PDA

View Full Version : Rewards & Incentives

Hyacinth
March 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Does anyone reward themselves with something special after achieving a hair-goal? I mean, reaching the goal IS the reward, yes....but what have you done besides to "celebrate"? :cheer: I'm thinking of things like...buying a special hair toy/product, treating yourself to something, a date or outing...etc.

I need ideas 'cause it's going to be a while for me before I even get to shoulder-length.

millyaulait
March 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hair toys & accessories! :)

I know that when I reach BSL, I'm going to get myself a nice Ficcare!

In the meantime, every time I reach a little goal I usually do reward myself with something pretty for my hair..

Whether it's a colorful headband, a new clip, hair sticks, or a fancy new hair product, it's all nice for me.

ravenheather
March 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I plan to buy a new hair toy for each milestone.

HintOfMint
March 27th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I'm going to be the pompous and obnoxious one here and say that, for me, reaching goals/milestones is its own reward.

Perhaps that's just an excuse to treat my hair whenever I damn well please ;)

sibiryachka
March 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I plan to reward myself with a Bijoux Manoel pretty to celebrate when I reach goal length. Already strategizing to have it shipped to a friend in Germany who visits CA a couple times a year, so that shipping won't double the cost!

littleizz
March 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I don't have rewards for hair accomplishments, but I have hair rewards for other accomplishments!!!

I actually have a list of things I want, but don't need (hair toys, new purse, a certain pair of earrings, epilator, etc.) and I call it my Splurge list. For each item I have something I need to accomplish to get it, like pass another part of my CPA exam, run two miles, lose 10 pounds, etc. The harder the goal, the bigger the list item :)

sfgirl
March 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I decided to do this! I'm going to reward myself with the more expensive things (ficcare, mason pearson) when I hit a goal.
It helps me stick with treating my hair good instead of giving up like I usually do.

RapunzelKat
March 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'm not planning to reward myself for length milestones, because they're just so darn far apart now! :D I mean, classic is pretty close, but after that will be FTL, and that could take a long time. :bigtongue: So, I'm planning to reward myself for other hair milestones, such as learning particular styles or completing my wear-up challenges. :thumbsup:

One of my goals right now is to master hairsticks. Once I get a couple buns I can reliably do with sticks, I get to buy some Ketylos! :happydance:

Chromis
March 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm going to be the pompous and obnoxious one here and say that, for me, reaching goals/milestones is its own reward.

Perhaps that's just an excuse to treat my hair whenever I damn well please ;)

I'm with you!

I leave my hair alone and it grows. I'm always happy to reach another body marker, but beyond that I don't need any "reward"

jacqueline101
March 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I buy a reward for progress a hair toy of some type.

PixxieStix
March 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Well, I have a rather.... different, relationship with my hair than most, so I have 'daily' incentives (provided in the form of a nightly scalp massage via my fiance for no hair pulling that day), and for reaching goal lengths I am allotted funds for a "hair toy splurge." My first one was last month, as my hair was finally just long enough to be able to use a hair stick, so I purchased my first small hair toy collection and love each piece. For each milestone after that, I will get one or two more hair toys (APL, BSL, Waist, hip, tailbone, etc., partly because I'll need new toys for that length once I reach them!).

Other than toys, I plan on treating myself to some hair pampering as a way to "reward" myself for having reached a new goal length. I don't plan on anything other than S&D and a few microtrims until I reach past BSL, at which point I plan on having 1-2 inches trimmed off to even out layers and a general "spa day" with a massage, having a nice professional cut done, and a facial. This type of reward though also goes hand in hand with rewarding myself for being ABLE to grow my hair out again due to not pulling it out, because if I'm pulling it out, I won't grow it.

My "ultimate" goal though is after I reach tailbone length to go to a George Michael salon for a day and get the works for my hair! The fiance said he'd be more than happy to let me fly out for a weekend to do this if I can actually 1 - not pull long enough to accomplish this goal and 2 - "worked" hard enough to have reached that length.

Hyacinth
March 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
My "ultimate" goal though is after I reach tailbone length to go to a George Michael salon for a day and get the works for my hair!

I love that! Great incentive & I hope you get to do that for yourself! :happydance:

PixxieStix
March 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks Hyacinth, I really hope so too. It'll be 2.5-3 years, but by then I think I'll certainly have "earned it" in multiple ways and I'll enjoy every second of it. ^_^

caiti42
March 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm yet to reach my first goal of bsl. But I imagine I'll do something to celebrate!

XcaliburGirl
April 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I want to reward myself with a Ficcare when I reach APL. I might cave and get it when I reach shoulder length, though.

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 2nd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Rewarding myself for things I have control over has been very helpful. Losing weight for example, I can exercise more, watch what I eat and expect results. But my hair grows/doesn't grow based on it's own desires and I can take biotin even though I get pimples, and scalp massage all day but if i don't get the results and the reward.. I am likely to get disapointed fairly quick and that takes the joy out of it!

Perhaps rewarding based on seasons or a specific time frame would be more beneficial. Like every change of season that you have taken personal steps to protect and care for your hair, you reward yourself. Mark your calandar and pick 4 things you really really want, and on the first day of that season map out your reward...the cheapest item should be your first reward until you make it through the year to the last season giving yourself the most expensive item. If you plan on growing for 3 years pick 12 items and so on. You can always change your mind on the rewards but still save the best for last ;) And then maybe have just one specific, expensive, exquisite item that you will reward yourself once you get to your ultimate goal in inches!!:cheese:

pepperminttea
April 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I don't really. When I reach a new milestone I tend to just walk around with a massive grin on my face for a few days. :D

PixxieStix
April 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
I don't really. When I reach a new milestone I tend to just walk around with a massive grin on my face for a few days. :D

I want a "Like" button!

