PDA

View Full Version : Hair colouring question

joflakes
March 20th, 2012, 02:02 AM
So, I've decided to make a change from my current hair (faded red, bleached to mid ginger underneath).

I want to go black or deepest brown and purple. I want most of my hair dark brown/black (near to my natural colour) and the underneath of my bangs and in front of my ears purple.

My question is...if you were me would you:

a) Use a permanent black/dark brown and just dye the bits I want purple with deposit only dye

b) Use a semi-permanent black/dark brown and dye the bits I want purple with deposit only dye

c) Dye all my hair with a purple deposit only dye for fun, then dye the bits I want black/dark brown when it has faded (either semi-permanent or permanent or natural)

d) Use an all natural product such as indigo to colour the black/dark brown bits and deposit only dye for the purple (even though you have no experience in such matters)

e) Other (please advise!)

Thanks so much! I always take the advice from here. I want to avoid damage as much as possible. The dark bits I will most likely just leave to grow....you can't really tell if I have roots or not from black dye anyway. It just makes my hair more glossy!

BBdck1
March 20th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I would choose B but I thought that semi-permanent and deposit only are the same thing.

Certain deposit only can be quite permanent especially with repeated use.

GoldberryHair
March 20th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I would use Ion Brilliant Permanant Dye in Black or Brown all over your hair (I used this when I dyed my hair back to my natural color and my friend uses it all the time when she changes her hair colour like every month lol) and then after that use Manic Panic to do the purple parts :) good luck!

Sillage
March 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I'd dye it all purple first with a deposit only dye :p I love purple-- especially pale lavender colored hair!

Anje
March 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I think I'd use a semi-permanent or deposit-only black/brown on the parts that are to be dark, and deposit-only purple for the purple parts. Especially with a drastic color change like what you're proposing, I think I'd avoid using any dye that's particularly permanent (which includes indigo, since it's problematic to remove) until I knew I loved how it looked.

joflakes
March 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone.
I guess the only issue with a deposit only brown or black is that it would run into the purple and make it less bright....

pink.sara
March 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone.
I guess the only issue with a deposit only brown or black is that it would run into the purple and make it less bright....

LOL, as I have black and purple hair and have used all the above methods I feel like I should chime in here ;)

I use B as my method now because it didn't take much to move my super dark brown natural colour to black. But... Straight over pre bleached red/ginger you may have an issue with semi permanent washing out, where a permanent will stay.

Also deposit only dark brown/black will definitely run out of pre-treated hair into the people and affect the colour.
So too will indigo. I used indigo twice last year in a 2 step method to have natural black and it stained my bleached streaks so badly I had to colour B4 it 3 times to lighten it back up :( which caused damage I wouldn't otherwise have. This kind of colour transfer is especially true where you have a bleached area, indigo loves to stick to it, even when it won't stay in undamaged hair?! Horrid stuff!
That's my 2 cents anyway :)

pink.sara
March 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Oh and by semi permanent I mean the UK version of that, which is a 24 wash dye with a weak peroxide developer to mix with the colour. I think the US calls it a demi?!

joflakes
March 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks! Yeah I'm in the UK and haven't even heard of a demi permanent. Haha. I guess the thing to do would be to try a semi-permanent one and then see if it is washing out loads. If it does....I'll take it from there! I may end up with dark brown which is fine by me anyway.

lapushka
March 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM
If it were me I'd go with b) - seems the least damaging out of all the options. No, I'd go with option e) leave it as it is. :p

joflakes
March 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
If it were me I'd go with b) - seems the least damaging out of all the options. No, I'd go with option e) leave it as it is. :p

Haha. It is a mess as it is! It was fun for a couple months but now I am fed up with roots and want to go back to dark again. You don't want to see my hair as it is now!! State! People keep asking me why I dyed it ginger...I didn't! It's just very faded red! Haha.

Avital88
March 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
i wouldnt recommend using a permanent black dye, ever! its so hard to get out..
Option B or D sound best to me.

joflakes
March 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you!

I think I'm getting a clear pattern here, haha!

BlazingHeart
March 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Just want to make sure you know this, but applying just indigo to your hair tends to turn it odd colors. Blue or green, as I recall. If you want to go the indigo route, you need a two step with henna.

joflakes
March 21st, 2012, 01:58 AM
Just want to make sure you know this, but applying just indigo to your hair tends to turn it odd colors. Blue or green, as I recall. If you want to go the indigo route, you need a two step with henna.

Hmm, thanks. I'll probably leave that then tbh!

I have decided on one of these I think:

http://www.superdrug.com/loreal/loreal-casting-creme-dark-chocolate-323/invt/525391/&bklist=icat,4,shop,hair,hr-colourants

http://www.superdrug.com/hair-colourants/herbalshine-brown-black-200/invt/538299/

Both have review saying that they are super dark but not black which is what I want. =)

pink.sara
March 21st, 2012, 03:47 AM
Hmm, thanks. I'll probably leave that then tbh!

I have decided on one of these I think:

http://www.superdrug.com/loreal/loreal-casting-creme-dark-chocolate-323/invt/525391/&bklist=icat,4,shop,hair,hr-colourants

http://www.superdrug.com/hair-colourants/herbalshine-brown-black-200/invt/538299/

Both have review saying that they are super dark but not black which is what I want. =)

The herbashine brown black is most definitely black, and I found it looks quite flat on me, plus it washed out lots for the first 4-5 washes which meant I had to go through the hassle of separating my purple to wash.
Obviously YRMV but Personally I'd go with the casting creme over herbashine, they tend to be good colours. (have used 4 or 5 of them)

joflakes
March 21st, 2012, 06:41 AM
The herbashine brown black is most definitely black, and I found it looks quite flat on me, plus it washed out lots for the first 4-5 washes which meant I had to go through the hassle of separating my purple to wash.
Obviously YRMV but Personally I'd go with the casting creme over herbashine, they tend to be good colours. (have used 4 or 5 of them)

I ended up buying the Casting one anyway! I got liquorice colour. :)