PDA

View Full Version : How to style side swept bangs?

Zhennni(:
March 22nd, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone:) I have side swept bangs but they are always really flat or look weird:( I want to acheive bangs that kind of flip to the side, I know how to do it with a flat iron or a blow dryer, but is there any heat free or less damaging way of doing it? I really like this girl's bangs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkrLnB7fKc&list=UUGpH7xPzTTPPfy8F44UY_fA&index=2&feature=plcp

Zhennni(:
March 22nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
this is a better view http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRndQtVXyJdbakG5GJJGqb0Ltv2bfp_a DT4N6drluvo9EffuTrPT0ZLvKEW

is basically bangs that flips outwards to the side:p

SoulOfTheSea
March 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
I'm here to save the day! The trick is to either blow dry them to the opposite side that you want them to hang or after you wash your hair and it is wet, comb the bangs to the opposite side to dry, then switch them back over when they are dry. This makes them swoop just right! :)

HintOfMint
March 22nd, 2012, 10:52 PM
This is far from fool-proof, but I often take a headband, make a part and then swoop my bangs back but fluff them a bit in the front, so they're not flat against my head. When I take down the headband, and fingercomb the bangs down in front again, they usually have a good swoop. Keep in mind, I've never tried this on purpose and it almost always comes out decent, but it does vary. If you have something very specific in mind, like it HAS to look like that picture, then it probably has too high of a margin of error for your liking. But it works well enough for me.

When it comes to bangs though, I'm a heat girl unless I'm lazy.

Zhennni(:
March 22nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
I'm here to save the day! The trick is to either blow dry them to the opposite side that you want them to hang or after you wash your hair and it is wet, comb the bangs to the opposite side to dry, then switch them back over when they are dry. This makes them swoop just right! :)

This does give my bangs some volume but it doesnt give me the flipped out effect I'm looking for :/ thanks for the advice though:)

Zhennni(:
March 22nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=HintOfMint;2054370]This is far from fool-proof, but I often take a headband, make a part and then swoop my bangs back but fluff them a bit in the front, so they're not flat against my head. When I take down the headband, and fingercomb the bangs down in front again, they usually have a good swoop. Keep in mind, I've never tried this on purpose and it almost always comes out decent, but it does vary. If you have something very specific in mind, like it HAS to look like that picture, then it probably has too high of a margin of error for your liking. But it works well enough for me.

When it comes to bangs though, I'm a heat girl unless I'm lazy.[/QUOT

I don't quite understand what you did with the headband..o.o you swoop your bangs back so your forehead is showing and you place the headband on top of it? and I guess if nothing else works I'll just heat style it... I tirm my bangs often so I guess it wouldnt be that horrible

AnqeIicDemise
March 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
You know, if I weren't so damned lazy I'd use the blow dryer on my bangs. I mean, I trim those suckers every three to four weeks to keep them at the length of perfection, split ends never have the opportunity to even THINK about pouncing along the shaft.

But I'll be honest. I like to wake up ten minutes before I leave. It gives me enough time to use the bathroom, brush my teeth and change. I beat the traffic and then I have enough time to get 'presentable' in the car before heading into the office. (I get to work about half an hour before I'm supposed to. I get my hair and make up done in ten minutes and then I have another fifteen to enjoy a cup of coffee. )

Arya
March 22nd, 2012, 11:17 PM
Yeesh. I'm not a fan of that hairstyle, it screams "Donald Trump" to me.
AAAH AND SHE JUST RIPPED HER HAIR APART TO SEPARATE IT! YOU CAN HEAR THE HAIR BREAKING AHHH *cringe*
*closes tab*

ok. judgement aside.

Since she doesn't seem to be worried about damaging her hair, my bet is that she used that wand to curl her bangs (along with the rest of her hair), then brushed out the curl a bit, back combed the bangs a bit for grip.

What she definitely did do is made a super extra deep part, at the temple, and flipped all the hair over to the other side. Those are not all bangs that she flipped over, there's a good amount of non-bang hair that's swooped towards her face and then over towards her opposite temple for volume.

Some ideas for doing it without damage:

I might try it on second or third day-hair. I'd use some dry shampoo and then comb that out for volume. Dry shampoo will also give you slightly grippier hair. If you dont want to do it with 2nd or 3rd day hair, I'd say dry your bangs on a roller so they have some volume, brush out most of the curl, and then pin. My guess is that you'll need a hefty amount of hairspray to get that look.

If you have naturally slippery hair that is impossible to get volume into, you may not be able to do this without teasing/backcombing/heating/chemically damaging it into submission. If your hair slips out of pins easily you may have to back-comb your hair a tiny bit or curl it with some heat to get enough volume, or even use hairspray to give your hair some grip.

Zhennni(:
March 22nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
Yeesh. I'm not a fan of that hairstyle, it screams "Donald Trump" to me.
AAAH AND SHE JUST RIPPED HER HAIR APART TO SEPARATE IT! YOU CAN HEAR THE HAIR BREAKING AHHH *cringe*
*closes tab*

ok. judgement aside.

Since she doesn't seem to be worried about damaging her hair, my bet is that she used that wand to curl her bangs (along with the rest of her hair), then brushed out the curl a bit, back combed the bangs a bit for grip.

What she definitely did do is made a super extra deep part, at the temple, and flipped all the hair over to the other side. Those are not all bangs that she flipped over, there's a good amount of non-bang hair that's swooped towards her face and then over towards her opposite temple for volume.

