PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil, Cream or Milk users

SapphiraSilver
March 24th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hey everyone.

This thread is for anyone who uses Coconut Oil, Coconut Cream, or Coconut Milk in their hair. I have decided to try these things myself, and am rather new to it, so I would absolutely love to hear all your methods and experiences with it.

Please let me know how you use it, if you mix it, how long you leave it on, you routine, how much of it you use, wet hair or dry hair, as a leave in? as a treatment? any tips, let us know if its helped, before and after results would be awesome to hear about, or see if anyone has any photos to share of it.

Thank you for reading, I hope to have success with it when I properly start experimenting with it, my reasons for wanting to use it, is dryness. My hair is abused by heat and bleach, and I want to help improve the dryness and texture by using it. I also want to add some strength, as it breaks easy.

I am sure that if anyone replies here, your opinions, advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
- Sapphira.

jaquelines
March 24th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I have been using coconut oil so far. I will start next weel with milk. I put it on dry hair ( although I was asking my self if it is not better to wet the hair before, as for ex oils on skin must be applied on damp skin in order to penetrate the skin and not just remain on the outside ) , cover with a plastic bag, use the blowdryer as mentioned by ktani over 5 min, leave it over night, than half hour before washing I apply conditioner than wash with indian herbs, than condition.
I just did this by the way yesterday, my hair is supersoft. I have been using this methode in over a year now. Never had problems washing it out. Always leave over the night and that`s it for me.
I know, it can build up, but I wash my hair anyway once every month with shampoo (even though without SLS, as I do not use cones).
I do not mix it with anything, I use pure virgin coconut oil, melt over a pan and than gently massage.

I hope you have succes.
From what I have read on LHC a lot of people had troubles getting it out of the hair, of course it depends on how your hair works. But also a bit depends on how you are washing it out.
Conditioner before shampooing definitely helps, and since I do indian herb washes, this helps too.

P.S. I looked over your photos in the past. You hair is ... like a snow princess. So beautiful. Take good care of it !

hototogisu
March 24th, 2012, 05:53 AM
When I was dyeing my hair I'd heavily, heavily coconut oil my dry, unwashed hair for a few hours or overnight before application. I can't tell you how much it helped with damage.

I mostly use coconut oil now as a styling product to control flyaways, and before BBBing. I much prefer a coconut oil blend. I use a mixture of olive, coconut and castor oil, and mix by blending the solid, unmelted coconut oil with the liquid oils using a stick blender with blade attachment. It makes a super light, fluffy cream, and the liquid oil doesn't separate from the coconut oil.

I actually prefer coconut milk for deep treatments now. I've been mixing it with honey as an alternative to distilled water in the honey lightening treatment and getting great results. It still lightens my hair, but doesn't drip as much and leaves my hair feeling wonderful. I combine 25ml honey with 100ml well-shaken coconut milk and 1 tbsp olive oil in a squeezy applicator bottle, let sit for an hour, then drench my dry, unwashed hair and let it process for an hour under a bag before S&Cing. Works great!

Desdesdes
March 24th, 2012, 06:03 AM
When I was dyeing my hair I'd heavily, heavily coconut oil my dry, unwashed hair for a few hours or overnight before application. I can't tell you how much it helped with damage.

Sorry to derail a bit - but did you rinse the oil out before commencing to dye? My daughter has some damage from coloring, and this sounds like a great tip.

SapphiraSilver
March 24th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Wow thanks for your replies, a few questions...

hototogisu: About putting it on before dying, I really want to try this when I am bleaching my roots, but I worry that the coconut oil that in the hair, will mix with the bleach when I apply it and cause some kind of weird reaction, or not work as well, how does it work for you? Also, I have tried honey mixed with a simple conditioner, and I did not see any results with the hair, no improvement. I would like to know if you heat up the honey or not? how do you best lighten your hair with honey?

jaquelines: I tried Coconut Cream, and after an hour on my head it hardened pretty bad, I wonder, when you leave the oil overnight, does it harden by the morning? Let us know how to Coconut Milk treatments go! would love to know.

Does anyone use any leave in conditioners or heat protectors after the treatment?

Thank you :)

Long_hair_bear
March 24th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I don't use it straight up but it's the first ingredient in my shampoo after water and my hair seems to love it! It doesn't strip my hair dry. :)

nobeltonya
March 24th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Please let me know how you use it, if you mix it, how long you leave it on, you routine, how much of it you use, wet hair or dry hair, as a leave in? as a treatment? any tips, let us know if its helped, before and after results would be awesome to hear about, or see if anyone has any photos to share of it.

Just tried coconut oil. Not milk or cream. Lately, I mix it with DV enriched olive oil. Next, I got a DV enriched coconut oil [which has castor, henna, lemon, olive oil, etc] that I haven't tried yet.. that one, I'll probably use by itself and see how it does.. I put it on every night, alternating between heavy and light oilings. I want to try oiling in the morning like an hour before washing, and once a week or so heavy oiling at night. Never tried it.. just curious. ;) I use between 0.5 and 1 oz on dry hair and comb through. Then, lazy wrap with a stick for a bit to soak in. Lately, I've been braiding it to sleep, because I can't for anything get my buns to stay now... IDK why. :P Even my spin pin buns are slipping out when oiled now. :/ My hair definitely cooperates much better when oiling regularly. I've tried to not oil for a day, and it was so dry and dull.. totally different. It seems to love it. :D And it usually soaks up most [if not all] of it through the night. My hair seems more full also, since regularly oiling [scalp massages every night probably help also].

jaquelines
March 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Wow thanks for your replies, a few questions...

hototogisu: About putting it on before dying, I really want to try this when I am bleaching my roots, but I worry that the coconut oil that in the hair, will mix with the bleach when I apply it and cause some kind of weird reaction, or not work as well, how does it work for you? Also, I have tried honey mixed with a simple conditioner, and I did not see any results with the hair, no improvement. I would like to know if you heat up the honey or not? how do you best lighten your hair with honey?

jaquelines: I tried Coconut Cream, and after an hour on my head it hardened pretty bad, I wonder, when you leave the oil overnight, does it harden by the morning? Let us know how to Coconut Milk treatments go! would love to know.

Does anyone use any leave in conditioners or heat protectors after the treatment?

