PDA

View Full Version : How to wear hair for a teacher job interview?

shellblue1
July 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I am looking for a job as a teacher and while I am sure I dress professionally when I go to interviews, I am concerned about how to wear my hair. As you can see in my avatar pic, my hair isn't very long. I am considering wearing my hair up. Even though I am almost 30 I tend to look pretty young when I wear my hair down, so I figure that wearing my hair up will make me appear older and more competent/responsible/whatever lol. What do you guys think? How would you wear your hair on a job interview? Thanks!

NurseMama
July 23rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
IMO, a french twist is a classic business appropriate style that will add tons of sophistication.

burns_erin
July 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
For me, I have the young thing going on as well, so I stick with more classically "professional" updos for such events. Such as: as "mean lady" bun, a french twist, or a chignon. But, it probably depends on the area your school is in as well as the grade you are planning on teaching. If you can get an insider spy in there to find out what teachers in your area do, that would probably be best. I know in my area they would look at you a bit strangely if you came in like that for a kindergarten teacher, but look funny at you if you came with hair down for a position with older children.

eadwine
July 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Another vote for the French twist :)

Shanarana
July 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
I would also agree with the french twist......for some reason, when I think of teachers I think of tight buns. Most of the teachers I had many, many years ago wore them.

wintersun99
July 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
French Twist or a Chignon is usually a good bet for a "professional" look.

crebbsgirl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I agree, the French Twist or the Chignon are probably your best bet. Both offer an air of professionalism, which I think is pretty key in an interview. I tend to wear the chignon to interviews. But that's because I can never get the French Twist to look right!! ;)

Golden21
July 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
I vote for the half up.

Chromis
July 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I would say up for almost any job interview, but esp for one in an authority position.

Um Enis
July 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
I was a teacher. For the classroom, anything is ok... but for the interview, I'd say a pretty bun or french twist. I'm afraid anything that shows the length will make you look too young, interpreted as less of an authority figure.

Nevermore
July 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I vote for a bun, unless you're good at french twists. There's very little worse than having your hair suddenly spring from its bindings while you're talking about your ability to control a classroom and for me, french twists mean SPROING! If you use hairsticks, go for something plain (black maybe).

LifeisAdventure
July 25th, 2008, 11:43 PM
A french twist is great if you can pull it off -- I for one never have ANY luck but I think there's just no place for all my hair to go. I vote for a peacock twist if you're interviewing for grade school or middle school, because appearing younger won't hinder you as much and potentially gives you more cred with students (something administrators might recognize in a more youthful applicant), but for high school, I'd go with a bun held by plain-ish hairsticks. :)

Best of luck in your interviews!

Gladtobemom
July 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Very clean and a simple low ponytail.

A low ponytail with a plain but dressy holder is not intimidating or fussy, but yet your hair is out of the way and practical.

Also, rather unremarkable, you probably don't want your hair to be the remarkable part of the interview.

Laululintu
July 26th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I tend to wear my hair in a bun of some description, as I've never managed to get a french twist to work properly. I also think that GTBM makes a good point with the simple ponytail.

Kyannah
July 26th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I would definitely go for the french twist. It looks smart and sophisticated.

Ursula
July 26th, 2008, 08:36 AM
The thing to wear is something that is reliable, stable and comfortable. This isn't the time to try a new style, or do something that is uncomfortable or distracting. The goal is to have your hair attractive, but unremarkable, so that it is part of an overall professional appearance that fits with the school's culture. If it is bugging you, or falls down, you'll be distracted and come off badly. You want your hair at least partially held back, so it isn't falling in your face, and so you're not tempted to fidget with it.

Your hair is short enough that a half up, just hold the front hair back with a single barrette at the back of your head, will work nicely. It's a nice style for a teacher. Tidy, practical, but not severe enough that it might come off as intimidating. These days, buns seem to be more fashionable, so that could be a good choice, as well, doing a bun that works well for you.

Be careful with hair toys. Something very sparkly or large may be distracting. I'd go for a simple fork or hairsticks, just slightly larger than your bun, and not large enough to stick out much past your head. Flexi-8s are also nice, attractive and interesting from the back, but out of sight from the front.

