PDA

View Full Version : undamaging hair styling products--does such a thing exist?

aquadreamer
March 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I am very good with not heat styling my hair to prevent damage, and I very rarely use styling products, fearing that the alcohol in them will damage my hair. However, the last time I had my hair trimmed at the salon, the stylist told me that if I pick carefully, there are many undamaging hair styling gels/creams/waxes/lotions. Really? I know he is a hairstylist, so he is probably not the most neutral person, but he did not try to sell me anything, so I think he did have some credibility. He said that a lot of hair pomades and waxes do not contain alcohol, and therefore, are not damaging. This sounds almost too good to be true. I have very flat/sleek baby-fine hair with almost no volume. It would be nice to be able to use some volumizing products, or hair waxes to get a cleaner hairline sometimes. :)

In your experience, has there been any hair styling products that you have used that did not damage your hair?

maborosi
March 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
In terms of something that styled hair well without damage that gels and sprays can cause, I've found that using butters is a good alternative. I use Nightblooming's Panacea on my boyfriend's hair to help smooth it (he has rather curly hair) and it looks good- plus, it's ultra-nourishing and good for your hair! It might be able to style your hair, too, who knows?

I have also heard good things said about aloe vera gel.

Good luck!

~maborosi~

lapushka
March 23rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
I have some gels that do not contain alcohol (Eco Styler, LA Looks, IC Fantasia) and as far as I can see they don't damage my hair. They haven't damaged it so far. I use to use gels that did contain alcohol and they were very drying (and flaky). Nobody wants that on their hair!

kdaniels8811
March 23rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Check out Nightbloom and Toadstool Soaps, both on Etsy.com. They both have all natural hair and skin products and I would highly recommend either one. Good luck

styric
March 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
I second and third the recommendation for Panacea. It's a great sealant, defrizzer, moisturizer and protectant. Triple Moon Oil is also fabulous for slip and detangling. It's a bit grippy so won't give you the slippy smooth feeling that coney products will give you, however once your hair dries it's amazing.

If your hair likes cones, a high quality coney serum won't go wrong as long as you apply to WET hair (not dry) and you make sure it doesn't build up. I find applying them to dry hair causes some damage, while wet hair mitigates the drying effect, at least for me.

Just make sure your hair is very moisturized and happy before you apply! It seals it, so if your hair is dry under it.. well you just sealed in unhappy hair and it'll be even more unhappy afterwards.

celebriangel
March 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Styling products can be non-damaging - but even if they're alcohol-free, still be wary of gel and particularly hairspray, which patially do their job by sticking hairs together. Please wash these out, don't brush them out, or the stuck-together hairs might break.

I don't see the harm in for example mousse or wax, thought, if there aren't any drying ingredients.

Hollyfire3
March 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Styling products can be non-damaging - but even if they're alcohol-free, still be wary of gel and particularly hairspray, which patially do their job by sticking hairs together. Please wash these out, don't brush them out, or the stuck-together hairs might break.

I don't see the harm in for example mousse or wax, thought, if there aren't any drying ingredients.

If mousse sticks your hair together, can you carefully comb it out? Mine does this sometimes, i am always worried i am damaging my hair.

SoulOfTheSea
March 23rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
I really love coconut oil, you can use a little bit on dry hair to smooth frizz and make your hair soft and shiny, or use a lot for a deep treatment. It makes my hair really soft and amazing!

ETA: Woop- you were looking for a styling product. I am gonna say what everyone else has mainly said- watch out for those drying alcohols. My best styling product I ever purchased was the Tresemme No-Frizz Spray- you could use that before you flat-iron, before you damp braid, etc. and it never damaged my hair, only left it smelling good and looking shiny! I also like Citre Shine's Anti-Frizz serum as well, for the ingredients are minimal and the silicones in it are water soluble. Plus it has sunscreen!