PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Spring Runway Hairstyles

ktani
March 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Here is some heartening news.

Check out the spring 2008 hairstyles on the runways - Italy
http://bellasugar.com/660685

and London
http://www.hairpedia.com/fashion/londonfashionashish2008/london-fashion-ashish-2008/london-fashion-ashish-2008-6.php

Long hair - long beautiful hair!

ReadingRenee
March 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I think the fashion industry is so mean. For months they've been touting bangs and short choppy bobs. Now that many many more people have bangs and a short choppy bob they come out with long flowing bangless hair. I tell you, this is why I ignore hair fashion trends.

I figure no matter what I do, it will eventually come back in style at some point. I mean even the MULLET came back in at some point! :)

Carolyn
March 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I mean even the MULLET came back in at some point! :)Now that is a truly frightening thought! :D

Anje
March 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Ah, but as we all know, to have long flowing hair means that either we're going to be out of fashion a good portion of the time, or else we'll have to shell out big $$$ (or £££, €€€, ¥¥¥, etc) for the stuff someone else was patient enough to grow.

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
You know, I've been meaning to make a post like this for a while.

Although I do not consider myself a style-obsessed person -- in fact, I would be insulted if someone told me I was trendy -- I am quite interested in fashion, especially in its highest and most abstract form. There are so many interesting and absurd pieces that spring from the heads of madmen and are then paraded down runways all around the globe. I am inspired by men and women who consider one's appearance (that is: clothing, hair and makeup) to be an art form as much as it is of necessity.

This is something I struggle with, as there is definitely a line between fashion appreciation and obsession with superficial appearance. (Anyone catch that article in the NYTimes about six months ago "Admit it. You Love it. It matters." or something, about how we're trained to be ashamed of our fashion penchants? :wink:) I don't particularly like being interested in an industry that can be -- and often is -- exploitative, exorbitantly wasteful, consumerist-driven and advancing of a superficial worldview.

I am a huge fan of the wild, the untamed, the unselfconscious (if I didn't, I don't know if I would have long hair!). And yet I think there is something quite mesmerizing in fashion, in the magical construction of a garment, the transformation of the mundane to the elevated, the subtle manipulation of the natural to the surreal.

But I digress.

For all the crap we read in magazines about hairstyle rules, who can and can't wear such hairstyles, etc. there is a surprising and exciting number of innovative hairstyles being shown on the runway. Every fashion season I find inspiring dos that seem far more in tune with LHC than Cosmo magazine. I'm going to make a post showcasing some that I think LHC would appreciate (images properly credited, of course).

Of course there is a lot of manipulation going on in these photos (blowdryers, straightening irons, curlers, major product use etc) that most people on LHC probably aren't receptive to. But there are also some very interesting updos that I'm sure could be replicated, substituting hair-friendly products and tools for those used in the shows. And I will include some examples of 'hair art' -- you know, nothing you would wear going about your daily business (just as you wouldn't wear a couture gown to the supermarket); but some photos that show quite artistic, surreal and mad/genius creations, using our favorite medium.

Expect this post soon.

Neon Gloss
March 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Feh, from perms to relaxing and from short to long, trends will always change. Personally, I think long hair will always be beautiful. I don't understand why some girls maintain their short length and wear hair extensions everyday. Perhaps for the sake of being trendy whenever it's called for, haha!

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Oh, and for the record most models have fairly long hair -- averaging BSL length with quite a lot gracing waist & hip.

florenonite
March 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM
It means they get money for cuts then for extensions.

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Here are some pictures showing braids in the fall/winter 08/09 season (most recent shows).

I've just realized I'm going to run out of image space, so continued in next post...

(All photos have been removed because of possible copyright infringement. Please post links instead. ~ harpgal)

All the pictures are from Style.com (http://www.style.com).

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM
(All photos have been removed because of possible copyright infringement. Please post links instead. ~ harpgal)

ETA: photos from style.com (http://www.style.com).[/center]

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM

...anyway.
Hope you enjoyed that. Heh.
So I'm going to stop now, although I'm sure I could come up with many more interesting photos.
Basically I wanted to prove that long hair does exist in fashion and that many interesting and creative styles are being experimented with.
Perhaps there is not such a thick divide between LHC and something like the fashion industry?
After all, a lot of updos that we create, use, embellish and wear are being shown on the catwalks, too.
Food for thought. I know I am inspired. :)[/center]

ETA: photos from style.com (http://www.style.com).

Leisha
March 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
You know, I've been meaning to make a post like this for a while.

Although I do not consider myself a style-obsessed person -- in fact, I would be insulted if someone told me I was trendy -- I am quite interested in fashion, especially in its highest and most abstract form. There are so many interesting and absurd pieces that spring from the heads of madmen and are then paraded down runways all around the globe. I am inspired by men and women who consider one's appearance (that is: clothing, hair and makeup) to be an art form as much as it is of necessity.

