PDA

View Full Version : Goal: Waist-Length

GlennaGirl
March 20th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hey friends! (Why does that sound creepy?) Whose goal is waist (or who is at waist and is stopping there)?

After a few years of waffling and after having played with short layered hair (fun, seriously fun), I have decided to grow again, and I would like to go waist length. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go longer than that. It will be the longest I've ever been.

My hair is thin and fine.

Just wanted to get a thread rolling. :) It's been a billion years since I started a thread.

lovinglocks
March 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM
The longest my hair has been in my adult life is BSL, and I'm thinking I want to go to waist. My hair is also quite fine. I cut my hair to a bit shorter than chin length last june to donate my hair, so I figured it would be a good fresh start for me and my hair.

MaryMarx
March 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hi friend! ;)
I have decided to try and grow to waist. I have no idea if I will make it. I've had SL hair all my life so it will be an interesting journey.

There is something about WL that makes me think that is where I will be happy about the length. Don't know what it is though. Maybe it looks so free and flowing. :)

fridgee
March 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM
My goal is waist too! Longest I've ever been is about bra strap, but would love to get to waist for my wedding (year and a half's time), not sure I'll quite make it, but at least with all the stuff I've learnt here whatever length its at it will be an awful lot longer and healthier than if I'd carried on as I was with all that nasty heat!

GlennaGirl
March 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hurray, glad to see you all! <3

CarpeDM
March 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
For the past two years my goal has been waist! I am hoping this year I will finally make it :)

rock007junkie
March 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I'll keep it at wasit for 2 years or so because I want to thicken up my hemline and get rid of some layers. After that I'll decide if I want to keep growing.

racrane
March 20th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I, too, had fun with short hair but I love having long hair. The longest I had was waist in high school so I know I can do it again. The longest I'd go is hip length, but I'm excited to have longer hair again.

spidermom
March 20th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Very cool, GG; happy growing!

BrightEyes
March 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I changed my goal from BSL to MBL, but have recently been thinking that I may want to try for waist (which is really only 3 inches past BSL on me). Waist length is such a pretty length.

I just have to somehow get past shoulder length, my current hurdle:rolleyes:

Sillage
March 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hey friends! (Why does that sound creepy?)

I say this ALL THE TIME-- hope I don't sound too creepy when I say it :laugh:

Anyway, waist is my goal and I am a loooooong way from it. My current mini goal is APL. Feels like it's going to take forever!

Sillage
March 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
whoops double post!

XcaliburGirl
March 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
My goal is officially waist. Some days I want shoulder length, some days I want knee length, but most days I am pretty sure waist is the right goal for me.

I like being able to wear my hair down, but 90&#37; of the time I prefer it up, so I need it to be long enough to do a variety of updos.

I have had my hair as long as classic, but it usually starts to get on my nerves when it is that long.

battles
March 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I may stop at waist, or I may not. I'll have to see when I get there, since I've never had hair longer than shoulder length before. It is my current "final goal" though.

Oksana
March 20th, 2012, 02:29 PM
My goal is waist. I am 2.5" away from my ends reaching it but I have over 5" of layers to grow out. So in reality I have 8" of hair to grow before being officially at my goal and I hope to reach this by summer 2013.

I think that this is where I will maintain but I may possibly grow to hip if it doesn't feel long enough :o

Ligeia_13
March 20th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Mine is!! Always has been. Never quite been there. I really hope this year is the lucky one for me.

Babyfine
March 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Me!!:waving:

The longest my hair has ever been is BSL/MBL. I was a few inches from waist Jan 2011 and cut it back to shoulder due to frustration with thin ends.
My original goal was terminal but I adjusted that to WL awhile ago.
My hair is fine and thin and wurly and I think waist would be the best of both worlds for me, short enough to wear down on occasion but long enough to do so many styles I still can't do yet do to it's not long enough.

P.S. I know what you mean about layers being fun-my hair is too fine/thin to have them much longer than APL, though.
I really want to stay the course this time!

QMacrocarpa
March 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Waist's where I'm headed too. I think I'll get there by the end of 2013.

HappyHair87
March 20th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm definitely trying to get back to WL! I miss it SO bad! But my hair is MUCH thicker and fuller and grows slightly faster than when i was relaxed!

