PDA

View Full Version : Bangs Pics and Questions

DakarNick
March 22nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
I cut DW's bangs for her. Before and after pics are below. I posted two but there are five more in the album.

http://community.webshots.com/album/575407589IyVipN?vhost=community&action=refreshPhotos&albumID=575407589&security=IyVipN

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/48120/2178441430064685427S425x425Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2178441430064685427jbYudg)

http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/48221/2974748700064685427S425x425Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2974748700064685427fExoHW)

She had been talking about cutting some length off to get rid of the dry split ends. During a little argument I was out of the house and she cut her hair herself (due to wanting to cut anyway, and also since she was mad at me) much to my surprise when I got home! She trimmed the ends and also cut in lip-length bangs. This was three weeks ago.

Tuesday after our talk about birth control (see Friendship Forum) I convinced her blunt bangs would really look good and that her self-haircut was a little uneven.

So, she let me trim her length and cut her lip-length bangs even shorter.

Before pics are from February 2012 and November 2011 respectively. Bathroom bangs shots are from Tuesday the 20th. The last one, my favorite, was from yesterday at lunch.

Kari does have a face in real life, I promise.

So, did I do ok? She has ii and 1c hair (3.5" pony circumference). Her bangs want to part naturally down the center of her head so we cut them a little thicker to help cover.

On to my question. How thick are your bangs? Hers are cut in a semi-circle fashion, not a triangle like some people prefer. She has a "fivehead" so they start further back on her head.

How "deep" are yours? From the center of your forehead at the hairline how many inches back do they go? Hers are about 2.75". Seems like a lot but I don't think she wanted them any thinner. Besides, she already cut them herself, I just made them shorter and a bit thicker.

I miss her length! See how long it was *sigh*.

I am not 100% on the bangs. They make her look so much different. I didn't like her self-cut bangs at all but they're going to look like that again as she grows them out!

Foxy_Booker
March 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
I just measured an my bangs are almost 2 inches deep but I also have finer hair than her. Hers look good to me, I wouldn't peg them as being too deep by the picture.

buttercupmcgee
March 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Okay, get ready for a long-winded bangs analysis. I've had them since I was 4, and have been cutting them myself since I was 16. I consider myself something of an obsessed (neurotic?:confused:) bang expert!

I like picture 381 in the album a lot. They seem very boho chic here, like Jane Birkin.

Picture 388 I care for less. The only reason I say this is because the swooped under bangs don't feel congruent with the rest of her hair. I think they would ideally blend into her hair more, and hit right at the eyebrow. I think they may be a tad thick, as well. If you're worried about them parting, some gentle blow drying while pulling the bangs in one direction, then the other with a paddle brush should help. Unless she has a cowlick, in which case no amount of hair will resist the parting.

Something you also might want to consider is blending the sides in a bit more, like this:

http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/0625-zooey_deschanel_bump_side_bd.jpg

See how they taper down her face, creating more softness and movement? It also looks great when she wears her hair up, as opposed to the block of bangs versus the rest of hair.

Have fun playing, it's so cute you guys are into hair together!:o

Aliped
March 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm biased, because I really like bangs with long straight hair. I think hers are great! They are pretty much identical to mine, which were cut in a salon - so I think you did a great job.

jacqueline101
March 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
I like them.

1nuitblanche
March 22nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Her bangs look good! Nice job! I don't have bangs right now, so I can't really answer your questions though.

MonaLisa
March 22nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Oh, such beautiful hair! Looks so healthy and perfect!
I'd miss that length too! It looks so great long! :o

As for the second picture, well good thing - it's not much shorter...and I think bangs are fun and harmless thing if you want a change. Growing out can be a bit of a pain but, but only for 2-3 months :) I wouldn't blend the sides...this is cute! :)

Vanille_
March 22nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
I think you did a good job on the bangs. I think she might have been more suited for side swept bangs or some face framing layers. It would not have been so drastic.

spidermom
March 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
I think you did an adequate job, but they seem way too thick for my personal aesthetic, which doesn't affect your life at all, so no big.

Siiri
March 22nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
They look pretty good to me. I don't mind the thickness, but personally I think they look a little wide. I have blunt bangs which are 8,5 cm (3.4") deep, but since they were cut in the triangle style, they blend in well. In my opinion, if you want thick bangs, triangle bangs usually work better. This way the center will be a little thicker than the sides.

