PDA

View Full Version : Cone free? should i?

Hollyfire3
March 26th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I have just used a cone heavy conditioner (it was the first ingredient) and my hair is mad! It is flat, not even wavy, and just not my hair! Now, granted my hair is finicky and stupid and (insert other nasty names i don't want to say) and has been for months and is sloooowwwwlllllyyyy maybe getting better, until i used this conditioner crap! So, i also just dyed my hair and don't want to clarify so soon, what to do? Should i just take a vo5 cone free duo and use that? Or should i just use my regular shampoo (which containes 1 non building up cone) and the vo5 conditioner. I know cone free won't be the magical solution for this problem, but willl it at least help my curls and volume florish again? sorry for yet ANOTHER rant on my problematic hair, i swear, ONE DAY, i will be on here with beautiful pictures that are a TRUE representation of my hair, waves and volume and all, but until then, may i have a little help please? Also, come one day, i will start a thread NOT related to only my needs...sorry for being so selfish.

Clem_Dela
March 26th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I would do it; i've been cone-free for almost eight months and it was a great decision.

My hair used to eat up piles and piles of coney conditioner and it wasn't enough; it was always always dry. Now I don't have that problem; i use very little shampoo and watered down vo5 conditioner.

Hollyfire3
March 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I would do it; i've been cone-free for almost eight months and it was a great decision.

My hair used to eat up piles and piles of coney conditioner and it wasn't enough; it was always always dry. Now I don't have that problem; i use very little shampoo and watered down vo5 conditioner.

Do you use vo5? My hair eats conditioner as well....lol

Georgies
March 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Going cone free (and SLS shampoo free) completely fixed my curls and got rid of frizz. Oils are a good substitute for cones (for some people anyway). That takes alot of experimenting - it's really, really easy to use too much oil and end up with the greasies. Basically, the less of everything I use, including shampoo and conditioner, the happier my hair seems to be...

Long_hair_bear
March 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Typically, I'm cone free but use a cone condish every once and again when my hair needs some slip. I use toadstool soap on Etsys cone free, handmade condish.... Lovely stuff! I know some people on here need cones though,so it depends on what your hair likes.

Hollyfire3
March 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Typically, I'm cone free but use a cone condish every once and again when my hair needs some slip. I use toadstool soap on Etsys cone free, handmade condish.... Lovely stuff! I know some people on here need cones though,so it depends on what your hair likes.

That all sounds wonderful! I will look into it!

Hollyfire3
March 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Going cone free (and SLS shampoo free) completely fixed my curls and got rid of frizz. Oils are a good substitute for cones (for some people anyway). That takes alot of experimenting - it's really, really easy to use too much oil and end up with the greasies. Basically, the less of everything I use, including shampoo and conditioner, the happier my hair seems to be...

Yeah, my hair likes the less is more approach also, i have never tried oil (except for olive oil) and don't know even where to start, but i am thinking of it, the problem is i use mousse and don't want it to build up without SLS.

Roscata
March 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I suggest you clarify your hair before trying a new conditioner, to remove the cones you have on your hair now. Then you are free to try cone-free conditioners.

Hollyfire3
March 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I suggest you clarify your hair before trying a new conditioner, to remove the cones you have on your hair now. Then you are free to try cone-free conditioners.

I used the cone conditioner last night, it was terrible, flat nasty disgusting and i used my normal shampoo and cone free conditioner last night without clarifying i hoped my shampoo (it has SLS) would take out the cones....

Roscata
March 26th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I used the cone conditioner last night, it was terrible, flat nasty disgusting and i used my normal shampoo and cone free conditioner last night without clarifying i hoped my shampoo (it has SLS) would take out the cones....

That's not always the case, unfortunately. You should definitely try clarifying. Just my opinion. :)

HintOfMint
March 26th, 2012, 09:04 PM
If you don't want to clarify too soon because of your dye job, I would just switch to cone-free without clarifying. Contrary to popular belief, silicone is not permanently bonded to your hair and it should wear off with time and multiple washes. At this point, you just want to avoid more silicone buildup, so go as long as you can without clarifying. Once you feel your color has set and you are comfortable using a clarifying shampoo, go right ahead.

barely.there
March 26th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Not all up to date on all the hair terminology yet, but I have been silicone conditioner/shampoo free since around august 2011. I have very fine/thin hair so I use a very little amount of coconut oil to condition (about the amount of how big my fingernails are)...always a little bit at a time. you can always add more, but if you put in too much you gotta wash it again :P

my husband's long hair is thicker and more dense than mine. He needs more coconut oil than I do. You really just need to use the amount you need. I like coconut oil because it is extremely lightweight.

