PDA

View Full Version : tangle teezer or not

lolot
March 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
im wondering because its plastic, and reading here some of you say is better a broast bristle brush or nothing
ive been finger combing for a while and i like it but sometimes i miss the straightening effect of brushing my hair, should i buy a tangle teezer or it causes damage and breakage like other brushes??
and once i bought a bristle brush and it ended in the trash because i did nothing to my hair
any experience or recommendation would be really appreciated :p
thanks!

Covet
March 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I can't live without my TT! It saves me soooo much time when I detangle, its like magic. I absolutely adore my one. I would totally recommend it. There's definitely a thread floating around on it already, if you use the search function and find it you can see many more opinions.

jacqueline101
March 25th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I don't know about the actual tangle teezer but I got a different version called hair bean. I'm going to give it a try.

Mesmerise
March 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM
A Tangle Teezer works fine for me. I don't see how it could be damaging for your hair (Unless you have really really damageable hair!!).

I did find it didn't work well for my daughter's hair (which is super fine and very thick) but it works great on me (I don't tangle all that bad though lol). My son, who has a super sensitive scalp, also used to like using it (although is hair is usually too short to bother brushing at all).

lolot
March 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I can't live without my TT! It saves me soooo much time when I detangle, its like magic. I absolutely adore my one. I would totally recommend it. There's definitely a thread floating around on it already, if you use the search function and find it you can see many more opinions.

thanks for your reply :D
i saw the post and read through some pages but i could find the comparation between, a boar bristle brush, a tt or finger combing if theres is one already.

but im seriously thinking in trying this stuff

lolot
March 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM
thanks for your replys too i was posting and when i hit enter you were there already, :D thanks

Mesmerise why it didnt work on your daughter, was it because she has fine hair?

ptricia
March 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Well I like the tangle teezer for detangling my lenghts. I don't like to use it on my scalp. When I have an itchy scalp it feels nice to brush te scalp with the tangle taser. But the plastic pins are quite sharp, they scrape the scaple. When you have dandruff, the tangle teezer will loosen the flakes. I have an oily scalp, I think the tangle teezer stimulatesthe glands in my scalp to much. It makes my hair greasy.

I own a tangle teezer but I only use it on my scalp before shampooing.

caadam
March 25th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Considering the feel of the teeth on a Tangle Teezer, I don't think they are plastic. They feel almost like silicone or something else, but definitely not plastic!

Saying that, I loooove my TT! I use it when my hair is damp (on the brink of just starting to dry), and it helps to pull sebum down the length of my hair. I discovered this last night and my hair is soft and SUPER shiny now! So lots of love for TT. lol

ETA: From my TT experience, it hasn't really damaged my hair. If you're careful enough to know that you don't rip anything through your hair and always start at the hem, you're good. TT works through tangles like a charm when used correctly. :D

brave
March 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I love mine. Ordinary brushes get caught in my hair and it sounds like "ouch. ouch. OUCH. ouch." but this goes through pretty effortlessly. Unlike most paddle brushes or cheap combs it also seems to not break up waves into masses of frizz - keeps them together and smoothes them a bit. Big fan. It's also one of the few brushes that did anything styling-wise to my boyfriend's hair. I was worried he would steal it for a bit there.

ratgirldjh
March 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I have a couple and pretty quickly realized that I never reach for it unless my hair is too hard to untangle and since my hair almost never tangles I don't use it! My cats love it though. I also realized that my hair wasn't as nice when I used it as when I use my BBB since usually I will put a drop of oil on my hands and smooth it through with the BBB. The TT didn't work as well with the oil and I got oily strands instead of nice lush hair even with a tiny bit of oil... :shrug:

Amber_Maiden
March 25th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I have a Tangle Teezer- it has seriously saved my hair. I would have cut it by now without it, because my hair is so thick! I see no damage from it.

Sillage
March 25th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I just got a TT because of the other thread-- and it's great! :D I love the most for scalp massage but it also does a better job detangling than my nylon/boar bristle bush.

afu
March 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I just got a TT because of the other thread-- and it's great! :D I love the most for scalp massage but it also does a better job detangling than my nylon/boar bristle bush.

you mentioned the scalp massage, has anyone ever tried using one to do a scalp massage during CO washing to get the lather and distribute conditioner into the hair?

afu
March 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM

you mentioned the scalp massage, has anyone ever tried using one to do a scalp massage during CO washing to get the lather and distribute conditioner into the hair?

Sillage
March 25th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Afu,it sounds like it might be very helpful idea for people who need extra help massaging the gunk out of their hair when they CO. The TT feels so amazing on the scalp:D

lolot
March 25th, 2012, 08:10 PM
thanks for your replies, you convinced me, im going to look for it tomorrow, ill tell you how it goes if i find it

sfgirl
March 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I think you can't compare a TT with a BBB. BBB are for polishing, while combs, TT, and fingers are for combing. I'm sure you could do fine with both. :)

Slug Yoga
March 25th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Is it maybe more helpful for people with curly/wavy hair than straight hair? Seems like on a casual glance most of you TT lovers have wavy or curly hair. :) I've been thinking about getting one, but like the OP, was afraid of damage.

hototogisu
March 26th, 2012, 01:27 AM
SFGirl is right - you really can't compare a TT and BBB. I use both together, starting with the TT to detangle and the BBB to polish. Both have seriously made my hair much, much better.

