PDA

View Full Version : Bedtime Hair Ideas

EmilyOtter
March 24th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Okay, so I am looking for the best thing to do with my hair for when I sleep. What do you do with yours? Do you put it up? Is there a bun you can lie on? If you pull all your hair to the top of your head, does it look insanely big in the morning?

I'd like to try something new! Usually I just leave it down, but then it gets so crazy with my usual tossing and turning.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :D

Zydrate
March 24th, 2012, 03:19 AM
I tried the sock bun, and got this -
http://i39.tinypic.com/rkr508.jpg
Not so pretty :D
But I think I made a mistake and rolled it too high on the head, it looked way better when I did it lower.

When I braid it it looks like this
http://i40.tinypic.com/2urnvie.jpg
And I'm actually not sure weather I like it or not this way

Desdesdes
March 24th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I'm a sinner, and have fallen down on wrapping my hair at night. When I do wrap I use loooooong silk belly dance veils. They are perfect for keeping things contained. Two of my daughters wrap their hair a night, using silk scarves (children's play silks are the perfect size) and sometimes bonnets.

Mononoke
March 24th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I braid my hair for bedtime.
I've tried rolling it in soft fabric but it always gets loose during the night and the hair falls out, and I haven't yet found a way to secure a bun so that it's comfortable to sleep with, and doesn't pull my hair.

Fairlight63
March 24th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I have tried the bun on top of my head but for it to stay there I have to put it in really tight & I don't want to put that much pressure on my hair all night. I have really fine thin hair & don't feel that it is good for it.

What works for me is to put it in a loose braid then put on a sleep cap or leave off the sleep cap & when I lay down on the pillow & put the braid on the pillow behind my head.

Kes
March 24th, 2012, 06:54 AM
At night, like you I have tried any number of things. For me a French braid works well, as my hair is now BSL I can braid it quite loosely so it is not massivley curly in the morning but stays in overnight. If I want to wear it down the following morning I have a small spritzer bottle, and I lightly damp my hair down with filtered water with a little EVO. Shake it well, spritz hair and gently comb.
I also have a silk pillow case, it cuts down on the friction on your hair when you move in the night.

Sleep well.:sleep:

janeytilllie
March 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I do what this lovely lady on youtube does
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8XALI-6yeU&list=PL95460B9BFE994980&index=50&feature=plpp_video

I think it's called a sleep pony?

I can't braid/bun my hair it creates frizz and tangles for me. The method above works best but I tweek it alittle.

Once I have my hair in the silk scunchies.

I put my pony in a hair net.

I then place my eye mask over it so my ends at the top of my head in the net and they stay with the eye mask on.

I hope that made sense :)

My hair is knot free, no braid waves and my ends are safe :)

The-Young-Maid
March 24th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I braid my hair at night, it leaves me with pretty braid waves the next day.:inlove:

Madora
March 24th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I bend at the waist, make sure my hair is fully tangle free, then loosely braid it 3/4ths of the way down, then coil it in a bun on top of my head. Looks like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=104112

Comfy and it takes under two minutes to detangle..and no poofiness either.

Firefly
March 24th, 2012, 08:12 AM
For years I slept with a braid, but lately I've been trying not to disturb my natural wave pattern, so I've started doing a banded ponytail with small (but thick) terry bands, like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=699&pictureid=129044

It works really well, and all I need in the morning is a quick once-over with a wide tooth comb.

patienceneeded
March 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Currently I either do a loose english braid or a loose bun on the top of my head. I still sleep with it loose sometimes too, just because I like to. I do have a satin pillowcase though, so it doesn't really tangle overnight. I think different hairtypes and lengths have different "containment" needs for sleeping. It's very individual, I've discovered. Good luck finding a method that works for you. Adjust it as you need.

Darkessa
March 24th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I highly recommend a night cap/sleep cap.
I used to put my hair in a fan bun thing... And it got too long for that.
I tried braids, but I honestly dont like the waves, or the fact that the ends are exposed.

I got a suuuper cheap sleep cap off of amazon.com and I freakin love it!!!
Its incredibly easy, stays on (most nights), is actually pretty comfy, and is highly effective.

einna
March 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I sleep in twin english braids, on a satin pillowcase. Works pretty well, but my hair is getting a bit long, so I need to see if I can do something to protect the ends better.

EmilyOtter
March 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas, ladies! Yesterday I had damp-bunned and then re-bunned for night-time, & wore a satin wrappy-thing. The wrap stayed on almost all night, and the bun was pretty comfortable. I've been trying to search for what it's called, but can't find it now. :(

the top was flat, but the bottom looked like this:

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q484/EmilyOtter/Photo303-1.jpg

Now I have to find out what that darn bun is called. I'm looking forward to trying new things this week! :D

EmilyOtter
March 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Oh, but thanks again! :)

Zesty
March 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'm in a more or less constant state of experimentation on this one. I can't do buns, because they pull and are uncomfortable, and I prefer top-of-the-head styles because it keeps everything out of the way. What I've done lately, which has worked really well, is: braid my hair somewhat loosely with my head turned upside down; I secure that with a hair tie made of old tights. Then I fold the braid more or less in half, wrap the end of it around the base (next to my head) and wrap a huge scrunchie around that. This was my solution when a simple braid on the top of my head draped over the pillow started getting caught between the bed and the wall, roughing up the tassel... I don't have volume from this, but I wake up with waves. They usually go away pretty quickly.

jacqueline101
March 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I do a bun with my hair.