This was my hair when i was relaxed a few months before i BC'd to go natural. I am now a little bit past APL...about an inch past.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=129204&albumid=9555&dl=1332274917&thumb=1

pink.sara
March 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hey friend :waving:

Waist is my goal. I think I should be there by Christmas 2013/2014. Which would be 5 epic years of growing!

I think there's something really aesthetically beautiful about waist length hair and how it emphasises all the best curves on a womans figure.

*Sets up camp*

Arashi
March 20th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Waist also is my goal. :) Right now I'm either at BSL or extremely close, so I'm hoping I'll be at waist by the end of the year, or perhaps the first half of 2013. I went from a bit past shoulder to BSL in something like 7 months, so I think late 2012/early 2013 is going to be about right for me to reach waist.

Happy growing everyone!

GlennaGirl
March 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Oooo! So many friends headed toward Waistland with me. (jumping up and down)

I haven't figured the actual month (approx.) that I'll get there as I don't know if I'll be mini-trimming in there somewhere. So I'm just gonna enjoy the ride. :)

Covet
March 20th, 2012, 06:01 PM
:D
Eventually I'd love to get to waist! I have a lot of damage to cut out though and I honestly hate it and want it gone as soon as possible. As my goal is to have WL virgin hair, I think I'll make a pit stop at BSL, do a lot of trimming for a few months and then continue on to waist if I can handle having that many curls!

jessa
March 20th, 2012, 07:17 PM
My goal is waist by the end of this year (2012.) Im currently around BSL and last trim was in Jan 2012 and Id really like to go the year without trimming again. Still trying to decide weather to straighten my hemline when I get there or grow out to Hip. Im thinking I will want to go to Hip though.

Good luck and happy growing :)

dwell_in_safety
March 20th, 2012, 07:21 PM
My goal is waist! I was there twice before, in high school and earlier in college, and it seems like just about the longest I'd go. This time, though, I want it to be that long AND wonderfully healthy. I *may* change my goal to TBL when I get to waist, if it seems not long enough, but I know I would never go past that. Butt and beyond is not for me.

aldasbeke
March 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
My original goal was waist, but now that I'm only a few inches away from that, I think I'm going to end up continuing on to hip or tailbone. However, once I do get completely to waist, I think I'm going to maintain it there for awhile and thicken up the hemline a bit before growing some more!

Good luck with your hair goals!

mzBANGBANG
March 20th, 2012, 07:57 PM
My first goal is waist! At that point I'll do some major maintenance in order to get the hemline I want (as others have mentioned, I am also growing out layers). Once I get there I'll decide if I can manage it longer. I can't see myself realistically growing past my elbows.

Vanilla
March 20th, 2012, 08:20 PM
My goal is waist also. I may decide to continue growing after waist, we'll see though. I also grew my hair to waist in high school, and it took 4 years from shoulder length.

I am hoping that growing to waist this time around will take a little shorter.

turtlelover
March 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I've always said that my goal was BSL, but I really, really have been craving waist length hair lately. Maybe I should officially change my goal....hmmmm.....

Actually, I started off saying my goal was shoulder length, come to think of it.... LOL

auroraclio
March 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
My goal is waist although i've never had it longer than APL in my life, have no idea how i'll feel in the 2 years it will take to grow to WL.

Quetiepi
March 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM
My hair is at waist length and I have decided to maintain this length. When it gets and inch or two longer, I get a trim and this keeps the hemline looking think and full and the split ends at bay.
I wear my hair down most of the time and practice benign neglect. My hair is thick enough to carry waist off pretty well.

Allychan
March 20th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I am with you on this 'my friend'. My main goal this year is waist length, hopefully by August. I intend to maintain there until my scraggy ends are gone, hopefully by Christmas. After that I will decide if I will go to TBL or just stay in Waistland.

Ps. I love the feel of hair touching the back of my elbows, that's when it really feels long:cheese:

CurlyCap
March 20th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Yep! Waist for me!

Thing is, I'm shooting for waist curly, which means something absurd like classic straight. My curls don't stretch when long so I've got a loooooooooooong journey ahead of me.

I think it will be fun. The longest I've been as an adult is BSL curly which was BCL straight.

