PDA

View Full Version : "Real-life Rapunzel" article

Knotted
March 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM
This girl has gorgeous hair! It's too bad she's cutting it, but I don't think I could have handled all that hair at 12, either. She needs LHC to learn more long hair hairstyles :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2117592/Natasha-Moraes-Andrade-Real-life-Rapunzel-12-cuts-hair-time.html

Othala
March 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Stunning hair. Would look even more fantastic (in terms of density) if she hadn't cut bangs into it.
Still, if it's too much for her to handle, it has to go.

Thanks for posting this. It cheered me up.

Miss Catrina
March 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM
She can do whatever she wants with her hair, but the reference to going through a whole shampoo bottle every week drives me nuts. How do people still not know that you don't need to wash the length? :confused:

FrozenBritannia
March 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I read that too. I can't believe she uses that much shampoo, for real, or spends that much time combing out her hair. i don't see why she doesn't just braid it to play sports or 'walk down the street'. Good for her for selling it for extensions though, might as well get some money out of it if she can, they can probably use it.

Of the Fae
March 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I think it looks awesome, but I understand why she is tired of it. Plus, she is poor and can help herself and her family by doing it!

But.. WHY oh why would she not put her hair in a bun? It would save hours of brushing and probably washing.. and would make her a more mobile person...

Knotted
March 20th, 2012, 05:05 PM
But.. WHY oh why would she not put her hair in a bun? It would save hours of brushing and probably washing.. and would make her a more mobile person...

I was thinking that, too. The article makes it sound like long hair traps people so they can't properly go out and about in normal every day situations. Odd.

katsrevenge
March 20th, 2012, 05:07 PM
A bottle of shampoo a week...?

And why is this child not braiding it? Or something?

ratgirldjh
March 20th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Wonder why she doesn't braid it? That would get it out of her way a bit at least.

Avital88
March 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM
yes a bottle of shampoo?? and why she cuts all the way to a bob, i can imagine that becoming a big poof with her curls.. she shoud just trim iit back to tailbone and be perfectly fine

Maktub
March 20th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I agree it's odd she doesn't put it up... can't imagine she doesn't !!! I'm sure there is some media deformation in there, it just doesn't seem realist that she wouldn't think of putting it up somehow, or braiding it, to use the fan in the house during summer heat... !

Wavelength
March 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah, the way the article was written makes me suspect that certain aspects of her hair care routine were highly exaggerated -- perhaps to pull in reader comments.

I can't really take what they're saying at face value. Added all together (the amount of shampoo supposedly being used per week, the amount of time supposedly spent brushing it, yet no time at all learning to braid it or put it up) it sounds pretty unbelievable. :rolleyes:

GlennaGirl
March 20th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I could cry...but it's her hair, it's hers to do with what she wants...each of us has that right.

ETA: 12 seems just about the perfect time to experiment with hair...it's very common...she should try different things now, so it's all good.

PixxieStix
March 20th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I hope she doesn't regret cutting it once it's gone, but it isn't like she can't grow it out again in the future. But yeah, I had a hard time believing everything they said in the article, I mean, who can grow hair that long and not know how to put it up?!

irishlady
March 20th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Wow what wonderful hair!!

lunalocks
March 20th, 2012, 05:48 PM
one person's treasure is another person's curse.

Merlin
March 20th, 2012, 05:50 PM
It must be true because I read it in the Daily Mail.....

pepperminttea
March 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I'm struggling to see how she'd go through a bottle of shampoo a week. Is the bottle 10ml? :p

Beautiful hair though, I hope she enjoys it after the cut. Who knows, she might regrow it in later life and find the LHC! :D

It must be true because I read it in the Daily Mail.....

:lol: Nothing like The Daily Fail to give you a sense of (conservative) reality.