Yes, it does harden sometimes in winter, but when I sleep at night, I leave my plastic cap on y head, and it keeps the heat producing by the body to stay there. I cover this with a towel. Sometimes during the night it gets off, but even if it hardens, I sometimes do a bit of blowdrying before washing it out, just to melt it back. Even when I did not had time to do this, it was never a problem to wash it out, nor did it had bad effects on my hair. Plus, according to ktani`s post, in order to penetrate the hair, 5 min heating would be enough. On top of that I let it sit on my head for the night. I guess if you follow this, you will still have the benefits, even if it hardens.

By the way, I always use LOADS of coconut oil before dying my roots, or hair. Never got in any reaction. The best thing for my hair was finding the post for protecting the hair during dying with coconut oil.

Sorry, I do not know what you mean by heat protector. But I always condition after washing my hair. I don`t need any leave ins for the first, or 2 days. But my ends especially tends to get very very dry, because my hair was over bleached. I had great results with Kimberly`s defrizz spray. Lots of people here have great results with leave in oils such as jojoba. My hair personally is too fine for that. It gets either oily, even though I have tried the smallest amount possible, or flat.
Snowy`s leave in was the only thing that gave me good results for a while, but only in a small small amount and on damp hair and not dry.

Hollyfire3
March 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Sorry to derail a bit - but did you rinse the oil out before commencing to dye? My daughter has some damage from coloring, and this sounds like a great tip.

If you are only dyeing the roots, do you still need to do this?

patienceneeded
March 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I really like to pour a can (or 2) of coconut milk in the bathtub during a bath. It's great for skin and hair! You can add a drop or two of essential oils to make a light fragrance. It's lovely.

I sometimes use coconut oil as a pre-treatment when washing my hair, I don't know that it is really "doing" anything but it seems to at least keep the ends from drying out when I shampoo. It hasn't hurt anything. I don't wear coconut oil as a leave-in, I find it too heavy/greasy. Plus, it hardens when cold and it is COLD out.

MegaMystery
March 24th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I have some coconut cream that i keep in the fridge, but i still haven't used it on my hair. Today i heated a little bit of it up in the microwave to see what the consistency would be like and it's very creamy, but a little gritty. In the fridge it's solid. Anyone have any idea as to why it's gritty when i heat it up? Is it just pieces of coconut still in there or what? I want to use it as a pre-wash treatment but i worry that i might not be able to rinse it out properly if it's gritty..

Diamond.Eyes
March 24th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I use virgin coconut oil on my ends daily. It makes them soft, manageable, and moisturized. I sometimes mix a teaspoon of coconut milk as well as some coconut oil, olive oil, and honey in with with my deep conditioner. My hair is so soft and amazing afterwards. I love coconuts! :p

hototogisu
March 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Desdesdes - I didn't rinse the oil out. I started with very dirty, unwashed hair, saturated it with coconut oil, let it sit, then combed and applied the colour right over my dirty oiled hair! I used conventional box dyes, and it had no issue at all penetrating the oil.

Sapphirasilver - I don't see the bleach having any issue reacting with or penetrating the oil. I coloured my hair darker, but I used permanent conventional dyes that ultimately lift your base colour anyway. I've stopped dyeing my hair and removed the colour with dye remover, so I could show you how light my base colour is now!

The best resource for honey lightening is the honey thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148), but in response to your questions the gist of honey lightening is honey releases peroxide when mixed with water. If you heat the honey, the reaction won't work. The 'tried and tested' method is to mix one part honey to 3-4 parts distilled water, let it sit for at least an hour to release peroxide, then apply to dry hair. I used coconut milk as it's very watery and pH neutral, but still conditioning. I've noticed the same level of lightening from a coconut milk honey mask as a honey and water mask. I hope this helps!

Sillage
March 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Sapphira, because coconut oil is so comedogenic for me, I only use it as a preshampoo treatment. Too bad because my hair loved coconut oil as a leave in. I would use just enough to make my palms shiny and then pat it in to my hair and brush thru. It made my hair super glossy like a silicone serum and was great for flyaways. Now as I said, I only use it as a preshampoo treatment. I oil my hair until it looks wet-- I really like to saturate it with coconut oil-- and then I leave it on for at least an hour. I wash and condition my hair like normal. The results are softer, shinier hair. :D

SapphiraSilver
March 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Wow thanks everyone so much for your comments and advice, I am going to try everyone's hints and tips! Looking forward to it :)

kidari
March 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Every once in a while I open up a can of coconut milk and pour it into a bowl with a resealable lid. I kneel by the bathtub and dip my dry hair into it. My hair just absorbs it like crazy. I place a plastic grocery bag around it and then a microfiber turban over that to catch the drips and leave it in for an hour or so. I just wash it out like normal after that. It makes my hair soft and bouncy with lots of volume and zero frizz. One can lasts me about 2-3 uses, which is why I pour it into the bowl and keep the rest in the fridge.

SapphiraSilver
March 25th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Trying a new recipe tonight. Coconut Cream, with Coconut Oil, banana, and honey. Smells amazing I must say. Currently soaking in it. Wonder how it will feel after I wash and dry it.

EDIT: I can't say that it turned out very silky, I was hoping for something to make it silky. It looks nice, I can make it look good, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to feel nice to the touch.

Artisticat
March 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I've been using Trader Joes Coconut oil and it's really helping the condition of my hair. I love the smell too! My (last ever going to) hairdresser "texturized" my hair leaving lots of layers that the coconut oil helps smooth down. I'm not as grumpy anymore!

SapphiraSilver
March 27th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I've experimented a bit, so far the best way I have tried is to add coconut oil on dry hair, the day before washing, and washing it the next day in the morning. It's made my hair softest compared to the other ways I have tried, but I am still not getting the super soft silky, frizz free hair that I have read people have been getting with coconut oil.

pes3108
March 27th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment at least once a week. I will just take a chunk (its usually solid at room temp.) and rub it between my palms until it melts. I saturate my hair with it until it looks wet. Then I usually braid it and leave it for a few hours until wash time. If I do it over night, I will wear a sleep cap on my head because the coconut oil can cause my face to break out.... well anything causes my face to break out, so I just like to play it safe. My hair always feels so smooth after an oiling. I haven't really done any other experimenting because my dorm room isn't really conducive to mixing oils and we have a community bathroom so walking down the hall with funky stuff in my hair really isn't high on my list of things to do. Hopefully though when I graduate in May and get my own place.... I'm going to be experimenting with not only coconut oil, but other oils a lot more!!

