PDA

View Full Version : Does damaged hair spread?

thirstylocks
March 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Hey all, I am a former hair bleacher trying to recover from all the damage I've done to my hair! I've been clean for a year and a half and my natural hair is about up to my chin. The rest of my hair goes to my shoulders. (I chopped off a whole lot of hair though because it was very damaged.) The last few inches of my hair that are bleached are severely damaged - they are so dry and tacky that when my friend felt them she asked me if I had spilled something on my hair that dried up!! They are also coppery and my natural hair is dark brown.

My question is - if I choose to not cut them until my hair gets very long - will the damage spread to my natural hair??

fridgee
March 26th, 2012, 02:20 AM
If you have split ends they can travel up the shaft of hair, so getting rid of them by S&Ding or microtrimming can help stop them spreading and mean you only lose a tiny bit of length rather than more in the long run.

If your bleached areas are just dry and/or rough they can contribute to tangling, which if not handled gently could lead to more damage, but this can often be reduced by using lost of moisture and slip using either oils or cones. Mineral oil is great for restoring dried out ends.

You could trim half your growth each month so you gradually get rid of the damage but still see growth and don't feel you are at a stand still and it would protect against any new splits travelling. :flower:

Amber_Maiden
March 26th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Yes, if your hair is damaged it can- split ends can rub against other hairs and create split ends.

Madora
March 26th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Mineral oil has been proven to help keep hair moisturized and keep splits at bay. Here's Ktani's article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

You might also be interested in her article on catnip rinses to combat the splits problem:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

heidi w.
March 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Potentially the damage can continue upward. But chances are it won't happen as dramatically as all that. You have the damage where it is now, and for the most part, that will remain in chaos.

I presume you do condition your hair? I have come to realize that a lot of people do not condition their hair. For you, I would suggest a deep conditioning treatment, and see how that goes.

My guess is that at some point, you will probably just get the gumption and remove the remaining hair that is unwelcome to you. THEN you can get on with learning a hair care routine that works for you, and stop trying to make the damage somehow better with this or that.

heidi w.

bunzfan
March 26th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Hey all, I am a former hair bleacher trying to recover from all the damage I've done to my hair! I've been clean for a year and a half and my natural hair is about up to my chin. The rest of my hair goes to my shoulders. (I chopped off a whole lot of hair though because it was very damaged.) The last few inches of my hair that are bleached are severely damaged - they are so dry and tacky that when my friend felt them she asked me if I had spilled something on my hair that dried up!! They are also coppery and my natural hair is dark brown.

My question is - if I choose to not cut them until my hair gets very long - will the damage spread to my natural hair??

When i used to colour my hair i used something like this weekly http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henna-Original-Conditioner-Natural-Classic/dp/B001Q8XPLQ it is fantastic for damaged hair i have also heard that coconut oil used regularly really helps with damage from bleach just ask rocket22.

Nev
March 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'm growing out bleach damage too :( but I'm pretty sure that only split ends can damage hair further up the hair shaft. As for the other kinds of hair damage, I don't believe that can spread

TiffanieJean
March 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Short Answer = yes, because theres already a lot of good advice. I started doing S&D and it's helped. I don't have to do trims as often now (My hair's fine and damage prone). Just keep as much moisture in your hair as you can to prevent new damage.

thirstylocks
March 29th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I deep condition, oil, and even do protein treatments every few months. Nothing really has worked. My hair is really gross and ratty at the ends :( Strangely enough, I haven't seen a split end in like years. I've gotten a couple of major cuts in just one year. The only problem is the bleach-induced damage.... I just feel like my hair either stopped growing or the bleached travelled up and lightened my natural hair color - idk..

malin_798
March 29th, 2012, 03:50 AM
I deep condition, oil, and even do protein treatments every few months. Nothing really has worked. My hair is really gross and ratty at the ends :( Strangely enough, I haven't seen a split end in like years. I've gotten a couple of major cuts in just one year. The only problem is the bleach-induced damage.... I just feel like my hair either stopped growing or the bleached travelled up and lightened my natural hair color - idk..

I'm experiencing the same thing. As if the lighter color spreads to my virgin hair. Escexially in my bangs. The other parts of my hair has either grown a lot more or it's travelling up the hair :O I'm going to cut away the damage as soon as I feel like it's long enough cut away by using layers (for me about middle of ear length) :)

LocustSpawning
March 29th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Bleach damaged hair would really benefit from Redken's 'all soft' range. Look it up online, 'tis worth a try! It works miracles for some people. Good luck :)

jojo
March 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Think of damage as a frayed rope, eventually it will fray further up, these frayed ends will then tangle round healthier strands of hair which make combing harder and may cause damage to healthier hair. Id clarify to give your hair a fresh start, then do a DC and follow by a few drops of baby oil, its worked wonders in my hair and ive not experienced any build up from it.

lolot
March 30th, 2012, 09:42 AM
i think that if they are damaged and you dont want to cut to your chin, you should be trimming regularly to get rid of that, because damaged and old hair just get worse with time

lolot
March 30th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Bleach damaged hair would really benefit from Redken's 'all soft' range. Look it up online, 'tis worth a try! It works miracles for some people. Good luck :)

I have the Redken all soft mask and i dont like it, it has too many cones that leave my hair flat and overloaded