PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to oil hair?

MissHair
March 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Yet another oiling question. Hope you can bare with me. :p So I've olied my hair on regular basis for a few months now and it seems it's not making a difference.

For one, I think coconut is drying it out and making it coarse so I do prefer Avocado or Moroccan oil instead. But which is better, oiling on damp hair or dry hair? Oiling whilst dry you can oil your hair basically 24/7 and keep it moisturised all the time but I've heard oiling on dry hair is bad? Which is true?

Right now Im sitting here with damp ends and oiling overnight to soften my ends.

Madora
March 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
MissHair, I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of hair you have and what kind of oil you use.

If you're having problems with dryness, then perhaps you might find Ktani's Mineral Oil article interesting:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Personally, I believe it is important to not only protect the outside of the strands, but also to protect the hair from the inside..i.e. using mineral oil to trap moisture inside the strands.

MissHair
March 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
I'll have a look. Thank you Madora!

spidermom
March 24th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I like generously oiling the night (or an hour or so) before I wash it. Oiling damp, clean hair attracts lint and dust and makes my hair much more tangly than it would otherwise be.