Lisabunny
March 27th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Coconut milk fan here! Once a month I pour in a can of the stuff into my hair then use my heat cap on it. Pure heaven! :cloud9:

barely.there
March 27th, 2012, 09:54 PM
It really depends on what kind of technique you want to carry out with the coconut oil.

Coconut oil hardens at room temperature (around 20 C) and melts when it touches your skin (37 C). It makes for a fantastic hot/warm deep conditioner with its vast nutritional benefits (google them!). The most ideal way to use coconut oil in your hair (in my opinion) is to lather it all over you hair so its practically swimming in the oil. then braid/tuck it away somehow for sleeping, and wash the next day.

If you want to put a moisturizer in your hair and then go outside, make sure its a warm day for the coconut oil. If not, use olive oil or shea butter so it does not harden and look silly. I like to put a but of olive oil and mix it with water in my spray bottle - otherwise the coconut oil would harden often and wreck the sprayer.

will take a while to really address the moisture level of your hair. my hair is dry as well. an egg mask for 1 hour is also excellent (for its sulfur content) - the trick is to use cool water so the egg doesnt cook in your hair when you rinse it out. you dont need to use COLD water, just cool/not warm.

barely.there
March 27th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I have some coconut cream that i keep in the fridge, but i still haven't used it on my hair. Today i heated a little bit of it up in the microwave to see what the consistency would be like and it's very creamy, but a little gritty. In the fridge it's solid. Anyone have any idea as to why it's gritty when i heat it up? Is it just pieces of coconut still in there or what? I want to use it as a pre-wash treatment but i worry that i might not be able to rinse it out properly if it's gritty..

I know what you are talking about. It really depends on the brand you get! Usually a lesser processed oil/milk will have no chunks.

joesgirl2011
March 28th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I have bleached and dyed hair. I know what you mean by trying to get the softness or silkyness like "non" chemical heads have.

I sleep with coconut oil on. I have added it this week to my bleach..like a melted teaspoon full. I have added it to dye as as well.

I use warm/cool blow dryer as well. I have tried and tried NOT to use heat but the coloring seems to change the texture of my hair and my hair ends up being puffy.

So i CO sometimes during the week and I also have to use the "purple" shampoo sometimes too.

I blow dry with a leave in (ALWAYS). I just started using a Shea Butter leave in I got at Walmart in the Ethnic section. I also use a Glycerin and baby oil spritz while its semi damp and use a cool/warm blow dry setting and then put super light oiling of coconut oil on my hair. I used to use VO5 hairdressing as I always kept my hair light blonde so it always has damage. It's more work being chemical blonde..ugg!

I CAN'T STOP!! Ha Ha!

PS: I also use that Glycerine/Baby oil Spritz during the day here and there..I have a little spritz bottle in my purse....the Glycerine pulls moisture into your hair.

Syrena
March 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I use coconut oil on the 3rd day after the hair wash. I take a tiny bit of it and melt it in my hands. Then I rub it into my ends.
I use also coconut cream as hair mask before the hair wash every 2 weeks. I let to set it on my hair under the plastic cap for around 20-30 minutes. I have never had a problem to wash it out after :)

SapphiraSilver
March 28th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I am very curious about coconut oil in the bleach/dye. I am due to bleach in a month (though I have recently decided to try and stop bleaching for at least a but longer, to see if I can) I wonder what would happen if I bleach over the top of coconut oil on the roots. Interesting.

SapphiraSilver
March 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
By the way, thanks so much for everyone's responses and tips. I'm not giving up on Coconut oil yet :D want to keep trying to find a way for it to work.

SapphiraSilver
March 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Coconut milk fan here! Once a month I pour in a can of the stuff into my hair then use my heat cap on it. Pure heaven! :cloud9:

Really? does it soften the hair?

heidi w.
March 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM
For those that may be interested, I have created a youtube video showing how I detangle, oil, BBB and put my hair up with a hairstick (which came out a bit wonky, but I worked without a mirror.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
By the way, thanks so much for everyone's responses and tips. I'm not giving up on Coconut oil yet :D want to keep trying to find a way for it to work.

What is the problem you're having with getting Coconut Oil to work? What have you done and what happened?

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I am very curious about coconut oil in the bleach/dye. I am due to bleach in a month (though I have recently decided to try and stop bleaching for at least a but longer, to see if I can) I wonder what would happen if I bleach over the top of coconut oil on the roots. Interesting.

I wouldn't do this. I wouldn't combine oiling and dying, especially bleaching. I wouldn't use your hair as a test.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM
It really depends on what kind of technique you want to carry out with the coconut oil.

Coconut oil hardens at room temperature (around 20 C) and melts when it touches your skin (37 C). It makes for a fantastic hot/warm deep conditioner with its vast nutritional benefits (google them!). The most ideal way to use coconut oil in your hair (in my opinion) is to lather it all over you hair so its practically swimming in the oil. then braid/tuck it away somehow for sleeping, and wash the next day.

If you want to put a moisturizer in your hair and then go outside, make sure its a warm day for the coconut oil. If not, use olive oil or shea butter so it does not harden and look silly. I like to put a but of olive oil and mix it with water in my spray bottle - otherwise the coconut oil would harden often and wreck the sprayer.

will take a while to really address the moisture level of your hair. my hair is dry as well. an egg mask for 1 hour is also excellent (for its sulfur content) - the trick is to use cool water so the egg doesnt cook in your hair when you rinse it out. you dont need to use COLD water, just cool/not warm.

Those with scalp skin conditions may want to be careful applying any oil, coconut or otherwise, to scalp skin. I have a scalp skin condition and if I put anything on my scalp skin, I can absolutely expect a reaction, and a blistering spanking as well.

Just be cautious. Do a skin test patch first to ensure you won't have an allergic reaction.

heidi w.

SapphiraSilver
March 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
What is the problem you're having with getting Coconut Oil to work? What have you done and what happened?

heidi w.

I have tried mixing it with coconut cream and applying for an hour before rinsing. I have tried it with banana, honey and coconut cream. I have tried it on dry ends on its own, just coconut oil. Nothing gave me the softness or the strengthening that I was hoping for. Not the shine either, or silkiness. I guess my hair is beyond repair lol.