Anywhere
March 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Its so beautiful!
and so is she!
:thud::thud::thud:

She looks like she's my age, not 12, to me.

swearnsue
March 20th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I think the only truth in the article was that a 12 year old girl has long hair. Did you see the photo where she is combing her hair? The comb was the kind that wouldn't have gone 1 inch through her hair! So fake in my opinion.

racrane
March 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM
The writing of the article annoyed me. Doesn't she braid of bun it? It acted like she can't do anything with long hair. She has such lovely hair, though.

I DO think if a girl wants to play around with her hair she should, especially at that age. But the tone annoyed me.

Merlin
March 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM
:lol: Nothing like The Daily Fail to give you a sense of (conservative) reality.

It's good Mail stuff really - chopping of your hair to make some money to do up your bedroom rather than sponging off the state for handouts. In the UK I'm sure that there are councils having to spend £400 a year to keep girls like that in shampoo because the policies of years of loonie labour governments.....blah blah blah...

terylenerose
March 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I agree, the points made in the article didn't make sense. How can you even have hair that long if you put that much shampoo on it? I don't think my hair would be able to stand the kind of treatment they're saying she was giving her hair. I'd think it would be full of splits. No wonder she had to spend that much time combing it out. And why not just put it up? I thought they required you to do that for exercise classes anyway. It wasn't even her idea, it was her mother's and the school's. They were well-intentioned enough, it sounds like, but she did say she would miss her long hair. Just saying.

Anywhere
March 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I think I'm the only one who just looked at the pictures and didn't bother with reading the article. :p

Amber_Maiden
March 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM
There are people here who don't use a full bottle of shampoo each time they ways their hair! That's nuts!! I don't get why she couldn't braid her hair, and only brush it once a week, or even once a month- if it's in a braid everyday. And there are people here with tons of hair who wash it once a month. At that length I would be washing it once a month and combing it once a week.

Diamond.Eyes
March 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Her hair is lovely. It's sad to hear she can't stand it. I would love to have her length :p.

Knotted
March 20th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I think I'm the only one who just looked at the pictures and didn't bother with reading the article. :p

The pics are the main (mane? hehe) reason I posted the article :p

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Why cant she just braid it and put it on top of her head? Or make a nice bun? oh well.
and that much shampoo??

sun-kissed
March 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Ahahaha, I don't believe a word of it. 400 a year, a bottle a week, no knowledge of updos, poverty..? That's just too bizarre. :rolleyes:
Lovely girl and hair, though. So shiny and full, and in fantastic(!) condition under the alleged 'circumstances.' I hope she's happy with her mom/school's decision, and that they use the money wisely.

Olga-Freya
March 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM
All articles about "Real life Rapunzel" that I read always say that those girls spend hours to brush and wash their mane, and need a full bottle of shampoo every week. I wonder why nobody don't want to write an article about me and my hair (or about any of you, girls), where would be explained that it is not so hard to have long hair?

Anyway, I'm amazed to her lenght in 12 years!

cwarren
March 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Her hair must weigh a ton! Maybe a bun or updo would give her a headache...

But she could still do a simple English braid to keep it out of the way. And an impoverished woman spends 400 bucks a year on shampoo for her daughter? That, I do not believe.

Quixii
March 20th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, the actual writing of the article doesn't make sense. As one of the comments mentioned: she lives in poverty but can afford to have a little extra weight, polished nails, and spend 400 euros on shampoo? Also, she doesn't know how to put it up? I don't understand. :confused:
That said, I fully support her decision to cut it and agree that her hair is very pretty. I just don't really understand the circumstances.

Lady Neeva
March 20th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I got disturbed by the picture of the comb. It was before that when I noticed it didn't make a licka' sense. (The Bangs? I can't really blame her)

Madora
March 20th, 2012, 08:10 PM
She lives in a poverty stricken shanty town but wants to spend the money on refurbishing her BEDROOM????

She has beautiful hair BUT you can't tell me she didn't know how to do SOMETHING with it to keep it from becoming tangled and a godawful mess from day to day. Something just is "off" about the whole thing.

bumblebums
March 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have worshipped the creative minds at the Daily Fail ever since I became aware of this (http://www.psdisasters.com/search/label/Daily%20Fail).

