PDA

View Full Version : Tongue-Tied in the Salon Chair

HintOfMint
March 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Anybody get this? The night before my haircut, every morning in between haircuts, the morning of my haircut, I know what I want.

When I sit down, I have no idea how to explain what I want! I forget what I even want! I just get tongue tied. Even when I bring in pictures. It's so weird.

Anybody else get this? Or am I the only one?:o

CarpeDM
March 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
I think they call that fear. At least that is what happens to me, I get so nervous that my hair will end up on the wrong side of things, my mind just goes blank...

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Maybe alongside bringing in a picture, make up a 3X5 card with the talking points on it. If you must, just write it all out on a giant card and hand the paper or card over when you take your seat.

There's no real reason to be afraid of a hairstylist. They love to talk, I find. Maybe they've lied to me, but I rather doubt that. They seem like fairly chatty people for the most part.

heidi w.

misspriss
March 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
I used to, but then I found a good stylist. He's awesome. I just kind of tell him what I had in mind, and he makes it happen. I love my stylist, too bad I only see him every 6 months to 2 years, or more.

spidermom
March 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
I think I get sharper in the stylist chair. I want to know every. single. thing. she is doing.

KaasKnot
March 23rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Half the reason I decided to shave off what hair I had and start new was because I got so stressed going to the barber shop. I'd get so tense in the chair I'd ache walking out, and I would put off my haircuts for weeks until I was so shaggy I had to go.

So I decided it wasn't worth it, that I missed my long hair, and went clipper-happy. Now I've got an inch of virgin growth and no barber shop visits in my future. :)

XcaliburGirl
March 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I have the same problem. Or if I am able to articulate what I want, and the stylist disagrees, every other suggestion sounds good and I just agree. Then when I get home, I wonder what happened.

jacqueline101
March 23rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
I take a long pictures. That does help.

Pecheresse
March 23rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
haha totally know the feeling. it's like more painful emotionally than going to the dentist. ;)

Kitsu
March 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
I get this i take a good friend with me who doesn't afraid of anyone for when I freeze up

torrilin
March 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
My hair is long, fairly blunt cut (it takes WAY longer than 6 months of no trims for it to get non-blunt), and straight. It hasn't had a blow dryer touch it for about 10 years or so. I don't curl it. It gets washed and soaked in conditioner, and I go in to a stylist to do things like get my brows done and keep the splits at bay. If I want a new look, I do a different braid or updo.

If they suggest changing things, they're not paying attention. I love my hair for what it is good at, and trying to make it do things it's not good at is a lost cause.

I do take suggestions on my brows, and very happily too. My brows are pretty shaggy and bushy, and while I don't want them waxed so they look unnaturally thin, I do want a look that's cleaner than my natural one. And they are very obviously lopsided, so some adjustments must be made for the different hair growth patterns. I am perfectly happy to let a stylist go artistically nuts on my brows, because there fighting nature works a lot more.

I also find that brows are a good way to try someone out before they do my hair. You need to wax brows fairly often (for me, every 2-3 weeks), and it takes a lot more talking to work out the right brow shape. Plus it hurts. I want a stylist who is gentle and sympathetic, and the pain of doing brows will sort that out very quickly.

Zindell
March 24th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Or if I am able to articulate what I want, and the stylist disagrees, every other suggestion sounds good and I just agree. Then when I get home, I wonder what happened.

This.

THIS is why I stopped going to the salon and let my daughter trim my ends instead. I never managed to convince the hair stylist that I only wanted a straight trim. Not a "cut through allover the hair including taking too much".

My hair never grew long as long as I went to salons. Now it is growing on nicely. AND is healthier than ever before. :p