PDA

View Full Version : Natural Remedies while breastfeeding?

belya
March 23rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
I was "" this close to buying catnip for my split ends and horribly sad hair. I went through 36 pages of posts before I realized that it really isn't recommended for use during breastfeeding or pregnancy. But now I am really confused as to what to use or try. I have used soap nuts for my last two washes, and just now found out as well that they aren't really recommended. I am currently breastfeeding and a few months (...?) away from 'thinking' of the next one. My hair is in the hormonal - let's all fall off and be ridiculously split stage of life.

I would like to use some type of natural method to cleanse and help my hair to better health. I tried apple cider vinegar and baking soda for a short period of time (about 3 weeks) but it ended up being extremely oily - thickly so. I didn't clarify before I did this however, and my showers are extremely hurried and haphazard. So, I did not really follow any technique other than squirting it on my hair and rinsing it out, probably not very well. My hair at the time felt a lot better, except for being so oily.

So, does anyone have any advice as to what I should try next? I am using some 2 in 1 shampoo every couple of days which doesn't really seem to clean my hair and doesn't condition the length at all... I have read a few different threads - coconut oil+shampoo, aloe vera..... and it always seems like YMMV.... am I just going to try until something works?

I currently have lemon, aloe vera gel (clear), apple cider vinegar, baking soda... I'm not sure what to do, my hair is falling out, it is split and very dry at the ends. I cut it during my pregnancy - about 12 inches - and it hasn't quite grown back to where it was, but it is by far much thinner and not as healthy.

Anyways, sorry for such a long post - not sure where to look next or what to try.
Thank you for any suggestions!

Amber_Maiden
March 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Ok... I'm going to say something many people will not like, but which is true-
There is always going to be something you use which others will tell you is not safe during pregnancy/breastfeeding, etc. Unless you are dying your hair, taking drugs, or drinking,etc I don't think you have much to be worried about.

Herbs, some herbs are toxic- catnip hasn't been studied enough to be conclusive on if it is indeed bad for you during breastfeeding. I use it, and I think about it this way- I'm NOT eating it. I'm not leaving it on my head for an excessive amount of time- I'm dipping the ends of my hair in it. My hair can't drink it and put it in my body. Also, when it come sot soap nuts, I'd probably keep using them- because I'm washing my hair with them- not eating them, and I'm washing them out of my hair, not leaving them in my hair. Understand?

I think there are some things you need to be worried about- these two things are not on that list.

holothuroidea
March 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm a breastfeeding mom, too. I wouldn't worry about catnip or soap nuts as long as you are not using them internally (gross! lol) or in very high concentration.

There are a lot of herbs that are "not recommended" because there is little to no research done on them and the "experts" figure that the benefit-to-risk ratio tips in favor of not using it, but their calculation of that ratio generally assesses no benefit to using herbs for any purpose.

If you want more info about how herb safety is assessed for breast feeding mothers you can read up on it at kellymom.com. (http://kellymom.com/category/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/)

Maktub
March 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
I agree with the two comments above... and I wanted to add that "mainstream" products have ingredients that are not recommended either... and often much less so. Use caution, but I think we shouldn't be paranoid either, especially for herbs that have been used for hundreds of years but have not been "lab" tested yet in regards of pregnancy specifically.

belya
March 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the responses. Sometimes it is just so overwhelming to decide what is okay, and what isn't. I was going to try catnip not only on my ends but also on my scalp and face because of very dry skin. I think I was almost wishing for a magical remedy that would help everything and wouldn't have any warnings for use. I suppose it doesn't hurt to continue to research and then decide from there - it is true the amounts entering my body would be minimal!

Katze
March 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM
What are you trying for? More moisturized hair? Less shedding? Do you use leave-ins? Have you tried oiling? SMTs?

For me (fine haired wavy) SMTs always work well. During breastfeeding, the issue was finding the TIME to do them. :silly:

I am personally a fan of low-maintenance hair help, and since where I live catnip is not easily available, I have never tried it. As a mom, I have better things to do than spend hours fussing with my hair!

I lost over half my hair starting when my DD, now 3, was about 3 months old. It was horrible - every time I touched my hair, handfuls came out. Biotin, started several months later, really helped slow and eventually stop the shedding.

Leave-ins are my favorite for preventing splits, though I do just seem to get splits no matter what I do (and S and D, will microtrim now if I have to, since I finally like my hemline).

good luck!

belya
March 24th, 2012, 04:41 PM
What are you trying for? More moisturized hair? Less shedding? Do you use leave-ins? Have you tried oiling? SMTs?

I guess I am really trying to find a low maintenance way to stop the incredible shedding, split ends, dry ends, & dry and itchy scalp with greasy hair. I used to use coconut oil on the length of my hair, but I fell off of that wagon, and I am not sure if the shampoo I was using at the time worked well with that. I have a leave in conditioner - can't recall who makes it. Smells great and de-tangles my hair... but it is so expensive I find myself not using it. I think my hair has changed - there seems to be a lot more frizzes up top and I'm actually wondering if the baby hairs are actually almost curly....!

Anyways, cheap and easy to maintain, but natural products are what I am looking for. :)

belya
March 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Leave-ins are my favorite for preventing splits, though I do just seem to get splits no matter what I do (and S and D, will microtrim now if I have to, since I finally like my hemline).

good luck!

How do you s & d? I've never really done that, actually quite afraid the last 10 inches will just altogether disappear...?