PDA

View Full Version : Washing less but frizz increased???

DarleneH
March 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm washing way less, and I've been combing more to distribute sebum down the hair shafts. So it looks like between the combination of those two I'd have less frizz but instead I have MORE. Is there an explanation?

I will try oiling with coconut oil just on the canopy to see if that helps. If coconut oil is not what you'd recommend to fight frizz, please suggest something else. Thanks!

lapushka
March 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
It would be nice to know what texture you have. Is it usually straight, wavy or curly? Also, tell us a bit more about your routine. This will help in answering your questions.

nobeltonya
March 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Maybe your hair likes being washed more? Mine does.. I found my hair looks horrible if I don't wash it every day. Figure out what shampoo/conditioner combinations work for it... regularly oil.. it took me a good 1.5 years of experimenting with everything before I finally found what works for my hair. :)

Sunny_side_up
March 27th, 2012, 11:03 AM
my hair was behaving really well when i was washing it every day for a week a few weeks ago, ive since gone to every other day, but some days at work are icky and also theres the yuk commuting round London i do, more recently been thinkin i'll go for layers(ease of washing) and wash daily. Cones after my shampooing help when i do this. My hair feels sleek n tamed ;) Love the freshened feeling in the evenin after my shower.:)

spidermom
March 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I think my hair does the same. Sebum weighs down the longer strands, but the shorter, newer hairs still curl up all over the surface.

I use product when I want to look more polished, less frizzy, like gel or even something like styling wax, putty, or pomade.

ktani
March 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I'm washing way less, and I've been combing more to distribute sebum down the hair shafts. So it looks like between the combination of those two I'd have less frizz but instead I have MORE. Is there an explanation?

I will try oiling with coconut oil just on the canopy to see if that helps. If coconut oil is not what you'd recommend to fight frizz, please suggest something else. Thanks!

It it can be from more than one reason. If you have been using a lot of product on your hair and not clarifying, the build-up can make your hair drier.

If you have been stretching washes and the humidity is low, you can be losing the moisture in your hair, and that can result in frizz as much as an excess of atmospheric moisture can when it is humid.

A solution for both kinds of frizz can be mineral oil/baby oil, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298.

Just a few drops, on if you need to, clarifyed hair (lightly conditioned afterward) can rehydrate dry hair (used on damp to extra damp hair) and help prevent frizz, while being antistatic. It is a fantastic detangler too, and can do all of those things better than vegetable oils, silicone and your own natural sebum.

solitudinarian
March 28th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Try brushing less? My hair hates being brushed! It looses all it's "bounce", it gets frizzy, especially at the lenghts, and it looks like I've tried to undo any waves. Even if I just gently use a wide-toothed comb.