PDA

View Full Version : In need of some sort of updo that..

Orangerthanred
March 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM
doesn't make my face look short and wide. And round.

Okay, so I have to wear my hair up tomorrow for a class that requires it. However, I HATE the way I look like in ponytails and such. One of my friends has called me moon face (affectionately, but it still makes me feel like crap) and whenever I look in the mirror when my hair is up, I cringe.

My hair's between shoulder and armpit length and very wavy, poofy, and thicker than the average thick-haired person's hair... think of clown hair. So updos are limited, right? Plus I can only do a basic braid, and it looks like crap. I have no bangs at least (they would be super curly if I did).

Please help!

novemberfoxtrot
March 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I notice that I prefer having some sort of part when I do updos. Sometimes I make a center part, sometimes I take what would be my bangs and braid them before I pull them back. I don't know if that will work for you but I'm hoping we can find a way to make you feel as pretty as I'm sure you are!!

pepperminttea
March 19th, 2012, 04:38 PM
How 'up' does it have to be? Would a side braid work? If it doesn't turn out the way you hope, you can just say it's meant to be messy. ;)

white.chocolate
March 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM
First of all, you shouldn't be affected by what your friend said. Even if you think that you have a face rounder than the people around you, you shouldn't be ashamed of it, and that shouldn't stop you doing updos you'd really like to wear.

For your length, I can think of the Dutch crown braid (but not sure how it'll work), and 2 braids, one on each side, and bunned. How about the French twist? Hope you'll work something out.

kittengirl
March 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Can you do a French braid? If so, you could french braid it and then tuck the end up in the back. It flattens the hair out nicely. There are lots of french braid instructions online.

Iolanthe13
March 19th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm sure you're much prettier than you feel :) If you have a round face, a quite low bun with soft, draped sides (rather than pulled tight) and a side part might look nice.

Another good option is to add volume on top - I like to take the front section of hair, twist it and pin it so it looks fuller (I think it's a sort of pompadour?). With your hair, you probably wouldn't need to twist to get the volume. Also, really high, puffy buns have been trendy lately. Here's some inspiration: http://officialsexandlondoncity.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/top-knot-top-marks.html

I've seen so many people with beautiful round faces. I really wish people would stop writing about oval faces as the 'ideal' and saying any other shape needs to be corrected or compensated for.

Covet
March 19th, 2012, 05:10 PM
doesn't make my face look short and wide. And round.

Okay, so I have to wear my hair up tomorrow for a class that requires it. However, I HATE the way I look like in ponytails and such. One of my friends has called me moon face (affectionately, but it still makes me feel like crap) and whenever I look in the mirror when my hair is up, I cringe.

My hair's between shoulder and armpit length and very wavy, poofy, and thicker than the average thick-haired person's hair... think of clown hair. So updos are limited, right? Plus I can only do a basic braid, and it looks like crap. I have no bangs at least (they would be super curly if I did).

Please help!

No one has called me names when I tie my hair up but I really do hate my face being so exposed without my hair being there, so I feel your pain! I have no ideas about updos but I know how you feel :(

Sillage
March 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I've seen so many people with beautiful round faces. I really wish people would stop writing about oval faces as the 'ideal' and saying any other shape needs to be corrected or compensated for.

Agree 100%! Orangerthanred, you might be surprised by the number of high fashion models that have round faces. Lilly Cole is a good example.

Anyway if you want to help offset the roundness of your face, you can try using barrettes or combs to give your hair some volume where you need it.

lapushka
March 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM
One of my friends has called me moon face (affectionately, but it still makes me feel like crap) and whenever I look in the mirror when my hair is up, I cringe.

So what's her face like? I bet it's perfect, right? :roll: :p
Don't listen to her and do what you've done so far!

mzBANGBANG
March 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM
http://www.lovemaegan.com/2011/04/pretty-side-french-braid-low-updo-hair.html

This is one of my favorite updos. I do a lot of variations of it. You can put the front part of the hair in the braid, or leave it out. I like it better with a dutch braid, and use a small claw to "tuck" the braid toward my scalp. Also looks cute with a flower accent.

love from a fellow round-face. :)

Hollyfire3
March 19th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm sure you're much prettier than you feel :) If you have a round face, a quite low bun with soft, draped sides (rather than pulled tight) and a side part might look nice.

Another good option is to add volume on top - I like to take the front section of hair, twist it and pin it so it looks fuller (I think it's a sort of pompadour?). With your hair, you probably wouldn't need to twist to get the volume. Also, really high, puffy buns have been trendy lately. Here's some inspiration: http://officialsexandlondoncity.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/top-knot-top-marks.html

With the last part, i agree with you, my face is a bit squarer (is that even a word?) Think Holly Marie Combs (which is fine because i LOVE her) or Sandra Bullock, and i wish my face were slimmer at times.....but i have come to love it, because its me!

kidari
March 19th, 2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.lovemaegan.com/2011/04/pretty-side-french-braid-low-updo-hair.html

This is one of my favorite updos. I do a lot of variations of it. You can put the front part of the hair in the braid, or leave it out. I like it better with a dutch braid, and use a small claw to "tuck" the braid toward my scalp. Also looks cute with a flower accent.

love from a fellow round-face. :)

Love it! Thank you for posting that. Also, I agree that round faces look better with more voluminous updos but the volume has to be in strategic places: the center crown area of the head NOT the sides and below the ears NOT at the ears. A soft long bang also helps you hide your face a little if you are insecure about all the hair being away from your face. Or you can trim some tiny pieces of hair just in front of your ears and get them thinned out so they can fall naturally when your hair is up.

MissAlida
March 20th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I don't know if this will work for you, but this is what I do (I have a round face too). The key is to have volume on the crown, and to flatten the hair to the scalp on the sides. You can achieve this by backcombing (please don't do this, it is very damaging to the hair) or with a headband. I have dark hair, so I use a THIN (this is important) black headband. If your hair is lighter, you can use a light brown one. You can buy them anywhere. So, you detangle your hair, brush it all back and then you put on the headband. Try not to push it onto your scalp to much, leave a bit of a bump in front of the headband, towards your forehead (not a big one, just a bit of volume).Then pull all of the hair back, as if you were going to do a ponytail. You just have to be careful, and really smooth the sides down, while keeping a bit of volume on the crown area, just a bit more, than what you did in the front area(the hair that is in front of the headband). Then you can proceed to do any updo you want in the back. It can be a ponytail, a peacock twist, really anything, but the one I do, and find that it works best, is the cinnamon bun with a ficcare like clip. You can use a couple of bobby pins to secure the hairs on the sides of your head, so that they will lay flat against your scalp, just leave the crown area alone. I know this sound complicated, but it is really easy to do, it takes literally 1 minute once you get the hang of it. I hope you find the best updo. Good luck.:)
P.S.:don't worry about what others say. Round faces are just as beatiful as any other, you just have to find the hairstyles, makeups that make it look gorgeous. It takes a bit of experimentation, but the results are worth the time.:D

Mairéad
March 20th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I have a round face with no bangs and honestly feel pretty in all my updos. I actually think I look eons better with it up. I like it all pulled back and higher on the head as opposed to parted but parted hair also is fine with me . I swoosh it back with a headband then I do with the back whatever I please. A braid or a bun. I don't have a ton of hair yet so I'm a bit limited. Maybe a high sock bun would add some appealing "verticalness."