I got better results when I oiled it with coconut oil alone and left it overnight and washed in the morning. That seemed to have made it softer then the other methods. So I guess that's the one I will be using. I was hoping that coconut oil would make it less dry, that was the main reason for using it, as my hair is very dry. But I don't see a really big improvement in dryness.

heidi w.
March 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I have tried mixing it with coconut cream and applying for an hour before rinsing. I have tried it with banana, honey and coconut cream. I have tried it on dry ends on its own, just coconut oil. Nothing gave me the softness or the strengthening that I was hoping for. Not the shine either, or silkiness. I guess my hair is beyond repair lol.

I got better results when I oiled it with coconut oil alone and left it overnight and washed in the morning. That seemed to have made it softer then the other methods. So I guess that's the one I will be using. I was hoping that coconut oil would make it less dry, that was the main reason for using it, as my hair is very dry. But I don't see a really big improvement in dryness.

Thank you for explaining. If I hear you correctly, your goal is to have hair that is less dry. Is that all you want? I hear you want a bit more shine. But, are you coloring? I have to go back and read if that is in your plans. I can't quite recall everything from what I read yesterday afternoon.

I posted a video demonstrating how I oil my hair. I use Coconut Oil by Spectrum Naturals which is unrefined, and blended purposefully for use on skin and hair. I believe I gave a link within this thread, maybe page before this one. You might check that out.

Also, if you have curl, wave or any bend to the hair, this suggests you have "curly" hair, and hair with coil of any kind, in general, is a bit drier than other hair types and needs MORE moisture, whether from conditioner, leave in and/or oiling.

I don't know what your interest is in having softer hair, but a lot of people achieve softness in part through using a Vinegar rinse, an ACV Rinse. I don't recommend this rinse for those with light colored hair as long-term continued use can absolutely tinge the hair a reddish hue Blondes and lighter colored hair will fare better with white, distilled vinegar diluted. If one doesn't like the smell of vinegar at all, they can choose lemon or lime juice and rinse the hair in this.

A rinse is an application that is fairly quickly rinsed out of the hair. So one applies this to the hair and rinses it out pretty much right away. There is no known benefit to leaving it in or on the hair to dry, so I don't recommend doing that, although here on LHC you will hear some people do this. I have yet to hear someone explain their why on this point. The primary benefit of an ACV Rinse, specifically apple cider vinegar, is that the apple in this vinegar represents the presence of malic acid being in the vinegar which is said to be beneficial to the health of skin. All vinegar rinses tweak the pH scale to acidic or rather moving towards acidic, meaning really, the pH of the scalp skin being moved to center of the pH scale, or what we call, neutral, approximately 6.7/6.8 on the scale. Scalp Skin has an acid mantle, and a slightly more acidic environment is what most scalp skin prefers. To the best of my knowledge, this doesn't do a whole lot in terms of pH to hair itself. Additionally this also removes any residual product accidentally not fully rinsed out of the hair; it can additionally remove hard mineral water deposits that are procured in that hair wash ONLY. Once stuff has dried on the hair, vinegar and lemon/lime rinses do not remove it. You can opt to use either lemon OR lime juice. You don't need to use both at the same time. Vinegar or lemon/lime rinses are not clarifying. That's very important to know. Some claim it clarifies for them. I suspect this is because of confusion.

I think people sometimes get mixed up between removing buildup which is stuff that has built up on the hair and then dried on to the suface cuticle layer, and this kind of rinse. This rinse can remove stuff. For some, it's used successfully to remove residual product, for example, in that hair wash so they think this is clarifying. It's a misunderstanding of what the term clarifying means. Additionally, lots of people are mixed up between what is clarifying and what is chelating.

This is more info than you requested, but it seems to be helpful to explain in most cases. I apologize if I am being redundant, however.

If you have hard water in your house, this can absolutely affect shine and softness of the hair, and can contribute to buildup problems which can lead to hair being dry and behaving somewhat oddly, and having difficulty in taking up conditioner. If your conditioner appears to be working less well, it might be time to clarify the hair, then condition and kind of begin again, somewhat with a clean slate. However, there is no need to plan to clarify on any regular schedule. This is something you only need to do when your hair seems to be screaming for some help.

If you have hard water, you can address this easily by going to a hardware store and purchasing a shower head filter kit. These are around $20-$30 usually, and filters need to be purchased. Most are installed easily with screwdriver, pliers and a wrench. This is a great solution for those who rent because you do not usually need landlord permission to install it; it removes easily when you move out. If you have a house with hard water, it may be wise to invest the money and get the house water softened. It will prevent problems with hair, prevent dry itchy skin, make it easier to wash sinks, tubs, and toilets; and you won't have spots on dishes to contend with, and your clothes will last a bit longer for all the washing, AND you'll save on the need for more detergent such as dishsoap, soap for the dishwasher and laundry soap. Soap suds less in hard water conditions. Additionally, lots of people around me are buying over&over again coffee makers, and I am convinced that hard water can contribute to the degradation of certain automatic this or that kitchen tools, such as a coffee maker or iced tea maker. I installed a water softener and am grateful I have this in my house. It makes a lot of difference.

You might consider a heavy conditioning session such as an SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment) treatment, or Fox' Shea Butter Treatment. These are in the recipes section, I believe, somewhere.

I also recommend taking a look at my video on how I oil and see if that method might work for you. If you're curly haired you can fill a spritz bottle with oil and spritz the oil on your hair while it is wet.

If you have really curly/coarse hair, you can condition while still in the shower. Coat the hair in conditioner, then coat and re-coat as necessary the comb with conditioner and work this through the hair length, then rinse out all the conditioner.

Finally, it's important to be really clear about your hair type as this has a lot to do with how soft and how shiny one's hair can become. If you're somewhat coarse, it's not going to be that shiny, and you may be fine in actuality, but expecting something from your hair that may not be possible with the hair type you actually possess. Some of this is becoming in tune with what one has and the reality of the possibilities that exist. I have stick straight hair that never even bends, and I am able to have fairly shiny hair and fairly soft hair because this is the hair type that I have.