Hollyfire3
March 27th, 2012, 09:14 AM
If you don't want to clarify too soon because of your dye job, I would just switch to cone-free without clarifying. Contrary to popular belief, silicone is not permanently bonded to your hair and it should wear off with time and multiple washes. At this point, you just want to avoid more silicone buildup, so go as long as you can without clarifying. Once you feel your color has set and you are comfortable using a clarifying shampoo, go right ahead.

Yes, cone build up very bad right now....thank you, is vo5 a good cone free set to start with? If so, which set would you recomend? If not, what cone free set (perferably cheap in case i don't like it) would be better? Also, is mane and tail (the original) cone free? It has alot of protein, which might be good for my curl issues i am having (non existent curls...) it is also the only protein heavy shampoo and condish that works because my hair is dumb (not actually, but you know what i mean) and fickle. I will clarify if all else fails.

Hollyfire3
March 27th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Not all up to date on all the hair terminology yet, but I have been silicone conditioner/shampoo free since around august 2011. I have very fine/thin hair so I use a very little amount of coconut oil to condition (about the amount of how big my fingernails are)...always a little bit at a time. you can always add more, but if you put in too much you gotta wash it again :P

my husband's long hair is thicker and more dense than mine. He needs more coconut oil than I do. You really just need to use the amount you need. I like coconut oil because it is extremely lightweight.

What exactly does coconut oil do for hair, it sounds lovely, although i worry i would have to use alot....

Hollyfire3
March 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM
That's not always the case, unfortunately. You should definitely try clarifying. Just my opinion. :)

I would, but clarifying never really seems to work for me...(it doesn't really reset my hair, it takes out ALL the waves (i have even tried baking soda) and doesn't really help.) I would try it, but with the the hair dye, i don't want to risk washing it out even more (i wash daily) with no good results.

Khiwanean
March 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Yes, cone build up very bad right now....thank you, is vo5 a good cone free set to start with? If so, which set would you recomend? If not, what cone free set (perferably cheap in case i don't like it) would be better? Also, is mane and tail (the original) cone free? It has alot of protein, which might be good for my curl issues i am having (non existent curls...) it is also the only protein heavy shampoo and condish that works because my hair is dumb (not actually, but you know what i mean) and fickle. I will clarify if all else fails.I haven't tried Vo5's shampoos, but I do like their conditioners for the price. Suave is another cheapie and I like what shampoos and conditioners I've tried from their naturals line.

For me, moisture rather than protein is the key to lively curls. A good conditioner goes a long way toward bringing out my curl. I can't recommend Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition enough for that purpose. At least for me, it doesn't give a whole lot of slip to the hair, but the wonderful wurls were worth the extra care I had to take when detangling. I believe it's about $7 for a huge bottle at Walgreens.

I'm cone-free, but it's not for everyone. Good luck!

sfgirl
March 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I find v05's shampoo very harsh and drying. Even the "moisturizing" one. Than their condish has no cones, which is what I have to use if I use a harsh shampoo.
The conditioners are great on their own, or with a non sls bar, but stay away from their shampoos!

JuliaDancer
March 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
What exactly does coconut oil do for hair, it sounds lovely, although i worry i would have to use alot....

Coconut oil for me gives my hair a bit more slip, and keeps my ends from drying out. A little goes a long way, so definitely start very small. Unless you keep it in a warm spot, it will be a white solid. I just make one scrape with my index fingernail, and rub it in my palms until it's all melted (almost looks like it's absorbed into my skin) and slide my palms together on my ends, working up, then basically just running my fingers through my hair. You won't really see a dramatic difference, because once you see the oil, it's too late and you've used too much and it's too greasy...

Georgies
March 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I can't recommend Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition enough for that purpose. At least for me, it doesn't give a whole lot of slip to the hair, but the wonderful wurls were worth the extra care I had to take when detangling.

yes, second this, I recently jumped on the garnier bandwagon and I love it! It's amazingly rich for a cheap condish - I think I paid $5.

Hollyfire3
March 27th, 2012, 04:24 PM
yes, second this, I recently jumped on the garnier bandwagon and I love it! It's amazingly rich for a cheap condish - I think I paid $5.

Is it cone free?
Also, is mane and tail cone free
Shampoo ingredients
Ingredients

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Glycol Distearate, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Protein, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin.

I can always use vo5 or garnier as condish with this shampoo