PDA

View Full Version : me in retail with long hair

omgkfclolz
March 24th, 2012, 01:21 AM
my hair isn't too long now (i want to get it down to my chin) but i was wondering how men in retail are treated with long hair. I'm 22 and my hair is a bit longer than most but i want it longer. I wake up each morning, shower, (put conditioner in it at least once a week), shave, blow dry, and straighten it. I take longer than most females (about an hour to get ready for work). Right now i work in retail, at wal-mart, and their so cool with my hair. it's a part of my personality i guess?

Do you think i can pull off longer hair? Also i'm trying to get a job in cellular sales. Do you think they'd accept hair down to chin level if it looked neat and clean?
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cf4fty&s=5

That link above is a recent pic of me

Debra83
March 24th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't accept it if it is neat and clean. If they have a length issue once it gets longer, they may require you to put it up (like a ponytail) which is a plus because as long as you use safe elastics/holders it'll protect your hair to grow even longer!! :D

Avital88
March 24th, 2012, 05:03 AM
i dont see a problem either , i do recommend to cut back on the heat as it will make your hair frizzy and more prone to breakage and splits in the long run.

Ceridwen Iris
March 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Asking here probably isn't going to give you an accurate picture of views of your hair in the 'real world'. I think long hair can be fine, and I might hire you if it were longer but it is hard to say without seeing the whole 'package' of how you present.

Personally, I wouldn't hire you for sales with your hair in your eyes as it is currently. I would want staff whose face was completely clear. So for me, it isn't so much length as styling.

Tomoyo
March 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM
My husband has what would be considered BSL :p length hair and keeps it under a hat most of the time, or ties it back completely off his face for work so it's out of the way. No-one's had a problem with it so far.

noelgirl
March 24th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I work at a clothing store, and I have a male coworker with shoulder-length hair. He usually wears it in a ponytail for work, and as far as I know it's never been a problem for him (and he's worked retail for many years).

Amber_Maiden
March 24th, 2012, 09:07 AM
i think it's fine!

ladyshep
March 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM
ditto. Looks neat and clean to me! I've seen young men in best buy with hair like yours. Just keep it out of the eyes so you can see customers and them you.

coderred
March 24th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately, it's impossible to guess every hiring manager's personal preference. Just be true to yourself and stay clean and neat.

IanB
March 24th, 2012, 10:00 AM
It looks great, and as has been said before, you can always pony tail when it get's longer. Try to keep away from the heat - and chemicals. Good luck

jojo
March 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I RN and one of the nursing assistants (male) has hair of a similar length and he keeps it lovely, nobody has said anything to him, though he will have to pony tail it as it gets longer due to hospital policy.

I think as long as its kept neat and tidy, there shouldn't be a problem.

heidi w.
March 24th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Can not see the link of the pix of you, sorry.

I have a thing of being able to see someone's eyes in retail. I would say as long as your hair is generally tidy, out of the face for the most part, and not a big rat's nest bush, you're fine.

A lot of people have an opinion about how long guy's hair should be, and they may comment. I wonder that you may get more "complaints" that might be based on personal opinion and a person's perception than on actual facts.

It seems to me that at work, what matters most, is that you're good at your job. If you've got that covered, know where things are in the store, know the prices of more popular purchases, can scan a person's purchase accurately, are generally polite and helpful, then I think you don't have too much to worry about.

heidi w.

sfgirl
March 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I used to work at Walmart, they really didn't care what you did with our hair, besides no colors like pink or blue.
:)

Pinkster8
March 24th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I think it looks nice! It is definitely clean and cared for; I would have no problem with your hair. Good luck on getting the cellular sales job!

Pinkster8
March 24th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Can not see the link of the pix of you, sorry.

I have a thing of being able to see someone's eyes in retail. I would say as long as your hair is generally tidy, out of the face for the most part, and not a big rat's nest bush, you're fine.

A lot of people have an opinion about how long guy's hair should be, and they may comment. I wonder that you may get more "complaints" that might be based on personal opinion and a person's perception than on actual facts.

It seems to me that at work, what matters most, is that you're good at your job. If you've got that covered, know where things are in the store, know the prices of more popular purchases, can scan a person's purchase accurately, are generally polite and helpful, then I think you don't have too much to worry about.

heidi w.

I agree with this. I don't have a problem with long hair on men anyway, but as long as he is kind and knows how to do their job that is all that really matters to me.

KwaveT
March 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I am a Wal-mart cashier. My manager gave me a big fit over the cleanliness of my hair when I was CO my hair. I got forced to going back to using shampoo. Her solution was for me to cut my hair. I refused and confronted her with the dress code in the next sentence and she relented. As far as length, Wal-mart can care less what length your hair is. It is not against our dress code for either men or women to have long hair. It just mentions having hair "conservative in style and color" and to tie long hair in an elastic/other means if your hair gets in way of doing your job or becomes a safety hazard. I have seen cashiers with waist length hair wearing their hair loose. My hair does get in my face on my right side. As it gets longer I will be able to get it out of my face.

AnqeIicDemise
March 24th, 2012, 08:14 PM
retail = ok

corporate = not okay.

