PDA

View Full Version : Wedding hair and makeup!

nmarie33
March 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Hello all,

Well I am getting married next year, and already people (my mom mostly :p) are starting to ask me if I will have my hair and makeup done professionally. I figured the makeup job couldn't hurt, as I have exactly zero makeup skills myself. But what to do with my hair?

I want to wear it down, and I don't wear it down often enough to really be good and consistent at making it look good down. I was kind of hoping for a Veronica Lake sort of look, which would mean smoothing my curliness down quite a bit. I like the idea of hiring someone to do it, if only I could be sure that the stylist is one that would be friendly to long hair and not want to superfry and shellac my hair just to look good on one day.

Does anyone know of a longhair friendly stylist in the Denver Metro area? Or should I just start practicing and try to do it myself? I do have plenty of time...

AnqeIicDemise
March 19th, 2012, 04:20 PM
While you look for a good LH friendly salon, I would start practicing myself. There are quite a few tutorials on YT with hot and cold methods of styling Veronica's iconic look, as well as heat free ways of straightening your hair if you need to do that first.

torrilin
March 19th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Veronica Lake's hair was probably a good bit shorter than yours. In most pictures I've seen of her, it appears to be around BSL.

Like most white women at the time, she had a heavily layered haircut with bangs that was meant to be pin curled and "set" for the hairdo to look good. Sometimes pin curls can work really well on curly hair, other times they're a total nightmare. You won't know how they work (or *if* they work) without some fairly serious practice. In most pictures, while her hair may look straight, it really really really isn't. Natural straight hair does *not* do that without help.

If you really love the Hollywood glamour of the 30's and 40's, it might be worth looking around to see if any other stars have a hairstyle that appeals to you and is something more natural for your hair. Some 20's stars have very attainable styles that involve buns, updos or other basic stuff in back, and all the fancy is done with the front hair. And even the ones with ultra fashionable cropped hair do not necessarily have a ton of work done to it. And while a lot of 40's styles are a huge amount of work, some are much simpler.

Another more attainable option would be to find a curl friendly stylist in your area. It looks like your hair is really gorgeous curly :). So if you can find a stylist who is curl friendly, you should be able to work out a way to show that off to best effect with your hair down. I've got a couple friends who are long haired and curly, and trust me, this is a really awesome look.