PDA

View Full Version : 2 quick questions...

Andrew
July 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Can my long hair be somewhat naturally oily on its own?

Is it normal to loose lots of hair when showering and combing?

Pegasus Marsters
July 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I don't really understand your first question... but to answer the second. Yes. You shed hair every day, on average around 100. When you wash your hair or comb it you move it around and it knocks free shed hairs that would otherwise stay caught up in the other hair. Totally natural.

Gumball
July 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
People have different hair types as well as different scalp types. If you have a predisposition for one reason or another to have an oily scalp then that's likely to show up in your hair. For your second question it's perfectly normal to lose 50+ hairs a day. People tend to have a pretty good amount of hair on their head so what sometimes can seem like a lot can often be negligible. Also the longer your hair gets the bigger the wad coming out when you shed. It won't necessarily be more quantity then though. Just longer hairs.

FrannyG
July 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Also the longer your hair gets the bigger the wad coming out when you shed. It won't necessarily be more quantity then though. Just longer hairs.

I think this is the hardest thing for a newly long-haired person to get used to. I can remember thinking that I had shed a ton of hair after combing, when my hair was just about at waist length, but when I counted them out, it was only 10 hairs. :oops:

Tap Dancer
July 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Can my long hair be somewhat naturally oily on its own?

Is it normal to loose lots of hair when showering and combing?

Oil comes from the scalp and not the length.

I lose tons of hair in the shower and from combing and brushing. My thickness hasn't seemed to change, though, so I don't worry.

podo
July 24th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I think this is the hardest thing for a newly long-haired person to get used to. I can remember thinking that I had shed a ton of hair after combing, when my hair was just about at waist length, but when I counted them out, it was only 10 hairs. :oops:

That's a good idea. I'm a little worried at the amount of hair that I'm shedding, but I hadn't though of the length contributing to the volume. I'll definitely untangle and count them out!

Kirin
July 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Definately the length/shed factor comes into play. My husband used to get all sorts of aggrivated with my long hairs in the drain, thinking i was going bald. he never had hairs in the drain, but now that HE is growing his hair, is dark brown hair is -everywhere-. Its the same shed, just more that can be seen.

Curlsgirl
July 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
About the shedding also it will seem like more the less often you wash and/or condition your hair and also depending on the the time of year sometimes. I am having an unusual time of year shedding and hoping it's normal too. I still get a little freaked out sometimes about it when it seems to be a bit more than usual. I think most of us do.