PDA

View Full Version : Question about layers at WL

my2cats1
March 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I recently had my thick, dense, slightly-wavy BSL hair layered, and I love it. But now I'm wondering how this affects my goal of getting the longest layer to waist length. Do you think that waist-length hair with layers (shortest layer sitting at collarbone) would work? It works on my BSL length now, but I'm wondering if I can get it to WL without it looking 'disconnected' (like a grown-out mullet) in back.

I really want to keep the layers starting where they are now, but I don't want to give up on my dream of having WL hair, either........do I have to choose, or would WL with THAT much layering blend well?:eyebrows:

BBdck1
March 26th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I have wl hair with layers starting around my shoulder. I think it blends in okay but it might depend on your hair type and maybe even color. I like my layers but thinking about growing it out a bit longer so i can have a longer braid without ends sticking out. My layers also stick out of buns too which can look cool but not when going for the slick look. I still like layered hair but will probably grow it out until the shortest one is bsl

Arya
March 26th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I have hip length hair and layers. It all depends how they're cut, and what you want to do with your hair at that length. Layers do sneak out of braids and updos.

Ocelan
March 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I have almost WL hair with layers, shortest ones at about collarbone and I did like my layers a lot when my hair was APL-BSL. However now I'm trying to grow them out since they do make updos and braids a lot more difficult and of course the braids taper a lot more with layers.
I have the most layering around my face, but I do have it in the back aswell. The face framing layers are a bit of a problem when making multiple strand braids since even if I make the strands even thickness where they start, the outermost strands that have the most hair from around the face taper out and are pretty much nonexistent when getting lower into the braid. You have thicker hair though and the amount of layering is also very much a key in this thing.
A good thing about layers is though that if you curl your hair (or have wavy or curly hair), the curls on the shorter layers show curl patterns also higher up and the hair doesn't look so much like a flat block of hair with the curl pattern only in the ends. But I'm sure you know better about that being wavier than me.

Mayflower
March 26th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I have heavily layered WL hair. It doesn't look "weird" or anything, just makes the longest layer look really thin, while I do have a lot of hair on top. I have layers as short as chinlenght, maybe even shorter haha. It gives a lot of volume at the roots, but I'm hoping most of them are gonna grow out soon. I'm really sick of them.

Nev
March 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I have waistlength hair, and layers from about my chin. I grew my hair with my layers. It is a little scraggly at the ends, but thats mostly from S&D. But I do love having layers and I'm definately keeping them. I don't think you'll have any problems growing your hair with the layers you want. I didn't :)

Amber_Maiden
March 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I have hip length hair, but I got layers done when my hair was waist length. Worked and look define on me. I don't find it interferes too much with updos.

TiffanieJean
March 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I did the same thing when I cut my hair back to BSL, and my hair is getting close to hip length now. I like my hair with layers (even tho I have fine hair) because it looks a whole lot better with curls in it (sock bun of course). I don't think you will need to change anything as your hair grows. Especially if your hair is on the med/thick side. Just have the layers start a little lower.

dulce
March 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
My hair is ii and I was told by a hardresser my hair is too fine and thin to have layers past APL-BSL.At waist I have it almost one length now.If mine was thicker I'd still have layers.Your hair is thicker than mine so it should be ok.I think the thickness determines how long you can grow with layers.

kidari
March 26th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I like a lot of shorter layers, even at the back of my head. I find that this is difficult to have past MBL on me because I have ii hair and because of the amount of layers and the type of layers I prefer. It makes a lot of hairstyles difficult to do because a lot of my hair is chin length and then a lot of it is almost waist length. Also, it makes it look like my ends are tapered and thinning due to the blending of all the layers and from the back on a bad day can look mullet-like. I think if you had thicker hair and the layers start lower and you don't have too many it looks better at longer lengths.

Avital88
March 26th, 2012, 02:52 PM
i have tailbone length hair and a fringe and chinlength layers..i always have layer between chinlength and colarbone length,else i feel like im gonna look like morticia from the Adams Family.
I think with your thick hair you're pretty safe:)