PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with fuzzy hair! Tempted to flat-iron, pic inside

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM

Bunnysaur
March 22nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Honestly, you probably just need a little more moisture...
I've never had a chance to try an SMT so I can't really recommend one, but my hair gets like that sometimes and I use a few drops of argan oil. Or shea butter.

ludwig20
March 22nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
I'm having the same issue. Have you switched to a new shampoo? (I have and I'm starting to think that may be attributing to the problem.)

Or it could be that our hair needs more moisture. :shrug:

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 08:54 PM

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM

cheetahfast
March 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
In my experience using heat tools on hair makes it frizzy or frizzier. Ever since I chopped my hair and quit using that stuff I haven't had much frizz...and I'm a curly, so trust me I used to get it a lot.

cubedcoley
March 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
DONT DO THE HEAT!! Here is the link for the SMT recipe.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Also, remember, if you oil, especially don't do heat. You will literally FRY your hair. You can apply coconut oil on wet hair, then lightly blow-fry, but no flat irons or curling irons. If you use coconut oil on your hair then apply some warm air, it will drive the lauric acid into the hair cuticle. That might solve some of your problem. BUT, I would try the SMT first. Those have done wonders for my hair. Also, I have major frizz and fly away when I use shampoo so I am exclusively COing it for now.... LOTS TO TRY, BUT DO ONE THING AT A TIME!!! :flowers:

manderly
March 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Do you typically wear your hair in a ponytail at that area? If so, it may take some time and TLC to get that spot to calm down due to previous damage.

I would suggest moisture as the others have already suggested, and finding another way to put your hair up while you do some rehab :)

Honestly, it just looks like a little wave pattern from your photo. I know it bothers you, but no one is walking behind your back and saying "OMG Becky, look at her hair, it is SOOOOO fried" Hehehe :) We're our own worst critics. :flower:

Honestwitness
March 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
hairgoals, your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Don't let those few less-than-sleek hairs bother you. As I was growing out my hair, I kept noticing the same thing. But, I learned it was because my hair is naturally wavy. All along, I had thought it was naturally straight. It's just that, the wave pattern of my hair is very long and it took my hair becoming long to find out there was natural waviness. I changed from using heat tools and used spray bottles of water and styling gel to experiment with scrunching in waves on purpose. I found a whole new me.

Vanille_
March 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
If you have a little bit of wave like me, you may be suffering from 1a envy. I know I am. My hair isn't wavy enough to look great and I wish it was straight enough to be 1a. I think we obsess about getting that stick straight hair a lot.

Have you tried CWC or even just switched up conditioners? When I CWC with Herbal Essence Touchably Smooth, I got pretty straight hair and that middle section looked smoothed out.

Now I use Chi Silk Infusion after my hair naturally dries. I run a blow dryer quickly through my dry hair, adding the Chi as need. This gets a smooth look like my avatar. At least some days, some times my hair is just stubborn.

Good luck!

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 09:34 PM

Lunarise
March 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hey! Your hair type is pretty much like mine. :) I get the same thing and I don't use any cones/ heat styling or anything. Is it humid where you live right now? Mine gets like that really bad when the weather changes.

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM

manderly
March 22nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
It looks like the spot where you'd start your bun :) Just start changing it up, wear your buns slightly higher and slightly lower every day and it'll smooth out....but as others have said, it could also be the beginning of your wave pattern. That's a pretty typical start point that many 1s fret about until you get longer and a pattern emerges.

Good luck :flower:

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 09:58 PM

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM

hairgoals
March 22nd, 2012, 10:13 PM

HintOfMint
March 22nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
If you have a little bit of wave like me, you may be suffering from 1a envy. I know I am. My hair isn't wavy enough to look great and I wish it was straight enough to be 1a. I think we obsess about getting that stick straight hair a lot.

Have you tried CWC or even just switched up conditioners? When I CWC with Herbal Essence Touchably Smooth, I got pretty straight hair and that middle section looked smoothed out.

Now I use Chi Silk Infusion after my hair naturally dries. I run a blow dryer quickly through my dry hair, adding the Chi as need. This gets a smooth look like my avatar. At least some days, some times my hair is just stubborn.

Good luck!

Sorry for the thread hijack, but when you use the blow dryer is it on warm? How long do you use it? Do you use a brush to straighten it? Have you seen any damage? Sorry for the series of questions but I'm really missing heat but I really don't want the damage at all. I should know better, I've railed against heat for years, and I know what it does, but I'm wondering if very limited warmth would be not damaging, just enough to work some product in my hair.

Silverbrumby
March 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
This is my frizzy mess I deal with each day. I 'think' I'm trying to make you feel better but still, great advice here and I'll check it out.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9886&pictureid=129399

(did this link thing work?)

Vanille_
March 22nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack, but when you use the blow dryer is it on warm? How long do you use it? Do you use a brush to straighten it? Have you seen any damage? Sorry for the series of questions but I'm really missing heat but I really don't want the damage at all. I should know better, I've railed against heat for years, and I know what it does, but I'm wondering if very limited warmth would be not damaging, just enough to work some product in my hair.