This is something I struggle with, as there is definitely a line between fashion appreciation and obsession with superficial appearance. (Anyone catch that article in the NYTimes about six months ago "Admit it. You Love it. It matters." or something, about how we're trained to be ashamed of our fashion penchants? :wink:) I don't particularly like being interested in an industry that can be -- and often is -- exploitative, exorbitantly wasteful, consumerist-driven and advancing of a superficial worldview.

I am a huge fan of the wild, the untamed, the unselfconscious (if I didn't, I don't know if I would have long hair!). And yet I think there is something quite mesmerizing in fashion, in the magical construction of a garment, the transformation of the mundane to the elevated, the subtle manipulation of the natural to the surreal.

But I digress.

For all the crap we read in magazines about hairstyle rules, who can and can't wear such hairstyles, etc. there is a surprising and exciting number of innovative hairstyles being shown on the runway. Every fashion season I find inspiring dos that seem far more in tune with LHC than Cosmo magazine. I'm going to make a post showcasing some that I think LHC would appreciate (images properly credited, of course).

Of course there is a lot of manipulation going on in these photos (blowdryers, straightening irons, curlers, major product use etc) that most people on LHC probably aren't receptive to. But there are also some very interesting updos that I'm sure could be replicated, substituting hair-friendly products and tools for those used in the shows. And I will include some examples of 'hair art' -- you know, nothing you would wear going about your daily business (just as you wouldn't wear a couture gown to the supermarket); but some photos that show quite artistic, surreal and mad/genius creations, using our favorite medium.

Expect this post soon.
I can relate to what you say here! :agree:

I'm not fashionable at all or anything, but I also like looking at these fashion shows sometimes, the whole styling; the hair, the make-up and the clothes too of course.
(Only some of them, I'm no good with names, I guess the more "high fashion" ones? Like Gaultier etc (who walked past me on the street once and I accidentally stared right at him, lol :D not very cool of me))

Some very nice styles in those pictures you posted! Thanks for posting them! :)

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I can relate to what you say here! :agree:

I'm not fashionable at all or anything, but I also like looking at these fashion shows sometimes, the whole styling; the hair, the make-up and the clothes too of course.
(Only some of them, I'm no good with names, I guess the more "high fashion" ones? Like Gaultier etc (who walked past me on the street once and I accidentally stared right at him, lol :D not very cool of me))

Some very nice styles in those pictures you posted! Thanks for posting them! :)

Fashion should be fun! :D
You're welcome!

Shell
March 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Saoirse,

I completely agree with your views on fashion. I love to watch a good fashion show! That doesn't mean I'd wear most of the clothes (even if I could afford them!), but it's art, and enjoyable.

Thanks for posting those wonderful hair styles !

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Saoirse,

I completely agree with your views on fashion. I love to watch a good fashion show! That doesn't mean I'd wear most of the clothes (even if I could afford them!), but it's art, and enjoyable.

Thanks for posting those wonderful hair styles !

You're welcome! :)

ReadingRenee
March 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Those are some pretty awesome looking hairstyles! Its like art. Beautiful. :)

orbiting
March 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
those are some very beautiful hair styles!

And I too think Fashion as Art is fascinating.

Ms Monnie
March 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
:applause

Bravo Saoirse, you've expressed very eloquently what I've thought for a while. And I adore the pictures you posted.

On a slightly more trivial note, my sister went to school with the model in the middle picture of the Italian runway link, her hair isn't LHC long but I know she refused from the outset to have it cut.

Saoirse
March 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
:applause

Bravo Saoirse, you've expressed very eloquently what I've thought for a while. And I adore the pictures you posted.

On a slightly more trivial note, my sister went to school with the model in the middle picture of the Italian runway link, her hair isn't LHC long but I know she refused from the outset to have it cut.

Your sister went to school with Lily Donaldson? :o

ktani
March 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I do not follow current trends as such but I do check them out.

What struck me about many of the styes shown is the lack of "style" per se - the hair is what I would call classic - not one type of cut but free flowing and beautiful.

Yes runway fashions often include extensions but a lot of these "styles" are not teased, wild looks - just very natural - not unusual colours - just very easy on the eyes and beautiful - like the pics seen here on these boards.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM

OH MY GOSH, HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU DO THOSE FISHTAILS!?!?!? :agape:

addikted
March 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, can someone chime in on a how to on the fishtails above. Saoirse, well said.

ktani
March 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
All of the pictures and comments posted here are awesome.

IMO those fishtails are extensions - they do not look real - so reproducing them to me looks like it would be difficult.

I could be wrong - I have never attempted the incredible looks I have seen here on these boards done by members.

