PDA

View Full Version : Tea tree oil makes my hair greasy

Woods Nymph
March 19th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Has this happened to anyone else? I picked up a bottle of 100% Australian tea tree oil a few weeks ago & have added it to my usual shampoo. My scalp is usually very itchy (dandruff...eeeew!) so I decided to try it. I'm currently using a 3% concentration, up from 1% to begin with. It has helped the itchiness a fair bit, though not eradicated it completely. I've read that a lot of LHCers have experienced drying effects whilst using tea tree oil, but I'm having the opposite problem: it seems to be causing my hair ro become greasy more quickly than usual. I have to shampoo every other day anyway, but now by the end of day 1 after washing my hair the night before, my hair is a bit grimy already. :rolleyes: (It kind of makes me want to use it on my ends! I won't be doing this, however, don't worry!)
So, thoughts?

Nedertane
March 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but am considering it. What's the consistency/thickness like?

sfgirl
March 19th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Maybe your scalp is getting dry and than over producing? I know this happens to my skin, if I do too much to strip the oils. Or perhaps you could use the oil before you shampoo or something, so that the shampoo help gets it out. Sorry if I'm not super helpful! :(

Also, not to be mean, or rude or anything, but your font size is a bit hard to read, even with my glasses. Just letting you know!

Anje
March 19th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'm another person whose skin overproduces oils if I let it get dry, especially on my face and scalp. If your oiliness seems to be starting at the scalp (rather than looking like you've got over-oiled length), it would be worth at least considering that possibility.

Woods Nymph
March 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but am considering it. What's the consistency/thickness like?
It's pretty thin--the viscosity of water, almost. It makes my shampoo wicked watery, too, which is so fun when trying to actually get it on my head as opposed to the floor of the tub!

Maybe your scalp is getting dry and than over producing? I know this happens to my skin, if I do too much to strip the oils. Or perhaps you could use the oil before you shampoo or something, so that the shampoo help gets it out. Sorry if I'm not super helpful! :(

Also, not to be mean, or rude or anything, but your font size is a bit hard to read, even with my glasses. Just letting you know!

I'm another person whose skin overproduces oils if I let it get dry, especially on my face and scalp. If your oiliness seems to be starting at the scalp (rather than looking like you've got over-oiled length), it would be worth at least considering that possibility.

Thanks for the ideas! I did think of that; I've never really experienced overproduction before, but, hey, there's a first time for everything!
(sfgirl, sorry about the font size; I noticed it was kind of small. I attempted to fix it but to no avail.)