Some ideas for doing it without damage:

I might try it on second or third day-hair. I'd use some dry shampoo and then comb that out for volume. Dry shampoo will also give you slightly grippier hair. If you dont want to do it with 2nd or 3rd day hair, I'd say dry your bangs on a roller so they have some volume, brush out most of the curl, and then pin. My guess is that you'll need a hefty amount of hairspray to get that look.

If you have naturally slippery hair that is impossible to get volume into, you may not be able to do this without teasing/backcombing/heating/chemically damaging it into submission. If your hair slips out of pins easily you may have to back-comb your hair a tiny bit or curl it with some heat to get enough volume, or even use hairspray to give your hair some grip.

She uses a blow dryer to acheive that kind of bangs actually:P I know how to do it with a flat iron also but I was just wondering if there were other ways to acheive that:P I never tried drying my bangs in a roller, I might try that thanks :) My hair is actually not slippery, but its coarse and hard to style :(

Zhennni(:
March 22nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
Going off topic here but that girl was voted "best hair" in the whole school :P I think people in real life ( majority of them) don't really care about damaging their hair or not, they do whatever to make it look nice:p I see alot of girls who curl / heat style their hair very often and their hair dont look that bad. For me I notice their split ends if I look closely but others who don't care about hair doesn't notice the damage:P

SoulOfTheSea
March 22nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
This does give my bangs some volume but it doesnt give me the flipped out effect I'm looking for :/ thanks for the advice though:)

Mkay, it just works for some people, and for others not I guess. Good luck! :flower:

Arya
March 23rd, 2012, 01:23 AM
She uses a blow dryer to acheive that kind of bangs actually:P I know how to do it with a flat iron also but I was just wondering if there were other ways to acheive that:P I never tried drying my bangs in a roller, I might try that thanks :) My hair is actually not slippery, but its coarse and hard to style :(

If your hair is coarse, you should be alright, then. Use dry shampoo and /or rollers for a little extra volume, like you get with heat. Hairspray will help too, if you find it's less damaging than heat (up for debate).

Are you making your part deep enough? It looks to be about at her temple, and she's definitely using more hair than just her bangs. Are you pulling it too tight when you pin, or not swooping it forward enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irn2B_GKEI

Allychan
March 23rd, 2012, 02:30 AM
You know, if I weren't so damned lazy I'd use the blow dryer on my bangs. I mean, I trim those suckers every three to four weeks to keep them at the length of perfection, split ends never have the opportunity to even THINK about pouncing along the shaft.

But I'll be honest. I like to wake up ten minutes before I leave. It gives me enough time to use the bathroom, brush my teeth and change. I beat the traffic and then I have enough time to get 'presentable' in the car before heading into the office. (I get to work about half an hour before I'm supposed to. I get my hair and make up done in ten minutes and then I have another fifteen to enjoy a cup of coffee. )

Classic. This just made me laugh with images of a female Mr Bean in my head

missdelarocha
March 23rd, 2012, 03:12 AM
Well... The first video to me personally is not desirable but it looks to me like when I push my hair back off of my face and the layers fall horizontally, my fringe is quite long and not as deeply parted but I would just try drying them in a velcro roller away from your face (making a quiff type thing with it) then just letting it fall/push back and flick to the side.
The other photo looks like your bangs do in your avatar, very nice :).

I'm not sure what your problem is with the straightener, I can understand if you just don't like/want to use heat at all but usually the damage is not a problem because the hair in a fringe is so short and frequently cut.

XcaliburGirl
March 23rd, 2012, 06:52 AM
Hi everyone:) I have side swept bangs but they are always really flat or look weird:( I want to acheive bangs that kind of flip to the side, I know how to do it with a flat iron or a blow dryer, but is there any heat free or less damaging way of doing it? I really like this girl's bangs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkrLnB7fKc&list=UUGpH7xPzTTPPfy8F44UY_fA&index=2&feature=plcp
My bangs can look that way, though sometimes they "swoop" a bit more. It's kind of counter-intuitive because I comb the my bangs back instead of over my forehead. I think that's where the volume comes from.

I part my hair, then comb the bangs back at an angle. It's as if I was going to comb it straight back into a ponytail, but I angle out a bit, probably about 45 degrees. As they air dry, they start to flip back over my forehead and I finger comb them a little so they don't dry too crazy. This works best if I add some spray wax while it is still wet.

If your hair is a different texture and length than mine, this might not work.

Good luck!

HintOfMint
March 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=HintOfMint;2054370]This is far from fool-proof, but I often take a headband, make a part and then swoop my bangs back but fluff them a bit in the front, so they're not flat against my head. When I take down the headband, and fingercomb the bangs down in front again, they usually have a good swoop. Keep in mind, I've never tried this on purpose and it almost always comes out decent, but it does vary. If you have something very specific in mind, like it HAS to look like that picture, then it probably has too high of a margin of error for your liking. But it works well enough for me.

When it comes to bangs though, I'm a heat girl unless I'm lazy.[/QUOT

I don't quite understand what you did with the headband..o.o you swoop your bangs back so your forehead is showing and you place the headband on top of it? and I guess if nothing else works I'll just heat style it... I tirm my bangs often so I guess it wouldnt be that horrible

Yes, I put the headband on top of the bangs, covering the ends of the bangs, but not the roots. Basically where you would normally place a headband (not immediately at the hairline, but further back)