PDA

View Full Version : Curling thick straight hair

monichella
March 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
My hairtype is 1a/b G iii, so my hair is very hard to curl (without heat). I've tried several methods (braids, twists, socks, loepsie's way and so on), on almost wet or dry hair, with or without aloe vera gel, but the result is always a delusion. Has got anyone of you my same hairtype and can suggest me something to curl my hair well without damaging it?
Thank you!

ladonna
March 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
My hairtype is 1a/b G iii, so my hair is very hard to curl (without heat). I've tried several methods (braids, twists, socks, loepsie's way and so on), on almost wet or dry hair, with or without aloe vera gel, but the result is always a delusion. Has got anyone of you my same hairtype and can suggest me something to curl my hair well without damaging it?
Thank you!
have you tried caruso steam cutlers? My hair is getting straighter the longer it gro:rolleyes:ws but if I use the small cutler then I have nice curls, I have to leave then in for at least an hour.

midsummernight
March 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
I dont have any tips but I have to sat your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!! WOW!

monichella
March 23rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
ladonna, I'm really sorry but I didn't understand what caruso steam cutlers should be... (I googled before asking)! May you post a picture?

midsummernight: thank you very much :*

aisha.christine
March 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think she meant curlers. :)

ladonna
March 23rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Yes curlers, sometimes I don't see the auto corrections:o

Diamond.Eyes
March 23rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
The small rubber, bendable rollers that are sold at Sally's, or the ones made by Conair work very well for obtaining tight, natural looking, Taylor Swift-like curls. I section my hair into four sections; down the center of the head then again behind the ears and apply a curler to each section of my hair. I twist the hair away from my face then secure the ends with a scrunchie or a clip and sleep with all if that inside of a silk sleep cap. I get really awesome results. My hair was too straight and heavy for the Caruso Steam Setters. The curls would be gone within about two hours. I've really been meaning to make a tutorial on this method, and I think I will when I have time :hmm:. Here is what the curlers look like:
http://images.addoway.com/items/6257/827325/6257_3_c03c80.jpg

maborosi
March 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
monichella, your hair is absolutely beautiful!

I wish I had some advice. My sister has the same problem as you do- her hair is super thick and coarse and doesn't like to hold a curl. Hopefully you'll find something that'll help you out! :flower:

~maborosi~

spidermom
March 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
My niece has relentlessly straight hair, and we had the most success with rag-curling. It lasted almost half a day!

BlazingHeart
March 24th, 2012, 12:12 AM
My hair is waiver than yours, but trying to curl my hair is more or less a lost cause. The curls will fall our within a couple of hours unless they are hairsprayed within an inch of their lives.

Diamond.Eyes
March 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Here is a tutorial I made :flower::
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=99317#comments

missdelarocha
March 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I would think the key would be not curling it like somebody with less dense hair... ie using much smaller sections and also smaller rods/curlers that what you think you would want/need because I feel it will just relax out into the curls you want.

I think if it is wetter to start with then that's better, but it would take longer to dry considering your thickness, hth :o.

auburntressed
March 26th, 2012, 12:43 AM
It seems like my hair is fairly close to yours, OP. The main difference is that I can never tell for sure if my hair is coarse or medium coarse. Heh. I've never had any luck truly curling my hair, either. The only thing that has been mentioned that I have not tried is what diamond.eyes suggested. I'd go for that, if I were you, and see how it works.