Hyacinth
April 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
if i don't get the results and the reward.. I am likely to get disapointed fairly quick and that takes the joy out of it!

Perhaps rewarding based on seasons or a specific time frame would be more beneficial. Like every change of season that you have taken personal steps to protect and care for your hair, you reward yourself. Mark your calandar and pick 4 things you really really want, and on the first day of that season map out your reward...

Super cool idea; rewards for a specific "season" of hair growth! :cheese: That seems natural. I hope to reward myself at some point, just for getting to a pony-stub! That should be sometime this summer (hopefully). I see the point of not setting ourselves up for disappointment - If we are too detailed on measuring to the nearest fraction of an inch every week, we will want to give up.

HappyHair87
April 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
I love to reward myself for reaching hair milestones :)

When i reach WL or maybe an inch past....i'm thinking about getting a Ouidad cut...maybe. But i do want a new Ficcare clip when i reach it. Maybe 2:lol:

HappyHair87
April 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
I want a "Like" button!

Me too! Why don't we have a "Like" or "Thanks" button on this forum??:confused:

MirrorOfErised
April 2nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
Love this idea!

My main goal at this stage is to reach BSL and I will definitely be celebrating with accessories - I'd love to get a wooden comb.

My other goal is to go this whole year without trimming and I think that would deserve a bigger reward but I'm not sure what yet:cool:

racrane
April 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
In a way I already did - I bought a flexi-8 when I hit APL and could solidly put it up into a bun. I wasn't thinking of doing anything for BSL or beyond, though. Great ideas, though. :)

XcaliburGirl
April 3rd, 2012, 06:37 AM
Rewarding myself for things I have control over has been very helpful. Losing weight for example, I can exercise more, watch what I eat and expect results. But my hair grows/doesn't grow based on it's own desires and I can take biotin even though I get pimples, and scalp massage all day but if i don't get the results and the reward.. I am likely to get disapointed fairly quick and that takes the joy out of it!

Perhaps rewarding based on seasons or a specific time frame would be more beneficial. Like every change of season that you have taken personal steps to protect and care for your hair, you reward yourself. Mark your calandar and pick 4 things you really really want, and on the first day of that season map out your reward...the cheapest item should be your first reward until you make it through the year to the last season giving yourself the most expensive item. If you plan on growing for 3 years pick 12 items and so on. You can always change your mind on the rewards but still save the best for last ;) And then maybe have just one specific, expensive, exquisite item that you will reward yourself once you get to your ultimate goal in inches!!:cheese:
I am thinking of it more as a celebration, like a birthday gift. Also, I guess it's a reward for not cutting it.

Finally, it's a way to space out my hair purchases so I don't spend huge amounts of money. :D Your idea works well for that, too.

julliams
April 3rd, 2012, 06:48 AM
I post here when I achieve goal lengths. That is reward for me as everyone is so supportive.

Jing
April 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
No rewards, but I do have a small collection of incentives waiting for my hair to get long enough to wear them. :p

Bagginslover
April 3rd, 2012, 07:31 AM
Once I hit waist, I will buy myself a Ficcare :) I have enough hair to use one now, but I'd like to justify the expense by earning it first if that makes sense?

BrightEyes
April 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
I've promised myself that once I get to APL I will order a custom stick from Timberstone Turnings. Must be patient........

Medievalmaniac
April 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
Yes, I do incentives. They're dual-purpose - I'm celebrating still being here post-cancer, and celebrating the slow inching progress back to tailbone. So I try to do something each month or so. This month, I splurged on Nightblooming's Miruvor growth tea. Last month, it was a $3.00 clip I won't be able to wear for a year or so, but it reminds me I'm on my way. And so forth. Little things, to keep me positive and motivated. Losing my hair was devastating, so growing it back needs to be especially fabulous. :)

joyfulchiara
April 3rd, 2012, 09:02 AM

I love this idea.

I've ordered my first ficcare as incentive to not cut off my hair again. Thinking if I've got something to look forward to, it will help offset the urge. Especially once summer humidity kicks in. I think if I could just get past this hurdle and be able to pull my hair back it will get easier for me. Till then I need something to look forward to! :)

melusine963
April 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I actually do things the other way round. I'll buy the hair toy or product so that I can use them to be nicer to my hair straight away (for example spin pins, or better shampoo). If I waited until I reached my milestones it would take so long that I would never get to buy anything.

Mountaingrrl
April 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I think I'll get some nice photos taken when I get to my goal.

And to the original poster: I say go for lots of incentives at the mini milestones. Hair toys, scarves, headbands and such really help!

Littlewing13
April 4th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I was going to get myself something at bsl but I am strapped for cash & really its just a matter of time. However I am going to reward myself for good uni grades with hair toys. Im busting for a ficcare (or 2 since i would already be spending on shipping).

phabieau
April 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM
When I make it a little bit past waist, I am allowing myself to dip dye it blue, pink, purple, and whatever other colors I feel like including.
The great thing about dip dyeing is that you can trim off all of the damage if you want and still have rainbow hair.