PDA

View Full Version : The complete opposite of what's recommended..

nobeltonya
March 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Does your hair like anything that is like the complete opposite of what's recommended? My hair likes hot water, combing wet, nightly oiling and daily washing.. I hadn't noticed until recently that my hair is actually quite coarse.. I always thought it was normal and was just frizzy and dry.. but once I started regularly oiling it [I was horrible at keeping up with it before] and using conditioners, it seems to have calmed down a lot. :cheese:

Amber_Maiden
March 24th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I've never heard of anyone, besides myself, icing their hair with up to 2 tablespoons of oil a day... but I do, and my hair LOVES it!

Congrats on finding something your hair likes BTW!

nobeltonya
March 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I've never heard of anyone, besides myself, icing their hair with up to 2 tablespoons of oil a day... but I do, and my hair LOVES it!

Thanks! Yeah, it took a good 1.5 years of experimenting and actually paying attention to what I was purposely doing with my hair before I finally settled into a routine and found what it likes. :D Before that, I was horrible with my hair... rough brushing, shampooing w/o conditioner or oil, leaving the shampoo on for like 10 minutes [WOW]..

jojo
March 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Your hairs quite coarse so you can get away with so much more than I can with my baby fine hair. My hair does like oil and unusually or so ive read my hair loves protein, fine hairs only normally need a little and I also upped the temp of my water and it does kind of like it!

janeytilllie
March 24th, 2012, 08:57 AM

I do! :D
My hair loves being saturated in coconut oil and within a couple of hours it's soaks up. It leaves my hair with a nice glossy finish.

Things my hair love that's opposite of what's recommended are

1. My hair is very wavy with slight curls and loves being brushed, it hates combs.

2. My hair loves sls, cones and cheap products yay!

3. Being over oiled after washing on dry hair. A tiny amount doesn't do anything for me.

4. I never braid. My hair turns to fuzzy mess if I do.

5. I drink pop, eat chocolate, and eat lots of naugty things and less good things eg fruit.
I've stopped taking supplements and my hair is growing faster than it has in years :lol:

6. I wash 2x a week my hair hates not being washed. If I go a week without washing my hair is dry, frizzy and my scalp breaks out. The more I wash the happier it is.

7. I brush wet hair

Cool thread :)

pepperminttea
March 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM

I'm so envious - more than 3 drops of a light oil and my hair looks stringy. I want to feed it more goodies! :p

Mairéad
March 24th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I comb while wet. Not sopping about of those wet, but usually after I've towel blotted and put in some sort of leave it product. Also, I wet my hairs most days even if I'm not washing it. Something about not wetting my hair makes it feel so rough.

YewneekDoll
March 24th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I comb my hair (gently!) as i'm shampooing. If i don't it feels like the tangles are much harder to get out afterwards. Also i don't use conditioner, just oils. Conditioner makes my hair feel like.... a used then dried dishcloth. Residue-y and dry.

patienceneeded
March 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM
My hair LOVES cones. Cones, cones, cones. I comb while wet (not brush). I sleep with wet hair. Vitamins and supplements seem to make no difference. CO wash, ok. CWC, ok. Shampoo/Condition in the "normal" way, ok. Shampoo Bars, ok. Mineral Oil, Love. I wash every-other day and I like it. I do what works well for my hair, regardless of the "proper" long hair care. If my hair is happy, it will grow. Right?

spidermom
March 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Hot water; really? The rest sounds fine.
I guess hot is relative. My husband's warm is my hot.

Carolyn
March 24th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Great thread! One of my favorite lines is "stretching washes isn't all that it's cracked up to be here at LHC". I wish I had a dime for every time I've written that in a forum post or a blog post.

What do I do that LHC tells me not to do?

1. I wash about every other day and use a sulfate shampoo almost all the time.

2. I turban my wet hair up in a cotton terry towel.

3. I comb when wet. I can't even imagine letting it dry before combing it out.

4. Most nights I sleep with my hair loose.

5. I'm back to occasionally using hair spray.

6. And I'm back to using a blow dryer and other heat appliances a couple times a week.

So sue me. I'm having more fun with my hair than I've had in years :p

maborosi
March 24th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I actually use a ton of oil when I oil my hair. I mean I saturate it.

Then, I leave it in for a long time.

My hair seems to like the occasional drowning in oil.

Also, daily washing with shampoo doesn't seem to adversely affect it, though some people on here apparently can't do it. I can stretch my washes, but I can also wash daily nbd.

~maborosi~

MinderMutsig
March 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Congrats on finding something your hair likes BTW! Hi there, nice to meet you!

Even though my hair is fine it slurps up oil like there is no tomorrow. I read about people with classic length hair who use a fingernail worth of coconut oil and that that's enough. On my BSL fine hair on the other hand, I can use a tablespoon easily and you wouldn't even know I put something in there. If I do a heavy pre-wash overnight oiling, I put in literally a handful of coconut oil and by morning it's all gone. I wouldn't even need to wash it if I didn't want to for whatever reason.

luxepiggy
March 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Oh yes, definitely. I CO-wash with 'cones and I never clarify. Sleeping with my hair loose is the best way for me to minimize breakage. My hair dryer and I remain good buddies (^(oo)^)v

ratgirldjh
March 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Well my hair hates protein which is supposed to be good for hair.

