PDA

View Full Version : Spin pins! What are the style options?

RapunzelKat
March 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM
So I finally got some spin pins! :D I have to admit I was nervous about trying them... They looked like the sort of thing that would become permanently entangled in my hair and never come out shudder: But I've seen so many positive LHC comments on them, so I finally got brave and gave them a try. They worked great in today's cinnamon bun! It stayed pretty much all day without any adjustment, and still felt pretty good when I took it out this evening (Looked a little sloppy, but still felt good :D)

What I'm wondering is, what else can I do with these little guys? Can I use them in pretty much any kind of bun, like a braided bun or a nautilus bun? Or are they pretty much only safe to use for a few basic twisted buns? I'm hoping I can use them for quite a few things, since they're a little more comfortable than Magic Grips, and I still haven't gotten my hair convinced to stay up with hairsticks. :p

I would appreciate any feedback anyone has! I loved 'em, but I'm still a little afraid to experiment. :o I don't want to end up with spin pins permanently stuck in my hair! :cheese:

Also, does anybody know if you can buy spin pins with decorations on the top? I was thinking they would look so pretty, plus it would be easier to get a grip on them when you wanted to take them out. :D

PrairieRose
March 19th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Also, does anybody know if you can buy spin pins with decorations on the top? I was thinking they would look so pretty, plus it would be easier to get a grip on them when you wanted to take them out. :D
I did see spin pins that were very tiny with rhinestones on top. But I think they were for decoration or holding tiny pieces of hair in place, too small to actually hold a style.

bettylibertine
March 19th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Oooh spin pins with decorations would be so cool!
I use mine in pretty much all of my hairstyles - braided buns, cinnabuns etc.
I usually combine them with bobby pins though. They're also good for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_M_oSwRKfc) one - Loepsie's French antenna braid :)

lunalocks
March 19th, 2012, 10:24 PM
braided bun, seashell bus, braided seashell, french roll with seasell bun on top or over it, french roll with twisted roll on top - spin pins are fabulous. If they twist in, they will twist out.

dulce
March 19th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I use them in a lazywrap bun,,a folded over french braid,a half up in a bun,a french twist.

AlabasterAlice
March 19th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Using Spin Pins with decorations sounds so...well...against the point, for me. I use them when I want to hold my hair up with "nothing" so my hair is the decoration! Sometimes I will use them with a stick if the stick can't do the job on its own, but even then I wouldn't want anything on my spin pins.

Hope that makes sense.

RapunzelKat I usually do a figure eight bun, and stash one spin pin in each loop. It holds quite well. :)

dulce
March 19th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I use plain spin pins,I agree with AlabasterAlice.

RapunzelKat
March 19th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Thank you for your suggestions, everyone! I'm excited that there are so many options for my spin pins! I think I may go pick up some more tomorrow, and maybe some of the minis :D

Using Spin Pins with decorations sounds so...well...against the point, for me. I use them when I want to hold my hair up with "nothing" so my hair is the decoration! Sometimes I will use them with a stick if the stick can't do the job on its own, but even then I wouldn't want anything on my spin pins.

Hope that makes sense.

RapunzelKat I usually do a figure eight bun, and stash one spin pin in each loop. It holds quite well. :)

I use plain spin pins,I agree with AlabasterAlice.

I totally understand what you guys mean :agree: I actually really like the way the plain spin pins look too, I am also a fan of having my hair be the focus of the style! ;) Thing is, I am hairstick challenged so I'm not really able to wear anything decorative in my hair, which I do like to do sometimes :( So, it would be fun to have also have some decorated spin pins for times I do want decoration. :)

melusine963
March 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I have to admit I was nervous about trying them... They looked like the sort of thing that would become permanently entangled in my hair and never come out shudder:
I was worried about the same thing when I first got mine. Then I realised that's what the cleverly curved tops are for. :)

melusine963
March 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
They're also good for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_M_oSwRKfc) one - Loepsie's French antenna braid :)
Eeee! I love that hair style. I think I'll have to try it tomorrow (using my trusty spin pins, since I don't have a hairstick). Thank you for the link. :flower:

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 02:10 PM
There are so many styles that these babies can hold! They hold my top nautilus bun and braided buns extra nice.

QMacrocarpa
March 20th, 2012, 02:58 PM
One option is to slide a (sturdy, lightweight) pendant onto the spin pin. I did this once to spruce up a braided bun for a New Year's Day brunch (I was feeling festive!) and it worked fine. I wouldn't use the pendant as a handle to remove the pin though!

Aside from a plain braided bun (3 pins), I like to use 2 pins each in a pair of braided buns on either side of my nape (my hubby calls this the "Princess Leia" look, but in an approving way). When I do a rolled sock bun (rare), I use 3-4 spin pins to secure it. I also use a couple to make the "pinless" braided bun rock solid. ETA: I also use ~3 pins for a seashell bun.

longcurlygirl<3
March 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I am usually able to do only a cinnabun or a braided bun. I might need more to do any other bun

Anywhere
March 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I use them with a hairtie to make a messy bun.

Not sure if you're against hairties though.

papera
March 20th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Heyho, there is a German silversmith couple that make spin pins with decoration, check it out: http://senzalimiti.net/deutsch/kollektion/sonstiges/Noch%20mehr%20Haar.htm

Their stuff is handmade and just lovely! I have a fork, a hair stick, and I have the 3 of the Helen 3 (rhyme, rhyme:D) and I love them! Only the petals sometimes get caught in some fly-aways (no worries, it's still possible to get the spin pins out without cutting hair :D).

Unfortunately the website is currently just in German, but you can send them an email in English if you have any questions re ordering or so ... I know from other posts that they ship outside Europe. Just scroll down the page and click on "Kontakt":) (dunno if would be against forum rules to give you the email address directly, just wondering, because of helping to initiate business or so ... :shrug:)

curlsgalore
March 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Heyho, there is a German silversmith couple that make spin pins with decoration, check it out: http://senzalimiti.net/deutsch/kollektion/sonstiges/Noch%20mehr%20Haar.htm

Their stuff is handmade and just lovely! I have a fork, a hair stick, and I have the 3 of the Helen 3 (rhyme, rhyme:D) and I love them! Only the petals sometimes get caught in some fly-aways (no worries, it's still possible to get the spin pins out without cutting hair :D).

Unfortunately the website is currently just in German, but you can send them an email in English if you have any questions re ordering or so ... I know from other posts that they ship outside Europe. Just scroll down the page and click on "Kontakt":) (dunno if would be against forum rules to give you the email address directly, just wondering, because of helping to initiate business or so ... :shrug:)

They have a shop in etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/senzalimiti.....I wonder if they would do custom orders?

papera
March 20th, 2012, 06:45 PM
They have a shop in etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/senzalimiti.....I wonder if they would do custom orders?

Oh, I didn't know they were in Etsy ...

I'm sure they do! I know from the German version of LHC that some members requested custom orders and apparently it worked quite well! :D

melusine963
March 21st, 2012, 12:31 PM
I was just admiring some of the stuff on there. Then I saw the prices and choked. I think I'll have to stick to buying wooden hair forks for now.