Look, there's even a hair-related Photoshop Disaster (http://www.psdisasters.com/2009/05/daily-mail-scraperboard-of-truth.html)!

Any similarity between that article and real life is almost certainly accidental.

Lunarise
March 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Am I the only one who looked at those pictures and said, "WHY WOULD A 12 YEAR OLD BE DRESSED LIKE A HOOKER?"

Desdesdes
March 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Am I the only one who looked at those pictures and said, "WHY WOULD A 12 YEAR OLD BE DRESSED LIKE A HOOKER?"

Mama of five daughters here who thought the same thing :(

GlennaGirl
March 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM

I didn't, but then again, I live near a junior high. :tmi:

aisha.christine
March 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Like most of you, I wondered why she couldn't just braid or bun her hair.
Her family wouldn't turn on the fan because of her hair? Seems pretty unlikely. I can't fathom any human being sacrificing their own (well deserved) comfort for someone else's hair.
I also question Daily Mail's idea of poverty. She looked pretty well fed to me. It makes me wonder if they just took pictures of this girl and wrote a fictitious story about it.

jc10event
March 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM
What about if a shampoo company, whhom her family obviously throws a lot of money at used her for hair commercials, like a couple times to give the family some help.
A PE teacher myself, most of the girls in my classes that have hair waist or longer tend to be pretty low income. I can hardly think of a time they did not have it braided or in some kind of bun.

Johanna
March 20th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I was really saddened by her outfit. I don't remember dressing like at at all when I was 12 :/ Plus it wasn't the most flattering. You can have all kinds of lumps and bumps, but in the right clothes that won't matter at all.
I think her hair habits stem from not having anyone around her with long hair, thinking that long hair equals short hair habits x 10. So ten times more product, ten times more brushing etc.

holothuroidea
March 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Just when I thought I couldn't hate the Daily Mail any more...

The whole thing is so stupid. A whole bottle of shampoo? Hours of brushing? Not a mention of an updo? I doubt that the person who wrote the article ever actually had any contact with this girl at all, or even asked her any questions. They just got some pictures and made up a story.

Mama of five daughters here who thought the same thing :(

... RIO DI JANERO

Uh, it's hot there (ETA: Apparently it is not that hot but my point stands, their culture has a different view of the body) and everyone dresses like that?

To be fair I was thinking the same thing until I read where she's from. :)

aisha.christine
March 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM
... RIO DI JANERO

Uh, it's hot there and everyone dresses like that?

To be fair I was thinking the same thing until I read where she's from. :)

Rio de Janeiro isn't actually that hot. It's a fairly temperate zone; the hottest it usually gets is mid 80's Fahrenheit. The lowest is usually about mid 60's. If you live there, the weather would seem fairly balmy. To people living in snowy regions, I guess this is fairly hot, but not compared to other places, like the Middle East. :shrug:

Arya
March 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM
My guess would be that she DOES know how to put it up but it's becoming a pain or she wants a new look and she wants to cut it. She might get a little more mileage out of her story to up the price. Call me cynical, but it's TOTALLY what I would do. But I guess it's not totally unbelievable that she just doesn't know how to take care of her hair. I think she'd be better off monetizing it in a different way, like selling her own hair oil or advertising for a local hair-care-product company. Her hair is pretty spectacular.

holothuroidea
March 20th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Rio de Janeiro isn't actually that hot. It's a fairly temperate zone; the hottest it usually gets is mid 80's Fahrenheit. The lowest is usually about mid 60's. If you live there, the weather would seem fairly balmy. To people living in snowy regions, I guess this is fairly hot, but not compared to other places, like the Middle East. :shrug:

Oh, maybe it's not hot? I just picture beaches and a tropical climate. I was mistaken.

