PDA

View Full Version : Biotin supplements?

CharleaMurphy
March 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I've seen some great reviews on Biotin supplements and them helping grow longer stronger hair and nails faster.
Have any of you tried/used biotin supplements and are they any good?

I have super slow growing hair and it's so frustrating so I'd love anything that can speed up the growth of healthy hair. (;

Perelka74
March 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I take a hair and nail formula but just started two weeks ago , I will let you know if it works . My hair is not growing at all and I an trying to boost that with vitamins as well as protein shakes and good diet .

GoldberryHair
March 25th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I used to take them but I ran out and due to being tight on money I haven't been able to get more and I gotta say my hair does not feel as nice as it usually does. :(

2peasinapod
March 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
It works, but it makes me break out a bit more than normal. I think that's a common side effect. I didn't take a separate supplement, just a multivitamin with biotin in it.

Madora
March 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
As 2peadsinapod observed, biotin does make some people break out - badly in some cases.

Others have reported it helped them and yet others said it did nothing for them. I'm in the latter category. However, biotin supplements made my nails grow faster than usual.

If you take biotin, start with a low dosage first and see how your body responds. Then gradually work your way up to a safe level.

To help with hair growth, you might want to consider daily scalp massage in the bent at the waist position, or laying down with your head over the edge of the bed. Be sure to detangle your hair before and after you've massaged.

Miss Catrina
March 25th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I've taken 1000 mcg every day for long periods of time before. I do believe it helped my hair - though it's hard to tell. It has definitely helped my nails, which is a good sign.

Sillage
March 25th, 2012, 06:06 PM
It works, but it makes me break out a bit more than normal. I think that's a common side effect.

DARN I was all excited until I read this. :(

mousek
March 25th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I took a biotin supplement for about a month before I started getting large cystic bumps on my face, in addition to some regular run-of-the-mill pimples. My skin is normally pretty clear, so this was a shock. It took another month after I stopped taking it for my face to start to get back to normal.

Not trying to dissuade you from taking it, but I wish I would have stopped when I got the first cyst, rather than continuing to take it for a while. Maybe I can save you from the same regret.

2peasinapod
March 25th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Don't be too sad. It wasn't that bad (I break out a bit anyway), and after my body got used to it, the breakouts went back to their normal state. The only way to tell is to try it for yourself. I would recommend doing what I did and trying a multivitamin with it (I don't remember how much mine has, but it's like 10% DV) before going up to a higher dose. Some people do fine on a lower dose (and still get the hair benefits), but not the higher ones.

And if you get cystic acne, definitely don't keep taking it.

filthygorgeous
March 25th, 2012, 06:35 PM
ive taking biotin on a normal basis for about a year. I think it makes you have a lil more hair (everywhere) but i don't think it makes it grow faster. you will feel like your hair is heavier. You have to take it consistantly. I do wax way more now! ugh!

Perelka74
March 25th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I been taking some biotin in the hair and nail formula for the last two weeks but so far there is no problem with my skin.

RitaPG
March 25th, 2012, 06:37 PM
A while ago I took biotin for a month and my hair and nails grew like crazy! I never had any breakout issues, but then again, I don't overdo the recommended daily dosage, in fact, I just took it every other day and my blood tests showed I was high on B12 (not bad high, just high between normal levels)
But it is common for some to react badly to biotin, I just don't know why it happens. Maybe they already have enough biotin in their system..

If you could share a bit of your routine (both hair and lifestyle) maybe we could give you a little more help. There are a million different reasons why your hair could be growing slow, for example; if your diet is poor and you're missing a couple basic nutrients, that's enough to put your skin and hair in trouble, and a regular multi-vitamin will probably be of more help than just biotin. Or if you're under stress, then no supplement will help.
Or maybe you don't handle your hair with enough care, sometimes even brushing hair the wrong way can cause breakage.
So if you can tell us a little bit about your hair type and your hair routine, maybe we can give you better tips for growth :)

Miss Catrina
March 25th, 2012, 06:39 PM
DARN I was all excited until I read this. :(

It hasn't had much of an effect with me. Sometimes I'll switch to every other day, and it clears up. Mainly I feel like it just worsen my PMS acne.

Sillage
March 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM
The only way to tell is to try it for yourself.