Arashi
March 24th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I usually do twin french braids.

PrincessIdril
March 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I always plait my hair (I think americans call it an english braid?), i used to just wear it in a lose pony but my hair kept coming untied/got stupidly tangled so i stopped.

Normally I just wear 1 plait as my hair has a nice natural wave and this just "maintains" my natural waves. If I want seriously wavy hair then its 2 plaits when damp. When I get time/fabric I'm going to make a mob cap to wear too.

DancingQueen
March 24th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I just flip all my hair over the top of my pillow, and let it hang over the edge of my bed (It is about two feet from the wall). I tend to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, but once you get used to it, it is way easier than anything else. Plus, my skin got a lot cleaner, since my hair is not in my face all the time. BONUS! :)

ETA: I don't loose volume this way, and I have almost no tangles in my hair in the morning.

Pinkster8
March 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I usually do one or two English braids, or occasionally a loose twist covered with a satin sleep scarf. I usually don't do the latter because the scarf falls off in the night and I wake up with some minor tangles and weird bumps and waves :)

EmilyOtter
March 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I just flip all my hair over the top of my pillow, and let it hang over the edge of my bed (It is about two feet from the wall). I tend to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, but once you get used to it, it is way easier than anything else. Plus, my skin got a lot cleaner, since my hair is not in my face all the time. BONUS! :)

I do that sometimes too... every time I wake up & turn over I flip my hair back over the back of the pillow. The problem is now that it is getting longer, I occasionally whack my hand on the wall behind me and wake myself up more, feeling mega-dorky. :p

Maybe I should scoot down the bed further! :D

gracenotes
March 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
A braided bun right on top of my head (a bit like what Madora does) seems to work pretty well for me. Otherwise, I do pigtail braids, but they can be frustrating since I always seem to end up laying on them.

MinderMutsig
March 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I do different kinds of braids. English, French, Faux French, twins English, twin French etc.
If I'm lazy and braiding is too much work but I still have the sense to do something with it I put it in a half through ponytail on top of my head with a scrunchy. If I really don't feel like doing anything I just toss it all up over the pillow.

dRummie
March 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Half the bedtime problem is solved by using a satin pillowcase :p

Otherwise, my repertoire is: cinnamon bun on top of head, princess leia buns (high enough to lie down comfortably), pig tail braids, single braid on top of head. The buns are held by spin pins, sometimes with a nylon sock overtop to keep frizz down. The leia buns give fantastic waves in the morning :)

EmilyOtter
March 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Half the bedtime problem is solved by using a satin pillowcase :p

Ha, just got one today :)

caiti42
March 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I put mine in a high pony tail and then braid that. It's the only way I don't end up with it falling it or a sore neck from sleeping in it

barely.there
March 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I need the ideas too as I'm getting more serious about my hair care.

last night i just did a couple braids. even though they were loose, i dont like the kinky-ness they leave.

I'm looking to do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uoFcK_zM8o

apparently a lot of africans do it after they have their hair chemically straightened to keep the straightness for a bit longer. my hair is only slightly wavy, but so far the best idea I have found for myself.

Caitpenn
March 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I used to just leave my hair down when I went to bed, but it got so tangled up by morning (I'm a toss n turner). Now, I do a simple rope braid. I don't start with a pony tail, so there isn't an annoying hairtie blob at the back of my head if I want to sleep on my back. I find that rope braiding gives me a nice gradual, natural waviness when I wake up in the morning. This also keeps my hair out of my husbands face at night. lol

ibleedlipstick
March 27th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I leave it down and drape it over my pillow. I used to try to braid it or bun it, but it drove me insane and caused more damage. I have found that it works far better to let it do its thing, now that it is just beyond waist.

Anje
March 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM
My scalp requires that I wear my hair low at night, which limits me to a braid or loose, and I tend to sleep on top of my braids. So I'm a huge fan of wearing it loose inside a satin sleep bonnet. Looks incredibly dorky, but my hair is untangled in the morning, and often gets nice waves if I go to bed with it a bit damp.

PixxieStix
March 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I have the silk pillowcase, but other than that I have yet to find a good night time hair style. Twin braids , even at just past shoulder, seem to get caught awkwardly, upside down braids are okay, but not great, I did manage a bun on the very top of my head that I secured with a Ficarre that was super comfy, but worry about sleeping with a metal clip in my hair. Overall my hair doesn't tangle too much though so I'm pretty happy about that.