Tota
March 26th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I couldn't reccomend TT more. I also would have cut my hair by now without it. Or damaged it because I have no patience with all the other detangling techniques. TT needs 1 min max to detangle my hair, widetooth comb takes 20 minutes and fingercombing 30+ minutes. So it's obvious why I love it :)

Nev
March 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
well now I want a TT! :)

lapushka
March 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
You might want to take a look at these too, for reviews' sake:

On wet hair...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ez7ciiZtQ0&feature=plcp&context=C4524231VDvjVQa1PpcFPaIY3QVQ30w19s0B53KgrW v3WIEraD_cM%3D
On dry hair...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-O7GY_VNns

DancingQueen
March 26th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Nogo for me - it breaks my hair :( But it seems to work great for other people, though :)

afu
March 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Does anyone find that they are difficult to use/hold? im considering buying one but they seem an odd shape and quite large, im used to brushes with handles, especially for cold blowing my fringe into shape after washing

Littlewing13
March 30th, 2012, 05:49 PM
As far as brushes go I like my TT. The BBB really didn't work for me & since I've gone vegan I wouldnt get one anyways.

I don't like TT on wet hair though. doesn't do a whole lot. I use a mason pearson seamless comb post shower.

fridgee
March 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Afu,it sounds like it might be very helpful idea for people who need extra help massaging the gunk out of their hair when they CO. The TT feels so amazing on the scalp:D

I had never thought of it (only just got one and was a finger comber only for years before that) until you mentioned it! So I tried it and I like it! It felt really nice and I even think my hair/scalp felt cleaner and for longer after! :cheese: thanks for the idea!

afu
March 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
You might want to take a look at these too, for reviews' sake:

On wet hair...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ez7ciiZtQ0&feature=plcp&context=C4524231VDvjVQa1PpcFPaIY3QVQ30w19s0B53KgrW v3WIEraD_cM%3D
On dry hair...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-O7GY_VNns

The tip about taking the back off was very helpful, i was scared it may be too big for me to hold as i only have little hands! Just ordered an orange one off amazon so looking forward to trying it out :)

JellyBene
March 30th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I recently bought a tangle teezer and I LOVE it! It has made the least damage of any brush I have ever used and my hair is super delicate (although very healthy). The tangle teezer is very gentle and detangles quite well. I even use it on damp hair which i would have never done with any other brush. I highly reccomend it

spookyghost
March 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I bought one and I didnt like it. I have fine hair that really doesnt tangle that much but I bought it because I thought that it was the best brush to use on my hair. Most people love it so I do believe it works just not on me:D I think it didnt work on me because my hair is damaged. I was really disappointed it didnt work too!

Monkey962
March 30th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I think you can't compare a TT with a BBB. BBB are for polishing, while combs, TT, and fingers are for combing. I'm sure you could do fine with both. :)

This. BBBs are NOT for detangling. They will likely cause damage if you use them as such.

Long_hair_bear
March 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I LOVE my purple glitter TT! I fingercomb the big knots (when there is any) and use my TT for the small ones. I can't vouch for it on wet hair because I never comb my hair when its wet; last time I tried, it got "wrath of a thousand fiery red suns" angry.

afu
March 31st, 2012, 02:57 AM
I had never thought of it (only just got one and was a finger comber only for years before that) until you mentioned it! So I tried it and I like it! It felt really nice and I even think my hair/scalp felt cleaner and for longer after! :cheese: thanks for the idea!

:) yay. I can't wait for mine to arrive so i can test it out

janeytilllie
March 31st, 2012, 03:48 AM
My hair is very prone to breakage and damage.
The TT saved my hair.
My hair is looking so much better than it did. I recommend the TT :thumbsup:

Lissandria
March 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM
I cannot recommend the TT enough. It is a wonderful invention, I will never look back. I try and convert everyone (that is people IRL who have an interest in hair and when it comes up I mention the TT) so far, I have converted at least two friends, Mum and my sister.

afu
March 31st, 2012, 02:33 PM
so after worrying about the standard TT being too big for me to use comfortably (i have such tiny hands!) i ended up cancelling my order with amazon and ordering a compact version instead (in pink and black) as reviews said they are small enough for kids to use (also i do a lot of distance travelling back and forth from uni to SO so makes sense)! Does anyone have the compact? or can anyone offer any comparison between the two versions?

Mithgarthsormr
March 31st, 2012, 03:11 PM
I lose more hair when using the Tangle Teezer. It's better to use various horn combs or a soft BBB.

Maelyssa
March 31st, 2012, 03:13 PM
We have the Tangle Teaser here at my house but even though it does well to get the tangles out my daughters have all but stopped using it because it doesn't really have a handle and they find it hard to use without one.

afu
April 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
receieved my tangle teezer yesterday (the compact version in gold and black), i am so happy with it :) glides through damp hair so easily. i've been using it to detangle after towel drying and then just finger combing if needed when dry. My mum and 3 sisters were so impressed they all went out and bought them! My sister bought the regular sized one, and i have to say i'm glad i went for the compact version as it fits much better into my hand. Very happy LHC'er

Carissamarie08
April 6th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I'm debating on of I would like to purchase this now, and if it's a necessity.... Hmmm.

pepperminttea
April 6th, 2012, 05:06 AM
The Tangle Teezer did nothing for me. :shrug: I tried it, twice, hoping I'd have the great results everyone else seems to get, with no luck. Thankfully they work great for my mother's hair (a long pixie cut), so she's inherited both of mine. It only brushed the surface of my hair, the tangles just ended up underneath the canopy, even when I sectioned it a lot first. Static increased a lot too, and a bit of breakage, even using it gently. It wasn't any different to any other plastic short-tined brush I'd tried.

Personally I'm all about patient finger-combing. It takes longer, but that pays off in the huge reduction I've had in detangling damage and static. As long as your hands are smooth and clean, you're good to go, and no tangles escape tines this long! :)