I wish you all the best, and hope this is helpful.
heidi w.

hototogisu
March 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I quit using conventional dyes two months ago, but I can't tell you how much pre-oiling with coconut oil helped with damage. Ktani has an article about it somewhere. I applied the dye directly over heavily oiled hair. Try it!

earthnut
April 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM

This is in fact a recommended technique, and is backed by scientific studies. Coconut and / or argan oil protects against peroxide damage without decreasing the lightening effect. There's a thread about it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495

If I were to bleach my hair, I'd totally do it. And probably apply more oil right after too.

julliams
April 21st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Every once in a while I open up a can of coconut milk and pour it into a bowl with a resealable lid. I kneel by the bathtub and dip my dry hair into it. My hair just absorbs it like crazy. I place a plastic grocery bag around it and then a microfiber turban over that to catch the drips and leave it in for an hour or so. I just wash it out like normal after that. It makes my hair soft and bouncy with lots of volume and zero frizz. One can lasts me about 2-3 uses, which is why I pour it into the bowl and keep the rest in the fridge.

Ditto this. I use lite coconut milk before washing and leave for about an hour (you can go for a walk with it up in a bun like this), then I wash as normal with shampoo and conditioner. The results surprise me every time. It's always so much nicer after this treatment. One can lasts me for 3 uses on hip length thick hair.

Dars
April 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
I recently and finally bought some coconut oil after 3 years of LHC. I use it on dry hair, concentrating on my ends and usually apply twice daily, every day until wash day (once or twice a week). I scrape a full fingernail or a half (I have relatively short nails) depending on how much ends are behaving. I consider my hair virgin and healthy and using coconut oil in the way I described has left my ends feeling super smooth, silky and generally feeling "nourished" and more moisturised than before. I haven't used it as a deep treatment but perhaps will in the future.

WickedWurlys
April 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
For those that may be interested, I have created a youtube video showing how I detangle, oil, BBB and put my hair up with a hairstick (which came out a bit wonky, but I worked without a mirror.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

Hi Heidi,

Wanted to thank you for your video and had a quick question...I was wondering how to do the coconut oil in a spray bottle with water that you mentioned? Wouldn't it harden at room temp & not stay mixed with the water?

Has anyone tried this and been successful without it coagulating in the nozzle and ruining the mister?

IcarusBride
April 22nd, 2012, 02:11 AM
I am a coconut oil ADDICT. I really am not sure I could live without it anymore. Literally my entire life until LHC, I repeated a cycle of growing my hair to BSL, having tremendous damage and cutting back to APL, and repeating. I never got any layers or styled haircut, just this repetitive cycle for 20 years. I wanted long hair but my hair would become dry, split, damaged and unbearable by the time it reached BSL. I only shampooed and conditioned my hair and never used heat, but really really weak/thin hair is just in my genes, I think.
Anyways, the major change I made was adding coconut oil, and now after 2 years I'm finally at hip length :D My routine is very simple. I wash my hair with diluted apple cider vinegar (it's 79 cents for a bottle that lasts me 4-6 months!) around once a week, and with water only the rest of the time (I try to shower every other or 3rd day in the winter, but in the summer it's every day.) About once a month I'll wash with shampoo, I think it even has sulfates in it. I've been using the same bottle for about a year and a half now. I have some conditioners I use occasionally, but it's only whenever I have the whim. Anyways, I put my hair in a towel while I get dressed and then put coconut oil in my damp hair. I sometimes use coconut oil on dry hair on days when I don't shower, and it works fine, but I feel like it works a lot better on wet hair, it just absorbs better (though that might be because it's freshly washed hair, whereas when I apply to dry hair it already might have some buildup on it from previous applications).
Unlike other people, I use a MASSIVE quantity of coconut oil, anywhere from a teaspoon to a whole tablespoon worth. I have extremely thin hair, besides. But I especially like the look of sleek hair, and I don't often wear my hair down anyways.
Coconut oil really changes the texture of my hair. Without it, my hair is much poofier and a bit wavy. With it, my hair is stick strait and sleek, and admittedly a bit stringy. The color also changes quite a bit-- with coconut oil, my hair looks much darker, almost Mahogany colored, whereas without it's a dark blonde/light brown color.
I never tried coconut milk or cream before. They sound interesting, though! Right now I'm trying to figure out how to bring my 5 gallon tub of coconut oil on study abroad with me, and how to explain to my host family if they notice me bringing vinegar into the bathroom with me some time... Hehe.
Ah, I also use coconut oil on my face. It's really good for under-eye dark circles. I do a 'scrub' washing of my face around once a week using baking soda and water. It's pretty harsh, so afterwards I literally spread a thin layer of coconut oil all over my face, and after a minute blot all the oil that didn't soak in off with a paper towel. My skin is soooo soft and looks really... dewey? I don't know how to express it :P But sometimes I'll get acne from this, sometimes not.

SapphiraSilver
April 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Wow, people use Coconut Oil in so many different ways! I love reading about it, thanks so much for sharing your methods. At the moment I am using it the day before I wash. I apply it to my hair the day before the wash, and tie it up or braid it and leave it over night. In the morning I CO (Conditioner only) then style/dry as usual and it's quite soft.

earthnut
April 24th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I am a coconut oil ADDICT. I really am not sure I could live without it anymore. Literally my entire life until LHC, I repeated a cycle of growing my hair to BSL, having tremendous damage and cutting back to APL, and repeating. I never got any layers or styled haircut, just this repetitive cycle for 20 years. I wanted long hair but my hair would become dry, split, damaged and unbearable by the time it reached BSL. I only shampooed and conditioned my hair and never used heat, but really really weak/thin hair is just in my genes, I think.
Anyways, the major change I made was adding coconut oil, and now after 2 years I'm finally at hip length :D My routine is very simple. I wash my hair with diluted apple cider vinegar (it's 79 cents for a bottle that lasts me 4-6 months!) around once a week, and with water only the rest of the time (I try to shower every other or 3rd day in the winter, but in the summer it's every day.) About once a month I'll wash with shampoo, I think it even has sulfates in it. I've been using the same bottle for about a year and a half now. I have some conditioners I use occasionally, but it's only whenever I have the whim. Anyways, I put my hair in a towel while I get dressed and then put coconut oil in my damp hair. I sometimes use coconut oil on dry hair on days when I don't shower, and it works fine, but I feel like it works a lot better on wet hair, it just absorbs better (though that might be because it's freshly washed hair, whereas when I apply to dry hair it already might have some buildup on it from previous applications).
Unlike other people, I use a MASSIVE quantity of coconut oil, anywhere from a teaspoon to a whole tablespoon worth. I have extremely thin hair, besides. But I especially like the look of sleek hair, and I don't often wear my hair down anyways.
Coconut oil really changes the texture of my hair. Without it, my hair is much poofier and a bit wavy. With it, my hair is stick strait and sleek, and admittedly a bit stringy. The color also changes quite a bit-- with coconut oil, my hair looks much darker, almost Mahogany colored, whereas without it's a dark blonde/light brown color.
I never tried coconut milk or cream before. They sound interesting, though! Right now I'm trying to figure out how to bring my 5 gallon tub of coconut oil on study abroad with me, and how to explain to my host family if they notice me bringing vinegar into the bathroom with me some time... Hehe.
Ah, I also use coconut oil on my face. It's really good for under-eye dark circles. I do a 'scrub' washing of my face around once a week using baking soda and water. It's pretty harsh, so afterwards I literally spread a thin layer of coconut oil all over my face, and after a minute blot all the oil that didn't soak in off with a paper towel. My skin is soooo soft and looks really... dewey? I don't know how to express it :P But sometimes I'll get acne from this, sometimes not.

