PDA

View Full Version : Going organic

Nipushiau
March 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM
Last week I decided to try going organic. Food, hair/body care, and household cleaners. I had this crazy idea that maybe better food (not shipped long distances, or contaminated with chemicals) might help with my hair. Has anyone else done this? Or have something to say about it? Or maybe some pointers?

kitcatsmeow
March 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
I do! Well I try. It's near impossible, especially where I live, to but organic 100% of the time but there is definitely a difference in the fruit. Organic tastes soooo much better. Once you start eating organic you'll never want pesticide ridden veggies again. I suggest farmers market. Local is your best bet and will be cheapest and it's a good time of year to start.
It's easy to use 100% natural products but harder to find 100% organic. I recently just finally switched to no silicone and sulfate free and I've been using all natural shampoo, condish and leave in. My hair feels GREAT!
I suggest Etsy for your homemade products or again, buying local ingredients and making your own. I do both. I just bought Nightblooming's Salve and Oil. When it's not mass produced it better quality controlled. Plus I like purchasing from independent sellers.

I'm also slowly switching to 100% organic and all natural products around the house too and just recently started buying organic, fair trade clothes.
I feel better physically and spiritually. I just feel good knowing I'm using pure products and buying local and fair trade feel great as well.

holothuroidea
March 21st, 2012, 07:06 PM
Organic is good, local is better.

I eat organic in the winter, when fresh fruits and vegetables aren't available locally. The growing season here is May-October and during those months I eat all my produce local- which is not certified organic (our small local CSA farms often do not have enough money for the certification, but practice organic and sustainable farming anyway).

Our dairy, meat, and eggs all come from farms that I have visited and met the animals.

I don't do it for my health, I do it out of principle because I believe that animals and land deserve to be treated with respect. I suspect, though, that it is better for my health. The biggest difference is taste, though. The taste of fresh local food is just unparalleled.

cheetahfast
March 21st, 2012, 07:21 PM
I agree with holothuroidea. We buy local during the warmer months. There's a lovely farmers market and it supports produce that doesn't get sprayed with preservatives since it doesn't travel here from half way around the world.

Also just so you know organic produce is able to have a certain pesticides used on it. I think they're supposed to be more natural, but still when I first found it out it bothered me.

Amber_Maiden
March 21st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Yes, we buy organic. And we also buy local. :)

Nipushiau
March 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks, everyone. Something else I forgot to mention-I'm learning how to make soap from scratch, too. I've had some experience with making my own moisturizers so that shouldn't be too hard. I'm also trying to grow some of my own produce, because there seems to be no way I'll be able to afford it otherwise. I'm also lucky in that there is a really nice food coop near where I live and where I work. Farmer's markets, too.
I've been researching on the topic, and some people are of the opinion that organically (preferably local) raised produce actually has more nutrients in it than stuff that comes from "dead" dirt. And I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference with how your hair grows. (Mine mostly will put on an inch, then stop for about six months, then another inch the next month. No trimming except a little for split ends.)

Littlewing13
March 22nd, 2012, 02:11 AM
Not even so much for your/your hairs health but for the environment! I was a hairdresser for years when it suddenly occurred to me: where are these chemicals going? Where do they come from? What impact does this have on the planet? With a growing population is this sustainable?

I didn't like the answers I was coming up with. So I switched to all natural & organic where possible.

DBF grows a lot of our veggies :) its great!

Nephele
March 22nd, 2012, 03:54 AM
I buy all of my veggies/eggs from local farmers markets and I agree with other people here - the taste is just so much better. Plus I feel better for supporting local farmers.

Health-wise I feel that I have way more energy ad my hair has been growing noticeably faster. Though that could just be because I have started eating more vegetables :)