PDA

View Full Version : What causes frizz??

MoonlightShadow
March 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
ok, so..i flat ironed my hair and one half of my hiar seems to frizz when i go outside...the right side of my hair frizzes and the ends of the left side only frizz partially...im just curious..what causes frizz?? i dont think my hair is damaged that bad or anything....i know i have a few splits and broken hairs in a few placces, but not that many to cause a bad frizz...can anyone help?

katsrevenge
March 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
OK, I know we have different hair types (at least the curl factor).. but for me it is a combo of dry hair, damage.... and my hair acting normally. I mean, I get more frizz if my hair is dry or damaged but I get some just by moving my head.

Some of it is also baby hairs...mine like to fly free.

Humidity and rain also factor in. Too high or too low and I'm very frizzy.

Also.. do you sleep right sided often? The pilow can have an effect.

Miss Catrina
March 22nd, 2012, 05:54 PM
It could just be an uneven growth pattern, or even a subtle difference in how it was cut. Obviously our hair is very different, but I know when mine was long, the right side always wanted to flip out and frizz while the left behaved.

Sunshineliz
March 22nd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Different hair type here too, but IME it's just a natural thing. Baby hairs especially want to do their own thing and seem to rebel against the rest of the hair. :silly:DD6's hair especially is frizzy, but hers is also curlier than mine.

It probably isn't damage, it's just your hair trying to return to it's natural state. Frizz can be controlled some with gels, special rinses, other products, etc. Frizz is worse with high humidity, etc.

It may even be that you have a tighter texture on one side of your head than the other. Or that you have more baby hairs on that side (that could be because of damage, or it just may be a natural variation.)

I've been struggling to control my own frizz for a year now and have had limited success. I haven't tried everything I've been recommended though!:p

xoxophelia
March 22nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
In my case it is a result of not having a shaved head :P

What I think it is though is the humidity makes the individual hairs coil up however much they want and then the spring in all different directions.

Mesmerise
March 22nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
I naturally have SOME frizz...but I currently have a LOT of frizz...and the only explanation is that I used to flat iron my hair (I stopped over a year ago).

My non-frizzy hair includes my bangs (totally heat free hair), and the top part of my hair is not as frizzy as the rest (growth since last flat ironing).

I think it depends how often and how hot you flat ironed your hair. For me... I think it was just too hot and caused permanent structural damage.

Now, I have to emphasise that this damage is NOT evident as splits and breakage. It doesn't break easily, and nor does it seem to split much. The hair, though, is structurally different to the way it was before I ever flat ironed it.

After trying literally EVERYTHING to stop the frizz, I've realised that - in my case at least - the only remedy is TIME. The TIME it will take to literally grow it ALL OUT.

Pictures of my hair before it ever saw a flat iron show pretty non-frizzy hair (I always had some little baby hairs, so it was never perfectly smooth, and my hair isn't perfectly straight, so there will always be a degree of frizziness).

luthein
March 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
I have multiple hair types on my head. I have areas of 1b and areas of 2b, and they get caught up in each other. Also, the area right at my nape and ears has a short terminal length which causes added frizz, which is very common.

I also have hair that likes to float around and sneak out of braids. You're absolutely right though, frizz does not always equal damage. Could your frizz be coming from product buildup or a change in climate? Trace your steps and see if any environmental change or biological change is going on.

ludwig20
March 22nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
I'm not completely sure, but humidity is a huge factor in my case. I like that my hair tends to get wavier with this spring weather, but it comes with more frizz too.

manderly
March 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
If it's not damage, then it's mostly moisture.

Either not enough in your hair, or too much in the atmosphere (humidity/rain). I can have a great curly day with happy, moisturized curls, and the second it starts raining.....BAM! Floofy, frizzy, finger-in-the-electric-socket hair. The humidity was greater than the moisture in my hair. When in a drier climate or very dry days - perfect hair :)