I do not think that the people in her culture would consider her as "dressed like a hooker," though. From what I've seen of Brazil (on film, admittedly) they do not have the same ideas of the body that American's do, much like Italy or Spain.

aisha.christine
March 20th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I do not think that the people in her culture would consider her as "dressed like a hooker," though. From what I've seen of Brazil (on film, admittedly) they do not have the same ideas of the body that American's do, much like Italy or Spain.

This, I absolutely agree with.
It's hard to get used to the idea of a culture being so completely different from ours, that it's strange to us to see someone dressed like that.
Not that it's a bad thing. I think she is gorgeous, but it's very alien to my culture to be dressed that way and not have a negative connotation tied to it.

elbow chic
March 20th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Looks like braidwaves to me. I don't believe for a second that she runs around with it loose all the time-- there is no way it'd look that good if she did. The bit about the fan is ridiculous. I'm sure the article was not well-researched. lol

And yeah, sometimes I forget... American girls/women's fashions are actually a lil on the baggy, puritanical side, by comparison with some places!

Beautiful hair on a beautiful girl. I wouldn't blame her for wanting to be rid of it though, that's a lot of upkeep for a youngster.

allio21
March 20th, 2012, 09:49 PM
When I was 12 my mom told me it was gross if I didn't wash my hair everyday. And I washed it everyday until I was 21.

JesusFreak88
March 20th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Did anyone else notice that she didn't really look happy in most of the pictures?

Charlotte:)
March 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Her hair is about as tall as I am! And IT'S SO THICK!!! If mine were that thick and healthy looking, I would totally grow it that long :D

P.S. Why is it that they only write articles about people with long hair when they are about to cut it off?

Johanna
March 21st, 2012, 06:18 AM
Did anyone else notice that she didn't really look happy in most of the pictures?
I noticed that too, her eyes just look so sad.

summergreen
March 21st, 2012, 07:07 AM
Beautiful hair. I can understand why she might want a more practical length, but waist, tailbone or classic would be manageable - particularly as she says she'll be sad to lose the length.

][quote=Wavelength;2051032]Yeah, the way the article was written makes me suspect that certain aspects of her hair care routine were highly exaggerated -- perhaps to pull in reader comments. Exaggeration in the Daily Fail, surely not??! ;)

Kinkycurlygurl
March 21st, 2012, 08:10 AM
I was appalled by the comments to the article. The commenters had really nasty things to say about a young girl.

Wavelength
March 21st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Exaggeration in the Daily Fail, surely not??! ;)

Heh, I didn't even notice it was the Daily Mail until someone else pointed it out. But yeah... surely not. :D

ilovelonghair
March 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
I would not have cut it off if I would have had hair like that at 12. But I do remember how hard it was to take care of since we didn't have the right shampoo and conditioner might have existed but I never heard of it (my mother bought hair care products, so I had no idea) Combing it out was a bit of a pain sometimes. Shame I didn't know the tricks I know now!

I wanted to mention that her hair might not be as long as it seems; she looks quite short.

Khiwanean
March 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM
I wanted to mention that her hair might not be as long as it seems; she looks quite short.She does seem quite short, except in the picture where she is out on the street with a bunch of people. There she looks like a giant compared to the adult men. That photo has got to be manipulated.

heidi w.
March 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM
She has a hair type that loads of people wish they had, and it's a LOT of hair to take care of. But she clearly is not in knowledge. Such as her wearing it down, loose every day, and this preventing her participation in school activities and sports. She could easily braid the length and be on her way. Someone should tell her about scalp washing, too. And no brushing.

But if she's unhappy and hates it, then it's time to go. But I think it would interest her to meet another person with long hair who loves their hair.

It should not take 1.5 hr to brush her hair. I bet it could be done in less than 30 minutes if she learned a few tricks.

She is clearly admired and known for her hair, somewhat mocked, and she just feels like an outsider in her own world. I feel badly for her as the world crushes to be like the US.

