PDA

View Full Version : Silicones and hair thickness

Miss Catrina
March 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM
I've seen people report that their hair thickness increased when they stopped using products with cones. Does anyone know how that is possible? I would think that the extra coating of silicone would give the appearance of thicker hair, if anything.

torrilin
March 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
Well...

When we're talking about coatings (like silicones) or build up of minerals or other stuff on the hair, we're talking microscopic amounts. In some cases, it's possible we're talking about amounts too small to see with an electron microscope. This doesn't mean hair products don't have an effect tho. One of the medications I take sometimes I need a dose of 0.25 milligrams, and believe me, it has a very noticeable effect. So small amount doesn't necessarily mean no effect.

I do not fully understand the chemistry that occurs with silicone products. But it seems like for some hair types, the silicones hang out on the hair and minimize any pores or breaks in the hair's natural scales. For 1a hair, not a big deal. But the more curl or wave your hair has, the more the pores or breaks in the scale cover are a natural consequence of your curl structure... and trying to change that with silicones CAN cause the hair to appear straighter and with less texture. This will improve the hair's ability to pack down tightly, and it will minimize volume.

In that kind of circumstance, it makes sense that a person would measure as having more thickness off silicone products than on.

Obviously, not something that will happen for everyone! And it's quite likely that there are other possible explanations, and that one explanation is not the answer for all bazillion silicone derived ingredients.

Sillage
March 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
I've seen people report that their hair thickness increased when they stopped using products with cones. Does anyone know how that is possible? I would think that the extra coating of silicone would give the appearance of thicker hair, if anything.

Well maybe since the hair isn't as smooth without the silicones it doesn't lay as closely. I know my hair has more volume without silicones-- if you can call frizz volume :laugh:

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I think I find my hair thicker with them or it feels more substantial if I grab it like I'm putting it up . Before it was a fluffy tangly mess without them so ? I think ymmv .

lapushka
December 26th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Maybe the silicones make the hair smoother, smoothing and sinking it down, so it compacts better. No idea. :shrug: I've been using cones for a long time and notice no difference.

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Maybe the silicones make the hair smoother, smoothing and sinking it down, so it compacts better.

^ This.
Just like teasing, perms, bleach, salt can deceive one into thinking the hair is thicker, relaxers, brazilian/japanese straightenings, flat-irons can give an impression of suddenly thinner hair.

Silicones are great for slip and smooth texture and they always make my hair feel significantly less voluminous. I get this effect from oils, as well. Nothing abnormal and certainly not damaging at all! If you don't like that effect, just use less oil/silicones.

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Silicones always coat my hair. After a wash it feels lovely, then two days later it's dry, tangled and frizzy. I have a special hatred reserved in my heart for cones :heartbeat

In all seriousness, yeah I think they do compact hair so make it 'appear' less thick.

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Silicones always coat my hair. After a wash it feels lovely, then two days later it's dry, tangled and frizzy. I have a special hatred reserved in my heart for cones :heartbeat

In all seriousness, yeah I think they do compact hair so make it 'appear' less thick.