PDA

View Full Version : How to do a scalp wash with shorter hair?

TheLuckyLurker
March 26th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I tried the search function, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

What's the best way for someone with just barely APL hair to do a scalp only wash- I mean really scalp only, with only the scalp hair getting wet? I read the only article I could find, but my hair's not long enough for that method yet.

MinderMutsig
March 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I doubt it´s possible to be honest.

lapushka
March 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Maybe wash it -bent at the waist- and secure your hair up into a ponytail on top of your head, then move the elastic further down, so you can loosen the hair up some - but I doubt you can do this without getting your hair entirely wet!

LornaDoone
March 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure if it's possible. When I do a scalp wash my hair gets wet down past my shoulders.
I suppose you could do a partial scalp wash: washing only the hair at the temples and forehead area with the length tied back in a loose ponytail.

Messyhair
March 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I used to do it by making a high ponytail, fastening it with an ouchless elastic, then pulling the elastic out a bit from the scalp (this makes the final product moveable so you can get the scalp underneath). Then coil up the pony hair into a bun and fasten it using another ouchless elastic. I would then cover up the bun with a shower cap, doubling it over a couple of times, and then securing that with a scrunchie or yet another ouchless elastic.

This makes a fairly waterproof bun full of length-hair and leaves the rest free for wetting and washing. Not sure if it's possible to get even less than that wet.

caadam
March 26th, 2012, 09:29 PM
It IS possible! I've seen conversations like this over in the NW/SO thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144) of others doing the same exact thing. I would ask them for suggestions, if you want. :)

ETA: Unless you mean getting only an inch or so wet, then I think that could be a little improbable. But still, I would go post this question in the NW/SO thread and see what they think!

holothuroidea
March 26th, 2012, 09:54 PM
It is possible if you are meticulous and you use a squirt bottle over the sink.

It requires practice and skill, and a pretty strong arm, but it is possible. I tried it when my hair was just at ear length, I had to reposition myself and do it in 3 sections (top, bottom left, bottom right) because my hair was too short to grab all in one go.

It was really a pain to do at that length, but at APL when you can make a legit pony tail it should be fairly easy and worth the effort. Just hold your hair up with one hand and wash with the other.

You have to use heavily diluted shampoo because you'll never get enough water volume out of a squirt bottle to rinse it if you use it full strength. I put one dime sized amount of shampoo in a 8 oz squirt bottle, and diluted to 6 oz. Then I shook up the bottle to make a foam and applied the foam to my scalp. Then I had another squirt bottle (an empty 32oz dish detergent bottle) handy to rinse with.

ETA: When using diluted shampoo it helps to let it sit for a little bit (a minute? I just sang a silly kids song to pass the time) before you rinse it out.

TheLuckyLurker
March 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I used to do it by making a high ponytail, fastening it with an ouchless elastic, then pulling the elastic out a bit from the scalp (this makes the final product moveable so you can get the scalp underneath). Then coil up the pony hair into a bun and fasten it using another ouchless elastic. I would then cover up the bun with a shower cap, doubling it over a couple of times, and then securing that with a scrunchie or yet another ouchless elastic.

This makes a fairly waterproof bun full of length-hair and leaves the rest free for wetting and washing. Not sure if it's possible to get even less than that wet.

I was kind of thinking about something like this; it seems like the most plausible option for me.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!

PixxieStix
March 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM
This might be a silly question, but why are would someone only wash the scalp while trying to keep the ends dry? Is it because hair is weakest when wet and you want to avoid potential damage to the strands?

holothuroidea
March 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM
This might be a silly question, but why are would someone only wash the scalp while trying to keep the ends dry? Is it because hair is weakest when wet and you want to avoid potential damage to the strands?

I have hair that has better texture with less washing, and a scalp that needs to be washed every day.

PixxieStix
March 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Aaaaaw, thank you! That makes sense. :)