Additionally, in the comments people posted about her hairy legs. I didn't see that, and age 12, is right about the time that little girls learn to shave. Again, someone just hasn't shown her yet. I wish people would lay off. They're so nasty, and so critical. This little girl needs a little bit of help and to feel that she fits in.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Heh, I didn't even notice it was the Daily Mail until someone else pointed it out. But yeah... surely not. :D

Oh, so is the Daily Fail known to post articles that are completely fake? I didn't know that. I don't keep up.

Pictures did look out of proportion. Those men should be taller than she is!!

heidi w.

holothuroidea
March 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM
*snip*

Additionally, in the comments people posted about her hairy legs. I didn't see that, and age 12, is right about the time that little girls learn to shave. Again, someone just hasn't shown her yet. I wish people would lay off. They're so nasty, and so critical. This little girl needs a little bit of help and to feel that she fits in.

I don't think it's common for women to shave their legs in Brazil.

heidi w.
March 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM
This girl has gorgeous hair! It's too bad she's cutting it, but I don't think I could have handled all that hair at 12, either. She needs LHC to learn more long hair hairstyles :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2117592/Natasha-Moraes-Andrade-Real-life-Rapunzel-12-cuts-hair-time.html

Rag mags like this seems to be make money on "drama". Such as whole bottle of shampoo to wash the hair. That, I KNOW is untrue. If she used that much shampoo her hair would be icky, sticky!!

It is valid to complain about swimming in the ocean with such hair, but if she just braided it, that would make it a whole lot easier. And people in her region with a lot shorter hair definitely braid their hair, so why she can't, or why her mother couldn't assist her with braiding, I'll never know.

It makes money to pander to people's myths regarding the care of long hair. There isn't a thing I can't do, long hair and all.

heidi w.

Madora
March 21st, 2012, 10:59 AM
Rag mags like this seems to be make money on "drama". Such as whole bottle of shampoo to wash the hair. That, I KNOW is untrue. If she used that much shampoo her hair would be icky, sticky!!

It is valid to complain about swimming in the ocean with such hair, but if she just braided it, that would make it a whole lot easier. And people in her region with a lot shorter hair definitely braid their hair, so why she can't, or why her mother couldn't assist her with braiding, I'll never know.

It makes money to pander to people's myths regarding the care of long hair. There isn't a thing I can't do, long hair and all.

heidi w.

After looking at the photos again, you can bet your wide tooth comb she has braided her hair..a lot..over the decades! It's very evident from those braid waves. She may not know how to do much with it, but she (or her mother) knows how to braid it.

lapushka
March 21st, 2012, 11:02 AM
After looking at the photos again, you can bet your wide tooth comb she has braided her hair..a lot..over the decades! It's very evident from those braid waves. She may not know how to do much with it, but she (or her mother) knows how to braid it.

Her bangs are as wavy as her hair, so I'm thinking those aren't braid waves.

Covet
March 21st, 2012, 11:28 AM
I agree it's odd she doesn't put it up... can't imagine she doesn't !!! I'm sure there is some media deformation in there, it just doesn't seem realist that she wouldn't think of putting it up somehow, or braiding it, to use the fan in the house during summer heat... !

I agree! Her mum is wearing a hair tie in one of the pictures, so she at least knows how to tie her hair back and get it out of the way. I wonder why she supposedly didn't do the same for her daughter. And a bottle of shampoo a week? :run:

jacqueline101
March 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'm glad someone will get benefits from the hair.

Henrietta
March 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM
I do not see how one can be a prisoner of ones hair. Braiding! Bunning! This will make her spent 10 times less on combing and detangling. She can't take part in PE classes? Let's think... Braiding! Bunning!
This article made me really irritated. Hair is presented as the worst thing in her life. Takes time, power, money, childhood and freedom. It doesn't have to be so. Improper care causes it.