Thanks for details on your hair routine! I want to get to something close to this. :bluesmile

For my face, anything remotely harsh, like scrubs or baking soda or even 'mild' cleansers, makes me break out. I love this technique: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/ I don't use castor oil; I've tried it with pure olive oil, and coconut oil, and both worked really well. Easy, quick, and leaves my skin sooo soft! :grnbiggri

WickedWurlys
April 24th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for details on your hair routine! I want to get to something close to this. :bluesmile

For my face, anything remotely harsh, like scrubs or baking soda or even 'mild' cleansers, makes me break out. I love this technique: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/ I don't use castor oil; I've tried it with pure olive oil, and coconut oil, and both worked really well. Easy, quick, and leaves my skin sooo soft! :grnbiggri

I've just begun OCM yesterday w/straight EVOO and I'm sooo excited to see. As of today, so far so good :)

MagicalMystery
April 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Organix makes a great Coconut milk oil. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Lazy Loop
April 24th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I've been looking for a magic cure. Going to try a pure coconut oil on dry hair and sleep on it tonight!
Trying to get my hair softer and more manageable. It's sort of stiff on the ends. :magic:

SapphiraSilver
April 25th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I've been looking for a magic cure. Going to try a pure coconut oil on dry hair and sleep on it tonight!
Trying to get my hair softer and more manageable. It's sort of stiff on the ends. :magic:

This is what I do. Oil them from ears down, put a lot on the ends, and leave it overnight, then wash in the morning. It does help :)

wendylai
April 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM
has anyone used on sauna? can it cause damage is the temperature is pretty high.. even if you keep it inside a towel?

The problem for me is to get the excess oil out of the lenghts when I wash. i dont want to scrub it ( My hair is a bit over BSL ), so do you think keeping it in a bowl of vinegar rinse would suffice getting at least bearably the oil out?

midsummernight
April 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I love coconut oil. I use it regularly on my scalp. But if I use it on length it make my hair crunchy.
I have also tried coconut milk once. I love it! I makes my hair so soft and smooth!

marykatz
April 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Sometimes I put it on my hair when it is wet and it dries nicely but there is a fine line between shiny and greasy. So it always seems like a risk because I can easily put too much.

KAggs
April 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I try to use it every 3 days. I put it in before I sleep, leave it in over night, and then wash it out the next morning. I feel like it gives my hair and scalp a reboost till the next time. It's something that I'll probably always keep doing from now on.

Gladtobemom
April 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM
My hair loves coconut oil. I actually credit it with increasing the strength, shine, and un-frizziness of my hair.

I use Lite Coconut milk on my length, then wash my scalp with very diluted Pine Tar Soap (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=16843).
(please note that this is very similar to Dianyla's Method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=16585).

This leaves my hair lightly and evenly oiled. My hair is not weighed down, it's pretty fluffy, but not overly frizzy. If I don't do anything else, it looks like this:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/08-07-29LiteCoconutMilk.jpg

Frizz busting! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6508) This changed my whole view of my hair.
My hair is wurly curly and frizzy.
I mix Aloe Gel and Coconut oil, I apply it before bunning my hair.
When I take my hair down from a bun, it looks like this:
And my hair shines! No frizz at all.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/10thD-20070102.jpg

I also apply coconut oil directly to my hair when it is dry. I just but a couple of fingernail scratchings on my hands and apply from the ears down. I usually do this at night after it's braided, then I apply extra to the braid tassel.

KAggs
April 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Wow, Gladtobemom! The changes in your hair before and after is truly astounding! It looks incredibly soft. :D Do you use it every day to get these results?

SapphiraSilver
April 26th, 2012, 12:15 AM
I mix Aloe Gel and Coconut oil, I apply it after before bunning my hair.

I want to try this combination, do you do it on wet or dry hair? Do you wash it off? curious.

midsummernight
April 26th, 2012, 01:15 AM
@Gladtobemom: can you use refined coconut oil for this. I really love coconut oil but dont like its smell as a leave in. Also does this make you hair crunchy at all?

Gladtobemom
April 26th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Wow, Gladtobemom! The changes in your hair before and after is truly astounding! It looks incredibly soft. :D Do you use it every day to get these results?

I use it most days. Pretty much always before bunning or braiding if I'm not oiling alone.

It's important to note that I do have quite a lot of hair and it's at tailbone. Still, I'm using only about a measured teaspoon of the mixture. What's left on my hands, I use to sweep over the surface and I just rub it into my legs or arms. (It is a good moisturizer too).

Gladtobemom
April 26th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I want to try this combination, do you do it on wet or dry hair? Do you wash it off? curious.

The Frizz buster gel (Aloe gel mixed with coconut oil) is not washed out.

If I'm using it after a wash, then I do it on wet hair, comb it through and sometimes roll my hair on magnetic curlers. This gives me very smooth results.

If I'm using it on dry hair, then I apply with the flats of my hands, comb, and bun or braid.

