PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* my hair has thinned... need support.

ArienEllariel
March 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
So I haven't been around the boards a lot lately but I figured I would share with you all and hopefully get some hugs if not a little advice.

Long story short, I've been having various health problems for almost 4 years now. The latest is possible PCOS and Endometriosis; something hormonally is definately out of whack for sure and I still don't know what it is. As far as I know it isn't thyroid related but something is making my hair thinner. I'm not getting bald spots, just overall thinning. It's so frustrating. :( And on top of that I'm gettign some sort of flakey psoriasis type thing going on. I'm not washing my hair as often as that seems to irritate the problem. I have noticed using a little oil with tea tree oil added in seems to help to some extent with the flaking and subsequent itching. The itching turns to scabs and lovely bloody red spots.

I just really feel bummed y'all... I'm young with thinning hair full of large flakes and scabs. Doesn't that sound lovely? :rolleyes: Tis so frustrating. *weeps*

Hollyfire3
March 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
HUGS for you! I wish i had tips to help, all i can say is good luck and i hope you get all of it figured out!!!:kitten: and a kitten for you, to help you along the way.

HintOfMint
March 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
:grouphug:

No advice, just sympathy. Hang in there, hopefully the docs will sort everything out and then it is just a matter of patience until everything grows back.

dulce
March 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
As a fellow PCOS er,try a very lo carb,no suger ,hi fibre ,high protein diet.Add omegas to your diet.That will really reduce your insulin which will reduce the testosterone which will help your hair.Afraid I know knothing about psoriasis.

HumanBean
March 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
I have PCOS also. Never had hair thinning, but weight and skin and infertility issues. I echo the low carb advice overall since insulin is the master hormone and problems with insulin regulation affect everything. Also, although its not for everyone, there are medications that can help.

einna
March 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hugs for you! How about omega 3 supplements? Should be good for skin and has anti-inflaming (or something, dont know the english word for it) effects. But consult your doctor before you try anything new. Hope you get good help for your health problems!

holothuroidea
March 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
You will get through this! You are young yet, your great hair days are not over.

:grouphug:

I don't have any experience with your specific issues but you will sort it out eventually. Get whatever help you need.

Try not to think so much about the hair you have lost but instead focus on the hairs that remain. This helps me when I'm feeling like my hair is thin.

Good luck! :flower:

turtlelover
March 23rd, 2012, 08:03 PM
I've struggled w/ PCOS, too -- my hair issues have improved from a very low carb, high fat diet and taking a lot of supplements. Things CAN get better -- try not to panic! (I know....easier said than done!)

JLeighs
March 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
I've struggled w/ PCOS, too -- my hair issues have improved from a very low carb, high fat diet and taking a lot of supplements. Things CAN get better -- try not to panic! (I know....easier said than done!)

I don't have PCOS, but my hair also improved greatly when I went low-carb high-fat about 4 years ago. In the last year I also added omega 3 supplements, which also helped.

ArienEllariel
March 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Pretty much my diet right now is mostly fruits and vegetables, very little added sugar, some protein, and very little bread. It's been very hard for me to lose weight so I've been avoiding added fats and mostly eating low fat cheeses and such for my dairy. I don't know much about PCOS at the moment. Hoping my new gyno will fill me in on it if he determines that's one of the issues going on with me.

And honestly I don't really know what is making my scalp freak out. It could be psoriasis or something else. I'm just guessing. I'm less depressed feeling today so trying to continue looking on the bright side.

My dad gave me some nasty, stinky, 'smells like an automobile shop dipped in a tar pit' shampoo to try. Of course it has SLS in it which I avoid like the plague usually. While my scalp has stopped the itching for now, it dried my hair out really bad so I had to coat my entire head with conditioner. I figure if this stuff does work... I'll try using it only once a week, maybe twice a week at most. Why on earth does Coal Tar shampoo have to smell so bad? I'd seriously rather rub a wet dog on my head. lol

Right now my regular doctor doesn't want me on Omega-3 suppliments as I get migraines and they can exacerbate the issue.

Katze
March 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear you are going through this. No concrete advice, just good thoughts and hopes for improvement for you. :flower:

As a fellow PCOS er,try a very lo carb,no suger ,hi fibre ,high protein diet.Add omegas to your diet.That will really reduce your insulin which will reduce the testosterone which will help your hair.Afraid I know knothing about psoriasis.

A good friend had PCOS and this has REALLY helped her. Her hair was seriously thinning - it is normal, long, and pretty now.

good luck to you!

janeytilllie
March 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I don't have advice but plently of hugs :grouphug: xx

Pinkster8
March 24th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Sorry, no advice, but I also have endometriosis. My hair has thinned, whether from that or the BC I'm not sure, but you're not alone! I hope the hair loss stops and your scalp feels better. An irritated scalp is never fun :(

Hope you get things figured out and feel better. Hugs!

HerbalAnnie
March 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM
The thing that caught my eye is that you're cutting out a lot of fat from your diet. Dietary fats are your body's lubricant and your skin condition could be exacerbated by the lack of dietary fat. You also are eating a lot of sugar in the fruits which can contribute to imbalance. Fruit is good, but it shouldn't be the major component of your diet. Add more lean meats, cold water fish, olive or canola oil, nuts, and non-starchy vegetables to your diet. Fish oil or flaxseed oil supplements are very beneficial. Watch your Omega 6 intake - those oils are inflammatory.

I don't have PCOS but was recently diagnosed Type II diabetic. I went low carb and have lost 30 pounds. I have a lot of inflammatory skin issues which seem to have calmed somewhat since changing my diet. I even read the latest Atkins book (I used to laugh at people who did Atkins) which has helped me reorganize my eating habits.

I'm sure it looks bleak right now, but in a few months you'll have a lot of these issues worked out and things will look better.

sashinka22
March 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM
i hear ya. i have the same problem for five years bc of health issue that related to the vitamins absorption in my body.. so it's really weak and shed all the time and feel absolutely dead. i hate it so much and that's the reason i started to perm...
he lost any kind of shape.
i started a few months ago low carb diet. also i plan to take hair vitamins to try make things better so i really suggest for you to try and search for something bad in your diet, maybe your'e sensetive to something, and improve overall nutrient + doing a lot of sport, this is really helps circulate the blood all over, the head and scalp also, bringing there all the good things. it really helped me but now i can't do it bc i was diagnosed with FMS two years ago :\

goodluck girl, i believe you and me are young and will have the chance to get the hair we want so much, focus on the good things you can do and you'll feel it's worth it.

swearnsue
March 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time.Wish I could help, but I'm thinking of you.