PDA

View Full Version : Had a Dentist Appt Yesterday- Fun reaction to my hair

Nightshade
July 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Yesterday at the dentist I had my hair in a Gibraltar Bun with a stick in it (I wasn't thinking when I got dressed, “Hmm, will this work at the dentist” hell I’m not even really awake when I get ready and my only concern was that the stick matched my clothes.)

So I get there and take the stick out, but leave the hair in the bun and rest my head on that (the chair was so low and tipped back that my hair would have been on the floor otherwise). So I go through the appointment (call me nuts, but I love getting my teeth cleaned, it feels fantastic when it's over) and I’m given a clean bill of dental health (no cavities! :cheer:).

I stand back up and I’m talking to the oral hygienist as she gathers up my obligatory bag of toothpaste, floss, and new toothbrush. As I’m talking to her I make to redo the bun, and as I’m gathering it up to twist it she says, “OH! Is that one of those clip up hair extender things?”

I just shook my head (had the stick in my mouth) and then her eyes got big and she said, “Is all that REAL!?”

And I laughed and dropped my hair, giving it a bit of a shake to untwist it, took the stick out of my mouth and said “Yep, all real.”

Her, “That’s AMAZING! :bigeyes:” And then she watched in fascination as I put it back up. “So all that stays up with just that stick?”

“Yep!”

“Oh, honey, that takes talent.”

LOL, no, not really, but it does take HAIR. ;) In any event, I thought it was fun, and it made the dentist appointment really enjoyable.

ETA, sorry for the font, I was emailing this to Beldaran and Belisama and the stupid formatting stuck.

Ohio Sky
July 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
:lol: That's funny!!

I had all kinds of weird conversations with a dental assistant that was morbidly fascinated with my job and kept insisting that she was going to come home with me to get a tour of the mortuary, but nothing hair related.

AutumnLeaves
July 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
I too love going to the dentist and the feel of the teeth when they are freshly cleaned. I miss that gritty stuff they used to use years ago though. Had a bit of lemony tang to it.

almudena
July 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
What a great long hair moment! Thanks for sharing :inlove:

It takes me forever to decide to go to the dentist. I hate it and can't help it. Fortunately my dental health is great and I only go to the dentist when there are no more options :scared:

Sam-I-Am
July 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
That's awesome! I was at the dentist three or four times in the space of a month earlier this year for a crown, and even though it's a busy place with lots of families coming through, one of the receptionists started to recognize me by my hair :)

sexyjacksparrow
July 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
That's a great story Nightshade - I would have loved to see her face.

And great to hear no cavaties :D

CurlyOne
July 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
That's a fun reaction! I love it when people see all the hair up with just a stick, blows them all away.

Melisande
July 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
This is one of the funniest long hair stories I've ever read. I'd love to see her face. :p

I wonder when such things will happen to me... :confused: may take some time....

MountainGypsy
July 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
That is a fun story and thank you for reminding me that I need to schedule a dental cleaning appointment!

GlassEyes
July 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
That's so cool! XD

I'd be impressed too, even after being on here all this time.

FrannyG
July 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I rarely if ever see hair as long as yours in these parts. In fact, where I live, my hair is relatively long right now. I know I would be in awe if I saw your hair tumble down from a bun in real life.

You know, before I learned how to use a hair stick, after I joined LHC (:oops:), I always thought that putting hair up with one pin was just a trick in the movies.

I'm happy that you had this fun hair moment, and congrats on no cavities. :flowers:

Carina
July 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
That sounds like a great ending on a dentist appointment,Nightshade.I also love to go to dentist and have clean teeth and no cavities:joy:.

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
What a nice hair story! It's awesome to get such positive and awe-stricken reactions to your hair, isn't it?? :flowers:

AnimaSola3o4
July 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Strangely enough I get a lot of compliments from the dental professionals at my dental office too.

That was a good one though! Congrats!! :)

Golden21
July 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
That is an awesome compliment! You should be really flattered! I wish someone thought my hair was so pretty it wasn't real! I have a long ways to grow before I get to that point. I'm at well past apl right now.

dorothea-brooke
July 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
What a great story! And essentially a double compliment: on both your hair and your talent! :)

One of the things I love about the Gibraltar bun (since we were on this topic elsewhere) is that the "hair slide" in the middle keeps the bun together even after you take the stick out. So you can remove stick, make minor re-adjustment, re-insert. Or -- remove stick, have teeth cleaned, re-insert. :wink:

dorothea

Patrycja
July 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I can't even use two sticks half the time :wail:

Great and fun compliment! I can just imagine her reaction if you got on the topic of hairsticks and she found out how talented you are at making those.

She'd probably still be doing this: :agape:

Carolyn
July 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
What a cute story! I bet the look on her face was priceless when she found out your hair was real :D

CaityBear
July 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
lol I love that dentist clean. :)

I would've loved to had seen her expression. It sounds funny. :)

Cinnamon.locks
July 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Such a fun story! glad to hear people everywhere react the same to very long hair. plus your's is absolutely beautiful so double lovely. good to know you have perfect dental health also. so very important.

Thanks for sharing.

longinthehair
July 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Me too - just last week, on Thursday, went to the dental hygenist for my cleaning and check, etc. Had a plastic fakkare in a flipped bun style. Lo and behold, what happened next is very different from the usual.

I usually make a point of wearing a braid on a dental visit, but actually sort of forgot. Anyway I was just thinking to myself, 'I wonder if I can lean my head back comfortably...' when the hygenist said, I need you to take off any metal from your neck up. Yikes, that meant my necklace, earrings..and at first I thought ooh fakkare, it has a metal spring, took that out..but then after three seconds when my hair remained in place, I realized I had a bunhead metal pin holding it, so I took that out..and then my hair fell out, naturally. Hygenist said, "Oh , I didn't realize your hair was so long!" I just sort of said yuh, and grabbed a plastic pony clip and pulled it behind me.

She then walks me to another area, turns out they have a new fangled x-ray machine which goes all around your head and records the 4 quandrants of your teeth, roots and all, on a computer - very cool. Very space-age. Anyhow - I took her comment as a compliment, gotta take them where you can get them.

ps: wore my hair with braidwaves down at work today, well actually half up; the nicest comment I received today, was, "It reminds me of a mermaid..I'm very jealous." Most other comments consisted of, "ooh I didn't realize your hair was so long" and one "I really like your hair down."
- tlc

Pierre
July 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
When I go to the dentist, I make a bun on top and hold it with a hair scroo. I haven't been asked to remove all metal though.

trolleypup
July 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM
My dentist is pretty subtle about complimenting my hair...although one of the receptionists raves about it...usually when I am numb to the eyebrows. *sigh*

bex487
July 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
That's such a cute story! Compliments like that make you feel so good, don't they?

When I had longer hair I always had to think about what to do with my hair when visiting the dentist-I hate being uncomfortable!

NorthernDancer
July 24th, 2008, 08:21 AM
What a great story! Thanks for sharring!

Hurray4Henna
July 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM
That is an awesome story Nightshade! Maybe you inspired her to become a longhaired lady ;)
No cavaties is always a good thing!

Nightshade
July 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
To all of those that commended me for no cavities, got to hand that to flossing (I do take weekends off that as a treat, though), giving up soda (I'm a tea fanatic), and my Sonicare. Since I changed those three things a few years ago I've yet to have another problem with my teeth.

That's funny!! I had all kinds of weird conversations with a dental assistant that was morbidly fascinated with my job and kept insisting that she was going to come home with me to get a tour of the mortuary, but nothing hair related.
To be fair, *I'd* want to be shown around the morgue! :lol:

I rarely if ever see hair as long as yours in these parts. In fact, where I live, my hair is relatively long right now. I know I would be in awe if I saw your hair tumble down from a bun in real life.

You know, before I learned how to use a hair stick, after I joined LHC (:oops:), I always thought that putting hair up with one pin was just a trick in the movies.

I'm happy that you had this fun hair moment, and congrats on no cavities.
I used to think that was a trick too! That they'd have her hair pinned up all to hell, cut scene, unpin it, and have it held in place with the stick for just long enough to take it down :P

What a nice hair story! It's awesome to get such positive and awe-stricken reactions to your hair, isn't it?? :flowers:
I'd love to say it gets old, but it doesn't. :p It only happens once or twice a year, but it's so funny when it does. I mean, of COURSE it's FAKE! Real hair isn't that long ;)

That is an awesome compliment! You should be really flattered! I wish someone thought my hair was so pretty it wasn't real! I have a long ways to grow before I get to that point. I'm at well past apl right now.
You'll get there! :flowers:

I can't even use two sticks half the time :wail: Great and fun compliment! I can just imagine her reaction if you got on the topic of hairsticks and she found out how talented you are at making those.

She'd probably still be doing this: :agape:

Although I had made the hair stick that I was wearing (this one if anyone is interested) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=189171&postcount=680), that didn't come up as the topic of conversation. Besides, most people outside LHC seem to think hairsticks are just decorative pens, until they look for the writing tip and there's isn't one. :rolleyes:

That is an awesome story Nightshade! Maybe you inspired her to become a longhaired lady ;)
No cavaties is always a good thing!

Heh, being that she was a certifiable helmet-head, odds are against that one, but she did seem to appreciate it on places other than her own head.

Babyfine
July 24th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Great Story!

the dentist and the chiropractor are two places where I have to think about how I'm going to style my hair that day.

About a month ago I had a bridge put in so I would be lying back in a dental chair for a couple of hours. But I forgot that morning when I styled my hair.
Like you, I forgot about that (afternoon appointment) and had my hair styled in a nice updo with a jaw clip,(not very conducive to lying back in a dental chair) and had to take it down for that. But my hair is not as long or nice as yours!(mines' only about 2" short of BS) so no- one comments, when I take it down.

WritingPrincess
July 24th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I love hearing stories of hair compliments, and you're right, it never gets old.
Oh, and I meant to tell you, I love that stick. :D

lora410
July 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
clip on eh:rollin: her reaction was awesome!!

dorothea-brooke
July 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I agree -- that stick is lovely, Nightshade! It actually adds to the story to be able to picture the stick you were using when this happened.... :lol:

dorothea

Hatsumomo
July 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Wow it must be great to get compliments like that:)! I love hearing about them too for some reason and can't wait until mine is long enough for it.