/baby oil used once between washes. You will need to clarify first in my opinion to remove the residue of what is there first.

You may be right actually. I was thinking even that it might be the act of doing more to my hair causing mechanical damage. Maybe I will just try stretching washes for now.

Littlewing13
March 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
If you are talking about soy milk on your hair, try it out!

I don't suggest drinking it as it is a form of unfermented soy - the natural estrogen can and will mess with your thyroid and your cycles. If you want more information on this I can give it to you.

Yeah I meant on my hair but also I drink it. Its yummy & cheap. & I am a pov student. I will try all sorts of nut/oat/rice milks when I get a bit more cash but for now I gotta work with what I got. (& I am already messing with hormones with birth control so yeah my body's probably already messed up)