Woods Nymph
March 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, that is definitely a fishy article. (Daily Fail! Bahaha! I've never heard that one before!)
I'll just say, for the 50th time, what everyone else has been saying: a WHOLE bottle of shampoo!? Come on, now!
And her hair is longer than I am tall...haha! That's grand!

melusine963
March 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
I didn't click on the link because I refuse to increase the Daily Fail's viewer numbers, but reading the comments was fun. I wish there were a way to see the picture without clicking though.

Merlin
March 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Oh, so is the Daily Fail known to post articles that are completely fake? I didn't know that. I don't keep up.

No, the Mail is scrupulous in it's quest for accuracy.

Thousands of people in the UK rely on it for their understanding of a wide range of social issues, health matters and the lives and culture of people in other lands. In fact I would say that the Mail has gone a long way to achieving the breadth of understanding and awareness which are characteristic of many in the UK today

GlennaGirl
March 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM
No, the Mail is scrupulous in it's quest for accuracy.

Thousands of people in the UK rely on it for their understanding of a wide range of social issues, health matters and the lives and culture of people in other lands. In fact I would say that the Mail has gone a long way to achieving the breadth of understanding and awareness which are characteristic of many in the UK today

^ Even we Yanks who don't normally read TDM know you're having us on, Merlin. :D

Anywhere
March 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Slightly OT, but, being overweight is not a sign of wealth. In fact, it's the people living in poverty that are more likely to be overweight because processed foods are usually cheaper per calorie, and well. Calories are energy, so more energy for less money. :shrug:

And maybe that's just her face. People always ask me what's wrong or that I look upset, but in all honesty, most of the time, it's just my face. :p

GlennaGirl
March 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM
Slightly OT, but, being overweight is not a sign of wealth. In fact, it's the people living in poverty that are more likely to be overweight because processed foods are usually cheaper per calorie, and well. Calories are energy, so more energy for less money. :shrug:

And maybe that's just her face. People always ask me what's wrong or that I look upset, but in all honesty, most of the time, it's just my face. :p

That is really very true. But also look at the inside of her house. Her flooring is cute and the tiles in her bathroom are better than mine. :D

That plus the nail polish plus the $1000 (give or take) per year in shampoo plus the green nail polish = a sensationalized story at the very least.

But you're right about weight and poverty. 100% spot-on.

jeanniet
March 21st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Rio does get quite hot, and because it's a tropical climate the sun is much stronger than in the US. I moved there from a temperate climate (SF Bay Area), and believe me, Rio is not even remotely temperate! We usually didn't consider it a really hot day unless it hit 40C, though. What typically happens is the heat and humidity build until it rains, then it cools off, then the heat builds again, so it might not be very hot for a long period of time, but it does get hot. It also doesn't cool off the way the SF Bay Area does because the ocean is also very warm, whereas the Pacific off SF is very cold.

Women in Brazil do shave (or rather, wax), but since this girl is apparently from the favelas (slums), her financial situation may be quite dire, or perhaps her family feels she is too young. The article's details are very peculiar, anyway, and it's hard to believe that it's entirely true. I can't imagine being in Rio's heat and humidity with hair that long and loose!

Fairytale
March 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
I think the mother should help her 12 yr old daughter a little more with her hair like braiding and bunning and maybe she will not feel like she is in "prison ":rolleyes: like the article says.

She can learn to love and enjoy life with it as well , thats my opinion .:D

About the shampoo I wouldnt doubt them buying a bottle a week lots of people still dont know and feel the WHOLE hair needs to be washed clean from dust and dirt.(oh well):rolleyes:

3azza
March 21st, 2012, 02:22 PM
First, wow, gorgeous hair.
The comments on that website are so constipated, intolerant, uhhh.
About the time her hair consumes; it does not have to be that way?! I used to spend fifteen minutes every other day to wash/condition/detangle my hair when it was shoulder length, and i still spend the same time past tailbone!

julya
March 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
My hair is about the same length as the girl from the story, and I know if I left mine down all day it would take over an hour to get all the tangles out! So the hour and a half doesn't sound so far off to me.

Safira
March 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM
A bottle of shampoo a week? I would understand conditioner a week but shampoo...