My goal for the next year is APL curly. I've got freshly trimmed ends so it's just grooooooowing time from here!

t_ballet26
March 21st, 2012, 04:39 AM
My goal is waist length with all the henna cut out. I have about 16 inches of henna currently and am APL. I will need to grow at least 22.5 more inches to reach my goal. I have about 6.5 inches to go before I get to waist length, then I will maintain there.
Best case scenario is Waist Dec 2012 with Henna out by May 2014.
Worst case scenario Waist by April 2013 with Henna out by April 2017. :( so depressing
Why the big range? I don't know what my growth rate is yet. I only have 3 months of data so far.
Month 1: 3/4" using monistat
Month 2: 7/8" using Msm
Month 3: 3/8" using neither

XcaliburGirl
March 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM
My growth rate seems to be slightly faster than the .5" per month supposed average. So, I plan on .5" per month and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I'll get there sometime in the middle of 2014, I think.

Carissamarie08
March 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM
My goal is waist and I want to stop there. Couldn't imagine myself with anything longer. I am currently at BSL.

NaiadOreiad
March 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM
My current goal is waist, my ultimate goal would be hip. I think for the past year, its been going very slowly from different stressful days, mechanical damage.

I was only about 3 inches away from waist in february (the longest my hair has ever been), but a scissor happy stylist trimmed me all the way back to 23 inches (solid waist on me is 29) :( .so i have been set back a bit, however it seems like i am making progress now that the chemfried ends have been sacrificed.

Happy growing!

GlennaGirl
March 21st, 2012, 10:05 AM
There is some beautiful hair on this thread! Welcome, everybody!

So, any cool hairstyles today? I just have a standard cinnabun using Good Hair Days pins (el cheap-o, but I LOVE these). I'm in "put it up all day" mode so I don't fuss with it.

GlennaGirl
March 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM
I am with you on this 'my friend'. My main goal this year is waist length, hopefully by August.

I don't think you're scraggly, I think you're elven! But then again I'm starting to really love ends that begin to fairytale.

GlennaGirl
March 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM
My hair is at waist length and I have decided to maintain this length. When it gets and inch or two longer, I get a trim and this keeps the hemline looking think and full and the split ends at bay.
I wear my hair down most of the time and practice benign neglect. My hair is thick enough to carry waist off pretty well.

Great googly moogly, it's thick, all right! And golden. Very pretty!

Zindell
March 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
I think my goal is waist length! Mid back or waist... I will see what looks best on me.
I'm quite short; 5'1'' so I I won't go any further than waist because then I think I'll look like cousin Itt. :p

My hair is now approx. BSL. A bit longer than on my profile pic...

MaryRose
March 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
I had a pixie cut about 3 years ago. This is when I started my hair growing journey. My dream hair has always been around waist length. After joining LHC and seeing the longer lengths, I still want waist length hair. I am at BSL right now and should have my dream hair in a few months. I had BSL+ hair in 8th grade and ever since my hair has been between pixie and BSL. This will be the first time to grow to WL. I don't want to grow longer because then I would not be able to keep my hair down as I do now. I think WL is the ideal length for versitility.

MissAlida
March 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm in aswell. I'm at 'can I call this BSL' stage, this is the longest my hair has ever been, and I'm loving it this far. I was very close to cutting my hair back to a pixie before I found LHC, so I can say that the forum had saved my hair.I planning on growing slowly and thickening my hemline up before hitting waist. That is my ultimate goal. A nice, healthy, thick waist lenght. I hope I'll make it, but I'd be content with MBL aswell.:D

jennescence
March 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM
My goal has always been waist, no longer, no shorter:) The perfect length(to me)

Jing
March 22nd, 2012, 04:56 AM
I had waist length hair when I was younger, so I'm kind of going back to my roots. :p It's been years since I last had hair longer than ear-length, so I'm already very discombobulated. I can feel my hair against my collar bones when it's down, combing it actually involves a lot of movement... It's all weird! I haven't had it cut for over a year (because I'm too stingy, not because I have a no-trim policy :rolleyes:). Probably really due a dusting by now.

ladyfitzgerald
March 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
My goal is also waist! I usually let my hair to to
APL then I cut to above SL. Longest I've had it
was BSL. I'm an up for the challenge :) i'm 1 inch
or so away from BSL!!!!

GlennaGirl
March 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
How's everybody doing?

I wore my hair up most of this week but today it's down. :) It's still very short so that really isn't a problem at this point.

Excited to be growing again. :)

Ligeia_13
March 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
^I've been really really good these past two weeks. I've had my hair up every day, do a scalp massage every night before bed and then sleep with it in a braid :D

Knotted
March 24th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I really want to get to waist, but feel like I have such slow growing hair! My mini goal is BSL, but I'm only just brushing the top, so still feel like I'm at APL+. Come on, waist length!

millyaulait
March 24th, 2012, 07:28 AM
My goal is waist too! :D

I'm very near APL, but I think it'll take me... 2 years!... To get to WL.