I wear glasses, so I like to keep them pretty short, about 1-2 cm (0.4-0.8") above my eyebrows. I trim them myself so that they are a little shorter in the center than on the sides, which again helps with blending, and looks better with my square/rectangular face shape. Growing out longer side bits like in the picture buttercupmcgee linked, is fine if your wife doesn't wear glasses. I find that if my bangs are too long, they start curling up when they tough the frames.

turtlelover
March 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
I think they are a little thick and wide for my taste, but in the end, she is the one who needs to like her hair, not me! I love her hair color and texture -- very pretty!

buttercupmcgee
March 22nd, 2012, 04:09 PM
They look pretty good to me. I don't mind the thickness, but personally I think they look a little wide. I have blunt bangs which are 8,5 cm (3.4") deep, but since they were cut in the triangle style, they blend in well. In my opinion, if you want thick bangs, triangle bangs usually work better. This way the center will be a little thicker than the sides.

I wear glasses, so I like to keep them pretty short, about 1-2 cm (0.4-0.8") above my eyebrows. I trim them myself so that they are a little shorter in the center than on the sides, which again helps with blending, and looks better with my square/rectangular face shape. Growing out longer side bits like in the picture buttercupmcgee linked, is fine if your wife doesn't wear glasses. I find that if my bangs are too long, they start curling up when they tough the frames.

I wear glasses! My hair/glasses combo looks like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TimVHBgj0bE/T2c1gbPHtUI/AAAAAAAAFqE/NZADFP-WckE/s1600/Zooey+Deschanel+as+Jess+in+emerald+green+tea+dress +with+teal+cardigan+knitting+glasses.jpg

The side bits don't really "get in the way", in that they are just there to frame my face as any hair would be.

(Can you tell I'm a big advocate of having bangs blend in somewhat? They are a style, after all, they're not there by accident!:))

Good suggestion with the triangle description, that's a nice way to balance out wide bangs/face.

OrganicJewel
March 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
I like them, they are thick, but that is a look. I would just make sure that they aren't cut totally straight across, make sure the ends of her bangs are texturized a tiny bit for movement. Just my humble opinion.

Cowgirl16
March 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
They turned out really nice. I have been cutting my own bangs for ...ever. I've had both thick and thin bangs and I think they both look great. I invested in some thinning sheers. I take one fingers width from the bottom of the bangs and cut, they make the bottom not look so blunt.
I let my DH cut my length no problem; my bangs :run:
You have a very trusting wife. :cool:

DakarNick
March 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate any and all feedback and comments. As for the width it was predetermined by how much she cut three weeks ago. I just shortened them and evened them up. She cut more on the right side and I evened it up. I then added a touch more hair toward the center.

DakarNick
March 22nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
BTW, Zooey is her favorite actress and singer and has always loved her bangs.

sfgirl
March 22nd, 2012, 11:36 PM
As long as she's happy, it doesn't matter what a few people on the internet say. :)
I love bangs though, if I had a half an inch thicker ponytail I'd keep my bangs.

Siiri
March 23rd, 2012, 03:38 AM
I wear glasses! My hair/glasses combo looks like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TimVHBgj0bE/T2c1gbPHtUI/AAAAAAAAFqE/NZADFP-WckE/s1600/Zooey+Deschanel+as+Jess+in+emerald+green+tea+dress +with+teal+cardigan+knitting+glasses.jpg

The side bits don't really "get in the way", in that they are just there to frame my face as any hair would be.

(Can you tell I'm a big advocate of having bangs blend in somewhat? They are a style, after all, they're not there by accident!:))

Good suggestion with the triangle description, that's a nice way to balance out wide bangs/face.

That's the look I'm trying to avoid :D It looks good on her, and I believe it looks good on you too, but on me it makes my face look very short and wide. And the long sides flip like horns, they don't lay flat like in the picture.

DakarNick, bangs are easy to adjust later when they've grown out a bit in case your wife isn't happy with them or wants a change. As you can see from the posts, people have very different personal preferences, so the most important thing is how she likes them :)

Desdesdes
March 23rd, 2012, 05:55 AM
As a mom of five daughters I've had to do my share of haircut clean ups, too. Why won't they leave their hair alone?

I think you did a nice job based on what I could see. She looks very trendy :)

Miss Lucy
March 23rd, 2012, 07:20 AM
I like the fringe. I would even go as far as to say that the fringe looks better on her than the no-fringe and mid-part hair. I wouldn't say "she looks better with a fringe than without", since I don't know what she looks like with a side-part, for example, and don't know what her face looks like with the hair. But based on the photographs I say that the fringe looks magnific.

juliaxena
March 23rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
What counts is wheter she and not anyone else likes them. It is up to her how long she wants her hair or what style she wants.

lilbeef
April 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
I really like them! I do think they are heavy but I've seen that as a trend now so nice job.

mzBANGBANG
April 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
I don't like them curled, however I love them straight! They look very good. I'm also a fan of thick bangs, so rock on. Wish I could do it myself but I freak out anytime more than 5" comes off of my hair :)

DakarNick
April 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks ladies! She hasn't curled them since the night we cut them. Now they're a good half inch longer now and she likes them this length.