Most of the time, I use the lite coconut milk when I wash and let my hair get dry before I use any of the frizz buster gel. The first day after washing, it's fluffy, wavy, and feels lightly oiled without any additions.

afu
April 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I apply coconut oil all over my hair at least an hour before bleaching (highlights, it can also be used for dying), then leave it on and bleach/dye as usual. It really does reduce damage dramatically. I apply to towel dried hair after CO washing. I have been able to get rid of almost all the frizz i used to have by the combination of CO and post wash coconut oil - but that frizz busting gel sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing

janeytilllie
April 26th, 2012, 08:04 AM
My hair loves coconut oil. :)
I use it both as a pre wash treatment and a leave in oil.

My method

The night before I wash I will do a heavy oiling with coconut oil.

I will then wash my hair and condition as normal.

I then apply baby oil on my damp hair.

Once my hair is 90% dry. I apply a good amount of coconut oil on my hair length and ends.

I will then bun it.

The next day I have silky, frizz free and shiny hair :)

If my ends feel dry inbetween washes, I will apply a little amount on my ends.

afu
April 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
My hair loves coconut oil. :)
I use it both as a pre wash treatment and a leave in oil.

My method

The night before I wash I will do a heavy oiling with coconut oil.

I will then wash my hair and condition as normal.

I then apply baby oil on my damp hair.

Once my hair is 90% dry. I apply a good amount of coconut oil on my hair length and ends.

I will then bun it.

The next day I have silky, frizz free and shiny hair :)

If my ends feel dry inbetween washes, I will apply a little amount on my ends.

I always thought baby oil/mineral oil sealed the hair to lock in oils and moisture and that coconut oil should be applied first to allow the lauric acid to penetrate the hair before sealing. I guess it goes to show our hair all responds differently

Gladtobemom
April 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM
@Gladtobemom: can you use refined coconut oil for this. I really love coconut oil but dont like its smell as a leave in. Also does this make you hair crunchy at all?

I've used:
Spectrum Organics Unrefined (http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205)Coconut Oil
Spectrum Organics Refined (http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87) Coconut Oil
Monoi Oil (http://www.monoi.com/oil.html) (Usually Vanille)
Camden Grey (http://www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils/Raw-Material-Carrier-Oils/) Fractionated Coconut Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Hobacare (http://www.jojobacompany.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1) Jojoba Oil
Shea Terra Shea Butter (there's a lot of badly processed grainy shea butter out there, Shea Terra is excellent quality)
Olive oil (refined)
Castor oil (from Camden Grey (http://www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils/Raw-Material-Carrier-Oils/))
Camelia Oil
Ojon Oil

Any of the coconut oils seemed to work well. I often use monoi in the winter because it is easier. In the health food store, I can buy a pint of

Sweet almond oil is a traditional favorite. My daughter prefers it, she has 3B/C hair and she also uses the almond oil in her oil-cleansing-method for her face.

Shea . . . I don't use it anymore for direct oiling, though I do use it for making hair butter. I used to love Shea Terra Frankincense and Myrrh, but I can't get that anymore.

Castor oil, works well in the frizz buster gel for super frizzy hair. It is more of a barrier oil and I often put in a drop or two when there is high humidity because my hair becomes a giant frizzy pyramid if left to its own devices. I need to seal OUT that extra humidity.

Olive oil, didn't like it. It never seemed to really get absorbed.

Camelia Oil, works better alone for oiling my hair. Honestly, I think my hair is too porous, it just sucks it up with little effect. It is wonderful on my younger daughter's hair, though. Her hair is 2a and fine textured.

Ojon Oil, woks great, my hair loves it. I like the earthy smell. I'll be honest, though, it's pricey and I haven't bought a jar in a couple of years.

I try to give something a try for at least two weeks before I really decide my opinion. Coconut oil really gives my hair shine and strength. For nearly a year, I was convinced that Hobacare was working well. I switched to Coconut oil (Monoi and Spectrum Unrefined), within a couple of months, I noticed I had almost no breakage at all. Then . . . I searched and searched for splits and couldn't find ANY. When I looked back through my lab notebook, I realized that this was the only change I'd made in my routine.

I first tried the Lite Coconut Milk CWC in 2008. Since then, I've pretty much settled into using that most of the time. In the summer, when it's humid, I do use a mixture of aloe, Coconut, and castor oils. In winter, I stick with just coconut oil.

90% of the time, I get by on Lite Coconut Milk, Diluted Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap, Coconut Oil, FOTE Aloe Gel, and Vinegar/Water rinse to repair the scalp's acid mantle.

Ligeia_13
April 26th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I use coconut oil. I usually soak some on my ends for a few hours before my hair wash. And then when I get out of the shower, after it has stopped dripping (:p) I apply just a little to the ends.

Sugarjaye
April 27th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I used coconut cream for the first time last night on my fine dry hair. I mixed about a tablespoon or so of evoo into it and soaked my hair with the mixture. I left it in for about 2 hours then washed it out with CO wash(first time doing this too.). I then gave it a brush with my wide tooth comb and put it up for the night and went to bed.
When it was finally dry, oh my goodness, it was the softest it has been in quite a while, I will definately be making this a regular treat for my hair.

janeytilllie
April 27th, 2012, 02:25 AM
I always thought baby oil/mineral oil sealed the hair to lock in oils and moisture and that coconut oil should be applied first to allow the lauric acid to penetrate the hair before sealing. I guess it goes to show our hair all responds differently

Indeed :)

My hair is so fussy and weird. I've tried using coconut oil then baby oil. My hair hated it. :confused:

I also can't use coconut oil on it's own. I need it to be oilied with baby oil first. I don't why. :confused:

My hair perfers baby oil on wet hair and then coconut oil on nearly dry hair.

MagicalMystery
April 27th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Ok... I ad a huge jar of organic coconut oil in my cupboard from last year. My hair was fried from bleach, but even coconut oil couldn't save my curls. My hair was feling brittle tonight, so I decided to give it another try... and wow! My hair went from dull and uptight to smooth and calm!! Its shiny and my curls bounced right up! I think it's my new daily ritual! Glad I rediscovered it. :)

By the way... anyone ever mix it with honey? Is honey at all beneficial for the hair? I get mixed answers.

Jessy22284
April 27th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I use coconut oil once a week. I put it on dry and saturate my hair with it. I then put the hair on the top of my head in a bun, and warm it up using a hair dryer (so the oil penatrates better) for about a minute or two. Then I cover it with a shower cap, then one of those towel turbans to keep the heat in. I leave it like that for about two hours. Then I c/o it off. Lately I've also been adding a tiny bit of sweet almond oil at the very end before I put it up in a bun because I like the way the two of them smell together.