And it loves clay.

And I think it might prefer me to do catnip soaks BEFORE instead of after my wash

It only likes a tiny bit of oil really though - it has taken me years to figure this out again!

einna
March 24th, 2012, 03:45 PM
My hair likes to be slathered in product (ETA: Like oils and conditioner). It just seems to like having a light amount of build up. I have fluffy, dry hair, though.

jacqueline101
March 24th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I do warm water and my hair likes the simple life I found out. Up all the time down to comb and back up. I do my monistat and its weekly wash routine. Its happy being left alone. Oil daily forgot that.

lapushka
March 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I didn't give up my blowdryer (I do, however, use it on low heat). So there. :p

Zesty
March 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Head and Shoulders is my shampoo. Lol. It has sulfates AND some cones, if I recall, but I shed less and my scalp feels better than it did when I CO'd or used sulfate-free shampoos and stuff like that. I also comb wet (after blotting), because it helps it dry faster and is easier than trying to comb when it's partly dried.

swearnsue
March 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I do warm water and my hair likes the simple life I found out. Up all the time down to comb and back up. I do my monistat and its weekly wash routine. Its happy being left alone. Oil daily forgot that.

jacqueline101- my hair likes the simple life! Well said, my hair is the same I think.

cwarren
March 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
1) Use heat to make my hair more manageable

2) Comb hair while its wet (wouldn't be able to comb it otherwise)

3) Use conditioners with cones :)

Hollyfire3
March 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
My hair likes mousse, it just has more bounce with it, it is heavy without it. I use anywhere from 3-5 palmfulls which sounds like alot but it doesn't dry my hair out at all. My hair hates clarifying, sure it gets everything off, but it takes ALL the curl out.....weird.....

PrincessIdril
March 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I use sulphate shampoo twice a week (my scalp loves it and my hair doesn't seem that bothered), I also use cheap conditioner and my leave-in conditioner (which I only use when I use the hair-dryer) has silicone in.
I also wet comb (my hair would be such a mess if I didn't) and use quite hot water when I wash my hair (I refuse to suffer a cold shower just because my hair might like it! :D) oh I also have cotten pillowcases...

DancingQueen
March 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I wash my hair every 3 days with cones and sulfates. I shampoo twice, and conditions once. My hair likes warm water, it turns into a frizz-bomb when I use cold water. I shed like crazy when I use oils. My hair grows incredibly slow. The list could go on :)

turtlelover
March 24th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I detangle my hair w/ a pin brush. My hair HATES combs, and breaks much more w/ a comb.

mzBANGBANG
March 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Coney serum. My hair loves it more than oil. I've been missing it.

My hair loves being blown straight (or maybe I love it). I use a brush to straighten it while drying, and it feels amazing after. Definitely not burnt to a crisp like when I used to use a straightener.

And my hair is super iffy on water-only. I just completed week 2, and I never had a slicked back oily seal transition. Mostly... just wax. Lots of wax that does not want to go away.

Yame
March 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I realized my hair doesn't do so well with oiling. It sheds a lot more and then looks limp even after I wash it.
None of the hair growth or shedding reduction tricks I've found here worked for me.
My hair also didn't "like" cone-free conditioners, and doesn't need to be detangled often. It's "indifferent" to BBBs. I have no issues about combing or brushing it when it's wet.

It's close to a year since I joined LHC and I've found that I'm back to doing almost the same things I was already doing before I joined. I've gotten some good tips here but most of the LHC basics seem not to do much for my hair...

The major changes I've made since joining were stretching my washes to just once a week and wearing my hair up in buns on most days. Stretching washes did wonders for my hair but I haven't seen much of a difference in its condition from wearing it up, though I don't intend on changing that because it's pretty convenient to have it out of the way.

AlannaMaria
March 24th, 2012, 09:45 PM
After stretching washes to a week, I've found that I simply prefer washing every couple days/every other day. Works for me, and my hair seems to like it better as well.

Heatherzilla
March 24th, 2012, 10:01 PM
My hair can go days without seeing a comb or a brush.

Dragon Faery
March 25th, 2012, 12:20 AM
My hair prefers being fingercombed when wet and full of conditioner. And no other tools, EVER.

My scalp wants oil by the handful every night, and a wash every 3-4 days. (Otherwise it's dandruff and oil and ickies and itchies.)

My length likes a good bit of oil every night, too.

Not as odd as some, perhaps, but not entirely Kosher, either. ;)

xoxophelia
March 25th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Hi there, nice to meet you!

Even though my hair is fine it slurps up oil like there is no tomorrow. I read about people with classic length hair who use a fingernail worth of coconut oil and that that's enough. On my BSL fine hair on the other hand, I can use a tablespoon easily and you wouldn't even know I put something in there. If I do a heavy pre-wash overnight oiling, I put in literally a handful of coconut oil and by morning it's all gone. I wouldn't even need to wash it if I didn't want to for whatever reason.

