PDA

View Full Version : Do any "straighties" use curly products?

GabrielleRose
March 25th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Hello! I was just wondering if any straight haired folks use curly products? I was thinking of trying them since my hair tends to get dry, and I've heard that curly products are more moisturizing. Is this true?

The curly product I picked up today from Sally's is the "As I Am" coconut co-wash. I usually get some good results from CO so maybe this will work out or I'll be a big ol' grease ball.:p

RitaPG
March 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM
At first I was wondering if you meant natural hair products. But yes, I have used conditioners and leave-ins formulated for curlies even though my hair is straight. Products for straight hair are often silicone-based and while they're nice for coating the hair, they don't do much for moisture, probably because I'm still growing out dye damage, and curly products usually have more oils and glycerine, and my hair seems to hold moisture and softness for longer.

I usually get along well using a light and runny conditioner for all my hair, but when the ends need extra pampering I use the light one on the scalp and a heavier one on the ends. I don't use rich conditioners on my scalp, though, they seem to make my hair get greasy faster.
If that conditioner turns out to be too heavy, just use something light on the scalp and use that one for the length and ends.

GabrielleRose
March 25th, 2012, 07:36 PM
At first I was wondering if you meant natural hair products. But yes, I have used conditioners and leave-ins formulated for curlies even though my hair is straight. Products for straight hair are often silicone-based and while they're nice for coating the hair, they don't do much for moisture, probably because I'm still growing out dye damage, and curly products usually have more oils and glycerine, and my hair seems to hold moisture and softness for longer.

I usually get along well using a light and runny conditioner for all my hair, but when the ends need extra pampering I use the light one on the scalp and a heavier one on the ends. I don't use rich conditioners on my scalp, though, they seem to make my hair get greasy faster.
If that conditioner turns out to be too heavy, just use something light on the scalp and use that one for the length and ends.

Thank you for your input. :flower:

Also, thanks for the advice on using a lighter one on the scalp and a heavier one on the length.

RitaPG
March 25th, 2012, 07:41 PM
You're welcome :) This is actually a tip that a lot of people use here on LHC, because the scalp and the ends have different needs when it comes to moisture; the scalp hair gets enough oil by itself so you can get along with a cheap, light conditioner, but the natural oils don't reach all the way down and that's why the ends are more dry, so a rich, moisturizing conditioner works best ^^'

MissEarlGrey
March 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I use Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie. But only a tiny bit on my ends.

Amber_Maiden
March 25th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I do. I use conditioner for curlies, because I like the weighed down feeling for my thick hair.

PlushMistress
March 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM
What would be considered a lighter conditioner? I find that if I don't wash every other day and I use conditioner only on the in-between days, my hair feels weighed down and greasy until I was it again. And my ends get so dry, so I've tried only washing my scalp and then conditioning my entire head, but I'm still experiencing the dryness.

RitaPG
March 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM
What would be considered a lighter conditioner? I find that if I don't wash every other day and I use conditioner only on the in-between days, my hair feels weighed down and greasy until I was it again. And my ends get so dry, so I've tried only washing my scalp and then conditioning my entire head, but I'm still experiencing the dryness.
If your scalp feels greasy with the conditioner you're currently using, I'd advise you to look for something cheap, more runny and watery and with less ingredients and preferably cone free for scalp washes. You can use a heavier conditioner on the dry ends.

ladyfey
March 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I use Kinky Curly's Knot Today as a leave-in on my very straight hair.