PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Salon Experience

MissEarlGrey
March 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Phew! The nervous anxiety that I had leading up to my first hair appointment in a year is GONE! I went to the Serendipity Salon in Ann Arbor, Michigan. And they were totally LHC-friendly.

My stylist was in throes over my hair and the condition of it. She was awed of my knowledge of oiling, co-washing, detangling, and updos. She said I had one of the most unique heads of hair she'd ever seen, she said, and I quote: "I can't really describe it, it's thick and coarse and blond. It's like you have blond Asian hair." What a funny and appreciated compliment! Her and the other stylist there were petting me for a good 5 minutes; they were astonished that my hair color was all natural with no added highlights (they thought for sure I had done something to get them) I told them no, I'd just spent the weekend outside in the sunshine. :)

She trimmed me up neat (apparently, in my year of self-trimming, I'd let one side of my hair get an inch longer than the other!) and was really vying to attempt to get my hair to wave. I told her "Give it all you got, because this hair won't do it for me".

Well, one rinse, pinch, olive oil with leave in, and 45 minute cool dryer session later. I was left with random stick-outs at the crown and kinky oily crunchy ends. I like of looked like I slept in a compost pile. But I warned her :P! Overall I was super happy with my experience and even though the style wasn't great, I'm glad she could play with my hair because I know she was dying to because all the other patrons were dyed-flat-ironed-shoulder-length sorts of folks.

Just thought I'd share!

AnqeIicDemise
March 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
yay! I love too hear about positive experiences.

whitedove
March 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I always found it funny when hairdressers would ask if my natural colour :rolleyes: But I am glad you and the hairdressers had fun :D

heidi w.
March 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yep, whenever I walk into a salon, a crowd eventually forms around my hair for its uniqueness. It's kind of embarassing.

I'm glad you had a good experience and liked your experience. It does feel better to have hair all organized and trimmed up.

heidi w.

Tabitha
March 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I love to hear about happy salon experiences to counterbalance some of the hairdresser-bashing that goes on here. I believe the vast majority of hairdressers want to make their clients happy.

spidermom
March 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oh how nice; I'm so glad to hear of your happy experience.

ktani
March 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Great that you had such a positive experience.

I honestly do not believe great salon experiences are that rare. People tend to remember the worst ones most. I have in the past.

I have also had great ones too. I treasure those.

ETA: It can be difficult to find a great stylist in a certain area. It can also be difficult to find a great dentist or doctor in a certain area. It is worth the time and trouble to seek them out though.

lapushka
March 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
What a great experience. I'm happy for you. :)

Amber_Maiden
March 20th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Sounds like a great, no- an AWESOME- experience!

FashionMonstHER
March 20th, 2012, 04:54 PM
sounds great...i went to a salon once and asked for a trim...BUT they managed to cut off a lot of my hair...i was so sad...but I'm happy you had a good experience. :-)

Firefly
March 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM
A great salon experience is a wonderful thing! I'm happy for you. :flower:

Alvrodul
March 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I am really happy that you told about your good salon experience - usually we get the horror stories.

I am very happy for you!! :flower:

long&blonde
March 20th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Glad you had an awesome salon experience!
I was in today for white roots touched up dark blonde, the salon kind of "hooked me on". In describing a customer my age (57) my length (BCL) the stylist said "We are giving her lowlights,so her white roots coming in look blonde by contrast.." "That's what I wanted when I came here!" I replied. Silence. "Her chin length cut took 2 p years off her." Leaving. 4 short haired customers were raving over my double french braids:as the stylist tried to change the subject. I know its a competitive business, and they try to get repeat consistent customers.
I get the same "they try to trap you into coming every 4 weeks" for more & more services feeling, as I used to at the nail salons.

iSuperHeroic
March 20th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I went to a salon the other day to get my hair trimmed and dyed. And when I said I was trying to grow it out she understood.

From what I could tell she hadn't even cut off 1/2 an inch.

I was so happy and will be sure to go to her again.

AnqeIicDemise
March 20th, 2012, 09:22 PM
We all need to hear positive things about salons and what have you. Some of us are just too afraid to try self trimming (me) others simply can't do it because of mobility issues... If more people were to post our positive experiences, it'd be so much easier to find a salon for someone else to frequent. I haven't found a single LHC friendly salon in my neighborhood in the list someone started.

BrightEyes
March 22nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Thank you for sharing, it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I love going to the salon. My hairstylist and friend has been doing my hair for years and I look forward to my visits with her. And she does an awesome job with my hair:D

afu
March 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
i go to a trainee stylist every 8-10weeks to have the roots of my highlights done, every time she wants to cut it to make it look fuller - everytime i tell her 'not just yet!'. One day i will let her do me a trim, i know the ends look a bit straggly, but until i've got a bit more growth i'm not willing to let those ends go! ..maybe she'll get her way in summer! She is lovely, i think she just feels like she's done an incomplete job when i wont let her cut or dry it