Starr
March 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
OH MY GOSH, HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU DO THOSE FISHTAILS!?!?!? :agape:

Very carefully I'm guessing.:p

Saoirse, thank you for very beautifully putting into words what I have often thought but have never been able to find the words to say. I too am a lover of fashion for it's more artistic side.

eadwine
March 16th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I think they do those fishtails the regular way, and then pull tiny sections out with a crochet hook or something.

Thanks for sharing!

Iona
March 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I was thinking that a long cylinder shape of some sort had to have been used, fishtail braid around the object loosely, and then when the bottom is reached the object you have been braiding around is pulled out (carefully!). I'm probably very wrong have never attempted anything of the kind..lol

eadwine's explanation makes much more sense.

tiny_teesha
March 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM
saiorse! Wonderful photos and i agree. I love fashion as an art. Most of the time i am too lazy to be expressive in what i wear so i through anything on, but i also believe in not paying a lot for fashion- as it is not a NEED persay ( you only need one pair of jeans, one top and a dress to last you forever, but i have over 40 tops!!! enough said....)
I only pay the very least i can for anything. I'm a poor student, lol. That said i like to make my own clothes, wear what i like (not what fashion dictates) and what suits me. I love embellishing things to make it "me".

I mean, roslana kurshunova (Spelling?) She was on the cat walk with knee length hair!!!
I agree, most models do have longer hair. And today i spotted quite a few people with longer then waist length hair, sad though that most women over 40 have the "bob" and women older then 50 have the "pixie" SAD! They look like clones! (I hate fashion clones!) lol

Lillian
March 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM
What a great post, Saoirse. And I loved looking at all those styles, I particularly like the 'seriously wavy at Gucci' one. Gorgeous.

ktani
March 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I have not followed runway shows for a while now.

I used to watch Fashion Television frequently.

I have not read a fashion magazine in ages - I used to buy Vogue magazine all the time.

While I have always appreciated fashion as an art form I never related to the more abstract styles of clothes or hair.

I have always loved long, natural, free flowing hair. I was just never able to have it look healthy and good long until fairly recently (the last 18 months or so).

My own hair has been every length from pixie to all one length and long now.

Whenever a hairstyle became a trend - I avoided it - I wanted to be different.

The exception was the Farrah Fawcett bangs and sides - I even figured out how to cut my hair myself to get that soft, wild look at one point - while I never wanted to copy her hairstyle totally - the spirit - the abandonment of the the style appealed to the rebel in me.

Saorise - you made some excellent points very eloquently. And the photos you posted - fantastic.

I have always known most models have longish hair - they need something to work with but the long hair I remember on the runways was never styled in such a way that appealed to me.

I was always disappointed in many of the clothes - while some styles I thought I could wear - if I had that kind of money or they were made less extreme I never understood the reinventing of decades past styles.

I hoped to see modern styles be totally unique.

The gap between LHC and the runway hairstyles? It seems to me that runway hair art today is reflecting life as it actually is more than ever before.

almudena
March 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Saorise Thanks for pointing those pictures. Love them!

rhubarbarin
March 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Yes thank you Saorise!

I'm a pretty simple person, style-wise, and I don't follow trends, but I LOVE fashion (and models) and follow it religiously. For myself, I know what works - what makes me feel comfortable and confident, and what flatters my body, so I tend to stick with the same cuts of clothing and hairstyles. I don't like the disposable aspect of the fashion industry, and I know it really exists in order to encourage wealthy people to buy the new 'in' products every season. But I also think it's an art form (runway, editiorials, even ads) and it's just fasinating and beautiful to look at. And often inspiring for me. I have a lot of fun with it.

Models contributed to me wanting to grow my hair. Most of the have BSL or longer hair, and those who don't have supershort 'edgy' cuts. There's not much in between. Ruslana Korshunova and Tanya Dziahileva both have incredible hair.. though they both cut it shorter recently. Ruslana's was down to her knees when she started (even more impressive since she is close to 6' tall). It must be a challenge to keep your hair healthy what with all the very damaging styling used.

enfys
March 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I hope this filters to the high street then on to the street, but I think super short *or* super long hair has been on the runway for a long time but the high street and fashion magazines never quite cottoned on how important hair was in creating the overall look.

Amazing collection of pics there, and quite beautiful and inspirational.

mellie
March 16th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Beautiful photos, thank you so much for posting them!

I love the big, natural waves of the Gucci gal!

Ms Monnie
March 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Your sister went to school with Lily Donaldson? :o
Yes, she tried on my wig once!

Saoirse
March 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yes, she tried on my wig once!