Also think about the age of your future students, when deciding on the image you want to show. Someone who will be teaching first or second graders probably would do well with a softer image than someone who will be teaching high school calculus. Your department makes a difference, as well. If you're going to be a science teacher, you want to look as if you're going to be easily able to move from classroom to lab, while, say, an English Lit teacher wouldn't have to worry about that.

novemberfoxtrot
June 6th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I have an interview on Friday for a first grade position! OMGOMGOMGOMG!

It seems between this thread and the more recent thread about job interview hair, people are recommending updos. I have curly hair and a lot of darn short hairs that just frizz at my hair line. I just don't know that an updo is my most professional look because of those. How can I slick those down without looking slicked down?

I'm verging on breaking my 7 month hiatus from the straightener.

ttverdy
June 6th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm currently a teacher, and although this goes against what everyone else is saying, I wore my hair down and (natural) curly for my interview. It depends what kind of school you're interviewing at, but I knew that my school would appreciate my personality, so I wore my big curly red hair down. :) And I got the job!! But it kind of matches my personality, which is a bit crazy. I think that's in part why I got the job, to be honest. It can be a good thing to set yourself apart for interviews. Actually, I just got another job (because I'm moving) and I wore my hair in a half-up style with a barrette. Once again, looking professional is awesome, but it can be an asset to look different from the other candidates.

Do what you want! The school is hiring YOU, not your hairstyle :) And good luck! Teaching rocks!! :)

ttverdy
June 6th, 2012, 11:07 PM
BTW, I'm a high school math AND music teacher, if that matters...

novemberfoxtrot
June 7th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm currently a teacher, and although this goes against what everyone else is saying, I wore my hair down and (natural) curly for my interview. It depends what kind of school you're interviewing at, but I knew that my school would appreciate my personality, so I wore my big curly red hair down. :) And I got the job!! But it kind of matches my personality, which is a bit crazy. I think that's in part why I got the job, to be honest. It can be a good thing to set yourself apart for interviews. Actually, I just got another job (because I'm moving) and I wore my hair in a half-up style with a barrette. Once again, looking professional is awesome, but it can be an asset to look different from the other candidates.

Do what you want! The school is hiring YOU, not your hairstyle :) And good luck! Teaching rocks!! :)

Thank you! I'm so nervous!! I'll try a few things tonight and see what goes with my suit, I guess. The nasty rain we've been having is sure to ruin anything I try tomorrow anyway!

Math and music?! awesome!

MiamiPineapple
June 7th, 2012, 08:33 PM
love a bun for interviews and everyday work.

SurferB
June 7th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Every time I wear my hair in a french braid, I get the job and with compliments, too.

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I say a classic bun.

novemberfoxtrot
June 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I french braided my bang area over to the side and continued braiding the tail. Then I pulled my hair back and made a low bun. I think it looks cute.

But I'm almost positive I didn't get the job. I saw they had a checklist of words for each question and I wasn't getting the boxes checked. I'm not sure what words I wasn't saying! sigh. let's hope there's another.

onlyforhim
June 9th, 2012, 03:19 AM
I am a teacher too :)
well it really depends on your hair length but trust me if it is too long they won't be so impressed with a big big bun :P so just don't worry about it and wear your hair the way you feel comfortable. It is your experience, presence and passion that matters.

I used to wear my hair loose all the time (and those people who saw me for the first time really didn't know I was the teacher). After LHC I started wearing my hair in braided buns and trust me while some people found it nice others thought it was too...what should I say ? ...simple I guess or very traditional...hippie...or vinatge...I can't find the word..

Good luck in your interview though yaaaay

Ok I just noticed your hair length, if this the way it is now then yeah you can go with a chingon or updo or half updo and even loose will be pretty

4C4rly4
June 9th, 2012, 03:21 AM
My hair isn't that long either so I usually just wear it down but pin the front part back a little bit so it won't get in my eyes and it'll look more "professional."

Annibelle
June 9th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I wore my hair in a low, very simple ponytail for my interview, and I got the job. :) I wanted to not look like a wild woman with my hair down :p but I didn't want to look like I spent too much time in front of the mirror every morning, KWIM?