PDA

View Full Version : Sock buns....how?

Bagginslover
March 23rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
I get the theory, rolled up sock, wind hair up with it, but I just can't start the winding and have nice ends when I let it down again :(

How do you get all your ends tucked in, and not kinky?

I am going to a wedding in 2 weeks, and I'd like to have nice, no-heat curls for it ;)

littleizz
March 23rd, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'll try to explain how I do it, let me know if it makes absolutely no sense :)

Have you ever used rollers? That's how I begin my sock buns to keep all my ends in the same place. I bring my pony through the sock, rolling the hair onto one small section like it's a curler. Once all of the ends are tucked in and covered, THEN I begin fanning the rest of my hair out for the remainder of the rolls. Hope that makes sense!

Bagginslover
March 23rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
Ahh, see, I've been trying to fan my hair right from the beginning, perhaps thats where I'm going wrong..... Thanks!

Shesta
March 23rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Ok, and how do you girls keep layers at bay while rolling the sock?

Bagginslover
March 23rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
I have layers too......not thought of that as I've not yet gotten past trying to roll my ends!!

rock007junkie
March 23rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
I'll try to explain how I do it, let me know if it makes absolutely no sense :)

Have you ever used rollers? That's how I begin my sock buns to keep all my ends in the same place. I bring my pony through the sock, rolling the hair onto one small section like it's a curler. Once all of the ends are tucked in and covered, THEN I begin fanning the rest of my hair out for the remainder of the rolls. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks, this helps. I've been unsucessfully trying to start fanning right away.

whitedove
March 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Any suggestions on something other than socks to use. I dont own any socks that I want to cut to make this. I tried using 2 scrunchies and ended up with a totally different look, its kind of pony tail victory wings, secured with 2 pins and its stayed all day :) Guessing its protective as ends are tucked in loop.

afu
March 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
i find that i can fan and roll ok and the resultant bun comes out looking really nice, my ends don't look great when i take it out but i think thats due to the fact that my ends are a bit straggly and uneven in length so some ends get a bit folded when tucked in and some have a nice soft curl. It doesn't bother me much as i use the bun only as a bun and not to make curls.

Whitedove: ive heard of someone on here using legwarmers, but i think their use would depend a lot on hair thickness. if you've got a sponge you don't need, cut it into a donut shape and use that, or you can buy similar spongey/webbing type donuts specially for this use from shops

whitedove
March 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
i find that i can fan and roll ok and the resultant bun comes out looking really nice, my ends don't look great when i take it out but i think thats due to the fact that my ends are a bit straggly and uneven in length so some ends get a bit folded when tucked in and some have a nice soft curl. It doesn't bother me much as i use the bun only as a bun and not to make curls.

Whitedove: ive heard of someone on here using legwarmers, but i think their use would depend a lot on hair thickness. if you've got a sponge you don't need, cut it into a donut shape and use that, or you can buy similar spongey/webbing type donuts specially for this use from shops

Oh thats good thinking, I have an old car sponge about somewhere.

fridgee
March 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
For layers I find it helps to wrap that first bit (like roller as suggested) at the top of the donut (like 12 o clock) because then the layers get trapped against the sock straight away, whereas is you do it a 6 o clock they are hanging out and you have to make them tuck in halfway up and it really hard to make them stay! Hope that makes sense!!!

rock007junkie
March 23rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Any suggestions on something other than socks to use. I dont own any socks that I want to cut to make this. I tried using 2 scrunchies and ended up with a totally different look, its kind of pony tail victory wings, secured with 2 pins and its stayed all day :) Guessing its protective as ends are tucked in loop.

This is what I use
http://www.sallybeauty.com/mesh-chignon/FUSGRP01,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

TiffanieJean
March 23rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
1. Put your hair in a high ponytail. Use a scrunchy and keep the hold loose OR (this is what I do) after you do the ponytail take the scrunchy out and hold onto the ends of your hair (already nicely gathered) at the end.

If you do it the 2nd way you wont get a crease toward the top.

2. Roll up your hair that's already gathered up, starting a couple inches before the ends. Roll from the bottom section of the sock (still all together) and as you roll it will spread over the sides and front section of the bun.

If you didn't use a scrunchies, use a couple bobby pins to secure the bun.

Also, I have to blow dry my hair before putting it up to get it to look like my signature pic. If I put it up wet the curls are messy and less defined.

luxepiggy
March 23rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Your best bet is to make your own donut - then you can implement Piggy's Sockbun Start for Slippery/Straight hair! (^(oo)~)

Step by step instructions, with pictures:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?bt=531369#comment531369

fridgee
March 23rd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Your best bet is to make your own donut - then you can implement Piggy's Sockbun Start for Slippery/Straight hair! (^(oo)~)

Step by step instructions, with pictures:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?bt=531369#comment531369

Those are great instruction! Thanks! :flower: