PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to take care and maintain chemically treated hair

redsoles
March 20th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I love my natural hair, but it's really frustrating and annoying to deal with. So I relax my hair every 6 months sometimes every year. To retain length etc. I keep hearing that chemically treated hair is hard to deal with or it's bad for your hair altogether. But is that true? If you don't mess with it all the time. It's just so much easier for me to relax my hair every 6 months (I approx will get between 4 even 5 inches within 6 months)

Discuss
Are you someone that has chemically treated hair (relax, perm, dye etc) and have you been able to still maintain it and have beautiful hair?
Do you know someone like this?

LoveAngelBeauty
March 20th, 2012, 06:23 PM
It is possible. There are many women who do it. You can just type in long relaxed hair into google or youtube and I'm sure you'll get lots of blogs/videos of women documenting their hair journeys. You should also head over to the longhaircareforum as there are many, many women there with your hair type who are either relaxed or natural and can help you out. Just reading through the forum of what people have done can help you or inspire you.

katsrevenge
March 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I used to chemically dye mine all the time.

But it was also at the LONGEST BSL.. and generally a few inches long. I did a lot of cutting then... it tended to look OK short but once it got some length to it it was even frizzier then normal. Not really damaged.. just brushed out curly dry hair.

I guess it depends on what you are willing to do, the porosity (I'm fairly non-porous) and texture and if you can manage to just chemically treat the new growth only. That seems to be the key with the very long haired but chemical users here.