Oh, well. I will be happy enough once I reach BSL, then ecstatic at waist!

coderred
March 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
My hair is currently just past BSL curly. I think my goal is waist. I guess it should hit that fairly soon. Although, curls grow funny.
I change my mind constantly about how long I want my hair. Maybe what I really want is "shoulder-wide" hair.

Lissandria
March 24th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hey there!
I'm in this thread. I have always wanted waist length hair, but the longest I have ever been is BSL. Once I get to waist I will re-evaluate my goal based on how I feel with waist length hair and my ends. I would love to have hip length hair, but that is probably as long as I would go, especially due to my hair being so thin and my lower torso being so long. I really do think waist is such a flattering length, and it's definitely long, but not too long.

jojo
March 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
My goal was originally waist when I first joined here and ive just cut back from hip to just below waist. My hair seems better at this length, although I still love the look of classic length hair I am thinking of staying at waist.

Good luck to you all in reaching waist, its such a pretty length!

GlennaGirl
March 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I really want to get to waist, but feel like I have such slow growing hair! My mini goal is BSL, but I'm only just brushing the top, so still feel like I'm at APL+. Come on, waist length!

I'm a slower grower too...or technically average, usually 1/2" per month, but it does end up taking some time to get anywhere with my hair!

GlennaGirl
March 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
My goal was originally waist when I first joined here and ive just cut back from hip to just below waist. My hair seems better at this length, although I still love the look of classic length hair I am thinking of staying at waist.

Good luck to you all in reaching waist, its such a pretty length!

Thanks ((jojo))!

utdesertrunner
March 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Waist is my goal too! I think it is so flattering. I'm hanging out at shoulder right now too.

dRummie
March 24th, 2012, 11:07 PM
It's my goal to see how waist will look on me. I think that length looks fantastic in general, but who knows whether my fine hair will keep any volume when it's that long.

zombi
March 24th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Waist is my goal, too! I think it's a beautiful length of long, pretty hair but I also think it's not so long my thin & fine hair will start to look odd to me. (:

Isa Ferrara
March 25th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Waist length is my goal as well. I've been there before but not for about 5 years. I miss it, and I'm hoping to protect and take amazing care of my hair until then!

Currently at... PIXIE. Yup. Should take me a while, I don't even want to measure right now lol. I just bought a wig for that awkward mullet phase I'm about to go through. I feel like my hair grows pretty fast, maybe 12" to 18" per year, but I'm not sure totally. Gonna take some current pics I think!

XcaliburGirl
March 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Waist length is my goal as well. I've been there before but not for about 5 years. I miss it, and I'm hoping to protect and take amazing care of my hair until then!

Currently at... PIXIE. Yup. Should take me a while, I don't even want to measure right now lol. I just bought a wig for that awkward mullet phase I'm about to go through. I feel like my hair grows pretty fast, maybe 12" to 18" per year, but I'm not sure totally. Gonna take some current pics I think!
Here's my obligatory plug for the Super-Shorties thread ;), if you haven't seen it yet: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&page=942

Perelka74
March 25th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I would love reach this goal but I am not sure if I can make it . I am just at APL + with 3.5-4.5 inches to go until I reach BSL and from there I am looking at maybe 4 inches to waist . I would be happy if I can reach BSL by christmas .

blondie9912
March 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Another aspiring waist-lengther here! :cheese:

I think almost all newbies that come here have the initial goal of waist for some reason, it appears to be the perfect length for many. Long enough for people to go "Wow, your hair is LONG", but not so lengthy that you can't wear it down. Can't wait to reach it!

Valfreyja
March 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Well, we'll see how it goes. If it looks like it can handle more growth at BSL without looking too staggly I'll promise to continue to waist! I just can't imagine my hair ever getting that long again, but loads of people here supposedly said that and their hair shot down to pretty extreme lengths.

And I agree that waist is one of the prettier ones to my taste, probably because it emphasises the curves so much. Although I really do think that ideal-looking length depends on the person, because our bodies and hair and styles are all so different.

lundmir
March 25th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I had originally planned to grow back to tailbone, but remembered it got everywhere and couldn't have it down too much. So waist it is, I love to have my hair down.