True, but I'm even fussier about my skin than I am with my hair, LOL. It's not worth the risk for me at the moment but I might get desperate if my hair keeps crawling along at its current rate. :o

RPRedding
March 25th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I went to Whole Foods to get all my hair oils and supplements, and happened to ask one of the employees what to take for better hair growth. I was in between buying MSM and Biotin, and the lady immediately told me to go with MSM. She told me about how Biotin is a B vitamin, which is water soluble. So you drink a couple glasses of water, and the Biotin will completely flush out of your system. MSM stays in your body longer and is absorbed better, so I would go with that over Biotin if you're just looking for one supplement!! I ended up getting a Hair/Nails/Skin supplement which contains some Biotin in it anyways, so hopefully the combination will be even better!!

Desdesdes
March 25th, 2012, 09:01 PM
ive taking biotin on a normal basis for about a year. I think it makes you have a lil more hair (everywhere) but i don't think it makes it grow faster. you will feel like your hair is heavier. You have to take it consistantly. I do wax way more now! ugh!

I was taking a B vitamin stress mix that included Biotin and my skin suffered, but the "everywhere" hair was just as frustrating :(

2peasinapod
March 25th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I've heard that the B vitamins in biotin compete with the B vitamins in your body and that's what causes breakouts, but I don't know enough about the subject to comment.

The comment above made me remember that I also take MSM, although not for hair growth. I take a glucosamine supplement with MSM for my joints, so maybe that also has an effect on my hair. It seems to grow faster than normal (anywhere between a half inch to sometimes an inch a month), so that may be worth trying if you don't want to risk breakouts. I also take a multivitamin and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Good luck with whatever you try!

Miss Catrina
March 25th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I haven't noticed any particular changes in body hair while taking it.

ETA: Not that I'm saying it isn't a real side effect - just that it affects everyone differently.

PixxieStix
March 25th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've been taking the hair, skin and nails supplement since September or so of last year, and really haven't noticed a change in my hair growth rate at all, but my nails are stronger, and are possibly growing faster than they used to.

I'm acne prone anyway, so I can't attest to whether or not the pills have increased it for me or not. I only take two every other day though, and not the "recommended" three pills every day. That's just way too much for your body to have to flush out of its system.

BrightEyes
March 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM
When I was taking 5000 mcg of biotin I had major breakouts so I cut back to 1000 mcg (and I was a little nervous taking such a high amount). Since I've cut back to 1000 mcg I haven't had any problems with breakouts.

Since taking Biotin regularly my growth rate has increased a little. I also have new growth, although there could be other contributing factors (such as reduced heat and all around more gentle care). My nails also seem to grow faster. I say just give it a try and see if it'll work for you:)

DaniVerde
March 25th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Well, I can't attest for head hair growth, but I can say my eyebrows....geez! :p

After taking biotin for a couple of weeks (5mg/daily), my eyebrows were growing like weeds! And this is an annoying thing for me, since I'm a pale Mediterranean skin type with super-dark brows...

I stopped taking the biotin whilst I debate the pros and cons of having to wax my eyebrows every 10 days/2 weeks :bigtongue:

Slug Yoga
March 25th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I broke out like crazy with biotin as well, cystic acne, so I stopped.

CharleaMurphy
March 26th, 2012, 01:00 PM
My hair routine is quite simple. The longest parts of my hair are bra strap length, but my shortest layers are chin length. I used to straighten it a lot but now I don't straighten it at all (although I maybe would for a party or something). I don't use any styling products on my hair anymore, I just use Head and Shoulders shampoo and a Tresseme (sp?) conditioner. I don't brush it when wet, just run my fingers through it because I've heard that can cause breakage. I have been trimming back my split ends and overall just leaving my hair to do it's natural thing (as annoying as that can be, since it kinks out in annoying places). I have coloured my hair a few times in the past. Nothing too damaging, just darker shades of brown/cherry. I haven't coloured it in about 5 months and don't plan to colour it again.
As for my lifestyle, I am an average weight, quite tall. My diet is quite poor, as I have problems with fruit/vegetables and I take a vitamin supplement containing vitamin A, B, Iron etc. I don't think my diet is having too much of a negative impact on my body as my skin is usually quite good, with the occasional pimple.

I don't use metal in my hair (clips, hair ties with metal fastenings) and I've been generally trying to take better care of my hair recently. I've started daily scalp massages because I hear those are good too.

iSuperHeroic
March 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM
It DOES give some people acne issues, I deal with it because how fast my hair grows now.