DH had gorgeous, GORGEOUS BSL curls. He was going no where at the call center. Oh, he sure got a promotion quick when he got a 'business cut'. 9-9

No one ever batted an eyelash or four when he worked retail. He was just told to keep it clean and tidy. But then again, they told everyone this so.. yeah. :P

ETA: The 'corporate = not okay' comment refers mostly if you want to go further up the food chain. DH has a penchant for business and would like to work in the higher mechanisms of corporate America. While he had long hair, no one had a problem as long as he stuck to the phones. When he started showing promise and not getting a promotion to the desired jobs, he cut it. While it may not be in any dress code at the company we worked for, the higher ups did prefer a man with short hair. I was superbly amused (not so) when he got a promotion about a week after he cut his curls.

HerbalAnnie
March 24th, 2012, 08:50 PM
When you apply and interview for the cellular job, dress professionally (no less than an oxford or dress shirt and Docker style slacks) and keep the hair off your face. I've done lots of hiring and firing in my time. I never gave much thought to someone who came to an interview wearing sloppy clothes and who had to keep brushing the hair out of his (or her) eyes.

Kelli Kat
March 24th, 2012, 08:53 PM
My son's hair is just a little longer than bsl (seems funny to say that about a guy) any way, he's a cashier at Sprouts and the only thing they require is that he buns it up

jc10event
March 24th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm a guy with 4 feet worth (check my album). Don't think you have anything to worry about. An occasional comment here or there with regards to higher ranking managers but they usually are fine with immediate supors decision. I see long hair on guys more and more. I think in the cell market, the people mostly making up the clientele are usually of the age to be understanding. I have worked retail, teaching in public schools, college coaching, and with the state. As long as you keep it slicked back, in pony, in a braid, it seems to work well. Ask some cellular reps out there now?
Mine is kept in a braid most of the time.
Good job with the upkeep. Keep putting to practice what these wise women have to say.

omgkfclolz
March 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Alright so i'm posting more images. here's one that i found from my phone that is about a year or two old...i got a bad haircut one day from an a-hole who didn't follow directions and had my awesome hair...cut...
This is what it looks like short. I kinda liked it here...
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2urqd8w&s=5

And here's what i hated about it...it'd get this curly. And you can't straighten this short of hair...
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vnp1z9&s=5

and here's a person i know that i'd like to have hair like...
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cdtwr4&s=5

Thanks for all the replies btw :)

Btw. if the pics aren't coming here's the hyperlink to them

My hair once it was short
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2urqd8w&s=5

Why i hated it (it would curl up)
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vnp1z9&s=5

An example of how i want it to look
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cdtwr4&s=5

caadam
March 24th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I used to work at a Wal Mart that had a department manager with longer hair than yours. It was just past his shoulders... but SUPER oily. lol And he never tied it back or anything, just let it hang around his face. At least it didn't look too bad beyond that.

Anyway, I digress on that—point is that I think if you take care of it, you should be good to go. Look up your store's policy, too! It'll give you a good idea on what kind of dress you can get away with, and what you can't. If it doesn't say anything along the lines of, "Men should have this length of hair," or whatever, then grow it, dude! If your managers have a problem with it, DO NOT BE AFRAID to pull out policy and ask them to show you where you can't have long hair!

A good manager will appreciate an employee who knows policy. :)

caadam
March 24th, 2012, 11:05 PM

heidi w.

I want to give this another vote, too. It doesn't take too much energy to just have a nice, polite attitude with customers, even if you're having a bad day. I was a cashier/floor assistant myself, and even if I was cranky, I always made sure to leave my baggage at the door and did my job the best I could.

With knowing policy and being a good employee, I think you'll be in the green.

omgkfclolz
March 24th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Here's the way I wear it at work;out of my face

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=z5zpg&s=5

Here's how i wear it with friends, outside of work

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=347th0o&s=5

missdelarocha
March 25th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Here's the way I wear it at work;out of my face

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=z5zpg&s=5

Here's how i wear it with friends, outside of work

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=347th0o&s=5

That doesn't really look that different in my opinion.

A slicked back long braid or ponytail is a different story, lovely! And more 'grown up'.. Which is what they are visualising.

It's not to say adults can't enjoy the alternative look but they will get frowned upon even more-so if they do it the younger way.. Flippy in-your-eyes boyish hair.
(even the more classic alternative looks are frowned upon unfortunately as well)

Sorry that is the best way I can word it :p, I hope you find somewhere that doesn't mind.

Aimskylove
March 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM
my hair isn't too long now (i want to get it down to my chin) but i was wondering how men in retail are treated with long hair. I'm 22 and my hair is a bit longer than most but i want it longer. I wake up each morning, shower, (put conditioner in it at least once a week), shave, blow dry, and straighten it. I take longer than most females (about an hour to get ready for work). Right now i work in retail, at wal-mart, and their so cool with my hair. it's a part of my personality i guess?

Do you think i can pull off longer hair? Also i'm trying to get a job in cellular sales. Do you think they'd accept hair down to chin level if it looked neat and clean?
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cf4fty&s=5

That link above is a recent pic of me

I work for tmobile. Yes they accept it as long as it is clean and neat. I worked with a guy that had dreads down his back but they were clean and neat and he always had it tied back :)

omgkfclolz
March 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I asked my friend who works for T Mobile if verizon is more strict on that type of stuff and he said yes, but i hope not. :/