PDA

View Full Version : Hair vitamin question

Geneva99
March 24th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hi Everyone:

Newbie here. I hope this is the right area to post my ?. I had been looking for a good hair vitamin to help fortify and grow my hair . I went to the store and only found the Applied Nutrition longer stronger hair & nails. I'm wondering if any of you have used this and if so has it worked for you? I was looking for another brand that I researched and apparently works, but I couldn't find at the store.

Right now my shortest layer is APL, and my longest is waist. But I want to get to hip length and have it be strong and healthy. It's a tall order with all that my hair has gone through, but I keep hope alive.

Thanks in advance! :)

sfgirl
March 24th, 2012, 09:54 PM
A good multivitamin usually does the trick.
I take hair skin and nails vitmains, but basically they're just as good as a multi vitamin.
MSM also lengthens the phase of hair that keeps growing (meaning you shed less), and fish and flax oil I heard are good for hair. Some people take biotin too, though this can cause acne.
Protein is always a plus too since that's what your hair is made of!

Sorry I haven't tried that brand. I haven't heard of it. I don't really pay attention to vitamin brands :/

Geneva99
March 24th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks! :):):)

I have MSM powder that I used to mix into green smoothies, it's about the only way I could handle it. But I wasn't aware that it lengthened the anagen phase, that's pretty cool.

cheetahfast
March 25th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Some people take biotin, however it can cause really bad acne, so it might not work for you.
I don't take vitamins personally, and don't plan on it, but I think most brands made for hair and nail growth are actually very similar. It's actually usually like a regular muilt with biotin in it too, maybe with higher doses of each vitamin though.

sashinka22
March 25th, 2012, 06:41 AM
the things most people take are biotin, MSM, multivitamins for skin hair and nails, silica, flaxseed oil, b complexes, iron if needed, zinc, and the list go on.... i would go with biotin, msm, and a nice multivitamin that has everything in it if you dont have any specific lack of something. it's recommended to do blood test to know that before you take anything.
[recently bumped into maxi-hair by country life vitamins and i really like the ingredients, i think it has everything in it and it's cheap, so ordered it, check it out, you can order it online on iherb, vitacost and such sites, also there are many good reviews about it]

rock007junkie
March 25th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Try Maxihair. It gas all the important hair goodies plus MSM

sashinka22
March 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Try Maxihair. It gas all the important hair goodies plus MSM
do you take it ?

rock007junkie
March 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
do you take it ?

I do. It has worked really well for me plus it is WAy cheaper than the other advertised "Hair" pills

catamonica
March 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I used original mane & tail horse shampoo from wall mart. My hair grew fourteen inches. I added one or two capfuls of olive oil. That might have helped. Also I have been wearing my hair in a bun since last November. My hair hair went from one inch past waist to hip. Buns
promte growth. Biotin works for some. But it did not grow my hair. I hope this helps.

PolarCathy
March 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I used original mane & tail horse shampoo from wall mart. My hair grew fourteen inches. I added one or two capfuls of olive oil. That might have helped. Also I have been wearing my hair in a bun since last November. My hair hair went from one inch past waist to hip. Buns
promte growth. Biotin works for some. But it did not grow my hair. I hope this helps.

-- in how much time?

catamonica
March 27th, 2012, 11:21 AM
In 2009 my hair went from Just past midback to one inch past waist. I think it took about six months. But add olive oil. I think it promtes growth.

zombi
March 31st, 2012, 03:33 PM
recently bumped into maxi-hair by country life vitamins and i really like the ingredients, i think it has everything in it and it's cheap, so ordered it, check it out, you can order it online on iherb, vitacost and such sites, also there are many good reviews about it
Hey, thanks!! I was poking around looking for a hair supplement to start taking to maybe increase some health and thickness. I found this cheaply, too, so I ordered it. It will be interesting to see how it works.

You're right -- the ingredients look good: biotin, MSM, and horsetail herb extract with a full complement of B-complex vitamins, vitamins A, C, and E. It's also gluten free, yay.

Kristin
March 31st, 2012, 04:29 PM
Yep, I take the Maxi-Hair vitamins (when I remember), too. Good stuff.

sashinka22
March 31st, 2012, 06:37 PM
great! you all give me motivation to start take these huge, stinky pills.

and i'm not the pills person..AT ALL. it took me years to manage to swallaw them, so it better be for a very good reason :) and healthy hair is one.
i actually thought about covering it with another capsule but it is too big even for the biggest empty capsule i have!!!

i really like the fact that it has everything, and at a very reasonable price!

i can do it! [ :puke: ]

PolarCathy
March 31st, 2012, 11:50 PM
In 2009 my hair went from Just past midback to one inch past waist. I think it took about six months. But add olive oil. I think it promtes growth.

I used original mane & tail horse shampoo from wall mart. My hair grew fourteen inches.(...)

I meant, you hair grew 14 inches in how many months?

You wrote three different things; 14 inches, then from midback to 1 inch past waist, then from one inch past waist to hip+, none of which seems to be 14 inches. Please ;) Thanks again!

Also, you added one cup of oil to how much shampoo? It's sold in different sizes.

Covet
April 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM
Can't wait to try these maxi-hair vitamins, they sound good!

krisbb
April 1st, 2012, 07:52 AM
Some people take biotin, however it can cause really bad acne, so it might not work for you.
I don't take vitamins personally, and don't plan on it, but I think most brands made for hair and nail growth are actually very similar. It's actually usually like a regular muilt with biotin in it too, maybe with higher doses of each vitamin though.

Omg biotin causes acne? and here I was thinking i was going through a second puberty >.<

PixxieStix
April 1st, 2012, 10:20 AM
I eat a very well balanced diet and take two of the hair skin and nails supplement pill every other day (WAAAAY too much biotin in those!), along with a calcium +D and fish oil every day, and there has been no increase in my hair growth rate. My hair at the roots is very healthy, but I would attribute that more to LHC care methods than a vitamin pill. I am looking at switching to a regular multi-vitamin though since I suffer from acne, and while I don't think the biotin increased the problem at all, I'm sure it isn't helping. =/

catamonica
April 11th, 2012, 12:20 AM
It was in 2009-2010 that it grew 14 inches. It stopped growing after 14 inches. For two
years. I add two capfuls of olive oil to a big bottle of horse shampoo.. From Wall Mart. It
only comes In a one size bottle. Because I started wearing it in a bun from November to
March 2012, it grew 4 inches from past waist to hip. I know it grew because I wore it up.
Go to a web site called Blessed Mommy. On her site she says on her blog that buns promte
growth. Her picture shows her hair to her knees. And she hasnt cut it in twenty years.

PolarCathy
April 11th, 2012, 12:24 AM
It was in 2009-2010 that it grew 14 inches. It stopped growing after 14 inches. For two
years. I add two capfuls of olive oil to a big bottle of horse shampoo.. From Wall Mart. It
only comes In a one size bottle. Because I started wearing it in a bun from November to
March 2012, it grew 4 inches from past waist to hip. I know it grew because I wore it up.
Go to a web site called Blessed Mommy. On her site she says on her blog that buns promte
growth. Her picture shows her hair to her knees. And she hasnt cut it in twenty years.

Thanks for the details. I'm not in the US and the bottle I can get from the UK (the closest) is 12 oz (adding two cups of oil to that would be a little too much so I had to double-check)