PDA

View Full Version : Self trims

Shanarana
March 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
This may sound real stupid, and hope that I'm not the only one (may have to admit myself).

I do my own trims. Usually they are micro, but my last trim I took off maybe close to a 1/2 inch which is not a lot to show any difference in my hair, but to me after a trim like that I feel that my hair is short for about a day or two than I'm over it.

I will regret the trim first because of those feelings right after. Than I'll be glad I did it for the healthy look of my hair (Growing out layers). Seems stupid I know, but I tend to go through this every time a small trim may be called for.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not a crazy person by nature....I do take my meds. daily.:D

FrannyG
March 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I think it's not unusual to feel a twinge of regret after even a small trim. I used to feel that way a lot. However I had a lot of damage and had to chop off six inches last July. I was so happy to see my smooth, straight, silky ends that I had no regret at all. I now do self-trims bi-monthly. I'm taking of about a third of my growth each time. Now that I'm seeing such good results, I'm really happy now every time I have a trim.

I try not to see it as a setback. I look at it as a positive step on my journey toward longer, prettier hair.

Long story short--I got over it. :flowers:

Neon Gloss
March 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Ooh, definitely not stupid at all! Do you want to know what's stupid? I used to cut my own hair. Yes, and I mean CUT it! Shoulder length! Eyebrow-length bangs! *shiver*

I think trims are important, mostly for the sake of removing split ends, though. It always upsets me when I trim my hair, but I think it's better than the ends of my hair breaking off (used to happen a lot).

It's funny how losing just 1/4 inch of your hair puts you through a miniature state of depression for a little while, eh?

ChloeDharma
March 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
This may sound real stupid, and hope that I'm not the only one (may have to admit myself).

I do my own trims. Usually they are micro, but my last trim I took off maybe close to a 1/2 inch which is not a lot to show any difference in my hair, but to me after a trim like that I feel that my hair is short for about a day or two than I'm over it.

I will regret the trim first because of those feelings right after. Than I'll be glad I did it for the healthy look of my hair (Growing out layers). Seems stupid I know, but I tend to go through this every time a small trim may be called for.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not a crazy person by nature....I do take my meds. daily.:D

No, i understand......i used to trim every 3 or 4 or 6 lol months, but always took maybe an inch or so off, except for once when my ex's mother dusted my ends for me which was great cos i'd gone "ok, would you take half an inch off? Do you think that's enough? Or maybe an inch but no more than that..." and she goes (she was a hairdresser) "Oh no, nowhere near half an inch.....about an 8th will be fine!" so i was ginning like a cheshire cat.

Anyway, my point, i get what you mean about loosing that valuable growth you really want......as you do your own hair could you not just dust it instead? That way you only remove a tiny bit but loose that prone to tangles thing that comes with ends sometimes after a few months of not being cut.

ETA- Oooh what about just doing an S&D to replace maybe 2 out of 3 trims? Presuming you want a neatish hem? Otherwise you could JUST do S&D's and keep all your length.

lynnala
March 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
How do you go about trimming your hair so it comes out even? My hair is about BSL, and it's grown into a very sharp "V" shape and I want to round it out, but I have trouble making it come out even, and then I want to keep trimming.....

biggeorge
March 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I put it off as long as I could, and I had to grit my teeth, but after a little over two years I had to trim the ends and even it out some. I ended up taking almost 2" off the back and less along the sides; but was extremely happy with the results!

Sometimes ya gots to do what ya gots to do!

Shanarana
March 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have used this site as a guide:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/2156.html#cutid1

You get the look you want depending on how you hold your head while trimming.

ReadingRenee
March 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I can never seem to get the feye method to work for me. It ALWAYS comes out uneven! But I keep on trying... what do they say the definition of insanity is? and you thought YOU were crazy. :D

lynnala
March 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I have used this site as a guide:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/2156.html#cutid1

You get the look you want depending on how you hold your head while trimming. Ah, thanks! That's how I've been doing it, basically, but I never used the head tilt, I always look down, and that's why I got that sharp "v"!

lynnala
March 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hey, I did it! And finally took a pic. (That little strand over to the left belongs down in the lower area...I don't think it's a trim mistake!)

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
yep i 2 use feyes method-although i don't care if it is crooked (my hair is too thin at the bottom to tell anyway)
Next time i'll tilt my head up to get a more subtle V.

heidihug
March 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I don't "V" my hair, I like it straighter across the back, so I don't use feye per se - more of a modified feye. I just brush it very straight to the back, then grab it all up behind my head, swing it over my shoulder and trim it, then do the same thing over the other shoulder; flip it forwards, brush and trim; flop it to one side, brush and trim, then the other side, brush and trim. That usually does it. It is a time consuming process as I am very particular, but I only trim about every 6 months or so. I do not, under any circumstances, trust a stylist to trim my hair, as I have been burned in the past by "helpful" people who lop off 10 inches instead of 2, because when I say "just two inches", I can't possible mean it. Grr.

Celtic Queen
March 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM
LOVE Frey's trim method, it freed me from the hair stylists with happy scisors and even worst round brushes and blowdriers (last time I had my hair "trimmed", pre-TLHC, that hurt!!!).

I do it between every 2 and 6 months, depending on my mood, and the length depends on the time. it may be just a dust-off, or a tad longer. I was so scared the first time I tried!

Kittee
March 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Well I did it last night. I did the self trim and just like the OP, I have serious regrets at first lol. I'm still mourning my loss today! But I know it looks a lot better now. =P If your interested you can click on the picture in my album.

spidermom
March 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
No more self-trimming for me; I made a mess of it.

I try not to waste energy in regret over something like hair; it's going to grow back. I had a couple of days of "mourning" lost length back in 2005 when I got rid of 5 inches all at once. That was a BIG change, and I wanted longer, not shorter, but decided to get rid of very bad ends. I simply cannot tolerate bad ends; they plague me.

Unofficial_Rose
March 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I did the Feye method a week or so ago - only half to 1 inch - but I felt like my hair was a more awkward length.
The colour and condition were noticeably better though :shrug:
and it's grown back a little already, so I don't feel so bad. It's not perfectly even, but my hair is pretty wavy, so it's not obvious.

So glad to find this method instead of going to the hairdressers and possibly coming out with MUCH shorter hair, as has happened in the past. (not always - sometimes someone does it perfectly - but it's happened enough for me to be scared of going ;))