What on earth? It is all gone? I will never understand how so many people on LHC say that the oil in their hair disappears but I would like to see this in action. My hair must not absorb very much oil because if I apply it, my hair will still look every bit as oily two days later.

I'm not sure if that is a good sign or a bad sign :/

The non-LHC things I do:
-I don't do much S&D at all
-I like the wind in my hair

Astrophil
March 25th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I tried CO for a while but I don't like the extra shedding that seems to go along with it. CWC works well, and I never would have thought of it without LHC. I went cone-free for a few months after joining the site, but I like the silky softness that coney conditioners provide.

I CWC every other day with hot water, comb wet (always have and always will), blowdry with low heat in winter (way too cold for air drying!) or when I need to go somewhere, sleep with loose hair (on a flannel pillowcase of all things!)...

I love LHC for hairstyle ideas, thick hair help, henna recipes, and hair toy recommendations, but as for daily care I'm sticking with what I've done for decades.

hototogisu
March 25th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Lately I've been wearing my hair down when I go out to get some sun in it, in the hopes that it'll help me get back to my natural blonde. This doesnt sound like such a big deal, but my hair is very, VERY fine and thin and will whip into snappy, awful snarls at the slightest hint of wind.

Oh, who am I kidding. I try to be good but I LOVE wearing my hair down.

I wash every other day with sulphate shampoo and coney conditioners, I use a plastic shower comb to comb through condish, and lately I've been scrunching and plopping with loads of products to encourage my very weak waves. I envy you ladies with thick, rich, thirsty hair, but I have almost no hair and I've got to work with what I've got.

LadyCelestina
March 25th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Oh wow ! :-D The oil discussion got me like :bigeyes: and really curious what will happen if I start oiling my hair on a daily basis again!

My hair likes pool water.I don't know why,but whenever I go swimming,my hair just gets nice and shiny and soft when it dries.Sadly,the next day it's a rats nest.

kidari
March 25th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I wash daily, use sulfate shampoos a lot, comb while wet, I sometimes tease, I use hairspray/mousse/etc. that may have alcohols and all that other bad stuff in it from time to time, I use chemical dyes all the time (every four weeks), I use mostly cones, I cut/trim my hair often even though I plan on growing longer

melusine963
March 25th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I brush my hair wet with my ball-ended brush.

Clem_Dela
March 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM
i'd like to repeat the recurring theme of wet brushing/combing; really, if we're heat free, what else can we do? And if you're gentle it doesn't seem to do any harm at all.

I also straighten once in a blue moon just to see how long it can be; i blow dry my bangs most mornings (with cold air..); and VERY rarely blow dry all my hair (again, with cold air)

Not everyone is extreme enough to be against hair ties but I can see the damage they cause. however i feel trapped by them sometimes... how else do I "Pony up"? :D

rena
March 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I'm a combing curly! In fact, I *need* to use a finetoothed comb when my hair is wet (with a touch of conditioner in it of course), otherwise my hair just doesn't dry right. And I can comb it dry too.

holothuroidea
March 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Daily washing.

I get scalp acne if my scalp doesn't get soaped up. Boo.

Charlotte:)
March 26th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Let's just say I wouldn't be able to grow my hair out if it were not for sulfates and cones... :twisted: Oh, and I also brush while it's wet, because if I don't it will be tangly, frizzy, and unmanageable when it dries.

Safira
March 27th, 2012, 12:03 AM
My hair loves sulphates, maybe it´s because now my hair gets build-up easily.
I wash every other day, and my hair seems to like it.
I comb wet hair.

Chetanlaiho
March 27th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Hot water; really? The rest sounds fine.
I guess hot is relative. My husband's warm is my hot.

DBF's normal is my burning hot, my normal is his ice cold xD

magicatt
March 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I do several things that aren't as prescribed.

I wash my hair every day. If I don't, it gets very oily and my scalp gets itchy and it will have horrible acne by the end of a day or two. I tried to stretch my washes but the skin issues just weren't worth it.

I use cones but not sulphates (only because I'm allergic to sulphates). My hair demands protein and I use a shampoo and conditioner with protein every day. I never clarify but I do rotate shampoos and conditioners (to give my hair different protein sources and different oils) which seems to keep everything in balance. I put a dash of sugar in my shampoo for a daily sugar scrub. It makes my scalp so happy. I use warm water to wash (until this thread, I had no idea this was even an issue!)

I comb my hair wet and brush it damp. I brush my hair often. If I don't, my hair becomes weird and tangley. I can't use a comb on dry hair ever--it just breaks no matter how gentle I am.

I have very fine hair that generally hates oil applied directly and will become an oil slick no matter how little I use but will become silky and smooth for avocado butter. I put avocado butter on the length after washing and on the ends at bedtime. My hair feels like silk.

I figure if it works, then keep doing it.