PDA

View Full Version : Finger-combers unite!!!

rock007junkie
March 20th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Have any of you kicked your comb and brushes to the side? I recently have. A year ago I started using a Denman. For some reason a lot of hair kep coming out. Then I moved on to a tangle-teezer. I loved that thing!!!! However, my curls/ waves were almost non-existent because of the constant brushing. I started just using my finger to detangle (still use the occasional BBB to smooth the front when doing a bun) but I'm loving the results. My curls are returning!!!!

Any more of you out there??

pepperminttea
March 20th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'm not a fingercombing-only person, but my fingers do all the real work. :D I fingercomb to start with, and then when I can't find any more tangles with those, I go over it with a wide-toothed comb once or twice to make sure it's tangle-free and to smooth it out. I don't think I could go back now, it's so much easier to gauge how much force you're using with your fingers, so you can keep it gentle. :)

fridgee
March 20th, 2012, 07:06 AM
No brushes for me, finger combing all the way! So much gentler and an excuse to play with my hair and not feel guilty!

rock007junkie
March 20th, 2012, 08:04 AM
No brushes for me, finger combing all the way! So much gentler and an excuse to play with my hair and not feel guilty!

Haha! Another reason to love it. You get to play with your hair!!

I'm not a fingercombing-only person, but my fingers do all the real work. :D I fingercomb to start with, and then when I can't find any more tangles with those, I go over it with a wide-toothed comb once or twice to make sure it's tangle-free and to smooth it out. I don't think I could go back now, it's so much easier to gauge how much force you're using with your fingers, so you can keep it gentle. :)

Definitely! I have control knowing that I'll be gentler than any brush or comb would be.

Charybdis
March 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I mostly fingercomb, but I also use a BBB and occasionally a Denman comb. But if I could use only one method, it would be fingercombing! No question.

long&blonde
March 20th, 2012, 08:47 AM
A new "old" method to try! Except I still am hooked on my center part:will need a comb for that.

MissAlida
March 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I'm a finger comber. I detangle it mostly with my fingers, then I use a wooden comb. I never brush. Fingers are the best, so much gentler than a comb.:)

ludwig20
March 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I've been finger-combing only when my hair is wet or damp recently. Once my hair is completely dry, there are a few tangles that require my wooden comb. But I agree that finger-combing is a gentle method - my plastic comb used to pull a lot of hair out.

Shepherdess
March 20th, 2012, 10:17 AM
It is really hard for me to finger comb my hair when wet because it curls so fast. I am still trying to switch to a wide tooth comb to detangle then use a bbb.

Kinkycurlygurl
March 20th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I'm doing a combo of finger combing, wide-toothed comb and super soft baby brush (when needed).

Hollyfire3
March 20th, 2012, 10:32 AM
What is the proper way to finger comb? I always feel as though i am pulling my hair out instead of detangling when i try finger combing....

whitedove
March 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I like finger combing too! But I do use a brush once a day because my scalp loves it :)

Hollyfire3
March 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I like finger combing too! But I do use a brush once a day because my scalp loves it :)

I LOVE your screen name, just had to say that:D!

SpinDance
March 20th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I don't only use my fingers, but I use them for the primary detangling work. I basically wriggle them a little after putting one or more through my hair, usually starting towards the bottom on down, then a bit higher on down, then higher on down, until I can essentially comb all of it with my fingers. It gets sort of 'fluffed' doing this, so when I finish I'll bring it back together to smooth it back down. I do this off and on through the day when I redo my buns. It lets me remove shed hairs so they don't cause trouble and also keeps tangles from forming.

It is much easier to tell when you are coming to a couple of hairs that have tied themselves together using fingers than anything else. I can then just catch those hairs and deal with the problem, either unknotting them or more often snipping whatever hair was the obvious offender. The more I remove these already damaged hairs that knot others up the nicer my hair is.

moon2dove
March 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm a finger comber. I detangle it mostly with my fingers, then I use a wooden comb. I never brush. Fingers are the best, so much gentler than a comb.:)

^^^ This is exactly what I do :)

Hollyfire3
March 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM
^^^ This is exactly what I do :)

I think finger combing is easier than i am making it out to be....i LOVE your name and profile pictures, i like doves.....

xoxophelia
March 20th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I usually go through my hair with a wide tooth comb before washing but I prefer to mostly finger comb.

rock007junkie
March 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
What is the proper way to finger comb? I always feel as though i am pulling my hair out instead of detangling when i try finger combing....

I try to do it as I did with a comb. I start on my ends moving up. I lose less hairs that way.

Hollyfire3
March 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I try to do it as I did with a comb. I start on my ends moving up. I lose less hairs that way.

Yeah, i was making it much harder and pulling strands apart....not fun. Thank you!

uptosomeone
March 20th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I mostly fingercomb. I do often detangle thoroughly with my wide-toothed comb before I shower, but after and in between I rarely do. My hair is so fine and straight and slippery that I don't usually get any tangle at all!