I've heard that taking Zinc supplements can get rid of the acne. I haven't tried it yet though.

CharleaMurphy
March 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I'm going to start out taking 1000mcg a day, and if I have any major skin problems I will discontinue using it.
What dosage do you take?

iSuperHeroic
March 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'm going to start out taking 1000mcg a day, and if I have any major skin problems I will discontinue using it.
What dosage do you take?

I take around 5000mcg a day and my skin isn't really bad at all.

CharleaMurphy
March 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM

I'll try out the 1000mcg and if that goes well I may up my dosage.
I really am so desperate for hair growth. It took me 2 and a half years to grow it from chin length to BSL, and then I had some stupid layers cut that I need to grow out. So my longest layers are BSL but the others graduate from chin length. >.<

RitaPG
March 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Seems that you're doing all the right things, but since only recently you stopped using the straightener and dyeing, you should see more/ better progress from now on.

iSuperHeroic
March 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'll try out the 1000mcg and if that goes well I may up my dosage.
I really am so desperate for hair growth. It took me 2 and a half years to grow it from chin length to BSL, and then I had some stupid layers cut that I need to grow out. So my longest layers are BSL but the others graduate from chin length. >.<

I am too. My hair grows SO slow.
That's why I've upped my dosage so many times, I have no patience.

My longest layer has JUUUST reached SDL, my shortest layer reaches the top of my ears. I really regret getting those stupid layers. :(

CharleaMurphy
March 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM

I am too. My hair grows SO slow.
That's why I've upped my dosage so many times, I have no patience.

My longest layer has JUUUST reached SDL, my shortest layer reaches the top of my ears. I really regret getting those stupid layers. :(

I was going for the whole "scene" hair look, but I never realised how damaging it would be to my hair. I had super short layers, about 2 inches long, which has made my overall hair really thin and it will take me years to grow it how I want it :(

iSuperHeroic
March 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I was going for the whole "scene" hair look, but I never realised how damaging it would be to my hair. I had super short layers, about 2 inches long, which has made my overall hair really thin and it will take me years to grow it how I want it :(

Same. O___O

I just wish my hair would go POOF and be back to how it was before I wanted to be 'scene.'

CharleaMurphy
March 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Same. O___O

I just wish my hair would go POOF and be back to how it was before I wanted to be 'scene.'

Mine was quite long, then in year 6 I got a really short cut thanks to my mum's persuasion.
Since then it hasn't been growing much, and by year 8 it was shoulder length.
Then in year 9 I became obsessed with scene hair/layers but a few months on it was damaging my hair and I wanted rid of it.
Now I'm testing my patience and trying as many things as possible to get it growing again ;'/

Silverbrumby
March 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've been taking Biotin and Biosil for 12 months now consistently due to a dramatic but gradual change in my hair. After I was diagnosied with thyroid disease 7 1/2 years ago I started taken replacement meds. My hair went from med. to fine and I've lost about 1/2 the volume. With biosil, biotin, massage, reading these boards, combing, no wet brushing etc I THINK I've gained something back.

My pony trail measurements have gone from 2.25 to 2.75. I have about 6 plus inches all around my head of new growth. The front of my hair line is pretty full for a woman of my age and did fill in. All of this started to change when I started biotin and biosil. Biosil has been shown in clinical studies to increase the diameter of womens hair over 40 by 12&#37;. That doesn't sound much but to me, a gal who has lost so much and is adjusting to this new hair, it's huge. I really think the biosil helped here.

My nails have stopped 'onion peeling' something they have done all my life. If my cuticle was as frail as my nail layers then I'm hoping that now my nails are tough, strong and just occassionily snap off since starting biotin and biosil, that the new hair (6 plus inches) has a similarly strong cuticle now. If it does then when the old hair gets cut out I'm HOPING and praying the new hair is stronger and sleeker, less prone to frizzing.

What biotin or biosil has NOT done. Make my hair grow any faster. Still 1/2 inch a month. I just started monistat about 3 weeks ago and already my hair growth has gone up. This, so far, has been the only thing that has worked for me. I did get the awful headache at the beginning btw.