TheMechaGinger
March 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM
I feel like I'm just echoing everybody else but I've gotta say it! A bottle a week? Length doesn't change how much shampoo you use, I thought this was common knowledge? And I feel like just a basic braid or cinnabun would save her so much grief. It's too bad they're making long beautiful hair out to be such a hassle when it's really so much more manageable than that. But I do agree, it's great that she has the opportunity to help her family with her hair

gibsongirl71
March 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Why not just cut it to BSL length. She has gorgeous hair! If she bobs it, her hair will just be an uber pyramid shape and not look good.

Merlin
March 22nd, 2012, 03:15 AM
^ Even we Yanks who don't normally read TDM know you're having us on, Merlin. :D

Actually, The Mail does have huge readership figures (http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/do/live/factsAndFigures?newspaperID=10) - around 2million copies a day which for a population the size of the UK isn't bad at all. If you look at the figures the over 50s 'middle classes' are probably the largest single demographic group. I'd say, though I can't quantify this, that it's readership is almost totally conservative voting, and probably towards the right-wing end of the Tory party.

Unlike the 'Red Tops' as we call tabloids like The Sun and The Daily Star which have a reputation for being, as one cartoonist once quipped, "nukes, tits and bingo" (they have a lot of competitions and a topless young lady on Page 3 of The Sun) The Mail is seen by it's readership as a quality paper which produces quality journalism; it's not bought casually for bit of fun, a bit of half-dressed young lady and the competitions the way many of the other tabloids.

lolot
March 22nd, 2012, 03:37 AM
she looks really big compared to the other people next to her, did someone noticed that too?

Merlin
March 22nd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Sort of 'follow up' item on the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17043055

Get to the end to see how much, realistically, hair is worth...

GlennaGirl
March 22nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
(snip)

Unlike the 'Red Tops' as we call tabloids like The Sun and The Daily Star which have a reputation for being, as one cartoonist once quipped, "nukes, tits and bingo" (they have a lot of competitions and a topless young lady on Page 3 of The Sun) The Mail is seen by it's readership as a quality paper which produces quality journalism; it's not bought casually for bit of fun, a bit of half-dressed young lady and the competitions the way many of the other tabloids.

Okay, well, sounds like a party! :cheese: :D

Othala
March 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM

I'm not sure that it is a true reflection of the hair market. Perhaps it is true for an ordinary head of hair that is not very long. The reason I say this is a few years back a Pakistani friend of mine (in London) with virgin hip-length hair sold her hair for £3,000.00. Another friend of hers, hearing about this, who had auburn (henna'd) waist-length hair sold her hair for £1,800.00.

There is a specialist market for long hair in excellent condition out there and it can be quite lucrative especially if you have a fast growth rate and that is your thing (it is not mine).

Clem_Dela
March 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
If only she knew of the cable braid, and of hair sticks...!!

Knotted
March 22nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Sort of 'follow up' item on the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17043055

That was an interesting article, thanks for sharing it!

Vasilissa
March 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
It reminds me of myself... :( I remember myself aged 3 looking in the mirror and leaning my head down to make my hair look longer... I wanted to grow it long.. and fast!

I grew and so my hair did as well.. Trims weren't banned ofcourse. Funny enough, besides wanting for it to be long I also had that lust to feel "How is it to have it short?". :p At the age of 13 it was long enough to sit on it and at that time I have finally decided to cut it.

The lower layer could hardly reach my shoulders. I was happy and truly enjoyed the fun for few years! But then I felt that I miss my long hair and started the "journey of hair-growth".

It takes less then a minute to cut it off and a lots of care combined with patience, and muliplied by years to grow it back.

I hope she won't regret her decision afterwards. :blossom:

Celtic Morla
March 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
I think th egirl is trying more to market he rhair to a buyer thru the article. Shame they have to sell it. I once had an offer os $200 for my mid back length blond hair because it was quite blond and in very good shape.I turned it down