:D Is she nice? :wink:

Ms Monnie
March 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
She seemed really sweet and modest, but I've only met her once or twice. I don't know how much fame as gone to her head by now :p. I think it's amazing how almost every model you see on the catwalk has been amongst us mortals once upon a time, probably with all their friends saying "Oh you should totally model!" and them going "Yeah, whatever".

tiny_teesha
March 16th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I think one of the styles you called a herringbone actually isn't it looks like a snake knot... :S

Just an observation.

Saoirse
March 17th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I think one of the styles you called a herringbone actually isn't it looks like a snake knot... :S

Just an observation.

What's a snake knot?

nastasska
March 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Now that is a truly frightening thought! :D

I've been seeing a few Mullets lately and Rat's Tails:cheese:

It's all a cunning plan to sell hair extensions to Fashion Victims:cool:

tiny_teesha
March 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM
i bumped into a knotting site after seeing deanes blog or something....
http://www.satincord.com/knots/tutorials.htm

but there is a name for that done on hair, it is a different hairstyle, if you look closely it doesnt quite resemble a herringbone.

ktani
March 17th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Runway hair does not usually affect street hair but I believe street hair is now affecting runway hair - the designers seem to be paying attention to what a lot of women are actually doing with their hair these days which is quite a change, IMO.

I saw a recent episode of What Not to Wear where Nick did a shortish cut that was actually pretty nice - I thought, very saucy.

Well, lol, in the mall a few days later a salon had a pic of the exact same cut advertised and it was obviously not from the show but the cut of the moment that stylists were promoting.

I did not think that stylists still did that but I did work in the industry a long time ago - at a beauty supply house - so I should not be surprised - disappointed but not surprised. My BF at the time was a stylist - he would get creative with my hair but always something unique - specific to my hair and my face - not what was being promoted at the time - I enjoyed that.

I tend to forget that many people do want to be trendy - especially teens - I never have and my friends do not either - and want to see the latest hair designs to emulate them. I certainly understand wanting to update a classic style with the latest changes to it - it is just something I have never had any interest in doing - the exception being my very brief Farrah Fawcett venture.

ktani
March 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Now this (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.clearfoil.com/pic10_clearfoil_hair_color_clearfoil.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.clearfoil.com/&h=533&w=400&sz=33&hl=en&start=16&sig2=ufp_wE9rUydTOKkpuQbNVA&um=1&tbnid=rAGHKL5ir7o78M:&tbnh=132&tbnw=99&ei=P6feR4cDkb6EAtiX_OUB&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dimages%2Bof%2Bhair%2Bas%2Bart%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den) is the wild side, IMO.
[/URL]
And [URL="http://www.clearfoil.com/art_clearfoil_hair_color_clearfoil.html"]this. (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.clearfoil.com/pic10_clearfoil_hair_color_clearfoil.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.clearfoil.com/&h=533&w=400&sz=33&hl=en&start=16&sig2=ufp_wE9rUydTOKkpuQbNVA&um=1&tbnid=rAGHKL5ir7o78M:&tbnh=132&tbnw=99&ei=P6feR4cDkb6EAtiX_OUB&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dimages%2Bof%2Bhair%2Bas%2Bart%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den)

Totally off topic - these (http://www.rubylane.com/shops/melodiesmemories/item/3515) are gorgeous.

dagonlilly
March 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Great find the long hair looks great. I'm glad to see it on the runway.

domonic_uk
March 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Some of those photos look like oiling hair is back in fashion, never did like the look though

Sarahmoon
March 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Long. bangless hair will be fashionable? But... but... I won't be unique anymore. And I don't want to be in fashion! :cry:

;);)

ktani
March 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Sarahmoon

Classic is always in style but never trendy, IMO.

tiny_teesha
July 20th, 2008, 05:08 AM
all photos from style dot com!

actually this is a good lookbook:
http://www.style.com/mystyle/lookbooks/thumbnails/mylookbook69252?pageNum=4
I am up to page 4! There are heaps of hair and makeup ones on this one :)

janaana
July 20th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I've really enjoyed looking through all of the pictures and links posted here. What I really like is that quite a few of the styles (apart from the oiled ones) are not overly polished and starchy but have stray wispy bits sticking out here and there leaving them looking more natural.

tiny_teesha
July 20th, 2008, 05:49 AM

I'm up to page 25 now.
http://www.style.com/mystyle/lookbooks/thumbnails/mylookbook69252?pageNum=25

tiny_teesha
July 20th, 2008, 05:57 AM

And i've finished the whole lookbook. Sorry i didn't write down the designers, if you wanted to know all you have to do is search the look book. Doesn't take too long.

eresh
July 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks for posting all these photos :-D
I love those high fashion shows, though I myself don't keep up with "what's fashionable" at all.
I'm also a sucker for shows like next topmodel and make me a supermodel :o
Especially the extreme projects and clothes, wonderful these works of art.

tiny_teesha
July 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
Sorry harpgal- i thought if one states the source it is ok! My bad!