I use the warm setting, yes. I try not to leave it on one area for long. I constantly keep moving it, not stopping on one spot. I also pull my hair to the side and use a brush and run the dryer down the length, with the brush on the other side. I don't spend more than a couple of minutes on this - maybe three.

I also only do this when I know my hair is going to be down. I don't wash my hair every day, so I don't need to do it between washes since I use a sleep cap.

I haven't noticed any damage. But then, I only do it about once a week or so. I can't see how two-three minutes of blow frying will cause too much damage. For me, I don't just want length - I want it to look good too. I don't do anything else that is damaging.

My hair looks healthier to me when I do it. I'm not saying it is healthier, but I just think it looks nicer.

sfgirl
March 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
I agree with more oisture. Or, if you're pro-cones, they could smooth it out too.

xoxophelia
March 23rd, 2012, 01:18 AM
Well, it looks like perfectly normal hair to me. My guess is that you aren't working with your wave. Perhaps try washing it, gently pat in a little leave in (or a dime sized amount of aloe vera gel mixed with about two drops of oil), very gently finger comb into place and then let it air dry without touching it. You may find you have more natural body wave than you are getting right now. That is the method I used to get my sig pic and it gives pretty frizz free results if I actually follow it.

lapushka
March 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Well, it looks like perfectly normal hair to me.

Looks normal to me too. You can rest assured your hair's doing just fine. Trust me, frizz looks far worse than this.

spidermom
March 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Your hair looks pretty to me.

Most of us with less than perfectly straight hair have shorter and lighter hairs that kind of float around on the surface. It's just new hairs that don't have much weight on them yet.

xoxophelia
March 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Looks normal to me too. You can rest assured your hair's doing just fine. Trust me, frizz looks far worse than this.

Yeah.. my version of frizzy hair is: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/OhKerrin/pictures/personal/992382/

That is actually pretty accurate to what it can do in humid weather if brushed out (otherwise it looks like waves with little sproingy hairs defying gravity because I guess they all want to be Broadway performers.. my hair's theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMBcTGJ4YM)

Ok that is enough links ^^'

lapushka
March 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah.. my version of frizzy hair is: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/OhKerrin/pictures/personal/992382/

That looks so familiar to me! :lol:

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
First, this photo shows almost no evidence of frizz. flyaway, static, poof or any such thing. I don't see a remarkable difference in terms of shine comparing the top of hair and ends to the middle of the overall length.

I see no reason whatsoever to flat iron, at all.

Maybe the best thing is just to use a bit more conditioner, or just in general condition better.

This picture shows fairly nice hair that's a great starter kit for acquiring longer length eventually. Don't undo your progress.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM

That is actually pretty accurate to what it can do in humid weather if brushed out (otherwise it looks like waves with little sproingy hairs defying gravity because I guess they all want to be Broadway performers.. my hair's theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMBcTGJ4YM)

Ok that is enough links ^^'

I wonder that this mess wasn't created with backcombing???

I have noticed that Jennifer Lopez occasionally shows up with backcombed hair. On Que Viva, which I can't get the surprise mark in English upside down, but oh well...., the stylists backcomb the front of her hair to make it look she has more hair than she actually has. And to my eyes it just looks like a rats nest. She actually has fairly pretty hair if it were left alone. But no, we have to undo and then make stuff up to make it fashionable. Craziness.

But comparatively speaking with the OPs picture given, this above linked photo is more like what frizz looks like. The OP is not experiencing frizz that I can actually see in the picture she offered us. It looks pretty tame. Maybe she could oil the length. I posted a youtube video of how I oil, that may be helpful to her?

Here's a link of you want to take a peek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Your hair looks pretty to me.

Most of us with less than perfectly straight hair have shorter and lighter hairs that kind of float around on the surface. It's just new hairs that don't have much weight on them yet.

I read the OP post over a few times to see if she may have been describing, in fact, new hair growth. I didn't necessarily pick up on that, but it remains a possiblity. And the last thing one wants to do with new growth is resolve "the issue" by flat ironing. Good Heavens!!

heidi w.

xoxophelia
March 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
I wonder that this mess wasn't created with backcombing???

I'm not sure, it is possible. My hair can do a pretty similar thing in very high humidity. Actually, maybe it won't this summer. I found seriously decreasing the amount I shampoo and using more oil has helps a lot in the regard (not totally though..)

Annibelle
March 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Your hair looks fab to me, but it could be that your camera isn't picking up the fuzz-- mine usually doesn't. My hair has serious frizz problems (just the top layer, and, like you, not the roots or ends), but you can hardly ever see it in photos.

jacqueline101
March 23rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
I'd try argan oil it helped my frizzy hair.

newbeginning
March 23rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
My hair gets frizzy, especially with humidity. I understand your frustration. Conditioning (I use CWC) and coconut oil help with my frizz. The tangle teaser smooths my hair too. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself.