PDA

View Full Version : hair sticks for "slippery" hair?

christiner
March 21st, 2012, 01:03 PM
I would like to start making more buns but my hair is very fine and straight, and seems to fall out of a lot of styles. Can you make sticks work with hair like that (with practice?), or do you have to use other things to secure the buns? I do have some spin pins but I haven't played too much with them.

i just saw the orchid bun on the hairstyle of the month board and it's very pretty, but i don't think my hair would stay put like that!

Nini
March 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sure you can get it to work. But I find that messy, loose buns aren't for me. I need some tension to keep it up, at least if I want it to stay up all day.

ratgirldjh
March 21st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Wooden sticks hold best for my hair when it is slippery - oh and the home-made big hair pins/mini forks that I make from bent dpns (knitting needles) hold my hair even better than sticks!!! AMAZING!!! I can even sleep with them in and they don't come out til morning!

My hair is only shoulder length and slippery and fine - but I have a lot of hair - and I find it even harder to put up than when it was almost waist length! There are always some pieces falling out!!! But the knitting needle hair forks can hold it all - providing it get it all up to begin with! And soooo cheap!!!

whitedove
March 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
I use wooden sticks and forks but I still get some slip, read somewhere that metal ones hold better but I havent tried those yet. Might go bend some knitting needles :)

luxepiggy
March 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM
My hair is super slippery, and hair sticks are the most efficient way for me to put my hair up securely. The key is to use 2 sticks, inserted crosswise to one another (^(oo)^)v

Woods Nymph
March 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM
I think a lot of it is practice. When I first started using hair sticks, everything would fall out. Everything! My hair would go, "ptooie!" and then I swear I could hear it laughing at me as I picked up the hair stick from the floor...but I digress.
I have a lot of obscenely slippery hair, so I feel your pain, christiner. I've found that making my own hair sticks, like ratgirl said, is quite helpful. (I like the knitting needle idea, too, by the way!) The lazy wrap bun is a good style for me--pretty easy to do & holds my hair well. Just make sure to tuck your ends in! The orchid bun works for me, too, but it was difficult to get the hang of. Good luck!

spidermom
March 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM
If you haven't, try sticks with curve rather than straight sticks, although straight ones can be made to work. It takes practice; there is a "trick" to finding the best placement and tension.

lapushka
March 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
My hair, esp. when the waves have gone, can be quite slippery. I find that Quattro's hold best for me at that time, esp. the basics (with the microgroove technology). Even though the sticks are very thin, they stay put very well. I only gained a more solid bun with enough length, though, so that is pretty much key.

torrilin
March 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
You don't mention how long your hair is, or how thick it is. Both are actually more relevant to putting hair up and having it stay than how slippery it is. Strange, yet true :).

You combat slippery by having your hair anchored at many points. Right now, my hair is about waist length, which means around 30" long or so. My hair is not super thick, so that gives me enough length to make buns that wrap around 2-3 times, with enough slack that I can weave a hairstick in 3-5 times from the bun to the hair on my scalp and back. It depends more on the length of the stick and how loose I make the bun than anything else. If my hair has enough anchor points... it stays up. Too few? It falls down. Tight buns mean you have no slack to work the stick through your hair, and then FWOOMP... they fall down. Too loose is bad as well, but you'll know the bun is too loose in seconds :D

The shorter my hair is, the harder it is to get enough anchor points. The thicker your hair is, the harder it is to get your hair to wrap around itself, and that makes it hard to get anchor points.

A single hairstick is the absolute minimum of tools I can use to put my hair up. If I go this route, chances are my hair will not stay up all day with no fiddling, because chances are it's only got around 3 anchors. A single spin pin will work with some styles, most notably stuff like knot buns where my hair is partly supporting itself. For most styles tho, I need 2 spin pins, and to do careful insertion to make sure the pins get plenty of hair from both my scalp and the bun. I usually need 2-3 U shaped pins to get my hair to stay, and they need to be pretty large.

Anje
March 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM
My hair can be quite slippery, and I use a single stick with great effectiveness. For me, there does need to be a bit of tension in an updo to keep it from sliding out, but that's pretty easily accomplished.

The real trick to sticks is that you need to wrap your hair in a bun in such a way that it almost stays by itself. Once you've done that, the stick pretty much serves as the critical piece that keeps it from sliding back out. Hypnotica does a good job demonstrating that principle in this video. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=466690622319220011)

christiner
March 21st, 2012, 10:34 PM
I use wooden sticks and forks but I still get some slip, read somewhere that metal ones hold better but I havent tried those yet. Might go bend some knitting needles :)

that is so interesting, because i like to use wooden knitting needles rather than metal because the metal ones are too slippery for my yarn. hmm so many options!