I did it friday, the next morning I shampooed and my hair looked amazing. Very soft and shiny and bouncy. :inlove:

wendylai
April 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I tried coconut deep conditioning but it made (after shampooing) my hair "stick" up the little hairs and my ends were hopelesly greasy.. I love the smell and the oil itself I just have to think of right way to use it I guess.

earthnut
April 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
By the way... anyone ever mix it with honey? Is honey at all beneficial for the hair? I get mixed answers.

Honey is a humectant. Like anything else, some people's hair loves it, some hate it. ;) I've mixed honey and oil for oiling my dry hair, and I didn't notice much difference.

SapphiraSilver
May 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
Does coconut oil help for strengthening? How much protein does it have?

Falcore
May 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM

Pretty sure coconut oil has zero protein in it..

PixxieStix
May 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
I adore coconut oil. I mix it in with my home made hair and body whipped Shea butter, I'll mix it with salt for a face scrub, I use it as eye make up remover, I use it to oil my ends after washing when it is about 70% dry, I eat a tablespoon or so a day (have a jar for my body and one for eating!) , and I LOVE mashing up an avocado with a can of coconut milk for a deep treatment applied to dry hair, wrapped in a towel for a few hours and then washed, my hair feels like silk afterwards! I use coconut oil in my oil shampoo (about 50/50 organic virgin coconut oil and ABBA moisturizing shampoo) and use that to wash out my deep treatments. The stuff is amazing, I'm not sure what my hair would do without it. :)

earthnut
May 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Coconut oil doesn't have protein, but it bonds to the protein in your hair. It does help with strengthening.

Macaroni
May 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
I started using coconut oil, unrefined and organic. I use it as a pre-CWC treatment on dry hair. I usually leave it in overnight. It's made a big difference in the softness and shine of my hair. My hair is waistlength, with permanent color which is only done on the roots for touch up, I have never re-colored my length with permanent color.

SapphiraSilver
May 10th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I just used up half a can of organic Coconut cream on my hair. I think the cream has a little amount of protein in it to help with the strengthening.

hazelscythe
May 10th, 2012, 04:17 AM
My hair and skin love coconut oil. I almost cried when I saw how soft my hair became-- I didn't think it was ever a possibility.
I find that I have to shampoo two times to wash the oil out. I'm trying to break up with my shampoo and try a homemade shampoo. Does anyone recommend a good shampoo recipe (other than soap nuts) to wash coconut oil out?

earthnut
May 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM
You can use any mild soap like a shampoo bar, or liquid castille soap. Though, IME, soaps and shampoo bars left a residue in my hair that built up quite quickly. You should try different things and see what works for your hair, routine, and water type. After trying many things, I've settled on occasional use of a sulfate-free shampoo. I like Nature's Gate because it's cheap and readily available.

Vanille_
May 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I've been putting coconut oil in my hair recently. I just brush it lightly in like Heidi showed in her video with a BBB. I try not to put enough in that it would look oily, just enough to soften it a bit. I don't put any on the top of my head, near my scalp - that area oils itself fast enough, it doesn't need my help.

It has made a huge difference. My hair is much softer now.

hazelscythe
May 14th, 2012, 09:55 AM
You can use any mild soap like a shampoo bar, or liquid castille soap. Though, IME, soaps and shampoo bars left a residue in my hair that built up quite quickly. You should try different things and see what works for your hair, routine, and water type. After trying many things, I've settled on occasional use of a sulfate-free shampoo. I like Nature's Gate because it's cheap and readily available.

Ephemeral
May 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
One of the first things that I did when I first started lurking on this site in March, was oil my hair. I use coconut oil and almond oil as a deep treatment over night and then lightly oil the ends after I CO wash. My hair loves coconut oil, so I use a bit everyday. My hair has been thanking me ever since March....

racrane
May 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I am a huge fan of coconut oil! I use it to detangle if need be - but I like to put it on my ends, mostly. I don't have issues of it coming out because I don't use a lot. But it makes my ends smoother and shiner, definitely. :)

(I also have found it is the only thing that that soothes the itchy skin on my stomach during my pregnancy.)

meishkamooshka
May 16th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for coconut oil brands? I'd really like to start using some, but I'm not sure where to look. If it helps, I live in Sacramento, California! :)

Vintagecoilylocks
May 18th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I use fractionated coconut oil in my daughters homemade conditioner wash with liquid castile soap, virgin coconut oil in my protein pre-poo DC. Virgin coconut in my leave in conditioner. I am a CW and use only ACV as a clarifier if I susspect buildup. Sometime just virgin coconut oil under a plastic cap over night in between wash.

Its ia a main staple for my hair and skin.

beachgirlla
May 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I tried coconut oil many times, but my hair did not like it much, it seems that it builds up fast and I'm on CW now, I do not like to use shampoos, and even when I used it I did not see much difference anyway, I tried to apply it on my dry ends but it made them so greasy and they will pick up dust and dirt, so forget it, not for me :)

MegaMystery
May 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I just ordered some vanilla perfume oil to mix with my (unscented)coconut oil to make jummy vanilla-scented coconut oil :D

Amanah
May 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM
you can make coconut milk shampoo by mixing Castile Shampoo with coconut milk

lots of recipes for it if you google it.

julierockhead
May 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Coconut oil is great because it is the only oil proven to actually absorb into the hair's cortex, and it helps prevent protein loss. I use it to oil my dry hair very lightly morning and night, I use it lightly on damp hair after a wash, and I use it heavily for deep treatments. I use other oils too but coconut oil made a huge difference in my hair. And it's cheap! YAY! The only downside is that it is comedogenic, so I am careful not to get it on my skin, as I am prone to breakouts.

Raiscake
May 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I use coconut oi after I wash my hair. I towel dry it first so it's not dripping wet, then put a few drops in. My hair is so, so soft when it dries. :D

ClassicalBlonde
May 19th, 2012, 12:28 AM
My hair loves coconut oil. I usually use it as both a prewash treatment and a deep treatment. I like to mix it with some EVOO too. It makes my hair soo soft and shiny.

Mary1
November 9th, 2015, 07:28 AM
I love extra virgin coconut oil, usuallu oder from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cocozia-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-16-9/dp/B00J1AE5EW/ref=sr_1_4?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1445869676&sr=1-4&keywords=cocozia