CharleaMurphy
March 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I've been taking Biotin and Biosil for 12 months now consistently due to a dramatic but gradual change in my hair. After I was diagnosied with thyroid disease 7 1/2 years ago I started taken replacement meds. My hair went from med. to fine and I've lost about 1/2 the volume. With biosil, biotin, massage, reading these boards, combing, no wet brushing etc I THINK I've gained something back.

My pony trail measurements have gone from 2.25 to 2.75. I have about 6 plus inches all around my head of new growth. The front of my hair line is pretty full for a woman of my age and did fill in. All of this started to change when I started biotin and biosil. Biosil has been shown in clinical studies to increase the diameter of womens hair over 40 by 12%. That doesn't sound much but to me, a gal who has lost so much and is adjusting to this new hair, it's huge. I really think the biosil helped here.

My nails have stopped 'onion peeling' something they have done all my life. If my cuticle was as frail as my nail layers then I'm hoping that now my nails are tough, strong and just occassionily snap off since starting biotin and biosil, that the new hair (6 plus inches) has a similarly strong cuticle now. If it does then when the old hair gets cut out I'm HOPING and praying the new hair is stronger and sleeker, less prone to frizzing.

What biotin or biosil has NOT done. Make my hair grow any faster. Still 1/2 inch a month. I just started monistat about 3 weeks ago and already my hair growth has gone up. This, so far, has been the only thing that has worked for me. I did get the awful headache at the beginning btw.

I will be happy with any results Biotin has on my hair, even if just to thicken/strengthen it and make it more healthy. I also take pride in having long nails so hopefully this will make them grow even longer ;)

Sharpay
March 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I take 5000mcg a day and my skin looks clearer than it ever has. I love biotin and can tell my hair has grown in length as well. Good luck and keep us posted on how it works for you.

CharleaMurphy
March 26th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I take 5000mcg a day and my skin looks clearer than it ever has. I love biotin and can tell my hair has grown in length as well. Good luck and keep us posted on how it works for you.

Thanks.
I think I'll take monthly shots of my hair, and hopefully I'll notice some growth.

jojo
March 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Growing hair is like seeing a child grow, dont be in such a rush and enjoy every stage. for the record the only thing biotin did for me was put me into mild renal failure; a healthy varied diet is all you need!

Ravenwind
March 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I took Biotin 5000mcg and I noticed a HUGE difference. I stopped dying my hair to measure my growth by my roots, and it has grown significantly faster. My nails have also been growing faster and they're a lot stronger, and my skin also feels better. Having said that, everyone is different so what has worked for me might not work the same for anyone else. I also took folic acid, and now I'm taking a Hair, Skin, and Nails supplement I got from Costco. Amazing stuff!

CharleaMurphy
March 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I took Biotin 5000mcg and I noticed a HUGE difference. I stopped dying my hair to measure my growth by my roots, and it has grown significantly faster. My nails have also been growing faster and they're a lot stronger, and my skin also feels better. Having said that, everyone is different so what has worked for me might not work the same for anyone else. I also took folic acid, and now I'm taking a Hair, Skin, and Nails supplement I got from Costco. Amazing stuff!

I hope I can get the same results ;p

KwaveT
March 28th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I don't think biotin itself makes my hair grow faster. I think MSM or silica was responsible for that. I have noticed a difference in thickness of hair though. As for breakouts, I broke out for about 3 weeks or so after I went from 1000 to 2500 mg and it stopped after that. I have gone from 2500 to 3500 mg and they have returned. I am going to wait and see if it goes away again when it adjusts to this new dose.

Nephele
March 29th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I started taking Biotin about a year ago and although it didn't make my hair grow any faster, my nails grew like weeds and are SO STRONG. Prior to taken the biotin my nails would peel like onions and I could bend them back they were so fragile. Now they are like normal nails.

I stopped taking Biotin a few months ago. I have since found out what DOES make my hair grow faster (like crazy faster than what it used to grow - about a month ago I started doing all of my vegie shopping at a local farmers market. All of the produce is organic, free range etc. As I'd bought so much food whilst shopping there I was forced to eat lots and lots of varied vegetables for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as free range eggs and chicken.

My hair as grown over an inch in a month as a result. Before that I was looking at half a cm/1 cm growth per month, if that.

Not only is my hair growing faster, but my nails are just as strong as when I was on the biotin, I have more energy and I feel better as I'm giving back to the local farmers.

So there you have it - my hair growth trick is eating lots and lots of really good fruits and vegies, eggs and poultry (plus some dairy)!