PDA

View Full Version : Best way to secure buns

Mononoke
March 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Hi, I'm sorry if there has already been such a thread, but I think I can't search the forum since I'm new.

Anyway, I was wondering what good ways there are to secure buns, for example sticks, scrunchies etc. My hair is straight, so it falls apart easily.
If there are any youtube tutorials you know, that would also help!

gossamer
March 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
From what I understand, smooth sticks are supposed to do the least amount of damage.

I haven't tried scrunchies in years so I haven't been able to feel how they affect my hair. However, I do know that even metal-free hair elastics cause some damage to the end of my braid or the hair near my scalp if I put it in a pony tail. Hairpins tend to catch and snag little hairs, so I know that's not the best either. I still use both hair elastics and hairpins, but I try to use a stick when I can.

Edit:
1) at 20 inches, stick buns might still be a bit difficult to keep up - I'm sure for now a scrunchie will work well if the fabric is smooth. Might help to check out the hair styles subsection in the articles section and see if there are any buns recommended for your length.

2) I think you might be able to search the forum, but the function takes some getting used to! If you're ever not sure about what you can and can't do yet as a new memeber, check out this thread: User Permissions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520).

Sundial
March 22nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
If you're having trouble with sticks, you can try spin pins or a Flexi8 (www.flexi8.com). Forks will probably work too but that will depend on the number of prongs and the distance between prongs. Some people feel that wider spacing is better for them, but some people feel that they need narrower space between the prongs. You probably need to experiment a little for forks.

fridgee
March 22nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
Another vote for spin pins! (I love those twisty bits of metal!) They are great for holding hair securely without any damage, maybe at your length the minis would work better if you don't have super thick hair.

SoulOfTheSea
March 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
I thought hair sticks were secure, but forks have been even better! :) Try a fork. :3

Diamond.Eyes
March 22nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
I recommend getting plastic or metal hair pins that won't stretch out. Sally's has some very good quality hair pins that are clear and plastic. Using only two of them will hold up my hair when I put it in a cinnabun. I have some translucent orange ones that blend in with my hair perfectly. I hope this helps. :)

dulce
March 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Love my flexi 8 clips and spin pins.

RapunzelKat
March 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Welcome! :waving:

Another vote for spin pins! :D I am finding that they work great in my fine, straight, slippery hair. You can buy the Goody brand ones almost anywhere.

I have also had very good luck with Magic Grips, which I know you can get at Sally's. ETA: Magic Grips do have some rough spots, so I would sugges filing those off :)

I would also recommend not using elastics too often ;) In my experience, they are ok if you don't use them too frequently, choose hair friendly ones with no metal (I prefer the little latex ones that Goody makes), and don't pull them tight. Over time, though, even hair friendly ones can cause damage if used too tightly or too often.

Hairsticks are difficult for me, as my hair is super straight and slippery. Also, I think they are a bit difficult to use in shorter hair.

Hope this is helpful! :D

fiddlefananb
March 22nd, 2012, 11:10 AM
I vote for Goody spin pins. Awesome invention. They hold all of my waist length hair up all day. I use them all day every day and have no damage.

rock007junkie
March 22nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
I really love my hairsticks when I want a secure bun. Hairforks hold the hair very securely as well but sometimes go in way too tight.

Yosha
March 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Spin pins are my favorite! From what I've tried they hold best. Flexi-8's are great too. Sticks don't stay in my hair if I don't use spin pins with them (only need 2 or so with them). Other pins like bent knitting needles, regular bun pins etc. don't stay in either, they get spit out. I only have one (metal) fork so I can't compare much, but it works better than sticks. Spin pins are not very expensive (you could get away with 4), and you can use them in combination with pretty hairtoys :D

A cinnamon bun was my first bun and not very difficult, also if you try more difficult buns and your hair won't cooperate, you can braid it first so you get the hang of the desired bun and after you got it down, make the bun with unbraided hair. I do use sticks for practising because they are fast to insert and remove.

Khiwanean
March 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hairsticks are wonderful for secure buns. However, some people, especially those with very slippery hair, have trouble with them. It can also take some experimenting to find the right bun for your hair. Some buns will require more than one hairstick to anchor them securely.

Spin pins are also a good choice and they are easy to use. Just position then at the base of the bun parallel to your scalp and screw them in.

Lately I've taken to bunning my hair by securing a ponytail with an elastic, twisting it into a cinnabun and securing the end with a single claw clip. It's easy and works pretty well so far.

Madora
March 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
I secure my updos with 3 inch crimped metal hairpins (purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply). Easy to use and remove, comfortable and they are practically invisible in my hair.

Sisgoldenhair65
March 22nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Spin pins work the best for me!!!