PDA

View Full Version : Is this damage? (A few pictures)

millyaulait
March 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/20120322_113424.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/20120322_113448.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/20120322_113458.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/millyaulait/20120322_113608.jpg

Is this damage or perhaps just a bad cut & thinning?

Any opinions appreciated, thank you.. :(

Shesta
March 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'd say your hair might need some moisture. Otherwise it looks healthy to me.

kitcatsmeow
March 22nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
I agree with Shesta. Have you actually been doing anything to damage it?

Amber_Maiden
March 22nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
Doesn't look damaged, just dry. Try oiling your ends. Your ends look the same as mine, and I don't see any splits.

millyaulait
March 22nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Thank you, everyone! :) :) :)

I oil regularly, CO-wash & use no heat/damaging hairstyles.
I will perhaps do a SMT & see if that works on my ends.

I was just very worried because it doesn't look 'nice' to me, and I'm not really sure what damage looks like.

Johanna
March 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
Do you dye your hair at all? It looks how mine did after I dyed it. It would be extremely thirsty afterwards and a light oiling once a week really helped my ends.
I do like your colour :)

millyaulait
March 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Do you dye your hair at all? It looks how mine did after I dyed it. It would be extremely thirsty afterwards and a light oiling once a week really helped my ends.
I do like your colour :)

Thanks so much! :)

I do dye my hair but I don't put anything on the ends anymore, just the roots.

Johanna
March 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Nice, just be a bit wary what you use on your colour too, I used olive oil and honey treatments on my hair and it lightened the colour quite a lot. My dyed colour was very similar to yours and now its a lighter coppery tone.
If you're worried about losing the colour you can leave out the honey and only use aloe and conitioner or i think if the honey gets heated it doesn't get lightened?
Just thought I'd let you know :) I was really sad when my colour faded too fast.

ludwig20
March 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Your ends look a lot like mine! I'm glad others have reassured what I believe: my ends are just dry. I should start oiling them again.

Regardless, I'd say your hair looks great! :)

spidermom
March 22nd, 2012, 09:29 AM
I agree about moisture, but I think you've just got thinning because some hairs grow faster than others. A little trim might be in order if you want the ends a bit more even.

lapushka
March 22nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Damage? No. If you don't have splits or white dots (broken hairs), then there's no damage. Your ends might welcome some moisture, but apart from that they look very healthy to me. :)

millyaulait
March 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Thank you SO much again everyone! :D

I'm so glad that my hair isn't as bad as I thought.

I had been thinking I might have to cut off a bit to get it healthy or something.

I am going to get stuck into some moisture treatments ASAP! :)

jacqueline101
March 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'd say oil the ends.

HintOfMint
March 22nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
I would clarify first before putting on any moisture treatments and oil. Sometimes extra stuff can make dry ends worse if it is not on completely clean hair.

Also, and this is just my experience, sometimes nothing fixes dry ends but a trim. I find that I can't go longer than six months without a trim. It's not that I have splits or anything, but nothing else worked. But I'm not super-trim averse and I often look forward to the salon chair, so psychologically that could be part of it.

heidi w.
March 22nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
In the pictures provided, I see only 2 things.

1. Your hair is in bad need of moisture. Why is your hair SO dry? Do you use conditioner at all? Did you color your hair? If so, are you using products for color-treated hair?

2. I saw precisely one split in all of those pictures, and I would just cut the split off and be done with it.

Other than that, I don't see anything else.

heidi w.

Maktub
March 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
1. Your hair is in bad need of moisture. Why is your hair SO dry?

I'm a bit confused... you really think her hair looks that extremely dry ?
I wouldn't have said that. I think the pictures are a bit dark and we would have a better view under sunlight, for exemple... but it doesn't seem so drastically dry to me. A little perhaps.

Maybe it's just me that can't detect extreme dryness on pictures ?

To the OP : regular trimm will keep your hemline blunt and aleviate any natural thinning :) I don't see damage, like others said.

millyaulait
March 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
In the pictures provided, I see only 2 things.

1. Your hair is in bad need of moisture. Why is your hair SO dry? Do you use conditioner at all? Did you color your hair? If so, are you using products for color-treated hair?

2. I saw precisely one split in all of those pictures, and I would just cut the split off and be done with it.

Other than that, I don't see anything else.

heidi w.

Hi, Heidi. I'm not really sure exactly why my hair is very dry.

I only wash with cone-free conditioner, & I oil my hair with coconut oil regularly.

I color my roots, but the ends haven't been colored in quite some time.

Could using the oil perhaps be locking out moisture? I'm still a newbie so I could be doing something wrong & not even realising it.

Maktub
March 22nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Could using the oil perhaps be locking out moisture?

Very possible if you oil dry hair, rather than damp hair ?

millyaulait
March 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Very possible if you oil dry hair, rather than damp hair ?

Welp. I guess that's where I've been going wrong... :(

I do sometimes oil my hair when it's damp, but I use it as a "pre-wash treatment" on dry hair more often before washing because I thought that was what you were supposed to do.

I'll stop doing that though, thanks! Hopefully my ends will be better after this. :)

MissHair
March 22nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
My ends look exactly like that but I can't see any split ends on mine. If anything, they might be dry and coarse but I use oils daily so how could I soften them up even more? My ends can get frizzy too.

Spring
March 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
To the OP : regular trimm will keep your hemline blunt and aleviate any natural thinning :) I don't see damage, like others said.

I agree with this.

Maktub
March 22nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Welp. I guess that's where I've been going wrong... :(

I'm not worried, it's easy to fix if that's the issue ! Maybe try to clariy first. Then moisture. Then seal with some oil, but not too much !

oil makes hair look and feel much thinner ;) Sometimes I feell like trimming but all I need is to clarify to see that my ends aren't as thin as they looked oiled.

:flower:

Miss Catrina
March 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
I agree with Spidermom - I think it's just growing out unevenly.

dwell_in_safety
March 22nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Agree with the others: it just looks a little dry, but healthy otherwise, and you might want to do regular, small trims to keep those racer hairs from creating an uneven hemline if that is undesirable to you.

Safira
March 23rd, 2012, 01:19 AM
How do you see if her hair is dry?

I would say, if your hair needs moisture, try SMT and find out if your hair is porous etc, it makes easier to study what your hair needs.

Aimskylove
March 23rd, 2012, 02:09 AM
My ends do the same thing and I have been wondering why. No splits or white dots. It just frays the same. I have made it a habit to trim very little off every now and then and it has helped. I have slacked on moisture treatments and on oiling. Time to get back on it.

missdelarocha
March 23rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Hopefully ktani will come along and help out because she's so knowledgeable about oils and everything!

As far as I know coconut oil is mostly effective on hair that is penetrable, ie clarified or without build up, you can also have crunchy ends from build up which I think stops moisture getting in.. Or less moisture.
I would clarify, condition and use a few drops of mineral oil on damp hair to seal in moisture.

I don't personally see any split ends or white dots so either it's build up/lack of moisture or just the illusion because of having quite a few hairs at different lengths, your hair looks just like mine and my hair is fine :).

Shesta
March 23rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Ktani has a really nice article about the moisturizing properties of mineral oil applied on wet hair. That might be of help.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225