PDA

View Full Version : Failed experiment with Amla

rock007junkie
March 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Today I mixed up some Amla but because I wanted the application to be smoother I mixed it up with some Shea Moisture Purification Mask. What a mess!!!! The whole thing looked like curded milk. I applied it anyone but the whole thing kept dripping so I left it on only for like an hour or so. It was mess to rinse out because the conditioner stuck to my hair. My hair also ended up being drier than usual.

I wonder though if this is a typical reaction of mixing amla with coditioner or if this reaction happened because of this particular conditioner.

nobeltonya
March 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I've mixed it with coconut oil and it worked well...

Bethmc
March 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Yesterday I mixed cassia with yogurt! I heard that yogurt was moisturizing for your hair. My hair came out very soft and shiny. I also have amla and brahmi powder and plan on mixing them with yogurt also. I used full fat plain yogurt. I also heard you can add some essential oils and carrier oils like jojoba, avocado, coconut, etc.

rock007junkie
March 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I'm just wondering why the whole thing turned intio like spoiled milk/ cheese. Thanks for the suggestions though

cheetahfast
March 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I think it might have been your particular conditioner. I mixed it up for a gloss before and it was fine. I don't really like it though since I saw no color change. I guess it did bring back my curls :shrug:.

Hollyfire3
March 25th, 2012, 03:34 PM
How well does Amla work for those who have tried it? I am really considering it....also, i DID read that amla+conditioner is not good

ratgirldjh
March 25th, 2012, 03:39 PM
This reminds me of what happened with I mixed fenugreek powder and bentonite clay! It curdled and I went ahead and put it in my hair! I like to never got it out and had to resort to using my bf's suave Tropical Coconut conditioner which my hair usually hates!

The plus side is after I got it out my hair looked great! lol

I've used amla in the past alone mixed with water for a hair wash. It cleans pretty well but if I left it on longer than a few minutes I found it left my ends dry and my hair felt 'doll like'. I tried using it to take out a heavy oiling and it totally failed even applied multiple times and left for a long time. But it is not meant for removing heavy oilings.

I also used it mixed with shikakai and it worked well at removing oilings. But I eventually became sensitive to shikakai :(

However when I finally got the VCO out which had been soaked with the amla paste several times - my hair was super soft!

So I think the best use of amla is to mix it with VCO and use the mixture on hair and then remove it with something else.

Amla also makes a wonderful face mask or scrub just mixed with water. It will tighten skin and take off the top layer of your skin - your skin will be red when you take it off especially if you let it dry first. But when the redness goes away you have tighter very bright firm skin.

Lately I've been using an auryvedic herbal clay to wash my hair and face and the first ingredient is amla and it works well. But I've never left it on my hair for longer than it takes to use it as a wash.

Caitpenn
March 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM
The process is kinda like making mayonnaise. You're essentially making an emulsion, but w/ conditioner instead... it's still oil and water and protein you're trying to mix together essentially. You need to slowly mix in the amla while stirring like a madwoman. Don't add anymore amla until the stuff you just added is fully mixed in. That should help you get it all mixed together and prevent the curdled look. What's happening w/ the odd look you got is the conditioner and amla weren't mixing together and stayed separate.

rock007junkie
March 25th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I will not be doing this again. I've done amla by itself and the results were great. Shea Moisture purification mask: also great. The two together? Not so good. I'll either do one or the other.

Hollyfire3
March 25th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I will not be doing this again. I've done amla by itself and the results were great. Shea Moisture purification mask: also great. The two together? Not so good. I'll either do one or the other.

What did amla do for you the first time?

rock007junkie
March 25th, 2012, 04:50 PM
What did amla do for you the first time?

Amla by itself is great. Makes my hair really shiny. It feels very strong. It also adds a lot of volume and tightens your curl pattern. I've alos found that my hair sheds less when I do these treatments